AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

I expect points increases more or less across the board, even of stuff that very clearly doesn't need it, under the philosophy that starting everything over-pointed gives them more room to fine tune going forward based on public play feed back and large event results.

Today's warcom update sure is taking its sweet time.  Aren't they normally up by now?

Edited by Sception

9 minutes ago, Sception said:

Today's warcom update sure is taking its sweet time.  Aren't they normally up by now?

I think they upload them later during the weekends.. I hope it will be up in 18 minutes or in 1 hour and 18 minutes from now. 

• Like 1

its up

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/12/implacable-inexorable-inevitable-ossiarch-bonereapers-march-into-the-new-edition/

And, after reading it, exactly zero of the key quetions for how this army will function in the new edition were answered.  Are we still prevented from using core command abilities?  No idea.  Can the core rules and battalions that allow other armies to get extra command points be used to give us discipline points?  No idea.  Does the 'only one command ability at a time' rule apply to all of our faction command abilities, dramatically reducing our ability to use our own warscroll and subfaction abilities?  No idea.

Without these answers, it's not only unclear how the faction works in the new edition, but whether it works really at all.

The article isn't entirely devoid of information.  We do see the new arcane bolt, which contrary to previous rumors is not the original 1e version that deals an immediate d3 mortals at range.  This in turn makes me doubt that mystic shield will be going back to +1 armor save either, which is too bad for Nagash, if he's going to be hovering around 1000 points he ~really~ wants that 2+ save.

AoSFF Ossiarchs Jun12 Boxout2

As for the new arcane bolt itself... well its certainly interesting.  Awkward, though.  It'll require some sort of tokens or counters to keep track of it in play, especially on Nagash & Arkhan who can cast it multiple times.  Even the 1-wound version is very short ranged though.  Pretty neat for melee wizards, whether they expect to be charging or getting charged.  For more typical wizards who prefer to avoid combat, though, it kind of loses a lot of it's value as a fallback generic spell option, imo.

Edited by Sception

The other big info in that article was regarding monsters. Apparently they now count they wound characteristic when holding objectives. Funny how they dropped that with the OBR article, who doesn't have many monsters...

Is there another leak or source that specifically says they count wound characteristic?  I'm just reading 'multiple models' with no specific word on how many.  It could be a flat 5, or a flat 10, or 1/2 wound characteristic, or bravery, or who knows what.  Wound characteristic would make the most sense, but I'm not sure making the most sense was a big priority for 3e rules.  😛

Edited by Sception

28 minutes ago, Sception said:

Is there another leak or source that specifically says they count wound characteristic?  I'm just reading 'multiple models' with no specific word on how many.  It could be a flat 5, or a flat 10, or 1/2 wound characteristic, or bravery, or who knows what.  Wound characteristic would make the most sense, but I'm not sure making the most sense was a big priority for 3e rules.  😛

I heard flat 5 before. I doubt that they count as their wounds characteristic because that would invalidate a command trait they just printed in Soulblight (Hunters's Snare from Vyrkos) which does the same thing.

• Like 1

Someone on the Age of Nagash discord is saying it's a flat 5 for monsters, and 2 for regular units with wounds characteristics of 5 or more.  That sounds plausible to me.  They also claim you have to be within 3" of an objective to count for claiming it it instead of the previous 6", so it's much harder for large units to apply weight of numbers.

That would also make it much easier to zone opponents off of objectives altogether.

Edited by Sception
  • Thanks 1

I've been thinking about it some more, and maybe 'cannot benefit from more than one command ability at the same time' just means a unit can't receive two command abilities in the same phase?  So if you used nagash or katakros in the hero phase, you could still use other abilities in other phases, even if your units are still benefiting from the ca used in the hero phase?  That would be bad, but not as bad....

Bah.  Really need to see the wording on command abilities.

Edited by Sception

10 hours ago, Sception said:

I've been thinking about it some more, and maybe 'cannot benefit from more than one command ability at the same time' just means a unit can't receive two command abilities in the same phase?  So if you used nagash or katakros in the hero phase, you could still use other abilities in other phases, even if your units are still benefiting from the ca used in the hero phase?  That would be bad, but not as bad....

Bah.  Really need to see the wording on command abilities.

Hope at least in one bubble, one command ability and one spell.

In general I like the changes in aos3 but I have the feeling that they used obr as prototype/beta test experiment for the new rules implementation, since some mechanics "nullify" how obr works

The Bonereapers article from yesterday had me nervous. Just about the only thing we learned about the rules that will still specifically impact the army is that they kept the Discipline points and are excluded from command points.

With the new edition being so focused on using actual command points as a key way to enjoy the game and have armies work, it seems like they will need to have one heck of a Day One FAQ to make them work. Either that or "the following command abilities can be executed with Discipline on a point for point basis."

Yikes!

Edited by Sleboda

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

The Bonereapers article from yesterday had me nervous. Just about the only thing we learned about the rules that will still specifically impact the army is that they kept the Discipline points are excluded from command points.

With the new edition being so focused on using actual command points as a key way to enjoy the game and have armies work, it seems like they will need to have one heck of a Day One FAQ to make them work. Either that or "the following command abilities can be executed with Discipline on a point for point basis."

Yikes!

And how the bound Endless spell mechanic will work for them. Because right now mages can take control of any at their magic phase if they are in a control zone. And can be snatched by a ennemy wizard at their own phase.

Maybe OBR will have a tweak that make their own endless spells not being able to be controled by enemy mages at the cost of -1 when bound ?

Anyway OBR need to have some tweak or commentary when 3.0 launch because right now they are paying heavily to have been off rules in those areas in 2.0..

Edited by Harioch

1 hour ago, Hungey26 said:

Listening to Facehammer TV review the core book they did confirm that as of now (without an FAQ) we are indeed unable to use the new command abilities which makes sense as it is a restriction within our book.

Where did they say that on the stream. I've been trying to find it. 

1 minute ago, SilverJelly said:

It was after the hour mark but i dont remember the exact timestamp. They mentioned that they don't have the core book FAQ or Batlletome FAQ which may change how bonereapers are.

• Thanks 1

How are people feeling? 

Few things to note with the new rule set.

CA's can only be used once per phase and a unit can only issue or benefit from 1. Which means;

- Only One unit gets an extra attack per phase from the Kavalos or Katakros

- Mortek can't reroll saves and get an extra attack

- You can only move 1 unit an extra 3 inches

- only 1 unit of deathriders can use the wedge in the charge phase

- Zandtos can no longer do an extra attack and reroll wounds.

Hopefully an FAQ drops at the same time as the full release. Or we are going to be in a tough place for a little bit.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Sharklone said:

How are people feeling? 

Few things to note with the new rule set.

CA's can only be used once per phase and a unit can only issue or benefit from 1. Which means;

- Only One unit gets an extra attack per phase from the Kavalos or Katakros

- Mortek can't reroll saves and get an extra attack

- You can only move 1 unit an extra 3 inches

- only 1 unit of deathriders can use the wedge in the charge phase

- Zandtos can no longer do an extra attack and reroll wounds.

Hopefully an FAQ drops at the same time as the full release. Or we are going to be in a tough place for a little bit.

I don't think we get any but for heroes maybe.

I'm convinced that the new battletome is near and at least a new battleline unit alike.

Edited by baiardo

Hello there. Im just painted my Ossiarch army and now, with third AOS edition confused. can i run 40 motek guard in one unit or not? im planning use this list, but may better\must change some? 

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Mortis Praetorians
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
40 x Mortek Guard (440)
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

On 6/13/2021 at 8:54 PM, SilverJelly said:

Honestly, they don't need to say/confirm it. As of now, the rules in our book are clear. Bonereapers cannot use Command Points. Nothing about a new edition of the main rules changes that. All the new command abilities require Command Points to activate. Bonereapers can't use Command Points. Simple.

Stinks a ton, but simple.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, simakover said:

Hello there. Im just painted my Ossiarch army and now, with third AOS edition confused. can i run 40 motek guard in one unit or not? im planning use this list, but may better\must change some? 

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Mortis Praetorians
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
40 x Mortek Guard (440)
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

You certainly can, but not in Matched Play games.