AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

29 minutes ago, Izikail said:

Anyone had much experiance with katakros in a game? I like his idea, but its alot of points for alot of average, just want to know if it adds up to a useable peice.

Used him in a 3,000 point game Saturday and his effect was immense.  He gives you several good buffs.  +1 to hit, 5 RD points, -1 to hit on a unit with unlimited range, heals 3 units, can deny command points, has endless duty and can be a force in combat.  He is awesome.

6 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

So lots of OBR stuff going up for sale on eBay and FB selling pages. 

Am I missing something or has the OBR bubble already popped before it really began? 

Everything just became available for general sale on Saturday. I suspect you are just seeing people selling at discount on Ebay. I took a look at did not see anything out of the Ordinary. 

3 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@Neffelo nah, it's people selling bundles of stuff like the OBR side of FoB along with warscroll cards and the battletome. If it was just the general release bits only then it wouldn't have lead to me asking the question. 

So then nothing new? I've seen this pattern with every single boxed release. A lot of people/stores buy up as many of these boxes as they can then sell off the individual components. People may be also realizing that the FoB isn't quite worth buying multiples of as much as some of the previous versions were. 

So far I've got 

20 mortek guard 

Harvester

Arkhan 

What would be your next purchase here?

Also, I'd like to add to the Katakros question - if I'm on a budget but can't decide between him (I'm painting my OBR in Praetorians purple) and Nagash, who should I go for...? Both have been hounded in the past for being overcosted, but more recently I'm seeing people report on how great they both are...

Katakros is more useful in more lists than nagash.  500 points is a lot, but it doesn't dominate you entire army like 880 does, so you can still reasonably field an army with katakros, where nagash is the army.

Based on first impressions from players with some tournament experience, the strongest units available to OBR are katakros, boneshapers, mortek guard, and the big catapult.  Less good are morghasts, arguably also immortis guard, vokmortian, and soulreapers unless you're running the trident battalion in a game using realm spells.  Other units are good, just not as good as the best stuff.

That said, internal balance is qctually pretty decent in OBR.  Even the less good units aren't exactly bad, so if you happen to really like vokmortian or morghasts or whatever you can still run them and do fine.

In terms of what to get next, you'll need the nexus terrain and more battleline, either more mortek guard or kavalos deathriders, whichever you prefer.  I'd recommend picking one you like aesthetically and working towards their formation, either the shield corps (another box or two of morteks plus a small caster, preferably a boneshaper) or the deathlance (2+ boxes of the kavalos plus a liege).  Both are good.

After that, if there are particular models you really like, go ahead and get those.  Again, internal balance in obr is pretty decent, between units at least, so even the "bad" units aren't all that bad.  If nothing else comes to mind, start saving towards katakros or one of the other battalions, in particular ballistari (2 crawlers, boneshaper) or trident (soulmason, soulreaper, boneshaper), as the components of either are pretty generally useful even outside of the battalion, with the possible exception of the soulreaper, which is at least a cool model.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 2

It's kind of funny how I feel like I'm playing Warmachine MK2 Goreshade2 theme. Banespam.

Question for you guys, do you feel like you have to take Arkhan or Nagash?

In faction you have limited shooting and limited offensive magic potential.

So it's like.. I feel I have to either take Arkhan or Nagash to magic stuff to death, or Crawlers and hope to shoot stuff, because you need to be able to reach out and touch people.

Just the thought of a someone who has only been playing like 6 months. =P

Edited by Obeisance

Got shared this nifty bit of math-hammer about what it take to get rid of Morket Guard with Harvesters nearby. That healing being able to stack makes things pretty crazy. Particularly if you have multiple Mortek units conga-lined within range and just bounce models between units.

Apologies for not being able to give credit for the below - if it was you, thanks!

73515663_981961295475836_300160850407194624_n.png.48b494072ad07c393708611721e412f4.png

52 minutes ago, THUNDERHAMMER said:

Is the aegis immortal battalion worth it? Seems like an over investment just to buff archai

If you want to field archai and immortis regardless, then yeah.  But if you weren't taking those units already than it's not reason enough to do so, really.

53 minutes ago, THUNDERHAMMER said:

Is the aegis immortal battalion worth it? Seems like an over investment just to buff archai

It doesn't just buff archai, it buffs immortis too, gives you RD point each round and an artefact, whille also reducing your deployment choices. Well worth it if you want protection for your heroes.

The spell mortal contract states that it is for the rest of the Battle. How many mortal contracts can you have active at The same time? Can you just cast a new one on a new enemy every casting phase? Which basicall means at The end of a Battle you could have 5 of them active? 

That seems pretty trollish and fun, since it an automatic punish everytime the unit decides to fight.. 

1 hour ago, Obeisance said:

Also, who gets access to faction command abilities?

IE the Petrifex -1 rend.

IF you choose petrifex subfaction you get access to it. It Costs one disciplin point to cast and it does not stack so the same unit cannot be tsrgeted twice. Other than that you can use it with as many disc points you have available! 

24 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

The spell mortal contract states that it is for the rest of the Battle. How many mortal contracts can you have active at The same time? Can you just cast a new one on a new enemy every casting phase? Which basicall means at The end of a Battle you could have 5 of them active? 

That seems pretty trollish and fun, since it an automatic punish everytime the unit decides to fight.. 

You can also put 5 on 1 unit. Any thing that has the ability to attack more than once a turn will melt

Went up against Nurgle with a 2000pt list, including 2 Crawlers, Liege and Soulmason for that sweet 4 attacks, +2 rerolling 1's.  And holy hell do they pack a punch. I took Helmet of the Ordained for character sniping (I don't think it's really necessary though), and first round they took out a  7 wound-hero each – like it was nothing! Followed by a double turn when they killed off the Glottkins. Pretty demoralizing for the opponent. 

Edited by Sällsam
  • LOVE IT! 1

19 minutes ago, Blitzd said:

You can also put 5 on 1 unit. Any thing that has the ability to attack more than once a turn will melt

It doesnt count for each of their weapons right? It only counts once per Battle round? Otherqise it would be stupid.. Not sure what constitutes an attack, but I assume that it is each round of Battle. 

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

It doesnt count for each of their weapons right? It only counts once per Battle round? Otherqise it would be stupid.. Not sure what constitutes an attack, but I assume that it is each round of Battle. 

That's correct, it's each phase, but if you are fighting something that attacks out of phase, generally in the hero phase, or I believe nighthaunt with a 10+ charge because they attack in the charge phase, then it will affect them multiple times per turn

@Blitzdyeah, then I understood it correctly.

Btw, when an ability says "friendly ossiarch bonereaper unit", does that include the one casting the ability? For example katakros and his supreme lord, or the heal ability of all The mortarchs? Can arkhan for example heal himself with mortarch of sacrament? 

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

@Blitzdyeah, then I understood it correctly.

Btw, when an ability says "friendly ossiarch bonereaper unit", does that include the one casting the ability? For example katakros and his supreme lord, or the heal ability of all The mortarchs? Can arkhan for example heal himself with mortarch of sacrament? 

Yes, that's why he and nagash are so good, in other armies, it's just summonable units, but in obr, it's everything

9 minutes ago, Blitzd said:

Yes, that's why he and nagash are so good, in other armies, it's just summonable units, but in obr, it's everything

Can one unit be picked more than once with that ability? So heal 6 wounds instead of 3, for example? Or is it rule of one?