AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

On 11/16/2019 at 4:13 AM, Sception said:

While I won't defend their command trait or artifact, the legion trait and command ability really are quite good, and they're good in ways that meaningfully change how the army builds and plays, which is what subfaction rules should do.

This is true and the legion is what I would call the right kind of balance, as well as the crematorium and possibly null myriad, who all puts either fun twists or enforces a playstyle, or at least intends to. 

What really kill the Stalliarch lords for me and especially with the battalion is that you really want to have helm of the ordained, getting that 12" +1 hit bubble is sooo good, but the Stalliarch lords forces the first artifact on a liege and not just any hero, so unless you bring 2 lieges this wont happen. Once we talk about paying 400 pts for 2 lieges, then we enter the "why not just bring Katakros in a list" territory. 

It baffles me they put all the unique heroes in the Praetorians, if only the Arch Kavalos was from the Stalliarch Lords...

Hi folks. I just wrapped up my first half dozen test color schemes for my Bonereapers. They are simple, quick jobs just to test composition and colors.

I have a feeling on which one I'll use for the army, but I'd be interested in opinions from you guys. If you have a moment and a thought, please let me know.

Note: The actual models for the army will be much, much better painted, so try just to focus on colors and composition, not quality. 😁

Thanks!

20191117_161650.jpg

20191117_161511.jpg

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

12 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Hi folks. I just wrapped up my first half dozen test color schemes for my Bonereapers. They are simple, quick jobs just to test composition and colors.

I have a feeling on which one I'll use for the army, but I'd be interested in opinions from you guys. If you have a moment and a thought, please let me know.

Note: The actual models for the army well be much, much better painted, so try just to discuss focus on colors and composition, not quality. 😁

Thanks!

20191117_161650.jpg

20191117_161511.jpg

Second picture, second from the left. I really love that gold/green look! Though it slightly reminds me of the Green Ranger, so we definitely need a giant bone dragon construct 😂

15 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Note: The actual models for the army well be much, much better painted, so try just to discuss focus on colors and composition, not quality. 😁

Thanks!

20191117_161650.jpg

20191117_161511.jpg

You really dont make it easy for us haha they all look great. Some of my favorites are: first pic guy on the left and second pic two guys in the center. I really like those three the most. Very unique and already great quality paint job imo. Good job. 

So I've begun trying out the in-book colour scheme for Crematorium (though changing the initial yriel yellow for iyandan yellow contrast) and whilst it's a bit of a messy scheme it's quite quick and fun enough to paint. I'm pretty happy with how this big boy turned out and I'll have to see how the smaller stuff ends up but it's a good start :)

IMG_20191117_224012.jpg

IMG_20191117_224016.jpg

IMG_20191117_224031.jpg

IMG_20191117_224037.jpg

• Like 1

Since we're posting schemes.. here's my first test. Don't think I care for the black/gray.. kind of want to go terra-cotta themed so maybe I need a clay/red-earth color but would prefer to have an ink/wash to not kill my zenithal, which I think this black Templar contrast did do. Ah well, I love the Jade so that will definitely be sticking.. but yeah that power ranger comment above has me thinking the same..maybe I need to use something other than copper/gold 😂 

I just got an airbrush too, so I'm trying to learn that.. could be worth spraying the bone with it for a nice glaze once I find a better color.

IMG_20191117_172428.jpg.448c7d110fac44c638b9e2fd71efe679.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Thanks!

20191117_161511.jpg

2nd from the bottom left, the gold+green is by far my favorite. Tho the bone kinda falls away with the gold. I wonder if it would look even better with black bones or maybe more white?

Edited by Gorsameth

6 hours ago, Sception said:

In smaller units, yeah, if you take one or nore greatblades the first should go on the champion.

In larger units you might want to keep the champion in the middle of the unit inatead of the front, for the various wholly within 6" of a mortek hekatos abilities, in which case the greatblades should be on regular troopers who you can keep in front.

The leader can be in the second rank and still swing, so unless the unit is running at ~5 wide, 8 deep it shouldn't be an issue.

8 hours ago, Lightbox said:

So I've begun trying out the in-book colour scheme for Crematorium (though changing the initial yriel yellow for iyandan yellow contrast) and whilst it's a bit of a messy scheme it's quite quick and fun enough to paint. I'm pretty happy with how this big boy turned out and I'll have to see how the smaller stuff ends up but it's a good start :)

IMG_20191117_224012.jpg

IMG_20191117_224016.jpg

IMG_20191117_224031.jpg

IMG_20191117_224037.jpg

It's a very promising start, but the big guy really needs some more conrast between the bones, the glow and the armour. Right now all the elements bleed into eachother and look like one convoluted mass which is a shame for such a nicely detailed model.
Try to get the bones to be a bit more black and the armour a bit brighter bronze like in the examples in the battletome I'd say. Having the collected bones in his backpack painted in regular bone colours helps break up things too.

Edited by Panzer

4 hours ago, Panzer said:

It's a very promising start, but the big guy really needs some more conrast between the bones, the glow and the armour. Right now all the elements bleed into eachother and look like one convoluted mass which is a shame for such a nicely detailed model.
Try to get the bones to be a bit more black and the armour a bit brighter bronze like in the examples in the battletome I'd say. Having the collected bones in his backpack painted in regular bone colours helps break up things too.

He's still a bit of a WIP but I get what you mean. Another drybrush coat of black over him and some more work on the bronze would definitely help for sure. I've tried doing the yellow in the recesses to help get the inner glow a bit but it's proving somewhat difficult so I might try and get some more in to make it pop a bit more. But I'll start with thickening the black first and see how that goes. Cheers for the advice.

(I'll also try and get better lighting for my next photos so the colours look less blended as it looks better in person (always the way huh?))

Edited by Lightbox

Just want to make sure I'm using these Gothizzar Harvesters correctly.  You roll after each wound is applied and bring them back immediately, instead of at the end correct?  So, If I have 20 Mortek Guard all within 3" of the Harvester and Skarbrand rushes in and does 24 mortal wounds to them of which the Mortek Guard fail 20 of the 6+ saves 20 will die.  However, the Harvester will roll after each wound is applied and bring one back immediately, rather than waiting to roll 20 dice after all 20 wounds are applied and the unit is wiped out.  Basically, the difference here is if he waits until the end, no unit survives to return guys to, while if it's after each wound is applied, then you can bring them back.  It's a big difference and critical for Crematorians.

10 minutes ago, Emissary said:

Basically, the difference here is if he waits until the end, no unit survives to return guys to, while if it's after each wound is applied, then you can bring them back.  It's a big difference and critical for Crematorians.

that is typically what'd be FAQed because in one case guard are (almost) immortal (meaning OP) whereas in the other case they are resilient but ok (playable, I mean).

FAQ may change things, but as written my understanding is that, yes, he interrupts after each model within 3" is slain. This is because, while it is convention to roll dice and remove models in batches where the order doesn't matter in order to save time, in actuality the rules have each individual wound allocated and fully resolved one at a time.

So if Skarbrand attacks the unit and does 24 mortal wounds, each wound is resolved one at a time - allocating a wound to a model, rolling any mortal negation abilities one at a time, applying the wound if negation fails, and removing a model if you reach their wounds characteristic, at which point bone harvest triggers and potentially returns a model before moving on to allocating the next wound.

It's important to note that the area within which bone harvest functions is only 3".  If you're suffering such a massive allocation of wounds at one time, it's entirely possible that you will run out of models within 3" of the harvester before you run out of wounds to allocate, and if that happens you will be unable to use bone harvest on any of the remaining wounds, as the models slain by those wounds won't be within range of the ability.

Edited by Sception

3 hours ago, Sception said:

FAQ may change things, but as written my understanding is that, yes, he interrupts after each model within 3" is slain. This is because, while it is convention to roll dice and remove models in batches where the order doesn't matter in order to save time, in actuality the rules have each individual wound allocated and fully resolved one at a time.

So if Skarbrand attacks the unit and does 24 mortal wounds, each wound is resolved one at a time - allocating a wound to a model, rolling any mortal negation abilities one at a time, applying the wound if negation fails, and removing a model if you reach their wounds characteristic, at which point bone harvest triggers and potentially returns a model before moving on to allocating the next wound.

It's important to note that the area within which bone harvest functions is only 3".  If you're suffering such a massive allocation of wounds at one time, it's entirely possible that you will run out of models within 3" of the harvester before you run out of wounds to allocate, and if that happens you will be unable to use bone harvest on any of the remaining wounds, as the models slain by those wounds won't be within range of the ability.

So really the Harvester isn't so much interrupting as actually following the rules for wound allocation?

4 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

The FAQ just dropped. The Kavalos wedge ability can only be used once per unit and the Harvester was changed to "within 3" of any". 

Wait so... am I just coffee deprived but i don't really see how that changes the harvester any

1 minute ago, Arcian said:

Wait so... am I just coffee deprived but i don't really see how that changes the harvester any

When AoS rules say "any" that means the ability triggers if a model is in range of 1 or more Harvesters. Additional Harvesters in range dont add anything. You only trigger that ability once, they dont stack. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

When AoS rules say "any" that means the ability triggers if a model is in range of 1 or more Harvesters. Additional Harvesters in range dont add anything. You only trigger that ability once, they dont stack. 

Ah ok, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Edit: Well, unfortunately we can't double up on the bubbles but I can see where that could potentially be pretty broken

Edited by Arcian