AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

3 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

They really are very nice looking art cubes, but dice? Not sure I would call them that. You sorta need to be able to tell the numbers on them to be useful as dice.

Can you count fingers? If yes then you can tell the numbers. If no then you might need some pre-schooler to teach you.

What I don't like about them is that GW once again carved the symbols in instead of having them neatly painted on like with some of their other faction dicesets. At least they aren't as bad as the 40k Death Guard ones which are horrible to roll I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

They really are very nice looking art cubes, but dice? Not sure I would call them that. You sorta need to be able to tell the numbers on them to be useful as dice.

Well that's not an issue, they're as clear as crystal to me. But if you have issues with them, then you're more than welcome to not buy them.

19 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Can you count fingers? If yes then you can tell the numbers. If no then you might need some pre-schooler to teach you.

You have to QUICKLY see what number they show. If you have to count fingers 20 times all the time then the game will take ages.

@Neinball the issue is that your opponent will have an issue with you using the dice. It has been the same with the Idoneth, squig and Nurgle dice.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

You have to QUICKLY see what number they show. If you have to count fingers 20 times all the time then the game will take ages.

It worries me how long you think it takes to count fingers. Personally it doesn't take me longer than counting dots. 🤨

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

@Neinball the issue is that your opponent will have an issue with you using the dice. It has been the same with the Idoneth, squig and Nurgle dice.

It's not even counting fingers, each facing has a unique image. 2 is side view, 3 is missing a finger, 4 has all fingers and no thumb, and 5 all the digits. 1 and 6 are the typical skull and faction symbol.

Again it's not counting fingers, it's pattern recognition. Do you count all the pips on a die? 

Just now, Neinball said:

It's not even counting fingers, each facing has a unique image. 2 is side view, 3 is missing a finger, 4 has all fingers and no thumb, and 5 all the digits. 1 and 6 are the typical skull and faction symbol.

Again it's not counting fingers, it's pattern recognition. Do you count all the pips on a die? 

Your opponent won‘t have learned those patterns and usually they don‘t intent to. Apart from that: the balance of those dice will be utterly off and favor some rolls heavily.

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Your opponent won‘t have learned those patterns and usually they don‘t intent to. Apart from that: the balance of those dice will be utterly off and favor some rolls heavily.

Well if I learned it by looking at the dice for 10 seconds, I have faith you can, too! You and @Sleboda have made it clear your opinions on the dice, we can continue on other topics now. 

The Warscroll cards give some insight into the army. Healing and resurrection will be core mechanics again it seems, but for any Ossiarch unit, no summonable keyword equivalent. Heros and elite units can be healed just the same. If that's the case for all other similar mechanics, Nagash and/or Arkhan look to be staples again.

• Like 1

Just now, Neinball said:

Well if I learned it by looking at the dice for 10 seconds, I have faith you can, too! You and @Sleboda have made it clear your opinions on the dice, we can continue on other topics now. 

It‘s not only an opinion it‘s experience. I can‘t use my Idoneth dice since even in friendly games ALL my opponents asked me kindly to use others since they can‘t easily and quickly realize what numbers they show. But do whatever you will, I am not here to fight advise-resistance.

20 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Precisely.

It's not that I can't count (though the insult from Panzer is oh so much appreciated), it's that taking the time is a pain. Yes, we can see pips on normal dice and get our results quickly, but we've all dealt with pips since we were 2 days old. They are pretty much second nature.

The form-over-function nature of many GW dice is annoying.

Again, I think they are really great looking. I just don't think it's right to ask an opponent to deal with them. So, it's not a matter of me not buying them, which I may or may not (I have the non-functional squig dice, but I don't use them in games), it's a matter of my opponents using them whether I like them or not.

I try very hard to not be an imposition on my opponents when I play. It would be nice if my opponent behaved similarly.

Anyway, on the positive, I'm super excited for the scenery piece. That thing is the bomb!

• Thanks 1

I'll be skipping the dice myself.  They do look a bit awkward to tell the numbers - not unworkable but still an unnecessary, if however minor, slowdown on rolls.  Plus I'm still happy with my legion of nagash dice.

As for the box set... I hope I can find someone to split it with, as I don't expect the hero in it will be available separately any time soon, judging by other recent box set releases.  I'm not going to get the whole box just for myself, though....

Definitely getting the book & the terrain.

• Like 1