AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

Just now, SleeperAgent said:

The Petrifex Elite CA is Bludgeon.  Unless he was talking about the Dread Falchions Im fairly certain spirit blades max out at rend 3.

Yeah I realised as soon as I hit send that that's what it is called. Yeah I think he might be talking about falchions. But those are only 3 attacks not 5, so not sure

24 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

I was using the Falchion profile instead of blades.

Your cheatsy Skaven side is coming out I see 😉

One thing with your list, why run 2x10 Mortek instead.of another unit of 20? I assume just for more board coverage but I've found the units of 10 aren't worthwhile at much.. I'd rather have a more solid unit up front and in the fighting.

Hey everyone, got a short game against Sylvaneth again.. this time using Nagash. Everyone has been out for the Holidays so I apologize for the Sylvaneth game spam.. other players are slim right now but this guy is great to play. Hopefully the January Meetup will allow me to get in 1-3 different games.

Anyway, yeah... thanks for reading.

8 hours ago, Obeisance said:

How are people finding Petrifex lists that don't run Arkhan or Katacross? (Also Nagash, I guess)

They've worked reasonably well for me (Liege, Soulmason, 2x Boneshapers) but I still think I prefer to have Katakros for the +1 hit aura over banking on the spell to go off on top of all his other utility and 5 RDP.

I still have the most success with Katakros + Soulmason, 60 Mortek w/ battalion and 6 Stalkers.. but the above 4 hero list is pretty close (and you can get +1 to wound with the Cartouche). 

Edited by Gwendar

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

They've worked reasonably well for me (Liege, Soulmason, 2x Boneshapers) but I still think I prefer to have Katakros for the +1 hit aura over banking on the spell to go off on top of all his other utility and 5 RDP.

I still have the most success with Katakros + Soulmason, 60 Mortek w/ battalion and 6 Stalkers.. but the above 4 hero list is pretty close (and you can get +1 to wound with the Cartouche). 

What are you spending the last 60pts on?

25 minutes ago, ArgyBargy said:

What are you spending the last 60pts on?

Just Endless Spells. The Katakros\Soulmason list usually takes Carrion + Predator or I take a Shrieker + Carrion. The other one has enough left to take all 3.

Of course, you could also throw in some generic Endless Spells, just be aware you will always have to move your OBR ones first meaning your opponent will always get to move the generic ones no matter what.

1 hour ago, Obeisance said:

I've gotten a lot of value out of the Shrieker, some from the Predator. I've never actually cast the Carrion. It doesn't seem worth the -1 cast.

Prove me wrong?

The only time I could see it being useful is if something is hiding from Arkhan and you cast it behind then Arcane Bolt them twice.

EDIT: Or hiding from Nagash and you bolt them 7 times :D

Edited by SleeperAgent

18 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Wait, it grants point of origin on casting? I thought it was just line of sight. I assume range is still needed from Arkhan?

Otherwise it's basically a spell portal.

Yeah it grants LOS. So if something hides behind a terrain feature you summon the bird behind and you have LOS.

@Obeisance Right, just LoS, not a point of origin like the Spellportal. It's great for people that like to hide their stuff behind terrain (like a Slann). Also, keep in mind it puts out damage\healing every phase in which you did damage.. so it could potentially add up to a decent amount over the course of the game.

On 12/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, miguel_fernan said:

I was about to ask the same, although I would have probably verbalize it differently xD I have a tournament in February but have to send the list next week and I have no idea what to play yet, so I was thinking on looking for lists to play.

I think about the one on the previous post, mainly 3x20 mortek, Arkham Liege soulmason, and the shield corps. Not sure yet on the extra 400 if go with 6 stalkers (less drops and more focused on killing big thingsa and taking advantage of the extra atacks) or 2 crawlers (2 snipe heroes and units in objectives).

Is there a better option to go semi blind? I would test the list a lot before playing the tournament, but unfortunately I havent played much before sending the list and I havent figure out the most optimal list yet... Thanks!

I'm trying this but with 2 shapers instead of arkhan and with the 400 points, I'm doing 2 harvesters. Having basically a 4+ after save is really good

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Obeisance said:

I've gotten a lot of value out of the Shrieker, some from the Predator. I've never actually cast the Carrion. It doesn't seem worth the -1 cast.

Prove me wrong?

The only people not using it are miss reading the spell. Cast out anywhere in LOS, ideally in a big blob on enemy units, on a 3+ in the hero phase, shooting phase, charge phase, combat phase, battleshock phase that a model is removed near it, every unit within 6 takes a mortal. I've killed characters with it without targeting the characters with anything

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blitzd said:

The only people not using it are miss reading the spell. Cast out anywhere in LOS, ideally in a big blob on enemy units, on a 3+ in the hero phase, shooting phase, charge phase, combat phase, battleshock phase that a model is removed near it, every unit within 6 takes a mortal. I've killed characters with it without targeting the characters with anything

Dude, thanks for pointing it out like that. Turns out I never truly read his rules. I'm kind of speechless, this bird is absolutely bonkers. 

Now I truly want to buy a catapult. 

Having quite a few games under the belt now, I think in terms of strongest list, as in bring to tournaments in top competetive play and never to your friends, is a Katakros and guard spam list, including stalkers.

I am thinking  Arkhan might not be a bad choice, as he does bring a lot for his points, with petrifex and Katakros buffs he is a force himself to fear in combat and decently durable too, while also providing those nice heals along with Katakros to provide som oppressive staying power. As the list is weak against Mortal wounds, having access to 3 unbinds with +2 will really help as well.

While Mortek does a LOT of damage especially as petrifex, the Stalkers do even more. The next choice would be 2 harvesters instead of Stalkers, as they also do a lot of damage, while giving even more sustain, they are less effective going of on their own though and the list is somewhat lacking in board presence, so having the stalkers might be best, as durability is not really the issue, and nothing comes close to the output of stalkers in precision stance.

Do not ever bring this list in a friendly game ;)

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Petrifex Elite
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (400)
Nightmare Predator (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

Rocking this tonight as my first ever game with the Bonereapers. Still trying to settle on a list I want to run so going to give this a go and then see what's what.

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Archaeossian
- Artefact: Godbone Armour
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- Artefact: Soul Reservoir
- Lore of Mortisans: Arcane Command
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons

Battleline
40 x Mortek Guard (440)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

Battalions
Mortek Ballistari (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
Soulstealer Carrion (20)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

42 minutes ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Rocking this tonight as my first ever game with the Bonereapers. Still trying to settle on a list I want to run so going to give this a go and then see what's what.

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Archaeossian
- Artefact: Godbone Armour
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- Artefact: Soul Reservoir
- Lore of Mortisans: Arcane Command
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons

Battleline
40 x Mortek Guard (440)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

Battalions
Mortek Ballistari (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
Soulstealer Carrion (20)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

My advice would be to split the 40 man unit into 2x20. As petrifex Morteks are plenty tough and a 40 man unit will just result in a lot of models not being able to fight and also less board presence. With 20/20/10 you can get the shield corps battalion instead of the Ballistari one, which is far more useful i find.

You could also consider to give godbone armor to your boneshaper instead (as he needs to be rather close to the action) and make him more durable and give the Liege Kavalos the Helm of the Ordained for a +1 to hit bubble within 12" of him. He has the speed to position it decently and make for a mini katakros. The guard blobs can handle well enough with the wizard support, so the Kavalos is really useful with the deahtriders, buffing them with the +1 hit bubble, +1 attack command and then the petrifex +1 rend and they will oblitarate whatever they charge and can also do some sneaky pile ins potentially.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

My advice would be to split the 40 man unit into 2x20. As petrifex Morteks are plenty tough and a 40 man unit will just result in a lot of models not being able to fight and also less board presence. With 20/20/10 you can get the shield corps battalion instead of the Ballistari one, which is far more useful i find.

You could also consider to give godbone armor to your boneshaper instead (as he needs to be rather close to the action) and make him more durable and give the Liege Kavalos the Helm of the Ordained for a +1 to hit bubble within 12" of him. He has the speed to position it decently and make for a mini katakros. The guard blobs can handle well enough with the wizard support, so the Kavalos is really useful with the deahtriders, buffing them with the +1 hit bubble, +1 attack command and then the petrifex +1 rend and they will oblitarate whatever they charge and can also do some sneaky pile ins potentially.

Cheers for the advice however, the problem I have with running 20/20/10 in a shield corps is I need an extra 70pts for the extra unit of Mortek and the Shield-corps battalion.

Could drop the endless spells for 50pts but still 20pts short. I could drop the unit of Horses and Carrion endless spell and have 20/20/20 Guard with the Shield-Corps battalion but I quite like the quickness of the Deathriders getting around the table.