AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

Although these new figures do look interesting and reasonably good, I prefer the old school undead look. Shambling hordes....

I do wonder if this range heralds the end (in a year or two) of the traditional, 'vanilla' (and therefore non IP protectable ranges) of more traditional units like black knights, grave guard, skeleton horde and zombies/zombie dogs?

I think I'll be picking up the rest of what I need for a large death rattle army by Christmas!  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Death Guard Dave said:

Although these new figures do look interesting and reasonably good, I prefer the old school undead look. Shambling hordes....

I do wonder if this range heralds the end (in a year or two) of the traditional, 'vanilla' (and therefore non IP protectable ranges) of more traditional units like black knights, grave guard, skeleton horde and zombies/zombie dogs?

I think I'll be picking up the rest of what I need for a large death rattle army by Christmas!  

It's my guess. The infantry and cavalry look too much like Grave guards and Black knights. I don't see it in the short term though.

I doubt it.  The new goblins & trolls were still pretty much just goblins & trolls.  The darkoath are generic fantasy barbarians.  I think the pish to purge generic  stuff in aos is overstated.

Amd these guys really aren't a replacement for deathratle at all.  The 'implacable horde of mindless skeletons' is a warhammer staple, including in aos, and i don't see them going away any time soon.  The Ossiarchs are a new thing, not a replacement for current stuff.  At least, that's my reading.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

I was thinking on the painting scheme and a terracotta/clay theme would be great with a brown-red tone.

I'll have to think what paints I'll need to use for that 🤔

Nice idea! 

I'm thinking of going for a theme similar to the Draugr from Thor: Ragnarok. 

Would be my first non-default colour scheme army and not sure what paints would make it work. 

latest?cb=20180317213057

6120739-2534116103-Ragna.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2019 at 12:26 PM, Dr Ben said:

I may be being a little bit too politically correct, but what about that priest(ess) says they are a 'he'? I mean they're undead skeleton construct things so they aren't exactly going to have ******..... Katakros is the exception but the rest of the range so far is kind of non-gendered and a-sexual by definition so far.

Also does Katakros make anyone else think of Word up by Cameo?

See the source image

Dunno why this is important to you, but it is stated by GW that it is a priesthood, not a priestesshood. dunno why it matters at all though, they have souls, and whatever gender the soul was, then that's what they are

• Like 1

intrestingly  bone reappers kinda suit death unified army need as coupled with other dead armies like ghouls as shock troops and vampires as mages it shows the twisted intelect of nagash as each piece of updated army whole legions of nagash looks better and better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urbanus said:

Any word on playstyle yet? We know that they are an "elite" army so fewer models. But anything other than that? 

Nothing and we likely won't see much until the end of September; which is already going to be pretty chock full of Sisters of Battle news. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Overread said:

Nothing and we likely won't see much until the end of September; which is already going to be pretty chock full of Sisters of Battle news. 

End of September, man that's a loooong wait. Thank for the info, though

1 minute ago, Urbanus said:

End of September, man that's a loooong wait. Thank for the info, though

It's not confirmed just when I'd expect it since their release is in October so depending when (it could be the last week for all we know) so end of September would be the earliest I'd expect to start hearing news. I'd figure GW wants a good week or two's worth of content so that they've stuff to preview and show off and talk about in the run up to their launch. 

So do u think Arkhan will enter on this army? 

And about colour schemes I'm thinking of this two:

https://images.app.goo.gl/qQ9r6cjm9GJkKEzq8

https://images.app.goo.gl/u6CDYHhtaF4uPx6HA

The second would be more a terracotta but the first of sand I think it's absolutely awesome. But the other I'm thinking and can't find any image is a jade army, a colour similar to katakron... would be sooooo cool

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Ashmodath said:

Dunno why this is important to you, but it is stated by GW that it is a priesthood, not a priestesshood. dunno why it matters at all though, they have souls, and whatever gender the soul was, then that's what they are

Priesthood is a term of office which can apply to the holders of that office male, female, or otherwise. A common example of this contemporary use is in the Anglican/Episcopal church. A few others had made similar assumptions that a priest is a male, so I thought I would highlight some minor casual sexism whilst participating in the thread discussion.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

So thinking on heads for those who don't like them, Puppetswar might have some interesting options including these

https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-47/fantasy/bits/vampire-helmets.html

Which I think would look good on the regular troops

I'd also like an excuse to use these

https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-47/fantasy/bits/anubis-heads.html

However I don't think there's a unit really ready and suitable for them ( a double reason for me is that I was going to build a Necron army and use these heads on some, but this new Bone Reapers has crushed that idea in a sea of shattered wallets.)

I think main style of bone reapers kinda mimic varanguard as my last post said nagash has good plan on his  mind with night haunt acting as moral killer vampires as covert ops, ghouls as shock troops it looks like bone reapers feel like the anvil option for nagash aka strong main force army allowing siege warfare on nagashs terms. If you guys ask me necroquake was part of nagashs plan to get all the souls back to his domain thus when skaven sabotaged the spell nagash was stroking his bone beard as plan was going as he predicted with nighthaunt creating good distraction so nagash can prepare his true main force the bone reapers to strike and reclaim what he think of his.

4 hours ago, Dr Ben said:

Priesthood is a term of office which can apply to the holders of that office male, female, or otherwise. A common example of this contemporary use is in the Anglican/Episcopal church. A few others had made similar assumptions that a priest is a male, so I thought I would highlight some minor casual sexism whilst participating in the thread discussion.

Grow up please. There is no "casual sexism", it is simply you strangely obssessing over personal pronouns since you have nothing better to do with your time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Bol14 said:

Grow up please. There is no "casual sexism", it is simply you strangely obssessing over personal pronouns since you have nothing better to do with your time. 

+++ Mod Hat On +++

This is not how we behave on TGA. This is a warning, do not act like this towards another member as there is another way of saying this. For example:

@Dr Ben We’ve not seen the book yet so have no idea how this is actually represented. If it is just priesthood, then you can tailor the background in your army to how you want it to be. Also you could give GW feedback about the army and what you want to see. But let’s get the book first 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Death Guard Dave said:

Time will tell. However to the casual gamer this stuff really doesn’t matter. I play with friends and relatives with a annual weekend at Warhammer World and so using models as proxies is cool.

My 80 skeleton spearmen can be whatever is required. My Tombking skeleton horsemen have been black knights for ever.

My old screaming skull catapult is about to get a new lease of life. I have 30 skeleton archers just waiting for an excuse to get shooting again.

Having said that, I’ll still be buying when these hit the shelves. I’ll just blend the new stuff with what I have already. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Death Guard Dave said:

The only thing GW can IP protect are the names of the faction and its units (where they are not generic names). In addition to the lore as written and the models as sculpted. The actual "idea" is not protected in the least and is not even fully original. It's a terracotta warrior army done with bone instead of clay. As many have noted already they clearly take some inspiration from the designs of their own models but also from things like Skeleton Warriors. 

Basically there is nothing stopping any 3rd party company making a  catapult of bone with legs and arms moving it. The only thing they couldn't do is call them by the same name. Otherwise they can make alternative sculpts and parts for the models same as for any other GW line. 

Again people keep saying that GW is trying to "Remove generic to IP protect their lines" without really thinking about the statement. GW can't do that, they cannot protect the concept of models by IP law, its impossible. In fact the court case where they tried to do just that, they lost. Heck it would be ironic if GW won it considering how their product line is heavily inspired by other elements in fantasy and sci-fi anyway. 

The creative directions GW is going with AoS I think are purely them chasing high epic fantasy instead of the old world setting which was closer to a low-fantasy setting in many respects and quite heavily Tolkien influenced. AoS is simply a reflection of 30 years of change in the fantasy market; plus also using a lot of retro themes and elements brought forward into modern plastics which lets GW do things with design that they never could have in the past. 

Consider early serpentine dragons from GW were likely not just a design driven by fantasy and wurm serpent bodies but also the fact that they were larger; were going to be all metal and GW likely couldn't cast a thick chunky "western dragon" without it costing FAR too much. 

Today plastics and new plastic casting methods let them make things like the Star Drake - many times bigger than in the past and far more chunky and stocky of body. 

Edited by Overread
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I myself like gothic horror and 'low-fantasy' themes with my undead : P

Though Nighthaunt blew me away with sculpt concept and design

Same, but I think that AoS won't be as subtle as WHFB was, in that regard - sadly. I'm studying the Black Library releases regarding Shyish at the moment, to get a feeling for what it's like to have mortals and undead sharing the realms openly, as for example Nulahmia is so full of Vampires every citizen knows about that the whole "Is the count in the castle human?" thing does absolutely not work, which is why I'm toying around with a secret Witch Coven in the outskirts of Grymmsforge, as to have at least a bit of hiding in the shadows. 

But I'll also get me some Ossiarchs, because I think that, if one wants to play true to the lore, they'll be hanging around everywhere; just have to fit them into the background I'm working out at the moment (and if you make them look as if they've fought a thousand battles - since they don't heal if they lose a chunk of armor or their facial structure, I suppose - they'll fit with the rest of the range).