AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

13 minutes ago, Souleater said:

100% agree*. I would particularly love mounted archers. Would fit the vibe, I think. 

I think it is reasonable to assume that most of the kits we have seen are going to be double- build kits.

We haven't seen any 'fighty' heroes, either.

I am wondering if we'll see 'female' OsBos. The Mortarch has gone all in on masculinity (even down to the posing pouch) with his body. Plus GW seem to be keener to add females in.

*about archers. I love SCE.

Archers would be great.

I am also working on figuring out head swaps for the infantry.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Souleater said:

I am wondering if we'll see 'female' OsBos. The Mortarch has gone all in on masculinity (even down to the posing pouch) with his body. Plus GW seem to be keener to add females in.

I wonder if they can keep female bone constructs from having heels.

SoB don't seem to have them, maybe they thought about being able to fight for once?

*Remembers the range of motion the SoB cosplayer had* Nevermind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I for one am on the fence about the aesthetic. I like the infantry, maaaybe the cavalry but thats about it so far. 

Personally detest the Mortarch; I really dislike dioramma-style models.

I also prefer 'bulked-up' bone golem/constructs made from amalgem of human sized bone rather than Eldar-style 'crafted' style. 

Hoping the rules are solid!

One hope could be the cavalry could synergize with nighthaunt  cav; deathriders with allied ossiarch cavalry might be interesting

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 1

I slightly dissapointed by the lack of armor plates, I'd prefer seeing thigh guards (or greaves) and helmets on all Mortek guards and some more on Stalkers, that would be nice for more spots of color different from the bone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, XReN said:

I slightly dissapointed by the lack of armor plates, I'd prefer seeing thigh guards (or greaves) and helmets on all Mortek guards and some more on Stalkers, that would be nice for more spots of color different from the bone.

I wish the general on the mortarch's right side (left in the pic) was the mortarch's look and most units armour looked like his.

On another note, maybe there are alternate ways to build the mortarch and some armour options for him.

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I wish the general on the mortarch's right side (left in the pic) was the mortarch's look and most units armour looked like his.

I like the Mortarch himself but I wish that the regular infantry would look more like the model you're referring to. ^^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

As for colors you can try doing brown, red, and thin green washes on different seperate parts of the bones; to perhaps indicate they are from different people O.o

They are all kind of exoskeletons rather than bones, but all made out of bone. So my bet is that the bones are somehow remoulded into these armour-like shapes. Because of that i *think* they may look nice uniform in colour? 

6 minutes ago, Kugane said:

They are all kind of exoskeletons rather than bones, but all made out of bone. So my bet is that the bones are somehow remoulded into these armour-like shapes. Because of that i *think* they may look nice uniform in colour? 

Aye but then again the army is likely comprised of many different legions and groups  and that the different subfactions within it might have their own production sites. You could thus have different units from different "source" backgrounds within the same armed force. There might even be ties from the souls used to empire them to the source of the bones which forms them. 

Nagash or his bio-mancers might have found that if you take bones and souls from the same source region there's a greater performance of compatibility between the two. So those regions might well take on their own distinct colouration on the armour. 

Heck the fact that its manufactured means if you wanted to you could REALLY get creative and artistic with the painting. Heck some might start to paint themselves like Roman statues were painted to try and re-create tehir history on their newly built bodies. 

Edited by Overread
  • Like 3

Song all put together:

First I was afraid, I was ossified...

Kept thinking I could never leave without your bony tithe.......

But then I spent so many nights thinking Sigmar did me wrong
And I grew strong
And then I made a bony thong...

And so you're back
From the other place
But I cannot understand how you got a nose upon your face.....  

I should have kept Egyptian looks, I should made Khemri my home.
If I'd known for just one second, you'd be back to reanimate me...

Go on now go, bleed on the floor
Just pay your tithe now, Else you won't be living anymore

(added)I should of never smiled good buy, when I watch Settra potentially die,
now am stuck with this goofy Smile and am lost my Egyptian style...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • LOVE IT! 3

7 hours ago, Souleater said:

Kill it with fire 

Edited by choocheelo

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Heck the fact that its manufactured means if you wanted to you could REALLY get creative and artistic with the painting. 

Agreed.  As un example, I think that color schemes based on stone could  work very well on Bonereapers:

107017746ae23f36ff6f023346054093.jpg

nced506tuytz.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&au

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Aye but then again the army is likely comprised of many different legions and groups  and that the different subfactions within it might have their own production sites. You could thus have different units from different "source" backgrounds within the same armed force. There might even be ties from the souls used to empire them to the source of the bones which forms them. 

Nagash or his bio-mancers might have found that if you take bones and souls from the same source region there's a greater performance of compatibility between the two. So those regions might well take on their own distinct colouration on the armour. 

Heck the fact that its manufactured means if you wanted to you could REALLY get creative and artistic with the painting. Heck some might start to paint themselves like Roman statues were painted to try and re-create tehir history on their newly built bodies. 

4 hours ago, XReN said:

I found the complaints that the 'skeletons' have noses kind of amusing. That's really a minor detail compared to  say, all their limbs or the fact the cavalry seem to have a rib-cage which goes all the way down to their pelvis. Anatomical accuracy was definitely not the aim. They essentially are made of armour plates and wearing more armour plates. 

I agree with Overread that you can paint the exoskeletons however you like with no requirement to paint them bone. Painting them all Chamon style if you want to go full Necron is one obvious example and would be a very quick paint job with a metal primer. My favourite idea so far is getting a bunch of slaanesh and idoneth bits then making them into a giant crab army. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Souleater said:

100% agree*. I would particularly love mounted archers. Would fit the vibe, I think. 

I think it is reasonable to assume that most of the kits we have seen are going to be double- build kits.

We haven't seen any 'fighty' heroes, either.

12 minutes ago, Lord Ashmodath said:

I can't wait for the Mortisian Priest. He's the best model in the range imo

I may be being a little bit too politically correct, but what about that priest(ess) says they are a 'he'? I mean they're undead skeleton construct things so they aren't exactly going to have ******..... Katakros is the exception but the rest of the range so far is kind of non-gendered and a-sexual by definition so far.

Also does Katakros make anyone else think of Word up by Cameo?

See the source image

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

This faction has completely captivated me. I absolutely love the lower model count and the aesthetics. While some of the heads do bother me (and the Priest guy, like why are you wearing a tombstone?), I'm hoping to kitbash with some Tomb Kings kits. The new infantry + Tomb Guard heads and maybe weapons/shields to give them a little variety could look great.  I'd love to mix in some sculpts like Khalida/the Cask of Souls priest if multiple wizards are needed.

I know some people were hoping that it'd be Tomb Kings restored (I was too), but the Ossiarch Bonereapers really fit into AoS and I'll definitely give mine some Egyptian flair.

30 minutes ago, Dr. What said:

This faction has completely captivated me. I absolutely love the lower model count and the aesthetics. While some of the heads do bother me (and the Priest guy, like why are you wearing a tombstone?), I'm hoping to kitbash with some Tomb Kings kits. The new infantry + Tomb Guard heads and maybe weapons/shields to give them a little variety could look great.  I'd love to mix in some sculpts like Khalida/the Cask of Souls priest if multiple wizards are needed.

I know some people were hoping that it'd be Tomb Kings restored (I was too), but the Ossiarch Bonereapers really fit into AoS and I'll definitely give mine some Egyptian flair.

I love the tombstone he has on it! It's quite unique!

Greetings

Funny how a few days can make all the difference. Re-looked at the Ossiarch again this morning and I have to say they are really growing on me. I feel like the penny has dropped. I was a big fan of the End Times: Nagash book. Ancient Nehekara was re-conquered with the majority of the Tomb Kings abandoning Settra and joining Nagash to form the bulk of his armies during the End Times.

Fast forward to around a hundred millennia and you would expect Nagash's elite armies to be reforged in his image. The Ossiarch are just that, more horrifying than I could possibly imagine. How awesome would Nagash look leading a host of these bone reapers!

I love the acknowledgement with what has gone before too. The red hafts, the cartouche, even the name (Ossiary = Tomb, 'Arch-' = chief in Latin, i.e. King). I also love that they have made something new that fits the new setting and shines a new light on how things are in the Mortal Realms. Really looking forward to seeing you lot paint up your new Bonereapers.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2019 at 9:37 AM, Forrix said:

I haven't tried it before but I'll keep it in mind. I wasn't thinking of Contrast but I could see it being amazing for miniatures.

All of the browns are real winners in the range.

Skeleton horde over a primer of Wraithbone (seriously, I have yet to find a single case where Grey Seer is better), then drybrushed with Screaming Skull is a ridiculously effective bone color. The key is the Skeleton Horde application.  You want it on fairly thickly, but also evenly without patches or too much pooling on flat areas.  Let it settle into the little spot above the 'eyebrows' but not on the top of the skull itself, for example.  That said, even if it gets in bad flat areas, the Screaming highlight fixes almost all the issues.

I was skeptical, and even though there is no substitute for good old fashioned dark to light meticulous blending/highlighting, this is a darn fine expedient.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 12:39 PM, Veles said:

Upon seeing this release, I came to realization that my long-cherished hope of TK being resurrected in AoS setting is dead.

I had the same thought. The King (s) is dead. Long unlive the whatever is next.

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

All of the browns are real winners in the range.

Skeleton horde over a primer of Wraithbone (seriously, I have yet to find a single case where Grey Seer is better), then drybrushed with Screaming Skull is a ridiculously effective bone color. The key is the Skeleton Horde application.  You want it on fairly thickly, but also evenly without patched or too much pooling on flat areas.  Let it settle into the little spot about the 'eyebrows' but not on the top of the skull itself, for example.  That said, even if it gets in bad flat areas, the Screaming highlight fixes almost all the issues.

I was skeptical, and even though there is no substitute for good old fashioned dark to light meticulous blending/highlighting, this is a darn fine expedient.

Gray seer is better than wraithbone if you have blues, and/or want to do zenithal highlighting.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:27 PM, zilberfrid said:

But then I spent so many nights thinking Sigmar did me wrong
And I grew strong
And then I made a bony thong...

And so you're back
 Olynder found you
Inside there with that look upon your face 

• Haha 3