Falling or jumping??

Greasygeek

Hi all

Yesterday I got a bit unsure as to whether we are playing the jump/falling rules correct. After checking the book and watching a few online battlereports I found the rules very contradicting but maybe it’s just me who are missing something🤔

So far we have played that if you end a move action in mid air, you have made a jump and thus falls to the ground. As the rules explain, this means that your opponent gets to place your warrior within 2” of the falling point.

In our example that means that it is almost impossible to jump into combat as your opponent would move your warrior out of range. It also means that jumping down close to the edge of deadly terrain is very bad idea as it probably sends you into the spikes.

That is how I read it in the rules  but is that correct?

F1075321-CD51-4F17-A02A-30DDE23449C7.jpeg

E6CC4D22-B5C1-4CEB-A205-66D1117538E5.jpeg

See the first paragraph of the jumping rules. You can move any distance vertically downwards as part of the jump, so you would place your model on a platform/battlefield floor as part of your jump, thereby at the end of the movement be on a surface (not mid-air). If you're actively choosing to leave them in mid-air after the move/jump you should follow the falling rules.... and you deserve all the punishment your opponent can mete out as a result 🤣

25 minutes ago, KoganStyle said:

See the first paragraph of the jumping rules. You can move any distance vertically downwards as part of the jump, so you would place your model on a platform/battlefield floor as part of your jump, thereby at the end of the movement be on a surface (not mid-air). If you're actively choosing to leave them in mid-air after the move/jump you should follow the falling rules.... and you deserve all the punishment your opponent can mete out as a result 🤣

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean....

I see the confusion, A jump does not end its action in mid air, a climb does not either, but a move that does would cause fall damage, I can't think of why you would want this but maybe there is a corner case I can't think of.

Edited by Nerdkingdan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nerdkingdan said:

I see the confusion, A jump does not end its action in mid air, a climb does not either, but a move that does would cause fall damage, I can't think of why you would want this but maybe there is a corner case I can't think of.

And after wracking my brain, I got it!   You're engaged, you're on a platform, you want out, you can't climb or jump as part of a disengage, so you move your 3 off the platform, and fall.

Edited by Nerdkingdan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, you can climb and fall at the end of your activation.  You have two actions per activation.  If you happen to climb up a wall, but can't end your move on a 1"x1" surface by the end of your activation, you fall.  If you fall 3" or more, you risk Impact Damage and your opponent can move your model.  Why would you do this?  You might climb and then realize you didn't have enough move to get to a 1"x1" space, or in some cases an opponent is blocking space on a platform and the only way to attack them is to spend 1 action to climb up within striking distance and then a second action to attack.  Then at the end of the activation if you are not on a 1"x1" surface, you fall.