AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

12 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Can one unit be picked more than once with that ability? So heal 6 wounds instead of 3, for example? Or is it rule of one? 

No it's x number of different units, but you can heal like 3 from katakros, 3 from arkhan and 3 per Boneshaper all on the same unit, but each model can only heal a unit once

39 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

At the time of writing, Element Games has thirty boxes of Feast of Bones back in stock.

Go get 'em tigers.

https://elementgames.co.uk/new-releases/age-of-sigmar-feast-of-bones-english-

Between the archai and unique character getting slated, and the secondary market getting flooded with ogor stuff, I'm actually quite glad I missed the boat on this one. 😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jabbadewonga said:

Between the archai and unique character getting slated, and the secondary market getting flooded with ogor stuff, I'm actually quite glad I missed the boat on this one. 😅

I'm glad to have diven in the boxes boat: got 3 boxes, re-sell 2 tyrant 2 set of morghasts and 2 Vokmortian . As a result, I have most wanted units of both armies and more than 1400 for eacha army for just 100€/army. Best and cheapest way to start a new army. As a bonus, from my death army, I already have arkhan and more morghast, giving me a full army. For ogors: just buy a SC! BCR and you have a full army.

• Like 1

This might be insanity, but... 

I think Katakros benefits from Look Out, Sir! His warscroll doesn't say monster, despite its insane size and the fact that Katakros is like 12 feet tall. The dude is a 2+ save character that you pretty much have to fight in melee to bring down... Am I reading that right? 

23 minutes ago, Koujow said:

This might be insanity, but... 

I think Katakros benefits from Look Out, Sir! His warscroll doesn't say monster, despite its insane size and the fact that Katakros is like 12 feet tall. The dude is a 2+ save character that you pretty much have to fight in melee to bring down... Am I reading that right? 

Wouldnt be unhead of.   The cauldron if blood is the same way for such a large model.

My initial wave of Bonereapers has arrived. Now, unless I want to stick with my normal plain basing scheme, I need to look for a company that does resin bases in the full range of sizes that come in this model range.

Anyone got suggestions?

20191112_142127.jpg

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

My initial wave of Bonereapers has arrived. Now, unless I want to stick with my normal plain basing scheme, I need to look for a company that does resin bases in the full range of sizes that come in this model range.

Anyone got suggestions?

20191112_142127.jpg

It really depends on what kind of base you are looking for. Microartstudios has lots of great looking bases but you definitely should also look into Greenstuffworlds texture rolling pins.

11 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Why 4 scenery boxes?

One is for the army.

The others (and likely another 6 or 7 to come over time) are for a gaming table I'm building specifically for the army. I want a wall of the statues at one end, to evoke the feel of some of the great ancient temples (like Abu Simbel, shown below) and other places of wonder.

Egypt.jpg

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

@Sleboda so we take it you like the Reapers then?! ;)

Yeah. While they are not Tomb Kings (most especially not in terms of background), they touch on enough of the things I liked about Tomb Kings to really get me going. The strict discipline, having to plan, surprise moves, methodical and unrelenting assault, immune to psychology, undead, fun to paint, inevitability ... just lots of positive trigger points.

I can see myself picking up a box of Guard anytime I happen to be out with some pocket money and the urge to spend it. I won't be surprised if I have 300 Guard within two years, with maybe 100 each in three different paint schemes, representing three different legions. 

I have painted basically the same undead army in different colors maybe six times over the years. I never strip paint or repaint, so I end up with huge undead armies. This will likely be the same.

Edited by Sleboda

33 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Yeah. While they are not Tomb Kings (most especially not in terms of background), they touch on enough of the things I liked about Tomb Kings to really get me going. The strict discipline, having to plan, surprise moves, methodical and unrelenting assault, immune to psychology, undead, fun to paint, inevitability ... just lots of positive trigger points.

I can see myself picking up a box of Guard anytime I happen to be out with some pocket money and the urge to spend it. I won't be surprised if I have 300 Guard within two years, with maybe 100 each in three different paint schemes, representing three different legions. 

I have painted basically the same undead army in different colors maybe six times over the years. I never strip paint or repaint, so I end up with huge undead armies. This will likely be the same.

This is just some amazing dedication: I admire people like you 🙂

Too bad I can't play with you (except if you are not too far from France...)

Edited by GeneralZero

9 hours ago, Aryann said:

@Sception

Where would you go next with 2 boxes of Feast of Bones? So far I've been thinking around Mawtribes but would lik to hear some suggestions on OBR as well.

The first question is how you assemble feast of bones.  You've got got 20 small infantry, (see the spears vs. swords thread for thoughts on assembling those from posters who know what they're talking about more than I do), 6 medium infantry (stalkers or immortis), 4 morghasts (harbingers or archai, and 2 vokmortians.

First up is vok - you clearly don't need two of an extremely recognizeable special character.  While his rules are a bit lackluster (fingers crossed for faq adding the mortisan keyword at least), his model looks amazing, and there are a lot of bonereaper players out there who didn't managed to snag a copy of feast of bones before it sold out, see if you can find somebody who will trade you any of the generic mortisans for your spare vokmortian.

In terms of spears or swords on the mortek guard, swords are widely accepted to be better, long term you might mix a few spear units into your collection for visual flair, but safe to go with swords for your first 20.  In terms of the greatblades... they are only barely fractionally better than the swords, a difference that disappears if you cast the weapon buff spell on the unit.  Up to you whether that's worth the hassle of rolling their dice separately.  I'd decide based on aesthetic preference.  If you do add spear units to your collection later though, those should always take the maximum number of greatblades.

The big question is how you'll assemble the medium infantry and morghasts.  Personally, I recommend choosing one of the three battalions that combine medium infantry and morghasts and assembling the models according to that choice.  The options are:

1) Vokmortian's Reginue.  This is the battalion from the Feast of Bones box, combines vokmortian, one unit mortek guard, one unit stalkers, one unit morghast Archai.  The battalion brings back one model a turn to one of it's units within 8" of Vokmortian.  One of the bigger selling points is that you only need one unit of stalkers, so you can field them as 1x6, which is more efficient for buffing & better in combat than the 2x3 set ups from the other two battalions.  Stalkers are also more efficient in their single role than immortis are in their dual role, so that's nice, though archai are arguably the lesser morghast variant.  This battalion at least gives you a reason to run Vokmortian beyond looking cool, so that's something.  This is the only way to bring back entire slain stalker or morghast models, but to use it the units - which are otherwise relatively speedy - have to stay in range of vokmortion, who isn't really.

2) Aegis Immortal.  2x3 Immortis Guard, 1 unit of archai.  Arguably the lesser vesrion of both your medium infantry and your morghasts, but the battalion does do a lot for them, arguably more so than the other battalions do for their units.  If you like Immortis and Archai aesthetically, this is the best way to run them.

3) Katakrosian Deathglaive, 2x3 Stalkers and 1 unit of harbingers, arguably the better builds for both units, gives them a pre-game move which is nice in an otherwise slowish army.

Regardless of which you pick, I'd only assemble two of the morghasts for now.  They're not the most efficient unit, so minimum is probably better, and you can decide later whether you want to expand the unit you have or build the other build to have a pair of each.  Otherwise, all three of these formations are decent but not great, the kind of thing you run more as an excuse to field models you like rather than for strictly competitive reasons, as such I'd base the decision on aesthetic preference rather than worrying about competitive viability.  If you're trying to be on the bleeding edge of tournament viability, you're probably not fielding medium infantry or morghasts at all anyway.  They aren't bad, but they're not *as good* as some other units in the army that are better.

Speaking of, if you're worried about fielding the 'best' stuff, that's probably either Katakros or a Liege, a boneshaper, either a soulmason or a second boneshaper, 1-2 catapults, the shrieker endless spell, and as many mortek guard as you can fit in the points you have left over.  Maybe with one of the formations that includes some of the mentioned units if you have the points for it, which probably comes down to whether you took katakros or settled for a liege.  All in petrifex for the extra save and the extra rend CA which are just so far above anything any other subfaction has that it's not even funny.

That's the stuff that looks most efficient, and therefore most competitive, right now, BUT that's just the thing, isn't it?  It's only how things look right now.  GW have shown with their regular erratas and points updates that they're not afraid to shake things up, and any or all of the mentioned options and units might see a rules nerf or points hike or both, and then suddenly they aren't the most efficient options anymore.  That's the problem with chasing competitive variety over aesthetic preference, what units are competitive is a lot more volatile than what models you like.

Probably the best thing about OBR is how good the internal balance between the units is right now.  Almost every unit has a unique role that it's at least reasonably competent at and that nothing else in the army can do in quite the same way.  About the only exceptions are vokmortian and the soulreaper, and even they aren't bad, they just aren't doing anything as unique as the alternative caster options.  There's very little redundancy.  As a result, you can collect the units you happen to like, and the result will probably be something reasonably playable.

So what I've been doing, and what I recommend that you do, is pick units you like, and aim to collect the battalions that use those units, to give your army project some organizational structure and tangible goals to shoot for as much as to actually use the battalions in game.  Start with one of the two main battleline battalions - either the shield-corps (a couple more boxes of morteks, vokmortian can lead this but I'd look to pick up a boneshaper and/or soulmason) or the lance (two boxes kavalos, one liege).  Either way that'll get you up to a respectable battleline for a 2k point game.

After that, the next purchases should probably be the nexus (it's free, you should take it, but it will be a bit of a project to paint) and the endless spells (shrieker is real good, the other two are playable, and there's really nothing else to fill 100 point or smaller gaps in lists).

From there, again, pick a unit you like, start working towards a battalion that includes it.  You said you like the crawlers, they're fantastic in game, working towards the ballistari is not a bad call, all those units are fantastic.  And by the time you've finished that you'll have a huge collection with a variety of viable 2k lists, so you might want to pick up one of the big special characters - Katakros, Nagash, or Arkhan - as a sort of captstone to lead your army in big games.  Of the three, Katakros is probably the strongest, Arkhan is the easiest to fit into more regular lists, and Nagash is the most dramatic to field, turning any encounter into a sort of narrative theme game.

In your case, I'd personally build your feast of bones models for the aegis immortal based on purely personal aesthetic preference, I just really love how the immortis and archai look.  Then I'd grab two boxes of kavalos plus the liege for a lance - shield corps are probably better, but you've already got some morteks, variety is the spice of life after all, and maybe I'm just a bit tired of skeletal infantry spam after years of playing Legions of Nagash.  After that, the terrain & the endless spells.  You'll be able to put together a playable & fun 2k list at that point.  Once that's all done, a boneshaper and a couple catapults and expand the moirtek unit to 40 for a solid ballistari, swapping out with the aegis immortal for a different and probably more competitive alternate 2k list.  Wrap it all up with Arkhan, because I've always loved Arkhan, and you can put everything together for special occasion 3000 point big game, though to fit points you'd have to drop the one of the battalions to fit points (not the units, just the battalion upgrade, probably the ballistari since it isn't as critical to how the units play as the lance or aegis are), and will have to split the morteks into two squads of 20 to meet battleline requirements.

But that's just one example of what you might do, based on my personal aesthetic preferences.  Again, almost no units in the army are actually bad.  Pick and assemble what you like, and as long as you have enough battleline for a valid force you should be able to put together something fun and perfectly playable out of it, even if it isn't necessarily top table competitive, but again imo chasing that is kind of a losing game, as points updates, errata, and meta shifts can easily pull the rug out from under a tournament list with very little warning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

This is just some amazing dedication: I admire people like you 🙂

Too bad I can't play with you (except if you are not too far from France...)

France is on the list. Been to Belgium and plan to go again, so a side trip is an option. Maybe a game is in our future!

I have question about Katakros ability: supreme lord of the bonereaper Legions.. 

The second part of ability give +1 save to all mortis pretorian unit but with the prime necrophoros this ability work with 36" range and on all ossiarc or change only range for +1 to hit?