AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

If you were hoping for new Tomb King models, then yeah, this is pretty much the nail in that coffin.  If you were hoping for new rules for old Tomb King models, then assuming we see a "Legion of the Necropolis" list mixing this army with Deathrattle, Deathmage, & Soulblight then...

• tomb kings & princes -> vampire lords, maybe generic mortek hero if any
  • tomb heralds -> Wight kings
  • liche priests & necrotects -> necromancer, scythe wizard & scroll guy
  • skeleton phalanx -> skeleton warriors
  • tomb guard -> mortek guard
  • ushabti -> necropolis stalkers
  • catapult -> trebuchet
  • Carrion -> Fell Bats
  • Tomb Swarms -> Bat Swarms
  • maybe necroknights -> Kavaloss.  chariot bases are probably bigger than they should be, but if they're on the larger cav bases then not by too much
  • maybe even casket -> Katakros, as they are both larger scenic dioramas with multiple characters.  Katakros prob has a buffing role that could reasonably fit with the casket.

Honestly, I want to run this army, but won't be able to afford much of it right away, so will personally be proxying old Tomb King stuff as above for much of it at least to start.

The biggest missing elements are archers, chariots, sphinxes, and giants.  Admittedly those are some pretty big missing elements, particularly the chariots and sphinxes.  That said, we haven't seen the full Bonereaper release yet, I'm personally expecting a big monster kit that might work for either sphinxes or a giant depending on posture, but we'll see.  Even if the Ossiarchs don't deliver for these unit types, there's still hope that a future actual Deathrattle expansion might.  Wouldn't take but a single extra sprue added to the skeleton box to give them a ranged weapon variant, and bone giants have been mentioned a couple times in AoS lore already, so something like that didn't appear in this release it would still be a solid possibility for a later deathrattle expansion.

Edited by Sception

21 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I'm curious how these guys fit on the Elite <-> Horde scale. The linemen don't look like you'll be running 100 of them on the table at once (though someone will try it), to me they look like they'll be relatively elite, with the shield bros seeming fairly equivalent to Liberators and only having shown off elite units so far.

I'm also prepared for the Horsemen to be terrible, which sucks because those models are pretty great. There's only like, ~5 truly viable cavalry units in the game from my experience, so I'm ready for these ones to be underwhelming too. Or, broken, but likely not anywhere between.

I am rather sure about this:

infantry: 32mm

cavalry: 75(?) oval (Knight of shrouds oval size)

four Arm guys: 50mm

Assuming these guys are going to be allies with LoN, I can see bringing in some blobs of Skellies/Zombies/Chainrasps. They're not the best without the 6+ or Gravesites, but it's still cheap bodies which will work well with this army I bet (if nothing else just to blob down for the Catapult to shoot or Mortarch to sweep in).

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I am rather sure about this:

infantry: 32mm

cavalry: 75(?) oval (Knight of shrouds oval size)

four Arm guys: 50mm

That's what I expect as well.  If so, then tomb guard -> Morteks, Necroknights -> Kavalos, and Ushabti -> Necrostalkers should all work reasonably well.  The knights would be a bit bigger than they should be, and the guard & shabti a bit smaller, but not by so much that they wouldn't be workable in casual contexts.

27 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

On another note, the model in the attached picture has that Nighthaunt aesthetic - between the old three Mortarch's mounts, the Ossiarch Bonereapers and Nighthaunt, it's really easy to field an aesthetically coherent army consisting of the various forces of Death; I adore that a lot. 

Screenshot_2019-08-29-21-29-58-1.png

Agreed. I really like the global aesthetic this mini got. On the other hand, i hardly enjoy the dbz's "fffffffffuuuuusion"stance of the legs.

34 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Assuming these guys are going to be allies with LoN, I can see bringing in some blobs of Skellies/Zombies/Chainrasps. They're not the best without the 6+ or Gravesites, but it's still cheap bodies which will work well with this army I bet (if nothing else just to blob down for the Catapult to shoot or Mortarch to sweep in).

Well, nothing allies with LoN, because LoN isn't actually a faction keyword outside of Legion armies.

I'd say it's a safe bet that these will be able to ally with Deathrattle and Deathlords.  Nighthaunt is also relatively likely given some of the aesthetic nods, but far from sure.

Chances are they'll be able to pick up some sort of hordey unit via allies though, yeah, and it would probably be worth doing for bubble wrapping during deployment if nothing else.  I can't imagine these guys would take a wave of eels or multiple lucky nighthaunt charges very well on their own.

Edited by Sception

8 hours ago, Maier666 said:

I could see them having something like the 'Reanimation Protocol' Rule i think the Necrons in 40k have. 5+ and the modell comes back with X wounds or even all.

Considering how ****** that rule is for Necrons I wouldn't wish it on any other army. 

Theres not a snowballs chance in the Realm of Chaos that those bulky foot soldiers are on 25mm. But then again spears...hmm...confusing. Military style formations, Legions...could be 25mm but model wise thats a lot of detail and stuff on something that fits on a small base

19 hours ago, Malakithe said:

E8C22E9E-4A8E-43AE-B99D-6A9C6ACDD2E4.png

Wall-Gate.png

Awww yes castle greyskull for the skellipope.

18 hours ago, Starfyre said:

The Mortarch is awesome, but I'm not keen on the foot-troops. They look shorter than they should be, which I think is because the bones are so thick. This is massively emphasised on the Mortarch model, the standard bearer looks stumpy next to the longer form of the Mortarch and the other 3 models on the base. A fraction taller and I think they'd be great.

I also don't like the heads and faces of the foot troops, in particularly the straight-out Joker smiles. I wonder if there's alternative versions of these, or more heads with helmets like the one dude has, or the horsemen.

Im also a negative ghost Rider on the grinning heads.

16 hours ago, Austin said:

I really like the cavalry, and the heroes. 

Not sure about the infantry so far. Hopefully a couple more angles or options for the heads makes the difference.  Overall excited to see the rules/fluff. 

I agree on the cav and the mortarch diorama

15 hours ago, Cargo Cult said:

I should have kept Egyptian looks, I should have stayed in old Khemri
If I'd known for just one second you'd be back to replace me

Someone needs to collect all the pieces of this that has been posted.

Someone allready corrected in the FB thread that they are on 32mm bases.

Also spears, while they are usually reserved for horde units, I don’t see a reason why more elite units couldn’t use them either, especially when they draw inspiration from real life. It could be as simple as more attacks (swords) vs. longer range (spears), just like Orruk Brutes.

6 hours ago, Death1942 said:

Considering how ****** that rule is for Necrons I wouldn't wish it on any other army. 

Well, as design aspects of AoS and 40k are quite different, reanimation protokolls in AoS would be a fairly broken rule as without* shooting it is not that easy killing everything at once without an army with the porper output. Also, concider the fact that all units are heavy armoured and the infantery has even big ass shields which will make them even more sustainable.

edit: * ->Without a really huge load of shooting in most armies

Edited by Charleston
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Istual said:

Someone allready corrected in the FB thread that they are on 32mm bases.

Also spears, while they are usually reserved for horde units, I don’t see a reason why more elite units couldn’t use them either, especially when they draw inspiration from real life. It could be as simple as more attacks (swords) vs. longer range (spears), just like Orruk Brutes.

in real life spears are faster AND have a longer reach. its why with evenly matched opponents spear beats sword 80-90% of the time

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

in real life spears are faster AND have a longer reach. its why with evenly matched opponents spear beats sword 80-90% of the time

Swords are mainly used because they are convenient to wear, and protect the hand better. Not because they are better at defeating enemies.

You can't give your crossbowmen a polearm as a backup weapon, they have no place to stow it when firing and reloading. They can easily wear a sword and buckler though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kdt76 said:

As long as there is some boney bowmen... constructs. Love bowmen, hate stormcast.

100% agree*. I would particularly love mounted archers. Would fit the vibe, I think. 

I think it is reasonable to assume that most of the kits we have seen are going to be double- build kits.

We haven't seen any 'fighty' heroes, either.

I am wondering if we'll see 'female' OsBos. The Mortarch has gone all in on masculinity (even down to the posing pouch) with his body. Plus GW seem to be keener to add females in.

*about archers. I love SCE.

Edited by Souleater
  • Like 1