Nighthaunt's Most Wanted for Beginner

Battlefury

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen,

I would like to ask you, what you think would be the Most Wanted models to get started with a Nighthaunt army, that would be played for competetive games.
Also i would really appreciate, if you give one or two sentence, why you made that choice.
Please bring also a sentence, if you think that Nighthaunt is competetive, or not.

Let us seperate into

Heros
Units
Behemoths
Support

Thank you very much for your thoughts & ideas!

Cheers///

There are two main ways to run Nighthaunts:

Nighthaunt Allegiance.  This army is aggressive but unreliable, putting a lot of stock in rolling big on charges, both to reach combat from deep strike 9" away and to activate the bonus round of free attacks for charge rolls of 10+.

Legion of Grief.  This army is more recursive and reliable, but less dynamic & aggressive,  putting less weight on big charge rolls and more on recursion of summonable models via grave sites & deathly invocation and buffing them up with spellcaster support.

I'm not sure what the best core units are to build a Nighthaunt army around after the last round of points revisions, but I personally wouldn't field them without the Chronomantic Cogs endless spell to help with those charge rolls and Reikenor the Grimhailer to get the cogs on the table with his bonus to cast.  Beyond that, Bladegheists are great as a solid, semi-efficient melee elite unit that can withdraw and re-charge in subsequent rounds for another shot at that bonus damage, so I'd look at them.  They even have a formation with Reikenor.

For a Legion of Grief army, I'd start with a maxed out block or two of Chainrasps and a Guardian of Souls & maybe also a Necromancer to buff them with.  Beyond that... Bladegheists still look good to me as an elite option.

I'm really no expert when it comes to the ghosty units though, especially after the last points revision.  Before that I would have said Grimghasts all the way for both allegiances, now I'm just not sure.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 2

For Nighthaunt, the essential hero is a Dreadblade Harrow. Just about everyone makes him their general. 

After that, it boils down to what you want to do. Reikenor is needed for endless spells. Guardians and Spirit Torments are kind of swiss army knives. Lady O, Kurdoss, and the two knights of shrouds each have their purpose. Typically, people don't take Wraiths, Tomb Banshees, or Lord Executioners.

For core units, you'll need some Chainrasps. Even if you just take a couple units of 10, they're good screens/objective holders. But they're our cheapest unit by far and are used to some degree in most lists. 

Other than that, the only unit that truly doesn't get taken are Glaivewraith Stalkers. They're expensive and anything you can do with them you can do better with another unit. Every other unit has their fans. 

As for the behemoths, both are overpriced. The Black Coach does a lot as it goes up in levels, but it really doesn't add up to much. The Mourngul has a nice aura, but it's hard to justify the points. 

A typical 2k force will include 4-6 heroes and then a combination of units. Running full hordes can be detrimental for NH as it limits the chances for rolling a Wave of Terror, plus the more units you have, the more than can be hidden in the underworld. 

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1