AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

6 hours ago, Nuradin said:

Whats your recipe for the bone? 

Pretty simple really. Wraithbone basecoat, skeleton horde contrast all over, then wyldwood contrast on feet, knees etc. Then a light drybrush of ushabti bone. Lastly extreme highlights with wraithbone is optional, I will only be doing that on larger models.

The white bone is simply apothecary white contrast, with ceramite white highlights. I think the apothecary white is one of the most interesting paints in the contrast range, while all the variations of brown are super effective.

7 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Pretty simple really. Wraithbone basecoat, skeleton horde contrast all over, then wyldwood contrast on feet, knees etc. Then a light drybrush of ushabti bone. Lastly extreme highlights with wraithbone is optional, I will only be doing that on larger models.

The white bone is simply apothecary white contrast, with ceramite white highlights. I think the apothecary white is one of the most interesting paints in the contrast range, while all the variations of brown are super effective.

aah, okay! That should mean that wraithbone with seraphim Sepia shade should work.. I was planning on spraying corax white and Seraphim Sepia, but heard that Corax White wasn't very reliable in minus degrees (we have a few minus degrees here in the north of sweden), so was thinking if I could change the corax white into something else. And the bone you did looked really good. Might have to pick up skeleton horde, but was hoping for Seraphim Sepia to do the trick in order to save some money!

@NuradinCorax white and Seraphim sepia is really close I think, there is an article using that technique on warhammer community here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/28/from-the-mind-of-mengel-mortek-guardgw-homepage-post-2/

I used some elements for inspiration, but for the bone both methods should do well. My experience from coating outside with corax white is similar living in Scandinavia, as it often ends up either drying midair or pooling if too close instead. So far wraithbone seems a bit better to work with, but I also have a garage to coat in now so that obviously helps a bit with the issue as well.

@Scurvydog That's the guide I am following atm!
But since corax white is not really the best option I am looking at changin corax white to Wrathbone, and that should work with Seraphim. You still get a yellower finish.. and it should still work with white highlights. I could just go with Skeleton Horde like you did and go with white highlights.. I think that would look cool also! Just not sure what would give the best results on bigger models, like say for example the Crawler (was planning on using the exakt same method and color scheme on that). Contrast from what I've experienced is not the best on big surfaces! But since I'm only after tinting it, perhaps the results wouldn't be all to dissimilar between contrast and shade.

1 hour ago, Obeisance said:

No rend, I think it's not so great.

True, but hordes usually have low armour so it's quite lethal against then (really good  for a low model army like OB) and elite units or even characters won't like to be targeted because failing a save roll could be quite punishing. If you could use Petrifex CA on their shooting it would be too much. 

58 minutes ago, Izotzuhure said:

even characters won't like to be targeted because failing a save roll could be quite punishing.

That's kind of the thing people should be looking out for. This thing is a big threat to 5-wound support characters and having 3-4 shots coming at you means you only need to fail 1 of those 4-6+ saves and you're done while the thing is at full wounds. Which, with it having a 40" threat range, they will have to hide things if you're given T1 with these and they will always be hitting something. Horde-clearing potential is nice too, and I think this is part of the reason we see people always wanting to include 2 in lists so you can spread the love between targets easier.

A warning to anyone who managed to grab feast of bones but hasn't assembled Vokmortian yet:  paint him, his sarcophagus, and his base separately.  Or at least, paint his base and the inside of his skirt before glueing them together, and paint his back and the indide of his sarcophagus before gluing those together.

Doing the base separately is especially important.  Normally I'm a lazy painter who assembles everything first with the excuse of 'if a paintbrush can't reach it than my eyes probably can't see it anyway', but because of the hole in back of the robe and the way it opens in front it is both very easy to see the inside of the robe, the back leg, and the ground around his back foot and very hard to actually reach any of that stuff to properly paint it once the model is glued down.

9 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Seahawks fan? 🙂 

Also, at others, serious question.

The street date on the stuff is Saturday. I've seen several people posting photos of shipments they got early, by several days in some cases.

How are people getting stuff before it's released?

Some things arrive in the mail early.  I don't know why it happens.

Also, katakros' damage table is different in the instructions to put him together.  Doesn't have the overlap at 8 and the liege immortis dies at 10 wounds.

IMG_20191109_100518646.jpg

Edited by Emissary

What happens is that to make the Saturday launch work, GW posts out product earlier to 3rd party retailers and even earlier to overseas sites. So the stock is out there in advance. The various shops are then supposed to hold onto the stock until launch day, however

1) Many will send it out by post earlier so that the customer gets it on the Saturday. Sometimes this means that it will arrive a day earlier if the customer/store uses a fast postal service and also if the product gets shipped out early enough

2) Some stores just don't really care so some of their customers get products or to see products earlier than they should - although in general this is all people pre-ordering rather than new sales. 

3) Some people work for stores so when the shipment comes in they just pluck their order from the stock. 

So yeah through various channels some stuf ends up arriving earlier; but its often only a few days difference. 

4 hours ago, Souleater said:

Looks really good. Would you mind sharing your technique with us, please?

Thank you.

White primer.

Then Vallejo German Grey for the black areas followed by  Nuln Oil (except the shield emblem), Whitee in the recesses i want in green and correcting the mistakes with the grey.

After that the white is just a wash of seraphim sepia and an outline of white and in the receses Vallejo Emerald Green.

Then with the German Grey I correct the mistakes in the emblem, and the ones in the knees with Eshin Grey, and do the black outlines with Vallejo Dark Sea Grey.

Lastly the sword starts with a wash of my own mixture of water, lahmian medium and emerald green that I use for my Nighthaunts and skeletons, but most likely Aethermatic Blue/Akhelian Green/Terradon Turquoise can work similar, then Vallejo Yellow Fluor in the edge, and finally another wash of the same mixture.

• Thanks 1

Has someone bought the Stazlkers/immortis separatly to the Feast of bones? If yes, could you please share the assembling notice of the Immortis (which is not in the Feast of bones box, what a shame!)

Thank you in advance from all of us with those miniatures without full plans 😉

4 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Has someone bought the Stazlkers/immortis separatly to the Feast of bones? If yes, could you please share the assembling notice of the Immortis (which is not in the Feast of bones box, what a shame!)

Thank you in advance from all of us with those miniatures without full plans 😉

If nobody does, just message GW and ask for the build instructions. They will send you a pdf =). 

4 hours ago, Overread said:

What happens is that to make the Saturday launch work, GW posts out product earlier to 3rd party retailers and even earlier to overseas sites. So the stock is out there in advance. The various shops are then supposed to hold onto the stock until launch day, however

1) Many will send it out by post earlier so that the customer gets it on the Saturday. Sometimes this means that it will arrive a day earlier if the customer/store uses a fast postal service and also if the product gets shipped out early enough

2) Some stores just don't really care so some of their customers get products or to see products earlier than they should - although in general this is all people pre-ordering rather than new sales. 

3) Some people work for stores so when the shipment comes in they just pluck their order from the stock. 

So yeah through various channels some stuf ends up arriving earlier; but its often only a few days difference. 

Oh, I understand that. I worked at GW (in trade sales even for a time) and I worked at an independent retailer.

All I know is that if a store put product in the hands of a customer before street date hit, they were cut off.

Thus my surprise at recent early arrivals.

Edited by Sleboda

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Oh, I understand that. I worked at GW (in trade sales even for a time) and I worked at an independent retailer.

All I know is that if a store put product in the hands of a customer before street date hit, they were cut off.

Thus my surprise at recent early arrivals.

I'm surprised at the surprise.  This isn't the first time a large online preorder from the gw webstore has arrived on friday for me.

My own order has been picked up - 40 more mortek guard, one of each non-special hero, and a harvester.

Refitted an old lich priest conversion to use as a boneshaper as well:

artflow_201911091802.png.83272ff8c4e92171e227569326cbb961.pngartflow_201911091803.png.401587c266731de474642508ffd4553e.png

I like the official model more, but I'm happy enough with the result to use it as a second shaper when I want to field two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emissary said:

I'm surprised at the surprise.  This isn't the first time a large online preorder from the gw webstore has arrived on friday for me.

There are people getting their stuff early from independent stores. That's the thing that makes ya go "hmm."

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

There are people getting their stuff early from independent stores. That's the thing that makes ya go "hmm."

I guess if they've preordered the models I don't see a big deal.  I can understand not letting anyone get a competitive advantage by putting the models on the shelves for sale early.  If they've prepaid and preordered who really cares if they get them a few hours early?  It isn't taking sales from anyone.