AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

1 hour ago, Clewz said:

Does anyone use Katakros at all? If so any tactics you would recommend?

I love using him in PE as he's just a giant, 20 wound 2+ save (from his own CA) support piece. With him and a Soulmason, you can still get in 60 Mortek Guard, the battalion, 2 specialized units and endless spells. Not to mention he gives you 5 RDP which is what I think is what most lists need to aim for at a minimum.

I tend to just keep him centralized to maximize that 36" bubble and provide healing.. but I find that he isn't worth getting into combat unless I need something tied up or he's only got a few wounds remaining (at which point he's mostly lost his buffs\36" aura range). Note that he works quite well on Battleplans were hero's control the objectives or count as X models.

Edited by Gwendar

So, awhile back I won a Magewrath Throne as part of an escalation league I did with my FeC. This weekend I finally put it in use:
79706580_2635929859795871_1413072226390900736_o.jpg.3558b260510f806978f2539ef6f5f113.jpg

I originally had the sword unsheathed and held outward (the normal pose per the instructions) and had no spirit hosts, but decided to redo it this way and I gotta say I prefer it a lot more to the original. I doubt I'll ever take Nagash for a competitive build, but definitely think I'll use him for some casual games.

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

I think a lot of it is that you’re investing nearly half your army in one model when the faction already struggles a bit with board control- Nagash is undeniably powerful but I think bringing him is putting a lot of eggs in one basket which might make people hesitate 

New FAQs are rolling out right now. Just checked the german site and they uploaded the italian version... the usual hickups shortly before they release everything at the same time. The only change for Bonereapers was to include "untill the end of the phase" for Arch-Kavalos Zandtos' command ability.

I can totally see some pleasant players using it once and keeping it for the rest of the game. 😂

zand.JPG

Edited by The_Dudemeister

Arkhan's good, but expensive and fragile.  Given his weaknesses, you'd like to be able to at least deploy him next to a unit of immortis so that he can have some protection if a shooty opponent gets first turn before you're able to get protection of nagash up.  However, the fact that he's so expensive, combined with immortis being kind of pricey and not super efficient means that you may not be able to justify it.

If you're taking him, I'd say you still want at least one other caster.  Arkhan wants to be casting protection of nagash, drain vitality, and one cast left that you can use as needed for a buff, endless spell, realm spell, or curse of years.  Secondary caster should be casting arcane command to make up the RD deficit of fielding arkhan in the first place.  If you don't field another caster then arkhan will probably need to cast arcane command as well, which he can certainly do, but then you don't have an open slot to respond to the needs of the moment, and arcane command is an easy spell to cast anyway, unless you're worried about unbinding arkhan's bonuses are kind of going to waste there.  Personally I like to pair Arkhan with a soulmason as you get even more casts that way, and arkhan's revival abilities mean the need for a boneshaper isn't as pressing, and they have similar taste in fancy hats.  But honestly any of the casters go well with him.

Ideally you want to field him in Petrifex.  Yes, Null Myriad is his legion, and yes his healing abilities are theoretically well suited to crematorians, but you want to have access to an offensive command ability option when you need to concentrate damage output.  Petrifex have such an ability by default, but other legions need to field a liege kavalos for that, and that's another rather expensive HQ that will be hard to fit along with arkan and a secondary caster.  Not impossible, but you're really eating into your points if you go that way.  After battleline you won't have much left for fun units & behemoths.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ArgyBargy said:

I still dont understand why no one rates Nagash in competitive play. He’s won me games whenever I’ve used him and has been missed when I left him at home. 

I would never take him for tournament play simply because any competent player can easily bring him down quickly even in PE... and being nearly half your points that hurts especially bad in OBR. You're also only getting 1 RDP and maybe getting 4-6 rolls on top of that, not counting Arcane Command... but still. In those builds its Nagash that has all the power and I really think OBR does a lot better with the other hero's generating more RDP + buffs and letting things like Mortek, Stalkers, etc do all the work. Therefore I would consider it more of a fun build. Not to say it can't be used competitively, but I have plenty of other lists that would do far better in that contex and none of them have Nagash (or Arkhan for that matter).

30 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I would never take him for tournament play simply because any competent player can easily bring him down quickly even in PE... and being nearly half your points that hurts especially bad in OBR. You're also only getting 1 RDP and maybe getting 4-6 rolls on top of that, not counting Arcane Command... but still. In those builds its Nagash that has all the power and I really think OBR does a lot better with the other hero's generating more RDP + buffs and letting things like Mortek, Stalkers, etc do all the work. Therefore I would consider it more of a fun build. Not to say it can't be used competitively, but I have plenty of other lists that would do far better in that contex and none of them have Nagash (or Arkhan for that matter).

Does it seem like Katakros is what people are taking if they want a big hero?

Just now, Arcian said:

Does it seem like Katakros is what people are taking if they want a big hero?

Yeah, I even see some taking Kata + Arkhan but I find that leaves you with a strange 100-120ish points deficit where you can't include anything else really.

Personally I swap between Katakros + Soulmason +Liege Kavalos\Boneshaper or Liege Kavalos + Soulmason + 2 Boneshapers and both work out well.. but I prefer Katakros a lot of the time simply for his massive utility and 5 RDP. It's really more of a "do you want everything else in your army to be pulling weight or do you want Nagash to pull the weight?" in my opinion.. and I'm seldom a fan of having all eggs in 1 basket.

1 minute ago, Gwendar said:

Yeah, I even see some taking Kata + Arkhan but I find that leaves you with a strange 100-120ish points deficit where you can't include anything else really.

Personally I swap between Katakros + Soulmason +Liege Kavalos\Boneshaper or Liege Kavalos + Soulmason + 2 Boneshapers and both work out well.. but I prefer Katakros a lot of the time simply for his massive utility and 5 RDP. It's really more of a "do you want everything else in your army to be pulling weight or do you want Nagash to pull the weight?" in my opinion.. and I'm seldom a fan of having all eggs in 1 basket.

Hmmm I already have Arkhan so i've been trying to make him work (but haven't had a chance to play much 2k games haha) but i've been heavily thinking of picking up Katakros soon. I'm not even so sure if the list i'm running at 2k is all that hot with Arkhan

7 minutes ago, Arcian said:

Hmmm I already have Arkhan so i've been trying to make him work (but haven't had a chance to play much 2k games haha) but i've been heavily thinking of picking up Katakros soon. I'm not even so sure if the list i'm running at 2k is all that hot with Arkhan

I haven't tried using Arkhan yet but.. I guess I just don't find him that useful in the army as a whole. I think I'll reserve full judgement on Arkhan once I play some games with him. Katakros is a definite great pick.

45 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I haven't tried using Arkhan yet but.. I guess I just don't find him that useful in the army as a whole. I think I'll reserve full judgement on Arkhan once I play some games with him. Katakros is a definite great pick.

Weather or not he is useful I suspect depends on how magic heavy your local meta is. Three +2 unbinds can mess with a lot of armies. 

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Weather or not he is useful I suspect depends on how magic heavy your local meta is. Three +2 unbinds can mess with a lot of armies. 

Edited by Jaxler

@Jaxler It isn't largely aside from some utility casting (we had 1 tzeentch player but he's currently taking a break), but it is filled with a lot of hyper aggressive T1 charging armies with high rend\damage and some have started to run a lot of CoS shooting. That stuff can put an end to him a lot quicker than most seem to think. Not to say all of that stuff can't pop our other hero's just as easily, but he's a bigger target for most.

It's the same reason I hesitate to take Nagash in anything but a more casual list.

Edited by Gwendar

31 minutes ago, Jaxler said:

My local players are Skaven/Legions of Nagash, Fyreslayers, Slyvaneth, Stormcast, Mawtribes, FEC, and CoS. So, it might be pretty good to unbind a lot of spells haha.

On 12/13/2019 at 4:15 PM, Sception said:

As it is, with the lance you're actually over by 20 points,

I hear a rumour* that Arkhan is back to 340 so this would be "fine":

Allegiance: Death
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
40 x Mortek Guard (440)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Kavalos Lance (120)

Total: 2020 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 117

I'm happy to test that out I think :)

* We'll see when the great FAQ flawed rollout is complete

• Like 1

I present this most boring list I've ever made for Age of Sigmar. Don't drop this against any salty opponents.

--

Petrifex Elite 

Katakros - 500
☆General

Mortisan Soulmason - 140
•Soul Reservoir
¤Arcane Command

Mortisan Boneshaper - 130
•Godbone Armor
¤Reinforce Battle-Shields

Mortek Guard x 20 - 260
Mortek Guard x 20 - 260
Mortek Guard x 10 - 130

Crawler - 200
Crawler - 200

Mortek Shield-Corps - 120

Soulstealer Carrion - 20
Shrieker - 30

1990/2000, 5 Drops

--

Katakros: Positions in a way that he will be able to grant the Crawlers bonus attacks in turn 1 and 2. Does typical Katakros things turn 2+. 

Bonemason: Uses the Soul Reservoir to get Shrieker onto the field and rerolls Hits of 1 for the Crawlers. Farms RD points in midgame with Arcane Command.

Mortisan Boneshaper - Heals Katakros allowing him to regen 6 a turn. Uses Enhance Shields to boost survivability of Guard. Casts Carrion if it has nothing else to do.

2 Mortek Guard x 20 - Moves up to claim objectives.

Mortek Guard x 10 - If necessary, screens the Crawlers and Bonemason; usually will be stationed in a block on your home objective.

--

Generates a ton of RD but also uses a ton of RD in order to position everything, spam Guard rerollls, AND buffs from Katakros.

Godbone Armor goes on the Shaper to make sure both of the HQs aren't able to be one shot in the mirror by Crawlers.

Edited by Nasrod
Katakros needs to be General. Updating list.

Why the shrieker and Katakros? Seems like you're doubling up on +1 to hit?

Other than that seems solid, I've been using 40/20/20 Guard with 2 crawlers Katakros and Soulmason and been very strong, I like you managing to get the Soul Reservoir in but I feel moving from a 40 right down to a 10 to get those extras might not be worth it.

Love the suggestion on splitting Godbone and Archaeossian, I'd never considered that but a great shout in the mirror

Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, StokieRich said:

Why the shrieker and Katakros? Seems like you're doubling up on +1 to hit?

Other than that seems solid, I've been using 40/20/20 Guard with 2 crawlers Katakros and Soulmason and been very strong, I like you managing to get the Soul Reservoir in but I feel moving from a 40 right down to a 10 to get those extras might not be worth it.

Love the suggestion on splitting Godbone and Archaeossian, I'd never considered that but a great shout in the mirror

Thanks for sharing!

Counter look out sir hit penalty and negative to hit modifiers that are popping up I’d guess.

FEC, Orruks, DoK can all get -1 to hit in some way, making characters -2. Suspect there are others I’m forgetting.