AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

2 hours ago, NoMaDhOoK said:

So we know that Petrifex Elite Mortek Guard are absolutely digusting (honestly that is what makes PE so unfun for many people).

What might be better (I might give it a try for casual games) is to lean into the elite part of the name and nerf the petrifex elite ability to

"add +1 to save rolls for units with a wounds characteristic of 3 or more" (so everything except mortek)

No if only there was a way to make stalkers battleline (I can dream) 

I SO want Stalkers to be battleline. I'd even take the terrible Vokmortian if I could get stalker battleline.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

I SO want Stalkers to be battleline. I'd even take the terrible Vokmortian if I could get stalker battleline.

Yeah, that would be very cool. I thought early on one of the reasons they didn't allow more battleline types was that it would throw off the balance too much. Low and behold our battleline is one of the strongest things in the book so it turns out an ability making Stalkers battleline probably would not have disrupted anything at all. 

10 minutes ago, Neffelo said:

Yeah, that would be very cool. I thought early on one of the reasons they didn't allow more battleline types was that it would throw off the balance too much. Low and behold our battleline is one of the strongest things in the book so it turns out an ability making Stalkers battleline probably would not have disrupted anything at all. 

Yeah. And not having them puts Mortek in a strange balance position. If they get a points increase it would throw off a lot of lists and wouldn't result in them being used less, just means that people have less points for other units (since we don't get much choice in BL). Having more battleline options would give GW more balancing freedom

Edited by NoMaDhOoK

5 hours ago, Obeisance said:

What was the exact size of each card? I found the card generator.

Hey mate. I had a psd that created the cards a lot larger than what they are when printed. I used word and a 3x3 table to resize them to the size they are so couldn’t tell you the physical size of them now unfortunately. 

I'm curious! Got a question...

What do you think of Arkhan? How valuable is he as a Hero for the bonereapers? Thinking about getting him! 

Think about this list: 

Arkhan 

Liege 

Mason  

3x 20 Guard 

Shield corps

(Last 400 points, either 6x stalkers or Crawlers) 

Please share your thoughts on this list and Arkhan! 🎲

Edited by Kimbo

11 hours ago, marke said:

So what does the most obnoxious, npe, tournament winning OBR list looks like right now? 

I was about to ask the same, although I would have probably verbalize it differently xD I have a tournament in February but have to send the list next week and I have no idea what to play yet, so I was thinking on looking for lists to play.

I think about the one on the previous post, mainly 3x20 mortek, Arkham Liege soulmason, and the shield corps. Not sure yet on the extra 400 if go with 6 stalkers (less drops and more focused on killing big thingsa and taking advantage of the extra atacks) or 2 crawlers (2 snipe heroes and units in objectives).

Is there a better option to go semi blind? I would test the list a lot before playing the tournament, but unfortunately I havent played much before sending the list and I havent figure out the most optimal list yet... Thanks!

1 hour ago, miguel_fernan said:

I was about to ask the same, although I would have probably verbalize it differently xD I have a tournament in February but have to send the list next week and I have no idea what to play yet, so I was thinking on looking for lists to play.

I think about the one on the previous post, mainly 3x20 mortek, Arkham Liege soulmason, and the shield corps. Not sure yet on the extra 400 if go with 6 stalkers (less drops and more focused on killing big thingsa and taking advantage of the extra atacks) or 2 crawlers (2 snipe heroes and units in objectives).

Is there a better option to go semi blind? I would test the list a lot before playing the tournament, but unfortunately I havent played much before sending the list and I havent figure out the most optimal list yet... Thanks!

I feel like Crawlers are gonna be the big thing until the FAQ drops. Maximum damage output is higher, has easier hit rolls, and the range. Just dump your shieldwalls on objectives and force opps to go near em. Then rain skulls. I love stalkers, but if we're talking tournament competition the crawler looks way better.

24 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

I feel like Crawlers are gonna be the big thing until the FAQ drops. Maximum damage output is higher, has easier hit rolls, and the range. Just dump your shieldwalls on objectives and force opps to go near em. Then rain skulls. I love stalkers, but if we're talking tournament competition the crawler looks way better.

The problem with crawlers is that you cannot leave them alone, if the enemy gets a unit within 3" they turn off. The other problem is that the guard move at 4 (7 with the CA) so getting on objectives turn 1 isn't guaranteed unless you also invest in fast units.

Basically, I think OBR is one of the best examples of balance since every unit is worth considering over another and every 2k list will have one or two weaknesses. I wish every book did this.

3 hours ago, Sedraxis said:

Basically, I think OBR is one of the best examples of balance since every unit is worth considering over another and every 2k list will have one or two weaknesses. I wish every book did this.

That is true, the units got a really healthy internal balancing. Even choices like swords / spears are actual choices. I just wish they do something about Petrifex Elite. They are just too strong and overshadow the other options.

Something a big different, but looking for pointers on painting Katakros.

I am in general following the Praetorians scheme pretty closely, but Katakros is a bit special.

I have him based in wraithbone and struggling with choosing how to proceed to get that white-ish look. I have been using apothecary white for most of my accents on the other bonereapers, like weapons hilts and shield trims with white highlights. I have considered doing the same for Katakros just for his whole body, but perhaps there is another way to make him stand out.

I have considered both thinned down nighthaunt gloom or Aethermatic blue for a wash and then highlight again after that, to get a blue tint to him. Anyone got any experience with techniques similar to this?

8 hours ago, miguel_fernan said:

mainly 3x20 mortek, Arkham Liege soulmason, and the shield corps. Not sure yet on the extra 400 if go with 6 stalkers (less drops and more focused on killing big thingsa and taking advantage of the extra atacks) or 2 crawlers (2 snipe heroes and units in objectives).

I think 3x20 Mortek will always be the competitive staple barring any abhorrent point increases. While I like Crawlers, I agree with many here in that they can be too easy to shut down, especially with the amount of teleports\deepstrikes\fast mover's you see in the tournament scene. We don't have Clanrats, Skinks, Marauders, etc... so screening the Crawlers is a more taxing use of what limited resources you have and those resources need to be on objectives.

Crawlers will either murder everything, or do nothing. Against anything with a high save it will do poorly against, but it's a very luck based unit (I've rolled all 1's, and re-rolled 2 of the 4 into 1's... other situations where my opponent made all 4 of the 6+ saves). Stalkers on the other hand have worked exceptionally well for me in a unit of 6 and will shred anything without mercy. Tournament lists work on consistency, and Stalkers are more consistent than Crawlers from my experience. Yeah, range and threat potential matter too, but I've found I use the Crawler less and less anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

I think 3x20 Mortek will always be the competitive staple barring any abhorrent point increases. While I like Crawlers, I agree with many here in that they can be too easy to shut down, especially with the amount of teleports\deepstrikes\fast mover's you see in the tournament scene. We don't have Clanrats, Skinks, Marauders, etc... so screening the Crawlers is a more taxing use of what limited resources you have and those resources need to be on objectives.

Crawlers will either murder everything, or do nothing. Against anything with a high save it will do poorly against, but it's a very luck based unit (I've rolled all 1's, and re-rolled 2 of the 4 into 1's... other situations where my opponent made all 4 of the 6+ saves). Stalkers on the other hand have worked exceptionally well for me in a unit of 6 and will shred anything without mercy. Tournament lists work on consistency, and Stalkers are more consistent than Crawlers from my experience. Yeah, range and threat potential matter too, but I've found I use the Crawler less and less anymore.

You've really sold me on stalkers so far, I think i'm going to take the arms/heads off the three immortis i've built and switch them over to stalkers so i can field a 1x6 unit. I've got katakros and another box of mortek on the way  too.  Can't wait to get my hands on them!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arcian said:

You've really sold me on stalkers so far, I think i'm going to take the arms/heads off the three immortis i've built and switch them over to stalkers so i can field a 1x6 unit. I've got katakros and another box of mortek on the way  too.  Can't wait to get my hands on them!

They haven't steered me wrong so far... a lot of tournament lists aren't taking them (usually 2 Crawlers) but I think it's more of a matter of time with meta shifts until that stops being predominant... could be wrong. I just let the Stalkers go off on their own and they do well enough with their 3+ save. Not to mention they can re-roll their charge rolls.. though you have to do it in the hero phase.

Note that the Falchions are statically worse if I recall.. and I really felt it the first time I used them as I didn't get the spell off and not having that +1 to hit pretty much killed them. Still in debate of whether or not I want to remodel the 2 I have with swords over the Falchions.

• Like 1

Just now, Gwendar said:

They haven't steered me wrong so far... a lot of tournament lists aren't taking them (usually 2 Crawlers) but I think it's more of a matter of time with meta shifts until that stops being predominant... could be wrong. I just let the Stalkers go off on their own and they do well enough with their 3+ save. Not to mention they can re-roll their charge rolls.. though you have to do it in the hero phase.

Note that the Falchions are statically worse if I recall.. and I really felt it the first time I used them as I didn't get the spell off and not having that +1 to hit pretty much killed them. Still in debate of whether or not I want to remodel the 2 I have with swords over the Falchions.

Yeah I remember the talks about not taking the falchions over the swords. I think my list i'm going with is pretty close (or exact) to one I think i saw you post awhile back.  Hopefully it works out for me too lol.  I'm also redoing my paint scheme, i saw one inspired by the Eternals of MTG and since I loved them in War of the Spark (from a looks perspective) probably going to copy that scheme idea too. Silver blue metallic bones are dope.

Katakros
Soulmason

3x20 Mortek Guard

1x6 Stalkers

Guard Batallion

Endless Spells

I think?

3 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@Arcian Yeah, pretty much what I'm doing. I've tried it without Katakros and did a Liege, 2 Boneshapers and a Soulmason but.. I was really missing the utility of Katakros and the extra spells didn't add up for me in comparison.

Yeah his buffs/debuffs plus the at least 5DP seem REALLY good. Do you go with an artifact on the mason, or just give him the godbone armor?  Was thinking the Gothizzar Cartouche for the mason.

Just curious.... I'm taking this list to throne of skulls next year and wondered what issues and positives people think I'll run into with it... aiming to some decent variety:

(Petrifex)

Liege kavalos - general, petrifex relic

Soulmason- spell tbc

Soulreaper - spell tbc 

Boneshaper - spell tbc

20 mortek  guard - swords

10 mortek guard - swords

5 kavalos deathriders - spears

4 morghast harbingers - halberds

Gothizzar harvester 

Catapault

Soulstealer carrion  spell

2000pts spot on

1 minute ago, Arcian said:

Yeah his buffs/debuffs plus the at least 5DP seem REALLY good. Do you go with an artifact on the mason, or just give him the godbone armor?  Was thinking the Gothizzar Cartouche for the mason.

When I run it with Katakros he has to take Godbone since he's my only unnamed hero, so nothing can be done there. Otherwise yeah, I'll give him the Cartouche.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

When I run it with Katakros he has to take Godbone since he's my only unnamed hero, so nothing can be done there. Otherwise yeah, I'll give him the Cartouche.

Ah right, forgot that's how it works. Oh well, the godbone isn't too bad at keeping the mason alive, since he has some nice buffs (or I suppose a spell he can take could be a debuff) and he can potentially cast more than two spells a turn.

• Like 1