Cases

BloodBeast

What are the cheapest and best options for cases for taking your army to events/pick up games? Seems like most of the really cool options are so expensive (especially here in Australia. Im looking for a cost effective option thats gonna keep my models safe.  

I've started to see people use those plastic storage boxes. What is done is magnets put underneath the bases of your models. Then, put a piece of sheet metal in the bottom of the box. Easy as that, the models are magnetized, standing up, and ready to travel. This won't do for airplanes, but should be fine for a ride down to the LGS or over a friends house.

50 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

KR Multicase for me - but they are chuffing pricy.  You can also end up in the scenario of never having the right shaped foam...

Which is why I actually really like the GW cases with the zig-zag foam, over custom cut or pluck-foam. They may not be the cheapest, but I think they are the most convenient and perhaps cheaper in the long run.

I can transport a really varied selection of models both in terms of size and amounts, plus I even put books or painting supplies into the (bottom) trays of the GW Crusade case, which works fine too.

I did see one other company making storage boxes with similar foam inserts, but I have forgotten which one it was, unfortunately.

I saw one of the new GW zigzag cases a few months back and was really impressed, especially for large odd shaped models. I bought my first KR before they came out and it's mostly for 40k which has a lot of similar sized units.  As somebody who public transports everywhere the import thing is that I can only carry 1 case and 1 overnight bag so the KRs work a better.  I'd certainly be looking at the GW zigzag if I have my own transport though! 

The best case depends heavily on your models and how you assemble them.

Many models can be very effectly trans portend in a shoe box with packing peanuts, while others need special care.

Foam: this is arguably your premium option for model transport. This tends to be more expensive and there are different kinds. Over all foam is great for all sort of trans port however, point parts of your models can easily snag result in bending g and damage. Metal and resin models do not fair well in foam. Resin can be bent from sitting on various sides for too long or form tossing around in he foam. Metal will sink your foam, but different foam types can counter this. One more big foam advantage is large gaps in your foam can act like just a regular box for some of your sturdy models. Also magnetized bits can act poorly in foam as they can come appart in there compartments bouncing round and getting lost.

Pluck foam or custom foam: all the above foam issues still exist but with exceptions. Custom foams tend to have a more solid foam underside to each layer preventing lo g term damage from metal models. Once foam is plucked in many cases that all  becomes unit specific. Which is the same for custom foam. This can take lots of space for units you don't want to take with you. Point models can still very easily get stuck and damage.

Zag foam: this is your GW foam. It's great because it lets you throw models in and they sort of make thier own space. This prevent having to use cavities like box's. However, metal models wreck this the most. Also heavy models or lots of models on a layer can cause all the models to slip through the way and all cluster underneath. The hard plastic case doesn't travel too well as they can crack, but you can rest assured your models won't. 

Magnet: either made cheaply or bought as part of a premium kit this can do really well to transport delegate models. Nothing is touching your models so no bending or worries about models shaving on foam. However, this doesn't do well in rough trips. Often the case doesn't distribute impacts well or the magnets are strong enough to resist impact. One a model or two starts moving it's in likely it will demagnetize itself allowing it to roll around like a wrecking ball. This isn't an issue inna car on a bumpy trip, but is an issue when your claiming your bags at a carage return. These cases take more space than foam cases, as space is used by base size times vertical high. Where foam can potentially only care about the exact models dimensions .

Home made: are nice, but can be frustrating, time consuming, or potentially dangerous to construct. I advise care when cutting metal plates as you can be injuries. This said you have a lot of control of the sturdiness of your case and it will almost always be 1/5 the price of premium items.

Promo magnetized case: (this is something I use most). This is a pregnant case often with some modularity and access o accessories. These airport travel the worst. Some can be really nice carry one like the ones from battle foam, and others just look nice like the ones from table war. They are safe and easy to out together, and usually come with magnets nice for warhammer bases. Additionally, the table war case comes with magnetized movement trys to pushing your models around. These are best in tournaments and events as its really easy to see all your models and knwo if your are missing in on the table or in your case. 

My recommendation would be to use both tactically. Table war has a nice small magnet case. Though I don't think UK shipping would be too friendly. It can cary on well and house your most delicate models. Battlefield has similar. Then the citadel foam cases work wonders for transporting your other models.

Hope this helps

44 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

Zag foam: this is your GW foam. It's great because it lets you throw models in and they sort of make thier own space. This prevent having to use cavities like box's. However, metal models wreck this the most. Also heavy models or lots of models on a layer can cause all the models to slip through the way and all cluster underneath. The hard plastic case doesn't travel too well as they can crack, but you can rest assured your models won't. 

I agree on the zigzag foam not being ideal for heavy metal models. I have some metal models, that transport in it fine, but some heavy metal Privateer Press beasts, I transport i pluck-foam instead.

About having problems when carrying lots of models in a tray, then I have not experienced that at all, and some of mine are completely full. Maybe it might be a problem if you have fairly empty trays, but even so I have found that the fact of the case "squeezing" the trays a bit when closed, helps keep everything in place.

I do find the notion that the hard plastic case cracking very unlikely, and the only thing making it less than ideal for travelling is the size (at least the Crusader) and lack of it being a backpack or having wheels and a long handle. But then if you really want to, you can even buy the backpack/strap that fits the case, although I think that's not worth it.

3 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

Which is why I actually really like the GW cases with the zig-zag foam, over custom cut or pluck-foam. They may not be the cheapest, but I think they are the most convenient and perhaps cheaper in the long run.

I can transport a really varied selection of models both in terms of size and amounts, plus I even put books or painting supplies into the (bottom) trays of the GW Crusade case, which works fine too.

I did see one other company making storage boxes with similar foam inserts, but I have forgotten which one it was, unfortunately.

Pleased to hear this, have one coming for my birthday, but none of my local group seem to use one.

Will it work well with awkward models like Glottkin, Plague Drones or Maggoth Lords?

2 minutes ago, Taketheskull said:

Pleased to hear this, have one coming for my birthday, but none of my local group seem to use one.

Will it work well with awkward models like Glottkin, Plague Drones or Maggoth Lords?

I don't have the Glottkin, but I have transported Plague Drones (glued on wings, which I regret :-) and a converted Maggoth Lord but at same size. Transporting models like those, will force you to take some of the insert trays out, though, so the overall capacity is lower, but it's doable.

Sometimes I transport 6 plague drones + Be'lakor + Kairos Fateweaver on the bottom layer of a Crusade, and have 60+ troop-type models in the top layer including odd shaped ones like Tzeentch heralds on discs.

32 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

I do find the notion that the hard plastic case cracking very unlikely, and the only thing making it less than ideal for travelling is the size

I've had this happen to me twice and to atleast 3 friends. One happend to a crusade, and another to a battle case.They can definitly crack on a drop. The hard case doesn't move around impact damage and a good knock on one of the corners will cause a fraction along the whole width of the case. This happend as iut dropped through the bagage return at the air port the first time, and onces down an short drop from out side the trunk of my car. Both times they were new cases, but i've been using the cases for over 10 years now?? and it's onyl happend the twice. 

But as i was making a complete list of everything i would be foolish not to mention this niche issue. Imagine going to a big mini convention or something and you start it off by spliting your main case. this would potentially ruin the entire event.  

This happens again, as the case is hard plastic with a realtively poor box design. This design takes impact very poorly. As such it doesn't matter to much how far it drops, just more on how heavy the case is and where it drops. If it drops on a corner you'll get two fractions one along the lid and one along the bottom of the case.

This how isn't.... the case (<.< mmmm punny)... with the Ard'case it's round shape and different material are more built for taking an impact, and as such will survive a drop more likely. 

Cardboard boxes, typically the ones that the larger GW kits come in. Pack enough miniatures into the box so they don't have room to move about. Add additional bubble wrap if there's a void.

Definitely the cheapest option by far

I use this. Just need to get new foam as of round bases.

Top tray.

fits 2 infantry trays easily. I take 1 tray and put a book or two in, my dice an tape measure. You could fit cav in if you wanted.

Middle box, cav, chariots, medium size monsters etc. Loads of space if packed correctly, will probably do most armies.

Bottom box.

Archaon,glottkin, etc, scenery. Tons of space left over after 

Costs about  £96. No foam.

Really sturdy as it's made for worksites, secure also. Lightweight.

I really enjoy it, I travel on public transport with it, it's a bit bulky but manageable. 

Screenshot_20160814-175224.png

Archived