AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

14 hours ago, Nasrod said:

Correct. But Stalkers with 1" range make me hesitant to run packs of 6. So the extra 3 from the Box I was possibly going to pick up were going to become Immortis Guard no matter what, simply for unit variety's sake. 

Even so, with Stalkers in the middle, 4 Morghast on theright, and 20 Guard + Boneshaper + Kavalos down the left, the Immortis Guard and 10 Mortek on the right screening Vok and preventing deepstrikes behind him just turned him into a massive block of "Not even worth shooting."

Since Vok has to be within 8" to return a Morghast, chances are he will be in danger, hence the Guard feeling necessary. Right now I'm mostly trying to experiment with non min maxed list... my army interests since starting were Daughters of Khaine --> Nighthaunt --> Slaanesh --> Idoneth --> Ossiarch.

Needless to say some opponents suspect nefarious interests lol. 

Ah sorry, I didn't even see the "3 Stalkers" in the list! This old man needs to remember to put his glasses on when reading! 

It's an interesting list with most of the stuff coming from Feast of Bones! I may have to piece something similar together as well. 

Hi all! New project coming up and as usual I like to start at 1k, then build up (with the first list as  a base) towards 2k. 

IF you (anyone who likes to share) would start at 1k and build a solid, good list with units that will always be useful for later competitive play, how would your 1k list look? 

I have one myself in mind: 

1x Bonemason 

1x Boneshaper 

2x 20 Guard 

1x Crawler 

Effective? 

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by Kimbo

Hi!

Can Katakross deny the command point you get at the start of your turn? OBR is my  second army, my main is SCE and I play anvilstrike. Katakros and 2 crawler looks like an autolose if the SCE player doesn't get any command points in 2 turns.

Edited by Victra

33 minutes ago, Victra said:

Hi!

Can Katakross deny the command point you get at the start of your turn? OBR is my  second army, my main is SCE and I play anvilstrike. Katakros and 2 crawler looks like an autolose if the SCE player doesn't get any command points in 2 turns.

That is precisely what he can do on a 4+-

If you are worried about extra shooting phases, buy a CP at least for 50 pts, he can't take that away from you. Aside from that anvilstrike should do quite well against bonereapers and Katakros. No rerolls against shooting from Mortek and the ability to snipe characters, If you cant dedicate firepower to kill Katakros, just knocking a few wounds of him will quickly remove his -1 to hit debuff, which he will most likely be placing on the largest raptor unit otherwise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Hi all! New project coming up and as usual I like to start at 1k, then build up (with the first list as  a base) towards 2k. 

IF you (anyone who likes to share) would start at 1k and build a solid, good list with units that will always be useful for later competitive play, how would your 1k list look? 

I have one myself in mind: 

1x Bonemason 

1x Boneshaper 

2x 20 Guard 

1x Crawler 

Effective? 

Thank you in advance! 

For 130pts you could bring 10 more mortek which is more than he's likely to bring back and I'm not sure the extra 10 mortek won't do more than the boneshaper will. 

At 1k I've been liking this:

Soulmason

40 mortek

10 mortek

10 mortek 

Mortek shield corps

Bone shrieker

Whilst low on rdp the shield Corp gives you 2 free shield walls per round so I haven't felt particularly short. 40 mortek can deal with pretty much everything (killed a frost lord on stonehorn (metalcruncher) with ethereal amulet last time out. The other 2 units of 10 are still legit at that point level and gives you a good chunk of mortek for bigger games

5 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

If you are worried about extra shooting phases, buy a CP at least for 50 pts, he can't take that away from you. Aside from that anvilstrike should do quite well against bonereapers and Katakros. No rerolls against shooting from Mortek and the ability to snipe characters, If you cant dedicate firepower to kill Katakros, just knocking a few wounds of him will quickly remove his -1 to hit debuff, which he will most likely be placing on the largest raptor unit otherwise.

Definitely I'm going to make room for that CP. If the only threat is Katakros it's ok. I can't let the crawlers shoot at my longstrikes, the survibability of the longstrikes is nº1 priority, 9 lonkstrike as an average do ~8 damage against a crawler, so I need luck or a double tap 😂.

Thank you for your response.

2 hours ago, StokieRich said:

Apologies for doubles post

Looks cool. 

What do you think about this? (Or anyone else for that matter) 

You remove the endless spell, remove the batalion and instead add the Liege-K. 

He gives 2 CPs... to use for the reroll on guard shields. And a decent fighting Hero that has a Nice CA for the guard. So:

Soulmason

Liege-K 

20x guard 

20x guard 

10x guard 

Good or bad? 

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Depending on the Anvilstrike list, this could be a really tough match up. Simply deploying Katakros >30.1” away denies the Longstrikes entirely (teleport non withstanding). 

As OBR, I’d be tempted to take the first turn to drop double -1 penalties on the Longstrikes (Katakros and Nexus), then hit the unit with double buffed crawler. 8 shots is some 5 dead Raptors.

As SCE, I think you need to start the raptors in the sky. 

Either way, report back @Victra

28 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Looks cool. 

What do you think about this? (Or anyone else for that matter) 

You remove the endless spell, remove the batalion and instead add the Liege-K. 

He gives 2 CPs... to use for the reroll on guard shields. And a decent fighting Hero that has a Nice CA for the guard. So:

Soulmason

Liege-K 

20x guard 

20x guard 

10x guard 

Good or bad? 

I'm sure it'd be decent mate but I think 40 10 10 is better than 20 20 10 as that 40 is just so, so good. You're also splitting what you have to maintain those buffs on as to buff 2x20 to have reroll saves is 4cp a round, whereas to buff the 40 is just 2 (which you get for free with the battalion) 

The battalion feels to me like 3rdp a turn for 120pts, plus lowers your drops so I wouldn't want to drop it. 

Having said that though mate none of us have likely played enough games to, "figure out" what the best is, so go for it and let us know what your experiences are and we can all benefit 😊

In my experience when a big nasty unit charges the 20 they might kill say 10-15 and your return punch is neutered. If they kill 10-15 of your 40, they're very, very likely to just die in return from the other 25-30 guard with 50-60 rend 2 attacks.

If nothing else that massively changes how they play the game as they can't really take on that 40 at all in combat. 

Edited by StokieRich

1 hour ago, KK9T said:

Arch-Kavalos Zandtos or Liege-Kavalos? Just bought the box and am wondering how to build him. Who's better? Liege can obviously take command trait and artifact. 

If you're playing petrefex elite which is certainly the competitive option atm, then you're going to want to build the kavalos.

32 minutes ago, StokieRich said:

I'm sure it'd be decent mate but I think 40 10 10 is better than 20 20 10 as that 40 is just so, so good. You're also splitting what you have to maintain those buffs on as to buff 2x20 to have reroll saves is 4cp a round, whereas to buff the 40 is just 2 (which you get for free with the battalion) 

The battalion feels to me like 3rdp a turn for 120pts, plus lowers your drops so I wouldn't want to drop it. 

Having said that though mate none of us have likely played enough games to, "figure out" what the best is, so go for it and let us know what your experiences are and we can all benefit 😊

In my experience when a big nasty unit charges the 20 they might kill say 10-15 and your return punch is neutered. If they kill 10-15 of your 40, they're very, very likely to just die in return from the other 25-30 guard with 50-60 rend 2 attacks.

If nothing else that massively changes how they play the game as they can't really take on that 40 at all in combat. 

Yeah, i'll try your and mine! Thanks for the reply 👌

I painted my first Bonereaper tonight. Was going for something abit different, a "hellish" looking...thing...yeah... 

Thought i would share the end result! Quite happy with it and it was quick to do.

20191222_232140.jpg

20191222_232122.jpg

Edited by Kimbo
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Depending on the Anvilstrike list, this could be a really tough match up. Simply deploying Katakros >30.1” away denies the Longstrikes entirely (teleport non withstanding). 

As OBR, I’d be tempted to take the first turn to drop double -1 penalties on the Longstrikes (Katakros and Nexus), then hit the unit with double buffed crawler. 8 shots is some 5 dead Raptors.

As SCE, I think you need to start the raptors in the sky. 

Either way, report back @Victra

I have been playing lately with Pjetsky's list (double incantor, 10 evo, 9 longstrike). Yesterday  I played a game with a friend and his OBR, we have a tournament in mid January and we are testing some lists. Everyone is weak against shooting, but with a 3+ save you can take a lot of firepower. He took first turn and put a -1 on my longstrikes (He was playing with katakros, boneshaper, arkhan, morteks, 3 stalkers, 3 immortis and a unit of deathriders). I deployed my longstrikes in the battlefield because I had no ranged threats. It was a close game and I was surprised how hard it is to remove OBR units from play. If he swaps arkhan for 2 crawlers my longstrikes won't do enough damage before dying and 10 evocators can't kill a unit of 20 morteks in one round. He'll dominate the shooting and combat phase. 

If double crawler becomes meta I see a return to ballistas. 

Sorry for polluting this thread with SCE things, maybe we can switch this conversation to the SCE tread.

I was thinking of including a crawler in my OBR list to deal with shooting but I'm starting to think that we can take the punch and move forward. Two crawlers or none.

• Like 1

So played some very good players today and went 1 and 2. Tabled flesh eater courts in a scenario favorable to us duality of death, lost to skaven running thanquol and four warpfire throwers, and lost to big waagh despite tabling him. 

couple of universal thoughts from the games will do more detailed stuff later. I probably don’t want to take first turn, I got double turned the first two games and with skaven it cost me the game, flesh eater courts could have if he rolled better. 

Fast armies with lots of bodies suck. The orruks charged turn one and kept me In combat for four turns, he managed to sneak one objective more then I did and I did not have the speed with only two turns to get two of his to make it up. 

Not being able to run six or reroll charges is also annoying. Had a chance to kill thanq with the harvester but failed a albeit long charge of 8. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dolomyte said:

Not being able to run six or reroll charges is also annoying. Had a chance to kill thanq with the harvester but failed a albeit long charge of 8. 

This is one of the reasons I love Necropolis Stalkers. IIRC they are the only instance of reroll charges in the book.

2 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

This is one of the reasons I love Necropolis Stalkers. IIRC they are the only instance of reroll charges in the book.

Yea the only "problem" is they need to activate that ability in the hero phase, so you have to invest before even rolling. I am beginning to Value Morghast Harbingers as well for this reason, as having the ability to charge 3d6 and fly over a frontline meshes well with the way i play OBR. They do not hit as hard as stalkers, but can more easily manouver around.

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Yea the only "problem" is they need to activate that ability in the hero phase, so you have to invest before even rolling. I am beginning to Value Morghast Harbingers as well for this reason, as having the ability to charge 3d6 and fly over a frontline meshes well with the way i play OBR. They do not hit as hard as stalkers, but can more easily manouver around.

I agree. Also the most underwhelming unit on the table for me was the catapults. I would say one in three or four games they are world beaters, my opponents fail their saves, damage rains across the table. The other two or three games they don’t make back their points. Skaven for instance with 16 shots on thanquol a grand total of 5 damage dealt. I did expend the special ammo before they died and took out 19 clanrats. 

against orruks they killed two ardboyz and a Warchanter.

im really debating bringing in stalkers or harbingers for objective threatening 

45 minutes ago, Dolomyte said:

im really debating bringing in stalkers or harbingers for objective threatening 

I've been debating Harbingers myself but I can tell you that running 1x6 Stalkers has been far better than the Crawler for me. Killing 2 CoS Wizards in 1 turn and 15 Darkshards in another with the thing was great and all... but other games I've used it (Ogres, Sylvaneth) it just does nothing and is too easily tied up by any form of fast moving\teleporters.

Yea gettting anything in close combat with it puts it out of the fight, in which case you need to dedicate forces to protect it as well and suddenly you got a lot of point dedicated to firing a few shots without rend. 

The saving grace for it is the lack of activation wars abilites OBR has, so putting in damage without being engaged is valuable, and also the psychological effect of being able to hit something in the back lines of the opponent, will affect how they play most likely. The average output of it against units wtih 4+ saves is slightly below 1 successful hit (around 4.5 damage average), so those hits really have to hurt to be of value. Being ranged it also only does this once per battleround, unlike combat units who can attack in the opponents turn.

Stalkers are our most damaging unit per point, so there is a good case of bringing those guys along. Wish they could be battle line in a legion, I'd love a more aggressive list of monster dudes.