AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

7 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@Blitzd Appreciate the write up. With your new list, do you think losing that +1 to hit from the Shrieker is worth gaining 5 more Deathriders? I feel like that combined with the Soulmasons RR1's is too good to pass up to get everything hitting on 2's\RR1's.. especially with the Crawler as it counters Look Out, Sir. 

Honestly, the shrieker barely came in to play. I didn't see much combat, I was mostly just focused on the objective game, so right now, I'm not really losing anything by dropping it

• Like 1

Does anyone have any or seen any recommendations, styles or themes for speed painting these bois? I'm not gonna lie, as much as I wanted to have the perfect scheme, I know it's going to take me ages to get them all painted. So something simple, easy yet nice would be really great. 

I'm thinking along the lines of the "stonecast" theme when I mean "simple, easy yet nice" or the ghost army style (and others) that you see on the "citadel colour: Concept" playlist on the Warhammer TV Youtube. Something simple and that I can probably do by drybrushing mostly. 

Edited by Heijoshin

12 minutes ago, Heijoshin said:

Does anyone have any recommendations, styles or themes for speed painting these bois? I'm not gonna lie, as much as I wanted to have the perfect scheme for these guys, I know it's going to take me ages to get them all painted, and so something simply, yet nice would be really great. 

I'm thinking in the direction of the "stonecast" theme that you see often or the ghost army style (and others) that you see on the "citadel colour: Concept" playlist on the Warhammer TV Youtube. Something simple and that I can probably do by drybrushing mostly. 

Well these models take really well to contrast paints. I am "just" using skeleton horde as my base and love using it, as well as wyldwood/snakebite/gore grunta fur, to quickly do leather straps, weapon handles, shield wood and also claws, fangs and "darker bone". I am doing it lower than needed, just to drybrush and highlight a bit more and also doing the armor plates in regular paint.

I use Nihilak Oxide a lot as well, and it is an efficient way to ghostly look, especially with a drybrush on top to lighten it up a bit after a heavy coat, you can even add some blue or green to the mix with some white for this drybrush/hightlight.

For a stone look Basilicanum grey looks quite good I think and a forgiving color to work with and give a drybrush finish if you want. You could go for the petrifex scheme quite easily from there, with reds and blacks which cover easily.

I guess the short of it is to use contrast paints if you want to get these guy done quicker, they take to it really well and wraithbone base works really great with both contrast and regular paint, including nihilak oxide for ghostly effects.

9 hours ago, Heijoshin said:

Does anyone have any or seen any recommendations, styles or themes for speed painting these bois? I'm not gonna lie, as much as I wanted to have the perfect scheme, I know it's going to take me ages to get them all painted. So something simple, easy yet nice would be really great. 

I'm thinking along the lines of the "stonecast" theme when I mean "simple, easy yet nice" or the ghost army style (and others) that you see on the "citadel colour: Concept" playlist on the Warhammer TV Youtube. Something simple and that I can probably do by drybrushing mostly. 

All the people I know who are speed painting them are going contrast for the bone and then smashing out the shields and weapons with a quick basecoat of whatever colour you want (people are usually doing blue on the shields, bronze or gold for the metal) and then one quick edge highlight.  All of the effort is in the edge highlighting and you can easily smash out blocks of 10 quickly.

The more intricate models (like Nagash) they have some special techniques for the black but I can't exactly remember the steps right now.

So you want good looking models, but don't want to do anything about it? :D

I mean, what's the hurry? Take your time. Most of you probably have other armies to play with. You won't regret painting your army well, but you'll almost certainly regret painting it bad.

I know people are looking for instant gratification these days, and it shows even in our hobby, but it's sometimes good to have a bit of patience and honest work. 

• Like 1

@Heijoshin I've just recently started a blog on this site to share my painting of the army. It probably won't go for as much speed as you are seeking, but I really am making a focused effort to go as quickly as I can since I'll be painting at least 10K. 

There's not much to see yet (waiting for my bases to arrive), but you can see a few ideas so far.

• Like 3

@Scurvydog Thanks for the tips! This is really helpful. I thought about going for the skeleton horde bone look, with some Bronze for the rims and a greenish tinge for the shield. How do you find the Nihilak Oxide? I thought about throwing some onto the bronze as a kinda of wash to dim it down a little and have a weathered effect. Are you using it solely for the ghostly look of the bones, or also to weather the weapons and others etc? 

@Death1942 I've been seeing the "contrast and shield & edge" style a lot as well. It does seem that contrast paints are probably the quickest way to go about it and to get stuff on the board as quickly as possible. The army as a whole has something about it that makes it as simple or as detailed as you want it. There is always some tiny detail that you can paint different, if you want.

@Sleboda Fantastic blog! My initial idea is a kind of mix between the left and middle models in this image of yours: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/tgacommunity/monthly_2019_11/20191119_104823.jpg.0e81d7c7e1d54e10a48dbc72e2052578.jpg

With the darker green and more bronze in the middle, but most likely the bone colour of the left. Although I am undecided exactly what the bone colour might be. I do also like the greyish stone look of the middle. How did you get that effect? 

I'm excited to see your progress and look forward to seeing more! 

9 hours ago, marke said:

So you want good looking models, but don't want to do anything about it? :D

I mean, what's the hurry? Take your time. Most of you probably have other armies to play with. You won't regret painting your army well, but you'll almost certainly regret painting it bad.

I know people are looking for instant gratification these days, and it shows even in our hobby, but it's sometimes good to have a bit of patience and honest work. 

I know you are probably trying to say "hey, take your time and enjoy the ride!", and it is important to remember that, but the way this is written isn't helpful. Where did I say I wasn't doing anything about it? Clearly I am because I am asking for advice. What is dishonest about wanting to do it quickly? If I am more of a player rather than a hobbyist? Why is it impatient of me to want to reduce the time I spend on the aspect that isn't as enjoyable as the other part? Also speed =/= bad. Vince Venturella painted 2k of Ogors in 24 hours. Does that make it bad? Only because I want it done quick doesn't mean I am going to splash on the paint like madman with a crayon. 

It seems like the hobby part is something important to you, which is great. All the best to you. I just prefer to play the game. Of course having something nice and painted is great, but like I said in my original post about it, I know myself and I know it's going to take me ages. I don't have a lot of time to do it, I don't have a dedicated place, so I have to take things out, put them back, move this, move that. I know the best solution for me is to make this as efficient as possible, so I save time and can spend more time playing, cos that is what is important to me. 

Edited by Heijoshin

6 hours ago, Heijoshin said:

I do also like the greyish stone look of the middle. How did you get that effect? 

It's Grey Seer primer,Space Wolf Grey contrast, Grey Seer dry brush, white db. 

I really liked trying a super white-ish bone, but in the end I just liked the warmer tones better.

I can't wait for my bases to get here!!! I'll be able to rip these guys off their bases and give them new permanent homes.

15748717827622802771021050555091.jpg

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I really liked trying a super white-ish bone, but in the end I just liked the warmer tones better.

I can't wait for my bases to get here!!! I'll be able to rip these guys off their bases and give them new permanent homes.

If i may ask, what kind of base did you go with?

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

15748717827622802771021050555091.jpg

Keep painting. That way I can enjoy my colour scheme by proxy until I get to mine. :D

11 hours ago, Arcian said:

If i may ask, what kind of base did you go with?

They are from Dragonforge. The owner is a great hobbyist who has been sculpting for decades. I've used his bases before and was pleased.

There are a few sizes missing in the range I selected, and Jeff (the owner) told me he would sculpt up the needed ones. That's service! I encourage folks to check out his stuff.

http://dragonforge.com/Painting service/for sale/base_sets/sci-fi/occult-7 apocalypse.htm

15 hours ago, Sleboda said:

*picture*

I have to say these look great! Bases are another thing I will consider. I typically glue my guys on first, but perhaps I will get the bases sorted before I put them on. 

And thanks for the bone tutorial! This one seems nice and easy also. It's really hard to decide to be honest! I always suffer from analysis paralysis, which is probably another reason it takes me ages to get stuff done. 

1 minute ago, ChrisNoAnts said:

Guys, just to make sure I am getting this right. There is no limit on how often I can use a command ability unless it is specifically restricted. So as an example, if I spend 5 CP a single Boneshaper could bring back 15 Mortek Guard in a single phase.

Correct?

Absolutely not, Boneshaper doesnt have Command ability.

4 hours ago, ChrisNoAnts said:

So it makes sense to have multiple Boneshapers, right?

I mean.. I suppose but I would never look at having more than 2. If you want healing it generally seems best practice to bring Katakros\Arkhan and then maybe a Boneshaper on top of that. If you aren't running either of those, by all means I would say run multiple and maybe even throw in a Harvester.

@Heijoshin I decided to go the contrast route as an experiment and it is going pretty quickly.  I wanted someth8ng to match my Nagash, which was painted along Duncan’s video.  

Prime Wraithbone, wash Skeleton Horde, drybrush Screaming Skull.  Armor is Shyish Purple highlighted with Russ Grey and Fenrisian Grey, then washed Druchii Violet.  Swords are Terradon Turquoise highlighted with Temple Guard Blue.  Robes are Incubi Darkness and Ulthuan Grey, blended with Coelia Greenshade, then highlighted.  The eyes get a couple coats of Waywatcher Green and the gems are Incubi Darkness highlighted up to Gauss Blaster Green.

The squad took a few hours throughout the week.  I was able to get through Feast of Bones in two weeks with only a few hours available each week.  I would say for speed, contrast is the way to go for this army.  It’s easy to add the highlights you want.

D4C62D11-3A0B-49F9-876E-4331987C0643.jpeg

• Like 4

Well, decided against the terracotta theme with jade.. really couldn't find a reddish brown I was happy with to compliment. Anyway, here's my first test model of the new scheme; blackened steel, gold, ethereal(ish) green swords and cloth.

Still trying to think of a color for the cloaks on Katakros and his entourage along with the Liege.. I feel like more green on top of green loincloths + banners would be too much. Maybe a light ethereal purple/pink? also, yeah, the black is drybrushed with necron compound but I know it doesn't translate well to pictures.

IMG_20191128_105316.jpg.c2aa3f9ecae4a6657d606834116d7106.jpg

IMG_20191128_105329.jpg.af8e0ad11f182df206e041b7f55da07d.jpg

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 10:54 AM, Heijoshin said:

@Scurvydog Thanks for the tips! This is really helpful. I thought about going for the skeleton horde bone look, with some Bronze for the rims and a greenish tinge for the shield. How do you find the Nihilak Oxide? I thought about throwing some onto the bronze as a kinda of wash to dim it down a little and have a weathered effect. Are you using it solely for the ghostly look of the bones, or also to weather the weapons and others etc? 

The oxide can be used from the pot on any ghostly part, in fact I'd recommend doing that and then a drybrush/highlight, if you want a tinge to it, you can mix something into that highlight like green for example with some hexwraith flame or any other green paint really.

For weathering you can use oxide, but you might want to mix it with some medium, 50/50 if on top of a metallic I think. If you are going for a more ancient and worn look you can use typhus corrosion first which adds texture as well, and then use the oxide mix, which will then dig into the texture and improve the effect as a fast and efficient method.

I painted up this squad as a proof of concept, checking if I'd be willing to paint up 2500 points of these guys. Cutting a lot of corners, I now feel like I can do it. Its a whole lot of drybrushing and I avoided the different hues of bone colors that are on the box art. I really like them right now, even though the whole paintjob turned out darker than I expected. 

Bonereaper.jpg

• Like 7

Finally I've finished the review about the Battletome Ossiarch Bonreapers, and I sued also the time  to fuse it with the FAQs.
I have been unlucky with this army, everything related to such army is being delayed to me ahaahah^^

Anyway I've created also a little song , if someone is daring enougg to hear it in the middle of the review.

Ah... if you are interested in the FAQs I have also the ones separately^^

Played against a Praetorians army yesterday with my Petrifex Elite. 

Won the objective game but he did not lose a single unit. I did because I sacrificed my riders and my liege to delay him - which worked out perfectly. 

So as I already suspected, a Praetorians army with Katakros is just as hard to kill as Petrifex while easily out CPing any other Legion and having pretty solid debuffs.

In the end Arkhan won me the game by being mobile and using protection of nagash perfectly to grab an objective on a far, unguarded side of the board.

I will probably stick to Petrifex because I prefer Arkhan over Katakros but I can imagine competitive Praetorians builds with Katakros, Zandtos and some Crawlers.

25 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Played against a Praetorians army yesterday with my Petrifex Elite. 

Won the objective game but he did not lose a single unit. I did because I sacrificed my riders and my liege to delay him - which worked out perfectly. 

So as I already suspected, a Praetorians army with Katakros is just as hard to kill as Petrifex while easily out CPing any other Legion and having pretty solid debuffs.

In the end Arkhan won me the game by being mobile and using protection of nagash perfectly to grab an objective on a far, unguarded side of the board.

I will probably stick to Petrifex because I prefer Arkhan over Katakros but I can imagine competitive Praetorians builds with Katakros, Zandtos and some Crawlers.

I don't understand the argument sorry. Why not just run katakros in petrefex? There's no advantage at all to him in praetorians. 

Am I missing something? The only legion specific thing I can see is Zandtos ability. (the bits you miss from katakros neither your petrefex units nor him miss out on. 

Rich

On 11/29/2019 at 8:09 AM, ChrisNoAnts said:

I painted up this squad as a proof of concept, checking if I'd be willing to paint up 2500 points of these guys. Cutting a lot of corners, I now feel like I can do it. Its a whole lot of drybrushing and I avoided the different hues of bone colors that are on the box art. I really like them right now, even though the whole paintjob turned out darker than I expected. 

Bonereaper.jpg

I like them!

Also, I agree on the skipping of two-tone bone. It's a nice way to break up the model, but not needed if you do a nice job overall on the models, as you have.

4 hours ago, StokieRich said:

I don't understand the argument sorry. Why not just run katakros in petrefex? There's no advantage at all to him in praetorians. 

Am I missing something? The only legion specific thing I can see is Zandtos ability. (the bits you miss from katakros neither your petrefex units nor him miss out on. 

Rich

So you dont see the value of rerolling all wounds against chaos in a slaanesh heavy meta? 

Edited by Phasteon