The Future of AoS

Overread

In a bit of a mood right now, so this isn't the positive outlook, but rather what they could do that I do not like.

They have not shown restrain in what is, and isn't removed, so they get rid of all order "normal" humans, dwarves and elves in AoS 3.0, after milking some sales with a halfbaked CoS released. They do not feel cartoony enough for some people. Stormcast is their new model human, anything relatable needs not apply.

They get rid of everything in Slaves to Darkness but the recent warbands, and make it so they can be taken as part of any army, to give them more visibility. They do not get good enough warscrolls to actually be used. Skaven get their metal and finecast removed, and are returned about a quarter of them in new plastic.

Orcs are united in their new book, but it's mostly a way to remove relevancy of savage orc models. Ironjaws are the way forward. Wolf riders remain a one off with mostly unusable rules in AoS (like most Underworlds remains).

Death will have old models removed or reruled into irrelevancy.

I would be gone from the hobby by then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

As far as fleshing out destruction I think there are actually a few possibilities. As a fan of Chaos Dwarf lore, I'd love the goblin wolf riders to be the vanguard of a full Hobgoblin Khans faction. There is plenty of potential to mix some of those older models with some of the cool stuff that was lost when the Gitmob were removed.

However I think that one possibility which hasn't been mentioned much is a full Giant army. I could see them making something like the Imperial Knights in 40K where an army is a very small number of huge models. You could expand on the trolls and include them as well, or they could form their own faction, separate to Gloomspite one day.

A faction spun out from goblin wolf riders makes a lot of sense now we've seen the beastgrave warband. Many of the Aos factions have been taking the coolest thing from an old world faction (slayers, witch elves, tree people, depraved chaos cultists, cairn wraiths etc etc) and expanding that into a full faction. So (hob) goblin wolf riders would fit that pattern. Thinking along those lines, are there any other very cool old world units which could still be made into their own faction? (other than the light/dark elf thing) 

A Knight-like giant army would be fun (giants festooned with cannons anyone?). But Beastclaw already kind of fill that niche. Several other armies can legally go <20 model count if you want (not necessarily very good, but possible) . So I'd be a bit surprised if they went that way myself. 

1 hour ago, Dr Ben said:

A faction spun out from goblin wolf riders makes a lot of sense now we've seen the beastgrave warband. Many of the Aos factions have been taking the coolest thing from an old world faction (slayers, witch elves, tree people, depraved chaos cultists, cairn wraiths etc etc) and expanding that into a full faction. So (hob) goblin wolf riders would fit that pattern. Thinking along those lines, are there any other very cool old world units which could still be made into their own faction? (other than the light/dark elf thing) 

A Knight-like giant army would be fun (giants festooned with cannons anyone?). But Beastclaw already kind of fill that niche. Several other armies can legally go <20 model count if you want (not necessarily very good, but possible) . So I'd be a bit surprised if they went that way myself. 

Scanning some of the old catalogues on the "stuff of legend" site could be informative, any thing from 1990 onwards seems to be the start of the classic warhammer setting. You get wardancers for wood elves, the goblins have a focus on crazy war machines. Bugman's drunken dwarfs could also be a possibility. Classic chaos warriors are iconic, so they could definitely mine that further. They could revisit some of the wackier dogs of war and mordheim units. More god specific beast men would be logical.

I would really like some sort of challenge issuing ala oldhammer in the game, so you can have hero on hero without getting shafted by other units piling in. Obviously this would need some thought applied as to how it could work or if it could at all, I just really liked that in wfb (and rank and file, square bases, flank charges, overkill, combat resolution, fear etc). Note: I do actually like AoS, just got a tad nostalgic for a second sorry. :)

As far as armies go, destruction and death are still way behind order and chaos in model range and battletomes. I admit  I'm biased as I play death and we had the rawest deal going until LoN got released. 

I’d love to see Death and Destruction brought up to 8+ factions each. There’s so much room for expansion and I believe the game can support anywhere up to 40 factions. It’s not likely but one can dream. 

Idea for fire expansion and release oof those two GA’s. 

Death

• Nighthaunt 
  • Flesh Eater Courts 
  • Ossiarch Bonereapers 
  • Soulblight 
  • Fleshshapers (zombies)
  • Courts of Death
  • Vampirates

Destruction

• Orruk Warclans 
  • Gloomspite Gitz 
  • Ogur Mawtribes 
  • Grotbag Scuttlers 
  • Oni
Edited by AthlorianStoners

I'm really surprised with all the destruction talk of new destruction factions that no one has mentioned the grotbag scuttlers, they're mentioned by name in the gloomspite tome and at least one other book, possibly forbidden power. Phil Kelly even described them on an aos  live stream, I cannot remember the exact description but it definitely made them sound like the grot sky-pirates people have been imagining since the kharadron release.

Edit: oops just read the above post, still no one seems to be discussing these little blighters.

Edited by Moonlightwolf
  • Like 1

@Moonlightwolf I think one reason is that multiple races have stories of stealing KO airships or building their own. Skaven, Goblins etc... I think many of us consider them to be nice ideas that GW throws out there as part of the story and ideas which would be fairly conversion heavy concepts; but perhaps not things that will become models. The game is still mostly about ground troops not airships. 

It's the kind of thing that might get fleshed out better if GW did a Man O War style of game - ships on the high seas coupled with airships for those factions which have them. A better suited scale to that kind of warfare and without bloating the core game with lots of mini-airships. 

Note that I have any problem with more air ships and a non-good airship based amy could be neat to see in the setting! 

33 minutes ago, Overread said:

@Moonlightwolf I think one reason is that multiple races have stories of stealing KO airships or building their own. Skaven, Goblins etc... I think many of us consider them to be nice ideas that GW throws out there as part of the story and ideas which would be fairly conversion heavy concepts; but perhaps not things that will become models. The game is still mostly about ground troops not airships. 

It's the kind of thing that might get fleshed out better if GW did a Man O War style of game - ships on the high seas coupled with airships for those factions which have them. A better suited scale to that kind of warfare and without bloating the core game with lots of mini-airships. 

Note that I have any problem with more air ships and a non-good airship based amy could be neat to see in the setting! 

Disagree.  I think Grotbag Scuttlers will see an appearance in AoS proper, rather than some sort of AoS version of Aeronautica Imperialis, or whatever.  There had just been too many mentions of them in too many places.  Quite frankly, there have been more mentions of Scuttlers in various GW publications, than there has been of things like the light/dark Aelves that folks seem to be so hot to talk about. 

What I CAN see is that perhaps Grotbag Scuttlers are not a full army themselves, but are rather just a small part of the reboot of Gitmob.  Like we all assume that the Scuttlers would be a full-on aerial force like KO.  But perhaps they are just merely like aerial support units for a more traditional ground-based Grot force.  A force that incorporates wolf riders like the new Underworlds guys?

While I fully recognize that trying to use fluff hints as a method of predicting GW release strategies is, shall we say...unreliable, THIS is something I could see happening.

• Like 1

I always assumed the grotbag scuttlers would be an evolution of the wacky contraptions side of gobo forces, Scrap ships as likely to explode as stay in the air. squads of doom divers that rained bombs down on those below, Some form of ship bourne catapult or other war machine, backed up by gun toting squads of grots. Figured they'd fit into the gap of being destruction's only properly shooty army.

14 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

Disagree.  I think Grotbag Scuttlers will see an appearance in AoS proper, rather than some sort of AoS version of Aeronautica Imperialis, or whatever.  There had just been too many mentions of them in too many places.  Quite frankly, there have been more mentions of Scuttlers in various GW publications, than there has been of things like the light/dark Aelves that folks seem to be so hot to talk about. 

What I CAN see is that perhaps Grotbag Scuttlers are not a full army themselves, but are rather just a small part of the reboot of Gitmob.  Like we all assume that the Scuttlers would be a full-on aerial force like KO.  But perhaps they are just merely like aerial support units for a more traditional ground-based Grot force.  A force that incorporates wolf riders like the new Underworlds guys?

While I fully recognize that trying to use fluff hints as a method of predicting GW release strategies is, shall we say...unreliable, THIS is something I could see happening.

I like this. As crazy as it sounds, making an elite, blitzkrieg style of gitmob army would be really fun. Scuttlers for aerial transport and bombarding with wolf riders for high speed ground maneuver troops.

11 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

A desert-based faction.

AoS clearly has most of the fundamental biomes (i.e. snow/ice, ocean, sky, forest, magma, etc.) covered, but a desert-based faction has been notably absent since TK were removed. The desert is a great potential source for spells, endless spells and unique terrain (e.g. sand tornadoes, pyramids, tombs, etc.), as well as fauna/mounts not covered elsewhere in the range (e.g. vultures, camels, scorpions, cobras, ibex, etc.).

While bringing TK back (probably as mummies, rather than skellies) is obviously the lowest hanging fruit in this regard, the faction could also be an Araby-esque human faction or, better still, a sort of Nubian/Araby/Moorish desert elf faction:

latest?cb=20150505015840

Also, Vampires. No need reinvent the wheel on this. As classicly gothic as possible to match the aesthetics of the Coven Throne and Neferata.

Finally... GIVE SKIN WOLVES THE BEASTS OF CHAOS KEYWORD!!!

No more Aelfs, please. Order is already majority Aelven.

Order is more Aelven than human, but yeah there's not a huge number now; esp that a large portion are going to join together in the Cities of Sigmar. At the very least I'd expect the Dark Aelves to appear - even though the current dark elf models haven't been culled heavily; GW has made Malarions people the main people of the Realm of Shadow. It would be very odd to have teased that army and set them up as a massive faction unto themselves (much like dwarves inhabit the realm of metal) and then not give them an army. 

3 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

They were listed in an Aelves article in White Dwarf.

Sure, because they were once closely allied with the Wood Elves, and there are leftover associations with that.

But make no mistake - Sylvaneth are not now, nor have they ever been (even back during the Old World tree spirits days) related to Elves, or considered to be elves (or Aelves) of any form

Edited by mikethefish

10 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

Sure, because they were once closely allied with the Wood Elves, and there are leftover associations with that.

But make no mistake - Sylvaneth are not now, nor have they ever been (even back during the Old World tree spirits days) related to Elves, or considered to be elves (or Aelves) of any form

99120204016_TreeRevenant01.jpg

• Thanks 1