Storage and transport solutions

I am experimenting with high quality black cardboard document boxes at the moment. I stick metal infused rubber to the base and stick models to this using neodymium magnets. I have four so far, three deep shoe box style ones and a large flat A2 document box.

Advantages: looks really attractive, robust enough for car trips on good roads, reasonably cheap, very quick to unpack.

Disadvantages: doesn’t stack well, not suitable for flying, only protect against light impacts, single model coming loose could cause big problems, security.

Might be a suitable method for those who mainly play in homes and don’t travel far.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AlmGandix3 said:

Could you give me a link to those magnets, that price is extremly good.

First hit on google so you might find it cheaper. it's only N35 and 3x2 mm (which should be enough for a plastic infantry guy though), I was pretty sure I have N52's (or at least that was what they where called - still aliexpress) but can't find the small magnets as N52 easily atm. I also have some 10x1 mm ones which are ofcourse more expensive per piece

BTW it's aliexpress... waiting times of 6-8 weeks are the norm unless you pay for shipping. But atm all my aliexpress orders have been recieved or refunded.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32637322450.html

slightly larger and N52.. double the price (I did get these for 3E but that was 2 years back.. but keeping an eye out for a discount might help too).

Edited by Aezeal

On 9/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, AlmGandix3 said:

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/kvissle-briefablage-weiss-70198031/

https://www.w6-wertarbeit.de/zubehoer/transportkoffer-trolleys/w6-naehmaschinen-transporttasche-overlock?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx7WHuPj04wIVE0TTCh2yZAz6EAYYASABEgIK9vD_BwE

those are german sites though so I dont know if you can get the bag somewhere else(there are probably some other sites).

One thing to note is that its really difficult to fit the kvissle inside the bag since its a tight fit. Just be stubborn like a duardin and it will fit.

I noticed that they're not shipping outside Deutchland or Austria

It's a sad news 'cause this case fits very well with kvissle and I'm searching for an alternative with similar measures but it's very difficult

2 hours ago, HMB said:

I noticed that they're not shipping outside Deutchland or Austria

It's a sad news 'cause this case fits very well with kvissle and I'm searching for an alternative with similar measures but it's very difficult

I just searched the big A for "bag, overlock". I think they should all fit, for they all fit the same sewingmashines.

I use the two storey GW one atm, as that was a present by the missus, but i intend to switch to a magnetic one asap. The foam just is too fiddly with all the modern fine, spikey bits. And i don't even play Chaos, he.

Considering models sliding on a metal sheet, you can always take a slice of foam and glue that to a magnet to prevent bumps. I saw that on a Kickstarter somewhere, along with several sheets for sideways fixation and other funny ideas for dice and stuff.

13 hours ago, NeoA said:

I just searched the big A for "bag, overlock". I think they should all fit, for they all fit the same sewingmashines.

yes right, but not all of them have the right dimensions and the zip on the front face but often in the middle. This could not be te right solution 'cause you need (in case on the zip in the middle) to put out the entire box 

2 minutes ago, HMB said:

yes right, but not all of them have the right dimensions and the zip on the front face but often in the middle. This could not be te right solution 'cause you need (in case on the zip in the middle) to put out the entire box 

The bag i use has the zip in the middle, and i quite like it.

Ok, i habe to take the box out, but it is less of a strugle to put it in. So i can store my minis in multiple kvissle and just put the ones i need in the bag.

1 minute ago, NeoA said:

The bag i use has the zip in the middle, and i quite like it.

Ok, i habe to take the box out, but it is less of a strugle to put it in. So i can store my minis in multiple kvissle and just put the ones i need in the bag.

Can you show me your bag?
or a link where i can purchase it

12 hours ago, Lucur said:

Considering models sliding on a metal sheet, you can always take a slice of foam and glue that to a magnet to prevent bumps. I saw that on a Kickstarter somewhere, along with several sheets for sideways fixation and other funny ideas for dice and stuff.

Never had models slide on a metal sheet if I'm honest!  I guess it depends on if the sheet has any form of coating on it.  Magnetic sheet on the other hand can often lose it's magnetic properties over time.

12 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

So the verdict is that the new Zig-Zag Foam cases from GW aren't worth it then? They don't substantially help for the newer type models?

They're OK for some models, but if your army has any fragile or spiky bits (i.e. many of the modern AoS range) any kind of foam is more hassle than it's worth.

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, AlmGandix3 said:

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/kvissle-briefablage-weiss-70198031/

https://www.w6-wertarbeit.de/zubehoer/transportkoffer-trolleys/w6-naehmaschinen-transporttasche-overlock?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx7WHuPj04wIVE0TTCh2yZAz6EAYYASABEgIK9vD_BwE

those are german sites though so I dont know if you can get the bag somewhere else(there are probably some other sites).

One thing to note is that its really difficult to fit the kvissle inside the bag since its a tight fit. Just be stubborn like a duardin and it will fit.

Hi,

short question: How well did the Kvissle fit into the bag? I just have received my bags delivery (ordered the same ones as in the link) and the bags are actually too small for the kvissle to fit

2 hours ago, Charleston said:

Hi,

short question: How well did the Kvissle fit into the bag? I just have received my bags delivery (ordered the same ones as in the link) and the bags are actually too small for the kvissle to fit

It's actually quite difficult to get the kvissle inside, but it fits. 

First I set it on the hard bottom of the bag and carefully pulled the two upper corners over the kvissle (just a little).

After that it will take a long time to put it in completely I recommend to pull the corners a little bit over it in an alternating order. 

It will take quite sometime and you may need a second person for the first step.

If it still doesn't work for you I'll try to write it in more detail.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AlmGandix3 said:

It's actually quite difficult to get the kvissle inside, but it fits. 

First I set it on the hard bottom of the bag and carefully pulled the two upper corners over the kvissle (just a little).

After that it will take a long time to put it in completely I recommend to pull the corners a little bit over it in an alternating order. 

It will take quite sometime and you may need a second person for the first step.

If it still doesn't work for you I'll try to write it in more detail.

Thanks but I just finished it. Was ein Kraftakt :'D Won´t do that ever agin in my life but at least it worked :D Thanks a lot

On 9/5/2019 at 12:28 PM, Overread said:

There's a few options:

1) Magnetic tray cases are the current "new hotness" with Battlefoam making inserts for their cases and I beileve there's one or two companies making dedicated magnetic tray cases. Basically you stick a neodymium magnet on the bottom of every model (perhaps more on big ones) and then the "case" is simply a box with a metal sheet on the bottom. You put the model in and the magnet sticks to the sheet and its stored. The bonus is that you can store a LOT more models this way than you can with foam and its easy to change what you take because you don't have to change the foam packaging. It's also good for a lot of armies which are getting a lot of big things into them. Trying to pack armies like Tyranids or such is getting hard when they take up so much room. 

The downsides are:

a) you want to pack the magnets after the glue is try, surrounding them with some greenstuff or such to improve their hold on the base of the model - reducing the chance of them popping off. 

b) It's good for models which are very solid in stature, but things like Khinerai or any flying unit or mode with a very small contact to its own base is at risk of wobbling off and snapping/weakening its connection point.

c) Most of the cases will take bumps/knocks but in general you're still trusting the magnet and if something comes off its going to bounce around. This is likely more an issue for much heavier models such as big chunky old models made of metal - things like a solid old dreadnought would be a risk. 

Of course with some cases like battlefoam you can mix magnet trays and foam. 

Magnets all the way,  I've found it so much better than any other method I've tried. If you don't have a lot of really tall models you can even stick them in a cantilever toolbox which is an incredibly handy and space-efficient way to transport an army.  With a strong glue and a strong magnet (or multiple magnets) you don't need to use greenstuff or worry about heavy models moving around. 

Weak contact points could be a concern but if your model doesn't fall apart when you touch it the vibrations of being transported in a car (or on foot,  or on a train) probably aren't going to do it any harm. 

Edited by Orsino

Get:

1) Plastic Transport/Storage Boxes (check depth vs tallest models you pack)

2) Self-Adhesive magnetic sheets

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/magnets/element-essentials-magnetic-sheet

Link to EE here for reference how it looks. You can get this in almost any "Office/Hobby/Book" store as they have more applications.

3) Optional - Movement trays (if you use movement trays)

Next:

1) Stick magnetic sheets directly on box bottom.

2) Place models on sheet (remove foil, turn around and stick models (or just bases) on sheet.

3) Cut out models/bases from sheet. You will now have "flat" magnetic sheet in size of base under models fitting outer edge of base.

Optional - un-stick sheets from bases and add some basing/quick glue to really glue it back. (I find it not necessary even for big models)

Optional - Stick magnetic sheets into Movement Trays (before or after assembly) and under trays. Your trays now stick to box, and models stick to trays. Check rotation before sticking!

TADA:

Your models now stick to Box (very strong shaking can still make models loose). Due nature of magnets in sheets, rotation is important :) I suggest setting whole unit into "formation" when cutting sheets. If you magnetize movement trays, you'll have them facing where you want. Personal preference tho.

Pros vs NeoMagnets:

* FAST

* CHEAP

* NO GLUE (just knife)

* (light) Models will not stick/jump on each other! I had some Pirates "jumping" at each other when moving/removing them on board with Neo ones.

Cons:

* Rotation makes difference (can also help with un-sticking model tho, just rotate a bit and it gets "loose" it will never stick so hard you'll break something getting it apart)

* Weaker magnetic bond. Good for transport by Car / Train / Hand Carry etc.. with occasional small bump. Can take country road and it will be fine. But not for planes (thing's get tossed, I would use foam here).

* Some terrain, you could have tiny bit more placement issues due now FLAT base not bit hollowed out. Eg. Steep Stairs / Rocks etc. I support notion that model needs to stand firmly on terrain and play as such even if it's not "optimal" so I'm not bothered. But if you have 120 goblins all over some hill... well :)

Common issue:

If you use metalic markers (badges) for buffs/objectives/etc... you'll be sad as those stick to your models when on table and you'll move objectives or get buff stuck under your model. It's less of issue with sheet than Neo(stronger).