Storage and transport solutions

I've been thinking a lot about storage solutions recently, and wondered what the consensus is on the newer style GW carry cases.

Traditionally I've preferred the older style carry cases with the slotted foam layers, since these are pretty robust and compact. Most of my mini collection is fairly traditional infantry, or 25mm scale figures.

However an increasing number of newer models simply don't fit into the standard slot sizes. Warhammer figures are creeping up to 32 mm scale, and the prevalence of larger bases makes it physically impossible to fit things into slotted foam trays, even if the models themselves might fit!

Fpr larger models and terrain I used the "keeping them standing up in Really Useful Boxes" approach. However when you are trying to store an entire army these take up a lot of space, and for some reason the deeper trays for the boxes are bizarrely hard to find.

I've always liked eggshell foam for cavalry scale figures, but for newer armies these sorts of model sizes are the rule rather than the exception. Many are far too fragile to work with eggshell foam without snapping off protruding limbs every time you close the case.

I've recently finished painting a 2000 point-ish nighthaunt force, which has similar problems. So far they've just lived on a display shelf, but the time has come for them to make way for the next project, and go to live in a box for a while. I was looking at the Warcry figures in the store, and while all of those whips and spiked chains look amazing, I just can't see them surviving for more than a couple of trips in and out of the box.

So the only thing I haven't tried (to my knowledge) are the newer GW style foam cases.

Clearly they have introduced these around the time they shifted to basing more of their standard troops on 32 mm rounds, so I have every confidence that it would help for that problem. GW must also know that they currently have a trend for fragile fiddly bits on plastic models, so the question is do the newer cases actually store those without them just snapping?

In short; are they worth the investment?

Does anyone know of a way to store spiked chain wielding plastics without resorting to just keeping them in a glass display cabinet all the time, and having a minion carry them to the gaming table upon a satin cushion with all the pomp and circumstance of a coronation?

• Like 2

There's a few options:

1) Magnetic tray cases are the current "new hotness" with Battlefoam making inserts for their cases and I beileve there's one or two companies making dedicated magnetic tray cases. Basically you stick a neodymium magnet on the bottom of every model (perhaps more on big ones) and then the "case" is simply a box with a metal sheet on the bottom. You put the model in and the magnet sticks to the sheet and its stored. The bonus is that you can store a LOT more models this way than you can with foam and its easy to change what you take because you don't have to change the foam packaging. It's also good for a lot of armies which are getting a lot of big things into them. Trying to pack armies like Tyranids or such is getting hard when they take up so much room. 

The downsides are:

a) you want to pack the magnets after the glue is try, surrounding them with some greenstuff or such to improve their hold on the base of the model - reducing the chance of them popping off. 

b) It's good for models which are very solid in stature, but things like Khinerai or any flying unit or mode with a very small contact to its own base is at risk of wobbling off and snapping/weakening its connection point.

c) Most of the cases will take bumps/knocks but in general you're still trusting the magnet and if something comes off its going to bounce around. This is likely more an issue for much heavier models such as big chunky old models made of metal - things like a solid old dreadnought would be a risk. 

Of course with some cases like battlefoam you can mix magnet trays and foam. 

2) Simply use a new tray system. KR Multicase is a good option and make good foam and their staff are very good at giving advice on how to store things. I've had my eye on tehir cases for a long while - it just seems every time I save up these days GW goes and releases a new battletome/army that sucks up my money! The only downside is that they've yet to try out/embrace the magnetic tray storage method. 

One bonus of their system is that their cases are made to hold card boxes (well made) which hold the foam. So you can slot in and out the box trays for different armies and it means that if you buy enough trays to house your collection; you can keep the whole thing stored all the time and ready to swap over into the case.  

I was a LARPer before I started Warhammer, I even make my own LARP weapons. This means I have quite a bit of experience making foam do what I want. I make my own foam sheets, which so far has worked. I have not tried to transport the most outlandish models, or more than some 40 yet, so I will have to change a few things.

Yeah, I've got a few KR cases they are good, but have to be tailored to the model a fair bit.

I'm not sold on magnets for precisely the reasons you suggest. Often the weak point is between the base and the rest of the model, so securing the base tightly and leaving the top heavy part unsupported can be counterproductive.

I tend to get the inset trays for RU boxes and line them with the thin foam sheets you get in blister packs (or used to, I know GW have stopped doing them, but most other manufacturers still do). Then models can either stand up in a rows, or lie on their sides, with foam in between to keep them separate. But it takes up a lot of space to do it that way.

I'm a massive advocate of magnetised cases, I use public transport for travelling to the majority of gaming venues I visit, and so far haven't had any breakages (WHW is a 45 minute bus journey followed by 4 hours on the train with 2 changes).

There is a certain amount of dead space in a case - but not as much as you might think.  I think my 2000 point Khorne army just about fits into 2 KR boxes and my Grand Host and Legion of Grief would require 3 KR boxes.  In comparison my Battlefoam Magnarack will hold any of them (with the exception of the Legion of Grief Mortis Engine which needs it's own box).  I'm currently waiting delivery of a A-Hybrid case to replace my Magnarack (the fixed shelves make the case really awkward to pack and unpack from).

There are some disadvantages in using magnets as they can pop off (but we all pack superglue don't we 😉).  Normally this only happens for me if the magnet is physically in contact with the metal shelf.  If you can maintain a small air gap and glue the magnet on a flat part of the base they're generally OK, providing you're not too thrifty with the glue.

• Like 3

I just use some document organisation boxes with pull-out trays from IKEA. They are made of metal, so u can just glue magnets under your minis and they stick perfectly fine.

And the boxes fit perfectly in a bag for overlock-sewingmachines.

Not the greatest eyepleaser, but functional and not to costly.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AlmGandix3 said:

I did the same as NeoA ,its about 40 €. I can make some pictures if you want to see certain models in comparison. I got some bonesplitterz, dispossessed and death to compare.

I have an A-Case that i use with my magnetized models, but i need something bigger to transport more models. I was thinking of those documents boxes. So please could you show me your set-up ?

I don't want to spend cash on not minis so I use aliexpress magnets (2-3 euro per 100) and have 2 simple blue metal toolboxes(15-20 e). Each fits a 2k army including dice , measuring tools markers etcetc. except for the largest models (alarielle is a problem but treelords are not; trees for sylvaneth are annoying for any transport solution too I'd guess). I don't bother greenstuffing the magnet but keep  glue on hand since magnets will get loose ( a loose model isn't a problem really tbh unless metal model are bouncing together.

Edited by Aezeal

5 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I don't want to spend cash on not minis so I use aliexpress magnets (2-3 euro per 100) and have 2 simple blue metal toolboxes(15-20 e). Each fits a 2k army including dice , measuring tools markers etcetc. except for the largest models (alarielle is a problem but treelords are not; trees for sylvaneth are annoying for any transport solution too I'd guess). I don't bother greenstuffing the magnet but keep  glue on hand since magnets will get loose ( a loose model isn't a problem really tbh unless metal model are bouncing together.

Could you give me a link to those magnets, that price is extremly good.

I’ve recently purchased the smallest GW case to transport warcry warbands. I can fit about 15 minis max in it, you kinda have to be careful when putting them in/out but I like that it fits in a small backpack. If I start moving my minis more often or playing larger games,  I think I’ll go with a magnet case of some sort.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hystarion said:

That's really nice indeed ! Do you remember the brand/model of the bag ?
Thanks !

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/kvissle-briefablage-weiss-70198031/

https://www.w6-wertarbeit.de/zubehoer/transportkoffer-trolleys/w6-naehmaschinen-transporttasche-overlock?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx7WHuPj04wIVE0TTCh2yZAz6EAYYASABEgIK9vD_BwE

those are german sites though so I dont know if you can get the bag somewhere else(there are probably some other sites).

One thing to note is that its really difficult to fit the kvissle inside the bag since its a tight fit. Just be stubborn like a duardin and it will fit.

• Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 4

2 minutes ago, NeoA said:

I put the little lids on the trays in the IKEA thingy in the back an put magnets on them as well, so the trays stay in place even if i tilt the whole thing.

I put magnets inside aswell, you can see them in my pictures. I have the lips on the upside so I have the lip for a easier model fit, and it sits flat on tables.

Just now, AlmGandix3 said:

I put magnets inside aswell, you can see them in my pictures. I have the lips on the upside so I have the lip for a easier model fit, and it sits flat on tables.

Ok, that was a case of spontanous blindness on my side. 😉

• Haha 1

If you can, try and get a hold of empty yugioh mega tins. Many cardstores that sell singles sell them for like 50 cents and can easily be repainted. Then you magnetize the base of your minis and carry them in these boxes. Each tin can easily hold 40x 25mm rounds. I personally transport stuff like idoneth eels in these. If you are afraid they move around you can even glue some sprue here and there to stop sliding.

These tins are an awesome storage solution IMO

I just used a metallic sheet, one of those you put on a wall to have stuff you need to at eyes level (important papers for ex). I put it inside my laptop's cardboard box and tadaa. Cheap transportation :). Minis can be tall, as long as they' aren't phat, it's ok, cause I can put them sideways and they'll adhere with the side metallic sheet

photo_2019-09-08_16-50-15.jpg

photo_2019-09-08_16-50-15 (2).jpg

• Like 2