Sigmar's Stormcrows. A SCE Plog.

yarrickson

I've decided to put my money where my mouth is and am building a shooting focused Stormcast army. The hope is it'll shake up the local meta (a lot of dominant Slaanesh), be a bit of a different army style for me (last three armies were evocators spam, Thunderscorn and quad Verminlords) and hopefully be good fun too. 

As this is my third Stormcast army I wanted to do something a little different as I've done vanilla Stormcast the first time around and the second time around I mixed and matched a bit with vampire/hooded head swaps. So this time I'm going with a crow/raven/bird theme. I'd call it AOS28 but think it falls short of deserving that label, although sticking bird skulls on anything does make it about 20% more John blanchey. 

I ordered a job lot of raven helmeted heads from the fantastic Zinge industries, and will be using these on all my Stormcast. The heads are a bit space marine-esque at the moment but I'm confident that'll change once I apply paint with brush. I'll also lean heavily on the bird skulls from the citadel basing kit, and apply my limited green stuff skills. 

Anyway here's some pictures of the start of the project. Two Lords Veritant with attendant Gryph Hounds, and a bakers dozen of Castigators, the poor ****** children of the Sacrosanct chamber, but a unit I want to try out. 

My target is to have 2k painted and pretty for The Howling in October, so less than 8 weeks all in. Always find a plog helps, so here we go. 

IMG_20190830_225222_5.jpg

IMG_20190830_225235_2.jpg

IMG_20190830_225248_3.jpg

IMG_20190830_225326_4.jpg

IMG_20190830_225144_4.jpg

IMG_20190830_225341_8.jpg

IMG_20190830_225315_7.jpg

IMG_20190830_225257_2.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/31/2019 at 12:20 AM, yarrickson said:

theme. I'd call it AOS28 but think it falls short of deserving that label, although sticking bird skulls on anything does make it about 20% more John blanchey. 

No it doesn’t fall short! Cool concept though. Love the creepy stormcast. 

• Like 1

Another 24 chaos drybrushed and based. 

That only leaves 15 Castigators to spray drybrush and base then that's the whole main army to that basic standard. 

After that the whole 64 models will get dirty metal trim, nightmare inducing yellowed beaks, and leather and scrollwork etc coloured in too. 5 weeks till the event I'm aiming for so should be very doable. Might even have time for practice games, even if only against myself. 

IMG_20190917_201013_7.jpg

• Like 1

Came out of lurk to say that I really appreciate this project. Stormies being played differently, skew lists, mass head swaps and themed armies are all things I dig, so cheers across the board 🍻

The crew is coming together, and I look forward to when you work in the pop colors to differentiate all that brown a bit more. Also props on the head recommendation, I had been looking for hawk/raven heads for some Tzeentch chaos warriors, so promptly ordered a bunch of Zinge's up as soon as I saw this plog!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boss Salvage said:

Came out of lurk to say that I really appreciate this project. Stormies being played differently, skew lists, mass head swaps and themed armies are all things I dig, so cheers across the board 🍻

The crew is coming together, and I look forward to when you work in the pop colors to differentiate all that brown a bit more. Also props on the head recommendation, I had been looking for hawk/raven heads for some Tzeentch chaos warriors, so promptly ordered a bunch of Zinge's up as soon as I saw this plog!

Haha, glad to be of use. 😁

Since I've gotten all the models to the same 3 colour base standard I've started on the detailing, beginning with the leather, and the beaks. Adds a splash of colour. 

I wouldn't normally paint an army in this whole batch kind of way, but I'm enjoying it for a change. Also not worrying too much about shading, blending or highlighting and just slapping down some drybrushing and splodgy blocking in is oddly freeing. Tempted to say its the most fun I've had painting an AOS army in a couple of years. 

IMG_20190924_215530_2.jpg

• Like 5

Spent an hour or two washing the leather tonight. Then thought I'd see if this army will fit on the display board left over from my last Stormcast Army. Thankfully they do just fit. I'll just need to order a new plague with Sigmar's Stormcrows on it to replace the old one. 

Signed up for a local GW event in 2 weeks, mostly to give some practice before The Howling in 4 weeks time. Should still be plenty of time for further detailing including metals and shoulder icons. 

IMG_20190929_220806_7.jpg

IMG_20190929_220833_6.jpg

IMG_20190929_220842_3.jpg

IMG_20190929_220821_1.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1