The Great New Army Thread

Overread

Christmas boxed sets are really hard to impossible to predict. You can pretty much be certain stormcast and spacemarines will get them; but what will appear in them is very hard to say and for marines you don't even know which chapters might get one. Beyond that any army is valid though it would be interesting if anyone has ever compared year to year for a 10 year period and see if there's any patterns. Some armies might get one every single year - though for AoS that's a bit hard since its only had around 5 years of life and its been very choppy waters for a good 3 or so of those years. 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Christmas boxed sets are really hard to impossible to predict. You can pretty much be certain stormcast and spacemarines will get them; but what will appear in them is very hard to say and for marines you don't even know which chapters might get one. Beyond that any army is valid though it would be interesting if anyone has ever compared year to year for a 10 year period and see if there's any patterns. Some armies might get one every single year - though for AoS that's a bit hard since its only had around 5 years of life and its been very choppy waters for a good 3 or so of those years. 

We didn’t get Stormcast last year; IDK, DOK, StD, and Seraphon.

The first original idea I’ve had for AoS was the “Storrukcast Eternuls”, a group of Orruks who were made into Stormcast Eternals by Sigmar because of how honorable they fought against the Stormcast (This was before Stormcast we’re locked into only being Humans).

A very loose prototype here:

B217AAA1-DE9E-4387-AF08-A7560BDCE3F6.jpeg.46004075ee4b985128cec1755a2eb8d5.jpeg

If I were to seriously go forward with it, I’d add a lot more Ironjawz bits and choose units so I can use the army either as Ironjawz or SCE.

I also have every other army, and am way behind this year on catching up with boxes I haven’t built.

• Like 2

In a slightly different direction, I'm really hoping for a full Dwarfs release for Wawrhammer Legends when they come out with points. I've got a lot of old Dwarf stuff that I'm repainting and refurbishing and was looking forward to using it as the core of a CoS army, but a lot of that looks gutted from that army and there's already the old compendium only stuff that's in a somewhat broken(not the good kind) state(looking at you anvil of doom). I'd love to have that full army with the character names restored back into a working army.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

In a slightly different direction, I'm really hoping for a full Dwarfs release for Warhammer Legends when they come out with points. I've got a lot of old Dwarf stuff that I'm repainting and refurbishing and was looking forward to using it as the core of a CoS army, but a lot of that looks gutted from that army and there's already the old compendium only stuff that's in a somewhat broken(not the good kind) state(looking at you anvil of doom). I'd love to have that full army with the character names restored back into a working army.

A lot of players are hoping for this (i.e. AoS rules and basing, with Old World characters, lore and aesthetics).

It will all come down to how well the community takes up pointed Legends, as with no community/opponents there is obviously no game.

There is still a significant following for classic Dwarfs, Elves, Humans, Vampires, TK (etc.), so I'm hopeful

3 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

A lot of players are hoping for this (i.e. AoS rules and basing, with Old World characters, lore and aesthetics).

It will all come down to how well the community takes up pointed Legends, as with no community/opponents there is obviously no game.

There is still a significant following for classic Dwarfs, Elves, Humans, Vampires, TK (etc.), so I'm hopeful

There's still a few people around here that have armies much more built for the old world that I might be able to convince to play some Warhammer Legends games. And of course even if I don't get frequent battle in against other old world armies, the points will make them playable against regular AoS armies in even a casual pick up game.

I had longingly looked at Scourge Privateers for quite some time, but never dropped the hammer/cash as I was worried they would be squatted. When the Cities of Sigmar article mentioned them my worries were assuaged and I got started (40 corsairs, a chariot, kharibdyss and bitz to kitbash a fleetmaster).

Very excited to get my hands on the book once it’s out (and then decide on armament for my corsairs).

And eventually I want to get some Dark Riders to add, giving them (via oyumaru and greenstuff) Corsair-scaly cloaks.

But no Deepkin allies.

Any elf worth his (sea)salt fights upon the waves. Not under them nor swimming above them.

Preposterous.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Well, as a guy who played and  loved the old world dearly, I wasn't really happy with the betrayal of the witch kings long wish of destruction and ruling. i didn't really get why He basically abandoned his place and chose to cooperate with his most hated foe-things the high aelves.

Although, most of his underlings followed and chose to stay with him, some sort of dark aelves who basically disliked his forgoing, and chose to wander away into the oblivion cold storms in Ghrond.

Basically The idea was to build and convert an Aelves army, out of different High aelve, dark aelve and chaos parts,  that just barley survived the end times, build a city in the middle of nowhere, and are seeking the deaths of all things that have betrayed them(especially that of Malekith and his mother).

In the end it was just an idea, I had when I was visiting the mountains on a cold day.

Although I might just start with the project as soon as I know what units will be staying and what not, basically meaning I’ll be waiting for that cos book, that seems to have been forgotten, or just isn't out yet

the other Idea is to basically buy a few more Verminlord, till I’ll be able to basically build the shadow council of the skaven, and have fun with the different variations of Verminlord builds

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Love that idea Skreech. I have always thought a badly mauled and post apocalyptic Old World would have been a cool setting for the games reboot and that would be a great faction there.

Of course with the extreme freedom of the new setting it can easily work in the Realms too!

Well I am definitely going to wait till the cos book comes out, just to see which buffs work on which units, and what kind of interaction they will have with each other.

for example one of my ideas was to basically build my own Celestial hurricane, that can give all order units a buff of +1to the hit role, a need little buff for my possible future sight project, unless they change it’s rule.

I don really have any interest in building something, that than doesn’t synergies with my army.

well Bonereapers do tempt me into buying as well as fyreslayers.

I‘ve got about 180€ to spend on plastic and my deepkin and DoK are good to go without any further additions, i just need to paint. i‘ve got about 1800 points of sylvaneth that i currently paint.

so before i start a new army, i‘m clearing my backlog and wait patiently for the announcement of the christmas boxes.

1 minute ago, Panzer said:

So I was a bit bored at work and decided to use my rather poor photoshop skills to do a mockup of what I'm probably ending up doing once I get my hands on the models.

Basically this

pre9hSjl.jpg

is going to turn into this

30kVsXAl.png

No spinous process all over the body, no tail, no weird faces and no silly weapon holding with two arms on the same side.

• Like 3

My next two armies  (I'm a madlad that will probably work on 4 armies total sorta simultaneously, not counting skirmish games, terrain and painting skaven for my friend) will be Cities of Sigmar, because I've accumulated some Order units whille playing SCE and I love artillery - so Greywater Fastness was a natural choice. I even painted 2 crews for Hellstorm Rocket Battaries and Cogsmith in the cities colors during vacation.

My second new project will be glorius Bonereapers, they are just incredible. Unlike @Overread I'll buy Katakross FIRST, so I don't need to worry about finding him in stores later. And I'll buy way more of them than a sane person needs, 3 catapults, 3 harvesters, at least 3 units of stalkers, at least 2 units of immortis, at least 3 units of riders and a bunch of skelleton infantry. 

I love my armies BIG.

• Like 1

@XReN I'd love to get as many catapults as that - but I'm sort of going to try and hold off spending insane amounts all at once otherwise I'll just end up frontloading myself with too much backlog all at once. The other issue is I really want to see the points and such. I love big armies too, but I also love having practical choices to put on the table. A half dozen catapults might look cool but its no fun if I can never use them all at once ;)

I just hope GW releases them at the start/mid october not right at the end of the month! 

Edited by Overread

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

@XReN I'd love to get as many catapults as that - but I'm sort of going to try and hold off spending insane amounts all at once otherwise I'll just end up frontloading myself with too much backlog all at once. The other issue is I really want to see the points and such. I love big armies too, but I also love having practical choices to put on the table. A half dozen catapults might look cool but its no fun if I can never use them all at once ;)

I just hope GW releases them at the start/mid october not right at the end of the month! 

Well, I won't save up enough money to buy it all on release anyway. 

Good thing that we have yearly narrative event with MASSIVE 2 day battle (48 000 points this year) at it's core and many other players also have huge armies, so having a grand battle is just a matter of painting all of those minies.