Newbie with Beast Claw

the hatchetboy

Hi all, I'm returning to Warhammer for the first time in about (redacted large number) years.  Having played a number of other systems for a good long while I'm kinda returning to my roots (WHFB and then 40k since I was a wee nipper).

The beautiful Beast Claw raiders box, the General's Handbook and the simplified rulesystem all have aligned.  Plus the feeling that with non-UK based manufacturers getting more expensive and what seems like a more sane pricing policy from GW...

Anyway, I've bought a Icewind assault starter box and a couple of other bits and pieces.  I'm playing my first game on Thursday so I better get assembling and painting!  Here's my starter for 1500:

General:

Huskard on Thundertusk (340) - which is better - the Vulture, Crossbow or Chaintrap?

Leader:

Icebrow Hunter (160)

Battlelines:

Frostsabres x2 (60)

Frostsabres x2 (60)

Frostsabres x2 (60)

Mournfang Pack x4 (400) 

Monsters:

Stonehorn Beastriders (360) - Again the vulture or the chaintrap?

Battalions:

Skal (60) - Ambushing Frostsabres seem like incredible objective grabbers and just a general PITA

What does everyone think?  I'm not looking to be massively competative, just have some fun and push some models around....

the Vulture, Crossbow or Chaintrap?

Personally I'm a fan of the Vulture, it's at least a guaranteed Mortal Wound somewhere, where as there is a good chance of not hitting / wounding with the other options (plus it has a great range).

I really like the Skal formation on paper but I need to give it a try, as you say it can be great for objectives but can't take a lot of damage so it can be cleared off quickly.

You could drop the formation & a unit of Sabres to give Yeti's a try - I'm liking them so far.

Yep.  But there ar two battleline in the list (mournfang and stonehorn)

I just played the listing against nurgle. The cats died hard, and I lost.  I forgot to shot the thundertusk on turn 2 which probably cost me the stonehorn. That probably cost me the game.  Really like the list, though I'll definitely be trying the yetis.

1500's an odd total to aim for, but the choices seem fairly solid.

Personally I'd try an all our Frost Sabres gambit, Hunter, 3 x squads of 4 Frost Sabres, 1 squad of Yhettes and a pair of Mournfang riders at 1k points

I want to run a Jarl and a Skal, with like 2x 10 packs of cats...

And I love the vultures for the rules, but I'm also thinking of giving all my heroes vultures, even the thundertusk, just for cool ****** on the table. I'm also using tyranid gargoyles so serious aesthetic bonus for me IMO. 

After a few games I'm starting to see some downside to low model counts! (Big beasts are fun but not great in objective missions).

im thinking of expanding into Destruction units to get access to more spammy battle line units. The options seem to be:

* Savage orruks - 100 points gets 10 models with 20 wounds and a 5+ save. Moderate hitting power

* orruks - 100 points gets 10 models with 10 wounds and a 5+ rerollable save. Moderate hitting power. Ok range attacks as an option  

* grots - 100 points gets 20 models with 20 wounds and a 5+ save with shields. Poor hitting power. 

I'm tending towards savage orruks for the wound count, though I could make a case for orruks as if they're sitting in objectives they can at least shoot stuff. 

Any thoughts?

55 minutes ago, the hatchetboy said:

Any thoughts?

IMO, this is 100% the way to go as opposed to pure BCR - at least if you're intending to play Matched Play battleplans etc. I say "IMO", but I think you'd find its a common opinion shared by many, so I'd say you're on the right track.

As for which units to take, that's down to personal preference. I think Savage Orruks, Ogors and Moonclan Grots are all totally viable. A lot will come down to theme/aesthetics within your army I guess. Not sure anyone could claim one option is outright better than the others.

My current list idea

Frost lord on Ttusk

Huskard on Ttusk

Battleline of:

2×3 Yhetee 

Ttusk 

And a Skal of:

2 Hunters and either 4×2 kitties or 2×4 kitties.

Lots of debuffs all around. Ambushing hunters+cats to grab stuff other deal with pesky stuff in the back.

1 hour ago, Durty B said:

@Malakithe I was thinking the same thing for a while. I picked up 18 Yhetee off eBay and I'm figuring out where they slot in. What's stopping me is the FL on the TT instead of the SH. The Horn is just so much more brutal. 

Yeh Frostlord on Stonehorn is utter bananas, so solid! Pop a cheeky Battle Brew on him for even more brutality.

1 hour ago, Durty B said:

Picked up two boxes of fenrisian wolves for the Saber tusks. 

Good choice.

Yeah I was thinking about the FL on stoney but I would need to rework the entire list. The FL on ttusk works better with the other 2 ttusks and yhetees for the overall strategy of the list. 

The FL on stoney is super brutal  ut would require everything else to work around him with my strategy.

Plus points lol

After a few games I'm starting to see some downside to low model counts! (Big beasts are fun but not great in objective missions).

im thinking of expanding into Destruction units to get access to more spammy battle line units. The options seem to be:

* Savage orruks - 100 points gets 10 models with 20 wounds and a 5+ save. Moderate hitting power

* orruks - 100 points gets 10 models with 10 wounds and a 5+ rerollable save. Moderate hitting power. Ok range attacks as an option  

* grots - 100 points gets 20 models with 20 wounds and a 5+ save with shields. Poor hitting power. 

I'm tending towards savage orruks for the wound count, though I could make a case for orruks as if they're sitting in objectives they can at least shoot stuff. 

Any thoughts?

Savage orruks only have one wound each. Morboyz and arrowboyz have 2 wounds.

Im also thinking about which battleline to use with my BCR as destruction allegiance seems so much better than their own.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've just bought a bunch of savage orruks. Probably enough for a small army. ;)

I'm currently toying with a list like this:

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Artefact: Battle Brew
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Artefact: Gem of Seeing
Savage Big Boss (100)

Units
Savage Orruk Arrowboys x 30 (300)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)

Behemoths
Thundertusk Beastriders (320)

War Machines

Batallions
Kunnin' Rukk (60)

Total: 2000/2000

Savage orruks only have one wound each. Morboyz and arrowboyz have 2 wounds.

Not true. Savage Orruks have two wounds each now - check/update the app.

Thank you for the info. Actually had to uninstall the app and re-download everything until it showed me the correct warscroll.

App is a nice idea but still very very buggy :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Archived