AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

I really like them but I'm waiting to see how the rules are and what the rest of the kits they hinted at look before reaching a decision (they'll be a 2020 army for me anyways thanks to painting backlog). The 4 armed guys fall flat for me so as long as I can build a coherent and semi-competitive army without them I think I'll be good (please god don't let them be the "Eels" of this release).

I'm a little concerned about the catapult. It looks great but I have to wonder at the viability of a gigantic ranged siege weapon in an army that doesn't seem to have access to cheap chaff (outside of allies but mandatory allies are a pet peeve of mine from an army design standpoint). Maybe the foot soldiers won't be too elite but then they look busy enough design wise I'm not sure I want to paint more than 20 or 30 of them tops.

4 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I really like them but I'm waiting to see how the rules are and what the rest of the kits they hinted at look before reaching a decision (they'll be a 2020 army for me anyways thanks to painting backlog). The 4 armed guys fall flat for me so as long as I can build a coherent and semi-competitive army without them I think I'll be good (please god don't let them be the "Eels" of this release).

I'm a little concerned about the catapult. It looks great but I have to wonder at the viability of a gigantic ranged siege weapon in an army that doesn't seem to have access to cheap chaff (outside of allies but mandatory allies are a pet peeve of mine from an army design standpoint). Maybe the foot soldiers won't be too elite but then they look busy enough design wise I'm not sure I want to paint more than 20 or 30 of them tops.

The troops look ideal for Contrast to me, if one was so inclined. So much bone! I imagine they paint up quite speedily.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I can attest Skeleton Horde is a great paint, and it's probably the best of the line in my opinion.

I haven't tried it before but I'll keep it in mind. I wasn't thinking of Contrast but I could see it being amazing for miniatures.

A lot of people don't like the smiles and grinning skulls but I kinda love them. They give a much more human feel to death in that these guys are sentient and not just puppets. They have been doing this job for millennia and serve a mortarch who in his own words enjoys his job. So it would make sense that their generals love for his work would rub off on his men and that they'd smile and grin every time he deems a cities tithe to be unworthy. They're a nice change of pace from scheming vampires, crazed ghouls and tortured souls. These are essentially deathcast, souls of warriors shoved in construct suits of bone, so their grins and twisted smiles make a nice contrast for the stoic masks worn by the stormcast. Almost like nagash where mocking sigmars greatest creations. 

Man i'm just hoping the next wave of model reveals gives us a morghast or similar monster hero, second infantry choice (preferably ranged) and a centerpiece monster. 

I also feel that these guys, being constructs will have a focus on 'repairing' wounds rather than the summoning or reviving that makes up the core mechanics of the other death factions.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Maier666 said:

I could see them having something like the 'Reanimation Protocol' Rule i think the Necrons in 40k have. 5+ and the modell comes back with X wounds or even all.

I wouldn't want that, it's basically a worse version of deathly invocations and at least in 40k the existence of that rule makes points costing necrons really weird.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

I wouldn't want that, it's basically a worse version of deathly invocations and at least in 40k the existence of that rule makes points costing necrons really weird.

Yeah i dont know the rule that well and dont know 40k either, i am not playing it, but could see them go in this or some sort of this direction.

2 minutes ago, Maier666 said:

Yeah i dont know the rule that well and dont know 40k either, i am not playing it, but could see them go in this or some sort of this direction.

Since it's tied to the unit it is factored into the point cost, unlike LoN where it's tied to the heroes and their proximity so it's less of a tax on the unit itself, plus the summonable keyword helps create a clear category of units that can fall under, and to an extent require the mechanic to function as intended. Meanwhile necron units could absolutely work fine without reanimation or reanimation reworked but it's tax on their cost really hurts their performance. I could see a self repair of healing a wound (or more for larger constructs) while near one of the priest heroes if they go the route of min 2 wound models for the army.

This is just for example purposes, sites of the heads will be way too small.

from belloflostsouls:

815D4016-A63F-4176-85C6-75D11ED93D6C.jpeg.fc54183254c10d5a87929b534cfb7358.jpeg

looks way more b** a** if you asked me 👌🏻

Also so if the whole army had this Samurai vibe, I‘s buy them within a heartbeat. As things stand now I am not sold on the range so far.

2C154591-762F-4083-8EA7-3E3DC817EE3C.png.b5e527c674384d3d657c52f38e86ba2c.png

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I will be getting 4 of the catapults if they have cool rules. I'd much prefer them to be super good but expensive than typical artillery and cheap (points wise).

Less:               36"    1    4+     3+    -1       D6         =          180 points

More:             6-40"      1        4+       2+        -3          4D6           =      380

I really do not know how I fell about new Bonereapers army. On one hand, it seems to be the first undead army that fully fit within AoS esthetics and lore. It is an army specifically designed for this game system. All other undead were sot of continuation from the Old Warhammer World and thus felt a bit alien to this setting (granted Nighthunt was released for AoS but it still felt and looked as an army that fits the Old World). I especially like that this new force follows the design of Morghasts models that were introduced at the End of Times and despite being conceptually very interesting didn’t quit feel right next to the rest of the army. Secondly, I like the “elitness” of this army. As of right now (without knowing the rules) it looks like one doesn’t need to collect 40+ models just to make one unit playable. This army takes a step away from “horde” aspect of usual undead which makes collecting it more affordable in terms of time and money. I also enjoy a bit of silliness (regardless if it was intentional or not on the part of designers). It really reminds me of early years of Warhammer. The idea that these are not skeletons but instead a bone construct is also cool (I prefer this lore much better that “terracotta warriors”) but at the same time this is where my issue with this army begins…

Upon seeing this release, I came to realization that my long-cherished hope of TK being resurrected in AoS setting is dead. Regardless if old players like it or not this is how GW sees the TK in AoS. Esthetically these are clearly not Egyptian themed phalanxes of warriors supported by chariots, war machines and constructs and this makes me sad. I never used to play TK (mostly due to the bad rules and models design) but when GW released several new sets for 8th edition I feel in love and sold most of my demons so I can start collecting this new army. My hopes were crushed because a relatively new line of models was almost instantly discontinued by GW as a range (I think they lasted around three years).  I was really hoping that at some point in time GW will rerelease plastic TK sets from 8th edition with possibly adding couple of new boxes to the range (like new chariots and rank and file skeletons). In fact, I think that previewed catapult could have easily fit TK line with appropriate crew attached to it. Even Tomb Guard models were “bulky” enough to be used instead of Mortek Guard…. That being said – TK are gone!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, michu said:

Someone here called Bonerippers "Necron Tyranids". Well, now I want them even more.

So later Necron books went towards fantasy with a tomb kings vibe.  Now Death is moving towards towards the grimdark future.  I give it ten years went both armies become one and it can be played in both game systems.

‘Sigmarines,” was a prejorative but some took that ball and ran with it.  Thanks to Honk I only call my Nighthaunt, “Bedsheet.”  Now all my monies will be going towards the Deathcrons.  Hope someone out there will take a kidney as payment.

Edited by Evil Bob
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

This is just for example purposes, sites of the heads will be way too small.

from belloflostsouls:

815D4016-A63F-4176-85C6-75D11ED93D6C.jpeg.fc54183254c10d5a87929b534cfb7358.jpeg

looks way more b** a** if you asked me 👌🏻

Also so if the whole army had this Samurai vibe, I‘s buy them within a heartbeat. As things stand now I am not sold on the range so far.

2C154591-762F-4083-8EA7-3E3DC817EE3C.png.b5e527c674384d3d657c52f38e86ba2c.png

Totally agreed on both points!

I don't think we're sure on the base sizes yet.  If the Bonereapers are on 40s, or even 32s, then the typical GW type skulls would look a lot smaller on them than that.  Ironically enough, the old Tomb Kings skulls have been a better fit on them.  Still, there should be third party options out there that would fit well enough.

If you're looking for a more 'serious business' type look to them, regular skulls for heads would certainly help with that.  I like the goofiness & personality of the official models' faces, but I can certainly see where others could find it very off putting, so this looks like a good idea for a relatively simple alternative.

Edited by Sception

I'm curious how these guys fit on the Elite <-> Horde scale. The linemen don't look like you'll be running 100 of them on the table at once (though someone will try it), to me they look like they'll be relatively elite, with the shield bros seeming fairly equivalent to Liberators and only having shown off elite units so far.

I'm also prepared for the Horsemen to be terrible, which sucks because those models are pretty great. There's only like, ~5 truly viable cavalry units in the game from my experience, so I'm ready for these ones to be underwhelming too. Or, broken, but likely not anywhere between.

3 minutes ago, Sception said:

I don't think we're sure on the base sizes yet.  If the Bonereapers are on 40s, or even 32s, then the typical GW type skulls would look a lot smaller on them than that.  Ironically enough, the old Tomb Kings skulls have been a better fit on them.  Still, there should be third party options out there that would fit well enough.

If you're looking for a more 'serious business' type look to them, regular skulls for heads would certainly help with that.  I like the goofiness & personality of the official models' faces, but I can certainly see where others could find it very off putting, so this looks like a good idea for a relatively simple alternative.

It's also really easy to just put a bit of modeling material onto the mouth and shape it into a grim variant, if one doesn't want to give up the actual aesthetic of the heads, I'll probably do that on at least some of those as I'd also rather have the Horrorghast head on Nagash instead of the original, but I don't want to substitute it with something entirely different, just give the intended look a tad of a twist. 

I don't think they will be a horde type army. I think it will be just like tzaangors or fyreslayers that one unit of 30-40 guys do the work. I say it beacause it would be really strange if they were purely elite having a spear option at the same time (which in most cases it is a horde weapon)