AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

artflow_201911092100.png.bf3dff2e04aa5cbf563b081dda105938.png

Not that I think there was any real worry they wouldn't fit, but you can use the Arch-kavalos's lower horse legs with the liege-kavalos's horse head & rider parts if you want to build the generic hero with the special character's rearing pose.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

So my son and I decided to see who was the best Mortarch in a 3,000 point death civil war this afternoon.  

His army:

Grand Host of Nagash
Arkhan the Black  (Fading Vigour)
Wight King (General, Black Axe and Lord of Nagashizzar)
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (Sword, Goblet and Shield, Vile Transference and Balefire Lantern)
Necromancer (Overwhelming Dread)
Necromancer (Decrepify)
30 Grave Guard with Great Weapons
40 Skeletons with Spears
40 Skeletons with Spears
10 Skeletons with Swords
3 Vargheists
10 Black Knights
2 Morghast Archai
2 Morghast Harbringers

My army:

Petrifex Elite
Katakros (General)
Liege Kavalos (Helm of the Ordained)
Soul Mason (Reinforce Battle-Shields, Godbone Armor)
Mortisan Boneshaper (Empower Nadirite Weapons)
20 Mortek Guard with Swords, 2 Soulcleaver Greatblades
20 Mortek Guard with Swords, 2 Soulcleaver Greatblades
5 Kavalos Deathriders with Swords
5 Kavalos Deathriders with Swords
3 Immortis Guard
6 Necropolis Stalkers with 2 Dread Falchions
2 Gothizzar Havesters
Bone-Tithe Shrieker
Kavalos Lance Battalion

We were playing take and hold.  I set up one Mortek Guard unit to hold my objective and deployed out from there with my slower elements towards the middle and the faster elements like the Deathriders and Stalkers to pincer.  he set up in counter to me with his large blocks of skeletons to hold off my pincer while the Grave Guard and other elite units advanced up the middle to take my objective.  I finished setting up first and chose to go second.

Turn 1.

I generated my Relentless Discipline points and got 10 plus 12 rolls getting 2 more for a total of 12.  Katakros then denied Arkhan his command point for the turn.  With nothing to cast on offensively and no command points to use, one necromancer and Arkhan proceeded to give both skeleton blocks, the Grave Guard and Arkhan mystic shield.  He then ran his army forward to deny my movement and to lock me in to prevent surrounding me and to start his normal grinding game.

First in my turn the Necropolis Stalkers got Hunt and Kill.  Then the Bone-Tithe Nexus gave Arkhan a -1 to cast, dispel and unbind.  Katakros then gave the Grave Guard a -1 to hit and he used his Supreme Lord of the Ossiarch Bonereapers command ability.  Reinforce Shields and the Bone-Tithe Shrieker were dispelled while the mobile Mortek Guard got Enhance Weapons and the Stalkers got Soul-Guide.  

The Necropolis Stalkers then got a +3 to move and jumped over the terrain protecting the Lord on the Zombie Dragon.  The rest of the army rumbled forward with both Gothizar Harvesters also getting a +3 to move.  The harvesters shot and wounded one Vargheist twice.  Then the Stalkers charged his Zombie Dragon, one Harvester and a unit of Deathriders charged his Vargheists.  The Deathriders activated their command ability and did 2 more wounds on the charge killing one.  The Liege Kavalos and other Deathrider squad charged his Black Knights killing 2 with the impact his from the Liege and the free command ability on the Deathriders.  In the melee phast the Stalkers took the Precision Aspect and got the -1 rend command ability.  Both units of Deathriders and the Liege Kavalos also got the -1 rend and the Liege Kavalos and the Deathriders near him also got +1 attack from Endless Duty. 

The Stalkers went first and did a total of 23 wounds to the Vampire Lord on the Zombie Dragon after saves.  This sent a ripple of shock down an army that doesn't normally feel any emotions, let alone fear.  His Black Knights then fought the Liege Kavalos and Deathriders and did one wound to each.  The Gothizzar Harvester then went and pounded both remaining Vargheists into oblivion, but didn't have anyone to heal.  His skeletons then piled into the Stalkers, but could only get 10 into combat and in 30 attacks only managed to get one wound onto the Stalkers.  The Liege Kavalos went and killed 4 Black Knights.  His Grave Guard piled into the Stalkers but could only get 8 in and with the -1 to hit couldn't do extra damage on his weapons and so did a grand total of 1 wound to them.  The Deathriders with the Liege went and killed 3 more Black Knights leaving one which would crumble due to battleshock.  The other Deathriders that were once in combat with the Vargheists piled in teh 6" towards the Grave Guard killing 8 and having 2 more crumble to battleshock.  With that the first turn was over.

Turn 2

Arkhan won the roll off and chose to go first.  The Ossiarchs got one 6 on 12 dice and so had 11 RD points to work with.  Katakros once again denied Arkhan his command point.  Arkhan used Curse of Years on the Liege and failed to cast it.  His Fading Vigour was then unbound when he cast it.  Finally he put Mystic Shield on the Grave Guard.  One Necromancer had his Vanhel's unbound while the other failed to cast Overwhelming Dread.  8 of the Grave Guard were then brought back to life.  He didn't have much to move, but the unengaged skeletons moved up and both sets of Morghasts flew up to get in better position.  Finally, the Wight King moved over to better support the Grave Guard.  The Wight King charged the Deathriders engaged with the Grave Guard.  The Skeletons charged the other Deathriders and the Morghast Harbringers charged the Liege Kavalos.  Finally the Morghast Archai charged a Gothizzar Harvester and the Mortek Guard.  

The Liege Kavalos gave the Deathriders +1 attack and the Mortek Guard got +1 attack from Katakros, Shield Wall and -1 rend.  Finally the Stalkers went Precision Aspect again.  The Grave Guard once again went and piled in around the Deathriders and Stalkers.  Once again the -1 to hit from Katakros denied the Grave Guard their bonus damage and the grave guard managed to kill a stalker and put  a single wound on another Stalker and 1 more wound on the Deathriders.  The Liege Kavalos then went and killed a Morghast Harbringer.  the Morghast Archai went and whiffed completely on the Gothizzar Harvester and both hits to the Mortek Guard were saved on their shield wall.  The Stalkers went and killed 8 skeletons and 10 Grave Guard, but in the positioning left one Stalker out of coherency and would die at the end of the turn.  The skeletons struck him and managed another wound, but he immediately died after to coherency issues.  The Wight King struck at the Deathriders but was once again foiled by bad dice to hit and then the one that got through was saved on the Petrifex Armor.  The Deathriders then did 3 wounds to the Wight King and killed many more Grave Guard leaving 5 after battleshock.  The lone Morghast Harbringer did 2 more wounds to the Liege Kavalos and the Mortek Guard surrounded the Morghast Archai and did a total of 24 wounds to them after saves.  Finally the Skeletons did a wound to the Lieve Kavalos' Deathriders while they killed 12 back and 7 more turned to dust.  

With this, Katakros decided it was time to end the fight.  Once again he used his command ability, healed both Deathrider units and the Liege Kavalos and the spells cast were inconsequential.  To put it simply, the turn saw both units of Skeletons, the Wight King, Gravel Guard and Morghast Harbringer killed with only a single Deathrider being pulled down.  At this point it was Arkhan, 2 Necromancers and a unit of 10 Skeletons against the entirety of Katakros' legion (only having lost 2 Stalkers and 1 Deathrider) so the game was called

IMG_20191109_180032974.jpg

IMG_20191109_180035831.jpg

IMG_20191109_180046363.jpg

IMG_20191109_180050687.jpg

IMG_20191109_185557181.jpg

IMG_20191109_192243453.jpg

IMG_20191109_200542130.jpg

IMG_20191109_200538317.jpg

IMG_20191109_192254738.jpg

IMG_20191109_192243453.jpg

Edited by Emissary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some thoughts from game 2:

1) Wow, wasn't expecting it to be so one sided as it was.  The LoN had no answer for what happened to them.  It started badly when his normal tactic of having the Zombie Dragon behind some impassible terrain ready to jump out and charge something bogged down by the skeletons completely turned on it's head by 6 Stalkers with a 9" move and ignoring terrain.  With the Bonereapers being so packed together he couldn't bring enough force anywhere to really dent the Ossiarch legions.  Still, even with his bad dice rolling, him only killing 1 Deathrider and 1 Stalker was way less then expected and makes me wonder just a bit.  

2) Stalkers in a squad of 6 are money and certainly to be feared.  The carnage they caused early was impressive.  Just an absolute blender.  With a 3+/6+++ save they aren't exactly squishy either.

3) Katakros is a beast.  he didn't fight this game, but his effect on it was immense.  My son was seriously hamstrung by having 0 command points during the course of the game.  Plus the army-wide +1 to hit and the 10+ relentless discipline points was absolutely huge for hitting power.  He was worth every point and then some and I think he will be a huge force even in regular 2,000 point games.

4) The biggest thing I noticed this game was how effective the army is when you have a ton of RD points.  Getting extra -1 or extra attacks on multiple units a turn was massive as was getting that PLUS extra movement, charging bonuses etc.  1+1 does not equal 2, more like 4 or 5 if you get all these bonuses at once.  I can't express enough how good Mortek Guard or  Kavalos Deathriders are when they get their unit command ability plus +1 attack and -1 rend every turn or in multiple parts of your army.    It really was downright DIRTY.

5) Overall,  I love the look of the army and how it felt, but I just hope it isn't nearly this one sided very often.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Emissary said:

I guess if they've preordered the models I don't see a big deal.  I can understand not letting anyone get a competitive advantage by putting the models on the shelves for sale early.  If they've prepaid and preordered who really cares if they get them a few hours early?  It isn't taking sales from anyone.

Ok, so I'll make this my last post on the topic here so as not to derail the thread (happy to discuss elsewhere). It's two things:

1. Long term protection for all retailers. Keeping the field level keeps one place from gaining an unfair advantage over others. If some stores (especially internet and internet-only ones) could use early release as an un-matchable advantage, it could cripple others long term, leaving the sector weakened as a whole.

2. GW stores sometimes get (super-ridiculously) criticized for competing against other area brick and mortar stores. In order to keep things "fair" they agree to not sell items before release date and expect independent stores to do the same. Go ahead. Break that covenant. See where that gets ya.

2 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Ok, so I'll make this my last post on the topic here so as not to derail the thread (happy to discuss elsewhere). It's two things:

1. Long term protection for all retailers. Keeping the field level keeps one place from gaining an unfair advantage over others. If some stores (especially internet and internet-only ones) could use early release as an un-matchable advantage, it could cripple others long term, leaving the sector weakened as a whole.

2. GW stores sometimes get (super-ridiculously) criticized for competing against other area brick and mortar stores. In order to keep things "fair" they agree to not sell items before release date and expect independent stores to do the same. Go ahead. Break that covenant. See where that gets ya.

I understand, and I'll make this my last one also.  I agree that stores shouldn't have the stuff out on shelves for sale ahead of the street date for those impulse buys.  On the otherhand, I don't mind anyone that has already preordered and prepaid getting it a few hours earlier.  It isn't like they are taking sales from anywhere once that happens as the sale has already happened.  And presales are exactly what GW does for a week for everything released so it isn't like the independents are one-upping GW there. 

2 hours ago, Emissary said:

but I just hope it isn't nearly this one sided very often.

Considering I recognize those tables, I would gladly play next time you're around to test it out (or you can come to our monthly meetup the 23rd)... definitely don't think I'd want to mirror match though 😉

I'll be getting my stuff tomorrow, likely going to be running a bit of everything as tests. If you get another game up with 1-2 Crawlers I would love to hear how they go.

New list idea. Im all about Arkhan in lists.

- Legion: Petrifex Elite
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Archaeossian
- Lore of Mortisans: Reinforce Battle-shields
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Artefact: Godbone Armour
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
3 x Immortis Guard (200)
Gothizzar Harvester (200)

Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
Nightmare Predator (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 108

Edited by Malakithe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- General
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
3 x Immortis Guard (200)

Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
Nightmare Predator (40)

I like this list a lot a well! I've got a similar list myself

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
Mortisan Soulmason (140)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)

Units
6 x Immortis Guard (400)
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (200)

3 minutes ago, Neffelo said:

I like this list a lot a well! I've got a similar list myself

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
Mortisan Soulmason (140)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)

Units
6 x Immortis Guard (400)
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (200)

I went with the tanky/regen theme with magic support. I was thinking of swapping a harvester for crawler but I realized Arkhan did he same thing in that he can snipe heroes via extended range 3xarcane bolts. I had extra points so tossed in the two good endless spells as well 

9 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Considering I recognize those tables, I would gladly play next time you're around to test it out (or you can come to our monthly meetup the 23rd)... definitely don't think I'd want to mirror match though 😉

I'll be getting my stuff tomorrow, likely going to be running a bit of everything as tests. If you get another game up with 1-2 Crawlers I would love to hear how they go.

I'm there most Wednesday nights.   Weekends are harder because of my wife's schedule but I'm trying to see if I can get free for the 23rd.  I wanted to try out the crawler but it and 2 boxes of mortek guard weren't assembled at the time of the game.

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- General
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
3 x Immortis Guard (200)

Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
Nightmare Predator (40)

My worry with this list is you only generate 3 RD points guaranteed.  That's quite low.  May want to drop the boneshaper and endless spells for a liege kavalos.

6 minutes ago, Emissary said:

I'm there most Wednesday nights.   Weekends are harder because of my wife's schedule but I'm trying to see if I can get free for the 23rd.  I wanted to try out the crawler but it and 2 boxes of mortek guard weren't assembled at the time of the game.

My worry with this list is you only generate 3 RD points guaranteed.  That's quite low.  May want to drop the boneshaper and endless spells for a liege kavalos.

Truuu didnt think about that

13 minutes ago, Emissary said:

For me it's generally weekends, ah well, hope to see you there.

Anyway, I think I'll likely be picking up and running this as a start:

Spoiler

Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
- General
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- Artefact: Helm of the Ordained
Mortisan Soulmason (140)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Behemoths
Mortek Crawler (200)

Battalions
Mortek Shield-corps (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

It's a solid enough base to work from. The great thing with Ossiarchs in my opinion is that there doesn't seem to be a reason to have unused models sitting around when so many different lists can work well. So even though this is mostly a test list, it can all find use in another (unlike a lot of my Skaven stuff sitting around) which is nice for me and my wallet. I think the 1 Crawler should be enough for me to gauge it, though you've really got me thinking about 1x6 Stalkers. I feel that getting all that RD is very needed so we'll see how it goes.

14 hours ago, Sception said:

Not that I think there was any real worry they wouldn't fit, but you can use the Arch-kavalos's lower horse legs with the liege-kavalos's horse head & rider parts if you want to build the generic hero with the special character's rearing pose.

This is honestly such a relief for me. I love the model, but the conveniently placed stones that the hooves stand on is just dumb, and I want to fit that spirit on the base. The rearing pose is so much better, but I can't see myself ever running Zandtos.

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

For me it's generally weekends, ah well, hope to see you there.

Anyway, I think I'll likely be picking up and running this as a start:

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
- General
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- Artefact: Helm of the Ordained
Mortisan Soulmason (140)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Behemoths
Mortek Crawler (200)

Battalions
Mortek Shield-corps (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

It's a solid enough base to work from. The great thing with Ossiarchs in my opinion is that there doesn't seem to be a reason to have unused models sitting around when so many different lists can work well. So even though this is mostly a test list, it can all find use in another (unlike a lot of my Skaven stuff sitting around) which is nice for me and my wallet. I think the 1 Crawler should be enough for me to gauge it, though you've really got me thinking about 1x6 Stalkers. I feel that getting all that RD is very needed so we'll see how it goes.

Sounds good.  Also, can you PM me your name so I know who I'm talking to?

Another list I've been considering:

Petrifex Elite
Liege Kavalos (General, Godbone Armor)
Liege Kavalos (Helm of the Ordained
Mortisan Boneshaper (Enhance Nadrite Weapons)
Mortisan Boneshaper (Reinforce Battle Shields)
20 Mortek Guard (Swords)
20 Mortek Guard (Swords)
20 Mortek Guard (Swords)
20 Mortek Guard (Swords)
5 Kavalos Deathriders (Swords)
Mortek Shield Corps Battalion
2000 points exactly

Generates 7 RD plus 9 rolls, 6 Drops, Heals 6 and has 2 spells.  Plus the 2 Liege Kavalos give coverage in 2 areas to throw out Endless Duty in addition to the Shield Wall and Bludgeon.  

Hey guys, dumb question, but does the spell "enhance battle shields" also buff your mortek guard that have the soulcleaver greatblade? The warscrolls says you replace only the weapon option so... Are they still considered to have their shields?