AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

1 hour ago, Arcian said:

Hey guys, dumb question, but does the spell "enhance battle shields" also buff your mortek guard that have the soulcleaver greatblade? The warscrolls says you replace only the weapon option so... Are they still considered to have their shields?

Does he have a shield?

No.

I am sorry but it’s a silly question you already knew the answer.

1 minute ago, Glaurung said:

Does he have a shield?

No.

I am sorry but it’s a silly question you already knew the answer.

Hm you're right. Doesn't seem worth taking if you lose out on the nadirite ability and the spells too for just a +1 to wound if you are taking swords. 

Glaurung is being abit harsch! Its not a silly question. Command units count as having the same as everyone else, so it is fair to ask if special weapon options also count towsrds that. 

IF you take a look at The warscroll it says that the unit can have either of two weapon options: nadirite blade and shield or nadirite spear and shield. 1 in 10 can switch this weapon option to a greatsword. So they are actually switching blade and shield for the 2-hander, not just the weapon, but the weapon option mentioned above.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Glaurung is being abit harsch! Its not a silly question. Command units count as having the same as everyone else, so it is fair to ask if special weapon options also count towsrds that. 

IF you take a look at The warscroll it says that the unit can have either of two weapon options: nadirite blade and shield or nadirite spear and shield. 1 in 10 can switch this weapon option to a greatsword. So they are actually switching blade and shield for the 2-hander, not just the weapon, but the weapon option mentioned above.

Gotcha, makes sense! Doesn't seem all that worth if you lose out on the nadirite ability and also the spells enhance nadirite/shields 

Quick question, for the immortis guards soul bound protectors rule and its sequencing. 

Do you make saves on the original target the hero and only after he fails all his saves, does it get passed to the immortis guard, or does the wound go to the guard on 2+ before you are eligible to make saves on the original target?

Edited by Dracan

2 minutes ago, Dracan said:

Quick question, for the immortis guards soul bound protectors rule and its sequencing. 

Do you make saves on the original target the hero and only after he fails all his saves, does it get passed to the immortis guard, or does the wound go to the guard on 2+ before you are eligible to make saves on the original target?

First the taget makes a save. IF save fails then you allocate wounds. And that is when soul bound protector kicks in. 

Thats a lot of dice, to push through wounds on characters. Really starting to like idea of Arkhan and archia retinue within aegis immortal batalion.

If arkhan suffers a wound, in petrafix he will have 3+ save a 6+++ death save then on 2+ archia gets the wound and saves on 3+ then 6+++. If it was a mortal wound its 6+++ then 2+ gets passed then 5+++ followed by 6+++.

And even better if the dice to pass the save is 5+ it just goes away

If my math is correct, if arkhan next to an archai within this batalion suffers a 100 no rend wounds he will only suffer 1 in 21.6 wounds. he will pass on 23.2 of which 9.25 will be ignored meaning archai would need to make 13.88 saves on 3+, of which they make 9.26 which leaves them with 4.63 deathless 6+++ saves of which they make 0.77. Meaning when all the dust settles, arkhan has taken 4.6 unsaved wounds and archai 3.85.

Better bring the rend otherwise neither of them are dying...

Edited by Dracan

58 minutes ago, Dracan said:

Thats a lot of dice, to push through wounds on characters. Really starting to like idea of Arkhan and archia retinue within aegis immortal batalion.

If arkhan suffers a wound, in petrafix he will have 3+ save a 6+++ death save then on 2+ archia gets the wound and saves on 3+ then 6+++. If it was a mortal wound its 6+++ then 2+ gets passed then 5+++ followed by 6+++.

And even better if the dice to pass the save is 5+ it just goes away

That's not exactly how it works. Both arkhan and the guard don't get to do their own saves and after saves. That would be too much. From what people are saying (and people correct me if I am wrong) it goes like this. 

-save roll of Arkhan

- wound allocated to Immortis Guard or  Archai (with batallion) on a 2+.  5+ wound is just negated

- any after saves are applied e.g.

- 5+ mortal wound save from Archai

- 5+ save for mortal wounds if the Immortis Guard have the shield spell thing on them

- Both get 6++ death save. 

As you can see the Imortis Guard / Archai don't get to do their own normal save, because that stage is already over and Arkhan doesn't do any after save because the wound moves to someone else before he can do that. If the 2+ guard ability fails, then sure he can do his own after saves. But you can't double up. 

Edited by Heijoshin

Quick question for you guys because I can't figure it myself. What is considered a nadirite blade or shield? I mean I get it when it's written in the name of the weapon (on warscrolls) but let's say for..Inda-khat or whatever other named weapons in the battletome,  it became less obvious if those are, in fact, nadirite loadouts. Must we consider all weapons and shields of the OBR as nadirites' or just those with the keyword written in the name ? Because i don't want to abuse buffs if it's not allowed...

P.S. sorry if it doesn't make sense. I'm not really fluent in english.

Edited by Harioch

9 minutes ago, Harioch said:

Quick question for you guys because I can't figure it myself. What is considered a nadirite blade or shield? I mean I get it when it's written in the name of the weapon (on warscrolls) but let's say for..Inda-khat or whatever other named weapons in the battletome,  it became less obvious if those are, in fact, nadirite loadouts. Must we consider all weapons and shields of the OBR as nadirites' or just those with the keyword written in the name ? Because i don't want to abuse buffs if it's not allowed...

P.S. sorry if it doesn't make sense. I'm not really fluent in english.

Only things with Nadirite in the name get to benefit

• Thanks 1

Nadirite weapons are weapons with the word nadirite in their names, and the Nadarite Weapons special rule.

'Nadirite battle shields' and 'shields' are specific pieces of equipment with exactly those names.  Eg liege kavalos & immortis guard are equipped with 'nadirite battle shields', and mortek guard are equipped with 'shields'.

• Thanks 1

The spell mortal contract states that it is for the rest of the Battle. How many mortal contracts can you have active at The same time? Can you just cast a new one on a new enemy every casting phase? Which basicall means at The end of a Battle you could have 5 of them active? 

That seems pretty trollish and fun, since it an automatic punish everytime the unit decides to fight.. 

So, painted like a madman all day Saturday, and managed to take the Bonereapers to a small local tournament yesterday! List was what I could get done in time rather than anything optimised (and I didn't have the Bonetithe Nexus either) and it was (in Petrifex Elite legion, of course):

Nagash, Boneshaper, Soulreaper, 3x10 Mortek Guard (swords), 1x2 Archai (swords), 1x3 Stalkers (all swords), Umbral Spell Portal.

Won two, lost one. Both wins I had some good dice (the key priority in one game, and made so many saves in the key combat in the other), but in neither game did I give up a single kill point. The loss was a bad misplay by me (lost Nagash before I got my first turn), but that's the downside to using an army you don't really know!

The Morghasts were pretty bad (no idea why you'd want to take them over the deathriders?), the spell portal had more of an effect on mind games than on the table, and the little heroes didn't actually contribute anything in any game except discipline points (which to be fair, are key to the army),  but everything else seemed great. The top thee performers were:

• Nagash was ridiculous. He has so many saves and healing - a lot of armies shouldn't even try and take him down. His combat output wasn't stellar, but unbinding everything with ease helped a lot and the change to being able to spam arcane bolt took people off guard - 8 casts of it average to 12 MW. The armywide rr 1's of hit and save really stacked up, especially coupled with his board-wide healing. He does leave you with no board presence, and was a liability against the teleporting gunline, but he can't be ignored. The Protection of Nagash spell seems key to keeping him alive and getting some movement shenaigans too.
  • The Stalkers took all my opponents by surprise just how killy they were. 15 attacks on 3+ rr 1's,  3+, -3, 2 (spending the discipline point) is obscene on a unit that is far from fragile for its points cost. Surprisingly slow for how the model looks (only 6"!), but they were very good.
  • Mortek Guard - wow. These little stars are great. So tanky and good at fighting too. 10 of them with the enhance nadirite spell and a discipline point to increase rend took nearly a dozen wounds off a cabbage (it was good rolling, but still). 4" movement, and no way to force their run into a 6 can leave them struggling to get around, but they still seem ace for their cost.

The army (and especially this list) does have issues with turn 1 reach, board control and numbers for objectives but they seem legit overall. To the extent I felt a bit guilty using them at time - having whole armies bounce off battleline units, who then hit back hard, ignore battleshock and then heal up anyway was not fun for opponents. The culprit seems to be the Petrifex rules - other than gimmick lists, I can't see myself giving up the save and rend, it's so good. Discipline Points are key to make it all shine, so seems to be another army which is great at fighting where the solution for the opponent is "kill the characters".

• Like 1

Yea Petrifex getting both the +1 save AND the -1 rend command makes it super crazy. If the Ivory host had the rend increase, or if the Praetorians and Petrifex traded command abilities (keepting petrifex very defensive minded), things might be somewhat different.

Might finally pick up a Nagash model though, he seems sort of balanced for his points at least, and alos works a little different in the bonereapers than in a standard LoN list.

2 hours ago, boots468 said:

Nagash, Boneshaper, Soulreaper, 3x10 Mortek Guard (swords), 1x2 Archai (swords), 1x3 Stalkers (all swords), Umbral Spell Portal.

So this has got me thinking. Maybe there is a list worth taking Nagash in. Bumping up the unit of Stalkers and taking the Shield Corps battalion to get effectively 2 extra RD a turn (from not needing to spend for shield wall)

Petrified Elite:

Nagash

Bone-shaper

3x10 Mortek w/ swords

6xStalkers

Shield Corps battalion

Umbral Spell Portal

1990 pts with 4RD + D3 + 6s

My real concern is how to deal with hordes though. I suppose this is where the crawler would come into its own but I can’t see how you could fit it into a list with nagash as well.

10 minutes ago, Maxi99 said:

My real concern is how to deal with hordes though. I suppose this is where the crawler would come into its own but I can’t see how you could fit it into a list with nagash as well.

Might have to drop the stalkers down to just a unit of 3?

16 minutes ago, Arcian said:

Might have to drop the stalkers down to just a unit of 3?

That’d work, I’m just worried that the stalkers would lose their effectiveness as a unit of 3. 

Maybe the unit of 6 could clear a decent sized horde.... 30 attack’s, hitting on 3s rr 1s, wounding 3s rend -2 dmg 2 is going to average 31 wounds against 5/6+ save or 26 against 4+...

Seems as good as anything to be fair!

Also against the 4+ could use the additional rend to get up to the 31

Edited by Maxi99

29 minutes ago, Maxi99 said:

That’d work, I’m just worried that the stalkers would lose their effectiveness as a unit of 3. 

Maybe the unit of 6 could clear a decent sized horde.... 30 attack’s, hitting on 3s rr 1s, wounding 3s rend -2 dmg 2 is going to average 31 wounds against 5/6+ save or 26 against 4+...

Seems as good as anything to be fair!

Also against the 4+ could use the additional rend to get up to the 31

That's true! 30 attacks is going to smash through a lot of them most likely!

I have 3 sets of Feast of bones. I like the immortis look and use. I'll build 3. I like the stalkers as blender machine: I'll get 6 / 4 swords each. Got 30 guards with swords.

I plan to buy fisrt the ES+scenic+kavalos (love him)+riders(love 'em).

I'll play arkham first to let the $£€ low for now (went full unplanned ogor army first).

My question: which wizzard/character/ES to add to this list? I feel that the one I have doesn't have a great discipline but he's a wizard with 2 spells. So, which is better that Vokmortian  in this list? Is it better to have a low wiz+ES or a nice Wiz? Dunno.

So, my list will look like:

Leaders
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Liege-Kavalos (200)

Battleline
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Units
3 x Immortis Guard (200)
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (400)

Total: 1730 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 99

14 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I have 3 sets of Feast of bones. I like the immortis look and use. I'll build 3. I like the stalkers as blender machine: I'll get 6 / 4 swords each. Got 30 guards with swords.

I plan to buy fisrt the ES+scenic+kavalos (love him)+riders(love 'em).

I'll play arkham first to let the $£€ low for now (went full unplanned ogor army first).

My question: which wizzard/character/ES to add to this list? I feel that the one I have doesn't have a great discipline but he's a wizard with 2 spells. So, which is better that Vokmortian  in this list? Is it better to have a low wiz+ES or a nice Wiz? Dunno.

So, my list will look like:

Leaders
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Liege-Kavalos (200)

Battleline
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Units
3 x Immortis Guard (200)
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (400)

Total: 1730 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 99

Well, you can either go with 10 more mortek guard and a soul mason or you can go with another unit of 20 mortek guard.

I feel that I don't need more guards. There are differents approachs: 2 wizzards, one more liege kavalos. Each are great supports and give at least 2 more DP which are big army boosts. Another kavalos gives also a little more space to add an ES. For the 2 wizzards addition, I don't know.