AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

10 hours ago, Nasrod said:

I present this most boring list I've ever made for Age of Sigmar. Don't drop this against any salty opponents.

--

Petrifex Elite 

Katakros - 500

Mortisan Soulmason - 140
☆General, Mighty Archaeossian
•Soul Reservoir
¤Arcane Command

Mortisan Boneshaper - 130
•Godbone Armor
¤Reinforce Battle-Shields

Mortek Guard x 20 - 260
Mortek Guard x 20 - 260
Mortek Guard x 10 - 130

Crawler - 200
Crawler - 200

Mortek Shield-Corps - 120

Soulstealer Carrion - 20
Shrieker - 30

1990/2000, 5 Drops

--

Katakros: Positions in a way that he will be able to grant the Crawlers bonus attacks in turn 1 and 2. Does typical Katakros things turn 2+. 

Bonemason: Uses the Soul Reservoir to get Shrieker onto the field and rerolls Hits of 1 for the Crawlers. Farms RD points in midgame with Arcane Command.

Mortisan Boneshaper - Heals Katakros allowing him to regen 6 a turn. Uses Enhance Shields to boost survivability of Guard. Casts Carrion if it has nothing else to do.

2 Mortek Guard x 20 - Moves up to claim objectives.

Mortek Guard x 10 - If necessary, screens the Crawlers and Bonemason; usually will be stationed in a block on your home objective.

--

Generates a ton of RD but also uses a ton of RD in order to position everything, spam Guard rerollls, AND buffs from Katakros.

Godbone and Archaeossian are split across the two HQs to help mitigate mirror lists having the ability to instakill our leads with a single Crawler shot.

If Katakros isn't the general he only generates 2 RD points and can't use Supreme Lord of the Bonereaper Legions

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Klat said:

If Katakros isn't the general he only generates 2 RD points and can't use Supreme Lord of the Bonereaper Legions

Bah, knew I was missing something. Thankfully, the Soulmason has 6 wounds, so the Godbone Armor being on the Shaper is fine. I'll update the post to avoid confusing others. 

Edit: For those asking why Shrieker + Katakros

Katakros needs to be within 12 of the Crawlers and you likely want this to be the case for turn 1 and 2. Sometimes you can't do this, but in games where you need the extra shooting the Shrieker can drop on the other side. 

Against lists with things like Netters, Khailebron, etc. It is just an added bonus to get the two sources of +1 hit. But most of the time, it is just used to keep the aura up across the board. 

Edited by Nasrod

Played a 2k point list with some proxied models to see if I wanted to snag the 2nd Feast of Bones at our LGS. The list was

Vokmortian

Liege Kavalos

Boneshaper

20 Mortek

10 Mortek

10 Mortek

3 Stalker

3 Immortis

4 Morghast Archai

Vok's Retinue

--

Opposing list was a Stormcast shooty Heldenhammer list with a few mages, but no Meteor.

Long story short, I don't think I want to go this route, but 4 Archai with the Petrifex Elite bonus rend absolutely mulch things. Vokmortian trails behind accompanied by 3 Guard; you're now at 920 points for this deathball, which is a lot, but we were playing Border Wars. Ran this and 10 Guard up the right flank and just said hell with it, I'll race you to your objective while keeping 10 Guard and 3 Stalkers in the middle on my territory to prevent deep strike shenanigans. 

Lost the 10 Guard in middle and lost Boneshaper and 12 Guard on the left flank, but the Stalkers and Liege Kavalos abandoned the flank and crashed into his middle home objective on the top of 3 off a double turn while the Morghast moved from the right flank to the left to strike that middle shooting force from behind.

My left flank crumbled but poor stormcast movement meant he had no hope of pivoting over to my own home turf with his remaining Seq + Evos in time to make up for the fact he was losing his, so we called it there.

Messed up when I piled in with the Morghast and didn't get to res one. Almost lost a 2nd one, but even 3 strong they chunk things. Rend 3, (PE buff) amd flight... they aren't optimal but they aren't as bad as people claim, so long as you use terrain. 

Fun list but Petrifex Elite is just so unreal even with "non-optimal" choices. The army crumbles to shooting and magic but most lists are melee based so...yeah. I have a feeling Harvester + Mortek Crematorian is going to be its own flavor of annoying, but at least the opponent can remove models against them (Even if they still ultimately feel like they don't want to, lol)

If you had a choice between the Artisan Key and Gothizzar Cartouche, what would your pick? I'm also liking the Lode of Saturation.

Key is really solid, but it's only on a 4+. Cartouche is awesome, but it's not against Death and I think OBR area going to be popular. Lode is all around solid, but I think I prefer recursion 

Army for context: I'm currently painting this for a tournament in Jan.

Arkhan
Mortisan Boneshaper
- Artisan's Key
- Reinforce Shields
Mortisan Soulmason
- Mighty Archaeossian
- Godbone Armour
- Empower Weapons

20 x Mortek Guard: Blade
6 x Necropolis Stalkers: Swords

Mortek Shield-Corps 
Bone-Tithe Shrieker 
Nightmare Predator 

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 105
Drops: 4

@Obeisance Cartouche for sure.. it helps immensely and with already having Arkhan + Boneshaper I think you'll do well enough on healing. To be honest I find our healing more supplementary than something to be built upon (unless you're running 1-2 Harvesters) so that +1 to wound has been a better experience for me.

4 hours ago, Maxi99 said:

With all this chat around fights first with the winter faq, am I right in thinking that Shield Wall cannot be used until the enemy has fought first, if they have that ability of course!?

Why would that be the case? If they fight "at the start of the combat phase" because of an ability then I don't see why you couldn't still use Shieldwall is it also happens "at the start of the combat phase" and is a CA. To me, the FAQ tried to re-clarify a unit being made to fight last, but also made to fight first and the 2nd one applied is what sticks.

4 hours ago, Maxi99 said:

With all this chat around fights first with the winter faq, am I right in thinking that Shield Wall cannot be used until the enemy has fought first, if they have that ability of course!?

Doesn't Shield Wall say "You can use this command ability at the -start- of the combat phase"? So wouldn't you still be able to activate it even if they have some sort of fight first mechanic?

3 minutes ago, Arcian said:

Doesn't Shield Wall say "You can use this command ability at the -start- of the combat phase"? So wouldn't you still be able to activate it even if they have some sort of fight first mechanic?

Seems from this article if its your opponents turn, he is able to use his "fights at the start of the combat phase" and roll dices before you will be able to use a shield wall. On your turn you will be able to shield wall yourself before his attacks

Spoiler

image.png.b38e9bf812cd34e2c9cc5991042e7f42.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arcian said:

14 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Why would that be the case? If they fight "at the start of the combat phase" because of an ability then I don't see why you couldn't still use Shieldwall is it also happens "at the start of the combat phase" and is a CA. To me, the FAQ tried to re-clarify a unit being made to fight last, but also made to fight first and the 2nd one applied is what sticks.

So in the bonereapers players turn yes they can use it. However in the opposing players turn they resolve all of their actions at the start of the phase first, before shield wall can be activated.

It can still be used but not against that unit was what I was meaning to say.

1 minute ago, Maxi99 said:

So in the bonereapers players turn yes they can use it. However in the opposing players turn they resolve all of their actions at the start of the phase first, before shield wall can be activated.

I just saw the image in question and... oof if that's how it plays out that'll be rough going against Fights First armies. Like they needed any more help 🙄

1 minute ago, Maxi99 said:

Yeah, based on that article I get what you're saying.. that kind of sucks, but ah well. The 3+ save is still potentially decent enough to hold against something scary.

2 hours ago, alterdeqip said:

Btw are there any thoughts how to increase the Mortek Crawlers firepower?  I mean are there any ways of dealing needed amount of damage to it ( except endless spells ) , so special shots will become greater? 

Aside from giving it +1 to hit, RR 1's to hit and +1 attack then no. If you want to hurt it then throw an endless spell like Pendulum at it to damage it I guess? Don't know that it would be worth it really.

Edited by Gwendar

56 minutes ago, alterdeqip said:

Btw are there any thoughts how to increase the Mortek Crawlers firepower?  I mean are there any ways of dealing needed amount of damage to it ( except endless spells ) , so special shots will become greater? 

Place it on, in, or around damned terrain for them sweet re-rolls.

"Damned: At the start of your hero phase, you can pick one friendly unit within 1" of a Damned terrain feature to make a sacrifice. If you do so, that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds, but you can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for it until your next hero phase."

So I have two army lists i'm sort of toying around with, based on what I currently have. I am thinking of grabbing Katakros/ another box of guard soon though. 

Arkhan
Liege Kavalos
Soulmason

20 Mortek Guards
20 Mortek Guards
5 Deathriders

Harvester
Harvester
Crawler

OR

Arkhan
Boneshaper
Soulmason

20 Mortek Guards
20 Mortek Guards
5 Deathriders

Harvester (could maybe swap out one for immortis guard?)
Harvester
Crawler

Bone-tithe shrieker
Nightmare Predator

Thoughts? 

Mortek Guard would only not be able to use their Shield Wall if it was your opponents turn and they had an ability that lets a unit fight "at the start of the combat phase." When most people are talking activation wars and "fights first" you're either making your opponent fight last or your unit "fights first before all others". I cant think of anything that fights "at the start of the combat phase" so we should be able to use our Shield Wall even if the opponent "fights first" or we "fight last after all eligible choices".

Am I wrong?

• Like 1

@Bryan I Guess One example is Savage Strike in Gristlegore FeC. That allows the general to specifically fight at the 'start of the combat phase before any others fight' if I recall as a former FeC player. I believe there are actually a decent amount of other examples of this, but yeah... a lot are just 'fight first'.

I was thinking of other ways to run Ossiarchs, and I think this is a rather interesting and fun list, if probably the not the most powerful. The basic idea behind it is that Arkhan flies around the battlefield, throwing Protection of Nagash on himself, and then buffing up the Deathriders or debuffing the enemy with Mortal Contract or Drain Vitality. Very low DP generation, but the main objective is to give the Stalkers the speed buff and help buff the Stalkers. This list is based all around speeding up the field,  capping the objectives, and then holding the enemy in place, as Arkhan can bring 3 Deathriders back a turn. The real weakness is a lack of bodies, and the possibility that Arkhan could get sniped, but so long as he has Protection, I don't think he would be in too much danger. But unless the enemy has lots of ASF units, the Stalkers and Morghasts should be able to brutalize pretty much everything, with the Soulmason trucking along in the back.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Stalliarch Lords

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Trait: Twisted Challenge
- Artefact: Nadir-bound Mount
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- Artefact: Gothizzar Cartouche
- Lore of Mortisans: Arcane Command

Battleline
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield

Units
2 x Morghast Harbingers (210)
- Spirit Swords
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (200)
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (200)

Battalions
Katakrosian Deathglaive (80)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
Nightmare Predator (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 104

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 3:29 AM, Nasrod said:

Played a 2k point list with some proxied models to see if I wanted to snag the 2nd Feast of Bones at our LGS. The list was

Vokmortian

Liege Kavalos

Boneshaper

20 Mortek

10 Mortek

10 Mortek

3 Stalker

3 Immortis

4 Morghast Archai

Vok's Retinue 

Isnt Vok's Retinue only with Stalkers, and not Immortis? 

24 minutes ago, Heijoshin said:

Isnt Vok's Retinue only with Stalkers, and not Immortis? 

Correct. But Stalkers with 1" range make me hesitant to run packs of 6. So the extra 3 from the Box I was possibly going to pick up were going to become Immortis Guard no matter what, simply for unit variety's sake. 

Even so, with Stalkers in the middle, 4 Morghast on theright, and 20 Guard + Boneshaper + Kavalos down the left, the Immortis Guard and 10 Mortek on the right screening Vok and preventing deepstrikes behind him just turned him into a massive block of "Not even worth shooting."

Since Vok has to be within 8" to return a Morghast, chances are he will be in danger, hence the Guard feeling necessary. Right now I'm mostly trying to experiment with non min maxed list... my army interests since starting were Daughters of Khaine --> Nighthaunt --> Slaanesh --> Idoneth --> Ossiarch.

Needless to say some opponents suspect nefarious interests lol.