AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

Question to anyone who has painted a Crematorians paint scheme or similar with colors in the crevices:

How difficult is it to get all the crevices per model? Is it annoying and/or difficult? Is it worth it?

For reference I would consider myself an average skill painter. I know to thin paints, I can do edge highlighting, drybrushing, and blending effectively, and I get middle of the road painting scores at local tournaments. 

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Anyone have new thoughts on Immortis after some potential playtime? I recall there being some comparison discussion previously between them and Stalkers for damage\defense but.. I can't shake the idea of running 1x6 of them in a particular list I'm theory-crafting.

Depending on your RDP availability and how dedicated you are to obliterating a unit, you could be looking at getting 18 Halberd attacks on 2(rr1's)\3\-3\2 damage and another 18 Shield attacks on 3(rr1's)\3\-1\1 damage with a chance at MW's... and spend another RDP to hit with the Shields again. I dunno, I just feel we may be sleeping on them in certain setups as Petrifex is giving them the above and a 2+ save on top of still being an additional FNP to a Hero if needed. Curious on others thoughts as the simple mathhammer damage seems great. And yeah, I suppose you could just take more Guard and get a similar effect, but I'm sure someone could break down that comparison further.

The only problem I have with everything except the Crawlers is they need to get to combat to become effective while the Crawler does its damage from t1 and the core is imo mostly set on mortek and deathriders. 

From that perspective Immortis are the only other unit that can compete as they prevent your heroes from dying to alphastrike lists t1. Someone mentioned that its not worth 200 points to keep a boneshaper alive when you just could have brought another one but its worth to keep Arkhan, your Liege and your Soulmason with +1 wound artifact alive. 

Edit. Ok and probably the Harvester in the same manner as they can keep Mortek Guard alive i guess, but then again why wouldnt you just kill the Harvester first when its just a 10 wound model. 

Edited by Phasteon
missed an information
  • Like 1

Thinking about starting this army next year after my Nighthaunts. Reading their battletome it looks like the Null-Myriad looks ironically enough to be a nice counter to Nagash/Arkhan lists, with the 5+ (2+ with a CP) save against spells and the Baleful Blade. Anyone thought about using this allegiance ?

Just now, Aaranis said:

Thinking about starting this army next year after my Nighthaunts. Reading their battletome it looks like the Null-Myriad looks ironically enough to be a nice counter to Nagash/Arkhan lists, with the 5+ (2+ with a CP) save against spells and the Baleful Blade. Anyone thought about using this allegiance ?

Got triggered by the fact that its Arkhan‘s personal Legion, but i dont like the color scheme and the trait/ca. Its OP in some very rare match ups, ok in most match ups and completely useless in others. While the artifact is easily the best out of all the sub-factions its not enough to make we want to play it. I‘d rather write my own background and use petrifex ruleswise on the table

@Aaranis I'm thinking of going with it as I ended up going with a black and purple scheme.

In game terms the anti-magic stuff seems nice although obviously better or worse against some match ups. 

I don't have a problem with that fluffwise as if I am playing a magically resistant subfaction there will be times 'IRL' where they run into an enemy that isn't vulnerable to their tricks, forcing them to adapt and overcome.  

10 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

Question to anyone who has painted a Crematorians paint scheme or similar with colors in the crevices:

How difficult is it to get all the crevices per model? Is it annoying and/or difficult? Is it worth it?

For reference I would consider myself an average skill painter. I know to thin paints, I can do edge highlighting, drybrushing, and blending effectively, and I get middle of the road painting scores at local tournaments. 

I didn't find it particularly hard

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

It’s really not too hard, I went for a more glowing blue rather than something fiery, but all you need to do is really water down the paint and it just drops in the details. Since the details are really clear it makes it a lot easier!

This guy was done by first dropping white in and then blue over the top making sure you can still see a little of the white but not being too particular about it. 

13A94C0A-7473-482F-B8FC-748D90B79316.jpeg

• Like 8

Hi guys, looking for some advice on paint scheme, thinking bone for bone and black with green tinge/highlights for the armor, but i dont know if that will mesh, or what colour to do spirityness in that case. any advice?

Edited by Izikail

17 hours ago, Phasteon said:

The only problem I have with everything except the Crawlers is they need to get to combat to become effective while the Crawler does its damage from t1 and the core is imo mostly set on mortek and deathriders. 

From that perspective Immortis are the only other unit that can compete as they prevent your heroes from dying to alphastrike lists t1. Someone mentioned that its not worth 200 points to keep a boneshaper alive when you just could have brought another one but its worth to keep Arkhan, your Liege and your Soulmason with +1 wound artifact alive. 

Edit. Ok and probably the Harvester in the same manner as they can keep Mortek Guard alive i guess, but then again why wouldnt you just kill the Harvester first when its just a 10 wound model. 

True, after finally playing I can see that when it comes to CC, generally my Mortek Guard can handle it (+1 hit, +1 rend, RR1's to hit, +1 attack...) and still be hyper defensive. So yeah, as great as they are, I've started to see more Guard or a Crawler\Harvester just being the better option?

Speaking of first games played, I'll post up the 2 batreps tomorrow. I went 1-1 but I definitely love them in pretty much every way.. definitely my perfect playstyle, I think. Anyway, more thoughts when I do the write-ups.

• Like 2

For those that have 2 Feast of Bones and want to build something, try this: you can easily move into the full list simply by purchasing 1 box of Mortek Guard, a Liege-Kavalos, and a Boneshaper.

Vokmortian

Morghast Archai x 4 

Stalker x 3

Mortek Guard x 20

Vokmortian's Retinue Battalion

Mortek Guard x 10

Mortek Guard x 10

Mortisan Boneshaper [General] - [Godbone Armor]

Liege-Kavalos [Helm of the Ordained]

Immortis Guard x 3

Endless Spell: Bone-Tithe Shrieker

2k on the dot and there is nothing massively egregious or unfun with this list, unlike 2+ Nagash or Crawler lists. Bringing an Archai back with Vokmortian chaperoned by 3 Immortis Guard is really satisfying, while the 20 block guard and the Petrifex Boneshaper are their own block of resilience. 

Hard for the opponent to complain about a list that has 920 points tied up into recurring a Morghast Archai per turn; clearly won't be sweeping tournaments with this list, but for casual play any excuse to put Stalkers and Morghast on the table I will take. 

• Like 1

New list. Im liking this version more after hearing about everyone saying Guard are pretty much the one stop shop for everything.

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Petrifex Elite

Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Archaeossian
- Artefact: Helm of the Ordained
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- Artefact: Godbone Armour
- Lore of Mortisans: Protection of Nagash
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
Gothizzar Harvester (200)

Mortek Shield-corps (120)
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
Nightmare Predator (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 98

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Izikail said:

Hi guys, looking for some advice on paint scheme, thinking bone for bone and black with green tinge/highlights for the armor, but i dont know if that will mesh, or what colour to do spirityness in that case. any advice?

Bone and Black are both rather neutral (bone a bit less but it still goes with most everything). If you go with a green tinge/highlights you could go for green glow as well I guess.

Got the batrep up for both games I played yesterday.

Overall I'm pretty content with them.. I think playing with 9-10 RDP will be incredibly hard to break from, but I'll try it nonetheless. First impressions of Deathriders is meh and I would really consider having more Guard, a Boneshaper + Endless Spells... etc.

Anyway, thanks for reading, would love to hear peoples thoughts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

Question: Im assuming when building Mortek Guard that the unit leader should receive the great blade for first 10?

It's optional, the greatsword trades in the extra hits on 6s for a +1 on wound rolls so it's more of a side-grade then an upgrade vs the normal swords. In a spear unit the greatswords are good tho.

Up to personal preference I'd say.

Edited by Sedraxis
  • Thanks 1

One thing to consider is options like this is maximum possible damage.

I totally agree that considering average damage output is useful, but that data point alone won't tell the whole story. Once you look at how many total wounds an option can produce, you start to see what some less popular options have merit.

For example, while the big swords on Stalkers are more likely to cause some damage, they cap out at 9 wounds per model whereas the smaller weapons can do 10.

Most people seem to favor swords over spears in Guard, but spears will be able to cause more total damage than swords in some instances.

This is also why it's entirely possible you may not want any greatblades in your Guard. Each one lowers the max output of the unit. 

As with most things, it's situational, and while some situations may be more common than others, it's at least helpful to cover consider them all.

Hi guys, first post. I'm brand new to AoS, though I am a 16-year veteran of 40k. Just finished my first OBR miniature. I love the two-tone bone and red armor scheme of the Petrifex Elite, and I'm very pleased how it turned out. Thinking of doing resin bases, but in the meantime, I'm going to get my Feast of Bones box done up like this.

large.855218277_20191124_185632(2).jpg.e00b8985c6c3fc107ee17a029185684f.jpglarge.660513726_20191124_185642(2).jpg.9db8a14e64327fe7551f121dfcc2bfd5.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mr Spadge said:

And you've gone for almost exactly the same scheme as me (I've used normal bone as my secondary colour  😉 )

Nice paintjob, the bases look great!

And you‘ve gone for almost exactly the same scheme as everyone painting petrifex elite 👍🏻

Edited by Phasteon
  • Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:17 AM, Bryan I Guess said:

So book scheme isn't too difficult (I used yellow contrast instead of iyandan yellow step but basically same effect) since you start with the light colours it's easier to get all the crevices as the black drybrush then won't go into them however you may need to rego over some of the sticky out skulls with your yellow. As for extra yellow in the recesses (as per book scheme) I found the recesses generally easy enough to get a brush into and for the ones that weren't they were small enough that having darker orange instead of light yellow wasn't too noticeable or much of an issue (I kind find you wanna keep some orange showing in them really else it looks too yellow and not burny enough). It's an easy scheme to paint for sure as it's basically just base yellow, wash orange, drybrush black (i'd then suggest drybrush dark grey over that black to make it less flat) and then yellow in recesses. The only difficulty is making sure you don't go too overboard on yellow in recesses and end up making it look like an odd wasp ;)

Here's an example I've done so you can see the general idea of how it looks:

Unfortunately I've yet to snap pics of the smaller guys I've done but will try and put them onto my blog asap. This was also me being quite messy and not too careful with the scheme so if you're more careful with the recess yellow and such it'll probably come out looking even better ;)

• Like 1

Went to a little event this weekend, trialling a few things for the first major event of the season in 2 weeks. I'm making a couple of changes, but all up, I'm happy with my core build. 

My first game was vs shootcast, one of the armies I think will be rough for us, luckily it was total commitment, so no dropping in at the bottom of turn 1 to kill all my models. He had a unit of 20 sequitors, 15 judicators and 9 longstrikes as his main force with 2 characters. I deployed right back, out of range, he gave me first turn. I'm not sure if he didn't register what I said about the special shots the catapults had, but straight away I killed a sequitor breaking coherency, 10 gone straight away. I also got the judicators killing 5. He moved forward and I sat back. Turn 2, he won priority, but gave it to me as I was still too far out of range and he'd rather try and double than come close enough for me to counter. This is where I stuffed up, I got over confident and moved one of my guard blocks up. I killed another 2.5 judicators with catapults, him rolling saves a lot better this time, I didn't get much done this turn. He then shot in the hero phase and the shooting phase, getting my block of 20 down to 2. That was all this turn. I won turn 3 and took it, I moved my 2 guys back to start to heal, I charged arkhan in to tag the sequitors and proc protection of nagash. This worked and I managed to cap one of his back objectives. I also killed the judicators to 1 man left with my death riders and catapults. I realised today I didn't attack with my horses... My second big mistake was I brought my guys back so far that I left the objective. In his turn, he killed arkhan and took the objective I had left. Scores still tied. Turn 4 I won and moved back on to my objective, failed a 5 inch charge with my leige and failed to kill anything with my catapults. Disappointing round. His turn 4,he swamped my objective with the remaining sequitors, took back his back objective and time was called. I suffered a minor loss because of losing arkhan. In hindsight, if I kept my block of 20 back, the game was mine and that's going to be my strategy going forward. 

Game 2,i play the other stormcast player... He also had a big block of 20 sequitors, but had the characters to buff them to 2+ save with rerolls. He also had a star drake. We played better part of valor, so the point ways board was huge for me. He burned an objective turn 2, giving him only 2 points, which was his downfall. I managed to get off the no running and d6 charge from the nexus off every turn on the sequitors, which basically took them out of the game. I would charge on and tag 1 guy with arkhan, kill 1 or 2 of them, take a wound and teleport away and heal. I did this 3 times, it was only chip damage, but it helped. MVP again was my catapults. When a star drake has a 3+ rerolling 1s saves and you have 8 shots a turn, you only need a few 2s,and that's what I did. Stardrake was down by turn 2 before reaching me. In turn 4, I put pressure on his objectives and burned 2 of my own for 4 points each and just charged in with my guard to tie up his whole battle line. He had to burn his objectives for 4 each or I would take them turn 5 and I held my last for the full 8 points. Major victory to the bonerboiz. 

Game 3 was against DoK. I am a former DoK player, so I knew exactly how to win this one and it wasn't pretty, my opponent is a friend and I hated dismantling his army like this :( we played places of arcane power, he had morathi, 2 hags, sq on foot, 3 units of 10 witches and 2 blocks of 15 snakes. Turn 1 he pushed forward with morathi on a flank. MVP catapults again (these are auto include for me now), did 10 damage to the sq on foot, dead general and all the hagg narr buffs. I also shot into a unit of witches killing only 2,unlucky. I changed my death riders in, killing the remaining 8 witches and losing only 2 to the 15 snakes coming at me. I planted my leige on the middle objective. Arkhan charged into another witch unit and on to the non morathi flank objective,killing the hags. I got turn 2 priority, catapult killed his last unit of witches and one of his hags no sweat, I got over confident with arkhan and tagged a unit of snakes, while staying on the objective. I lost the rest of my death riders and arkhan survived on 2 wounds. His turn 2, he put 15 snakes into my liege/shaper/mason and did 0 damage... I proceeded to kill 7 snakes, 7 more ran in battleshock as they had -1 from my endless spell. Arkhan perished. I got turn 4, sniped his last hag and split coherency with his snake unit. The game was pretty much over, i was heading to arkhans old objective with my mason and I was already ahead on points and morathi couldn't leave or he'd lose the point. Major victory. 

I was pretty happy, the mistakes I made were because I got over confident, but I know better now. Catapults are definitely MVP in the 6 games I've had so far. I will be taking it my shaper and endless spells and putting in the carrion and buffing my death riders to a unit of 10. I'll be attending another 1 dayer next weekend with the new list to try, but the new one is already locked in for the major, but I fully believe that this will be THE list, I can't find a weekness yet, in 6 games, only 1 loss that was a minor and was my stuff up, so I'm confident going forward. 

77110898_3033671643327022_7781775790189838336_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Blitzd Appreciate the write up. With your new list, do you think losing that +1 to hit from the Shrieker is worth gaining 5 more Deathriders? I feel like that combined with the Soulmasons RR1's is too good to pass up to get everything hitting on 2's\RR1's.. especially with the Crawler as it counters Look Out, Sir. 

Edited by Gwendar