AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

2 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Man, trying to build lists feels soooo small. I'm used to building Skaven. Where I can afford 180+ dudes, multiple monsters and still have all my toys.

I'm playing in a 2K tournament next week. I'm using Ironjawz.

The army has 20 models.

Bonereapers are going to feel like a horde army to me! ;)

• LOVE IT! 1

Morning, 

Please excuse the question but I just want to double check that I'm not a banana.

Katakros is a named character and thus can't be given a command trait. The legion traits state that your general must have that specific trait. Does this mean that Katakros can't be your general? I'm not very good with these kind of things so please help enlighten me!

Cheers

9 hours ago, MetaMaxy said:

I'm planning on running 2.

Nagash

10x Mortek Guard

10x Mortek Guard

20x Mortek Guard

2x Crawlers

Soulmason

1x Shrieker Endless Spell

1x Predator Endless Spell

Bubble up and take objectives with spell support/healing with Nagash and firepower with Crawlers

List seems to be over 10pts

6 minutes ago, Souleater said:

@Chrisdanish He can be your General, but he won't get the command trait.

This is one of the reasons you sometimes see a relatively minor hero acting as General - you get to keep and use the trait and/or artifact. 

Cheers @Souleater

The Azzure app won't let me validate the list as I haven't assigned the command trait so I wrongly assumed that he could then not be your general. Silly app!

Thanks for the clarification. :) 

Hello guys,

Been toying with a full-on Stalker army, and was wondering on who should be the general. Do note that i’ve never played Death before.

The core will always be the same:

3*10 Mortek Guards

2*6 Necropolis Stalkers

1*2 Morghasts Harbingers

This brings us to 1480pts. Now I need to find a worthy general. Should I use Katakros, who seems like a beast, and him alone ? Or should I get Arkhan and a minor hero, plus a endless spell ?

If using Katakros i’ll play as Praetorians, otherwise as Petrifex.

Thanks for your help !

Small Magnetizing Guide :)

Regarding the discussion whether to go spears or swords on the Mortek Guard, I decided to go both for a few via magnetizing. The models are very good and easy to do so with 2x1mm magnets. Drill a 2mm hole into the body and cut of the extrusion on the arms to glue the magnets on. The shoulder pads cover the magnets very well, so you won't see them.

I'll use 2x20 with glued swords and 40 with magnetized weapons option  which should be enough to play smaller or one bigger block.

I magnetized the towers for the Nexus, too. For the smaller towers I used 5x2mm magnets, they fit almost perfectly in the gap at the bottom (either cut a bit of the bottom or fill gaps with green stuff). You can glue the decorations onto the bases for the mall tower, just don't glue them to the small towers themself for them to be detachable :)

For the big centre tower I used cylindrical magnets since they are easier to glue lengthwise. The statue stand very good on it's own, but I added them for some extra support.

Glue the counterparts to the inner side of the nexus.

InShot_20191103_102533254.jpg

InShot_20191103_103029826.jpg

InShot_20191103_103808229.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

38 minutes ago, Alaric83 said:

You need one more battleline, right now the list is not valid

It is when its not matched but we play with points anyways, 

but then just add 5 more horses remove Arch kavalos add the nightmare predator 

Question still stands

Edited by inflitionz

What are people's thoughts on Arkhan? he seems like such a great utility piece, at a not unreasonable points cost, but is it safe to run without the protection of immortis guard (which in total is over 500 points) or would you expect him to be targeted and removed very quickly without them?

I'm having quite the second thoughts on the mortek crawler. The lack of rend on the normal shots really bothers me. And investing 400pts in two of them seems a too big investment.

Without characters babysitting the crawlers to give buffs they seem too much luck dependent on very few dice rolls. I rather have my chars support and buff units like mortek guard, deathriders etc.

I have a feeling that if you want any of the crawlers then you need to build a list around them. I don't think they're a good supplement to a list.

And sure they're good at character sniping I guess, but no rend again...

1 minute ago, Altair554488 said:

What are people's thoughts on Arkhan? he seems like such a great utility piece, at a not unreasonable points cost, but is it safe to run without the protection of immortis guard (which in total is over 500 points) or would you expect him to be targeted and removed very quickly without them?

I think arkhan is great. Also he has good speed and a nice sum of wounds. In petrifex 3+ save etc.

I would always give him the carrion endless spell. It can help with the healing and serve as his point of LoS. Meaning you can keep him nice in the back, hiding behind terrain etc. Keeping out of harms way. All the while he can do his thing at the front lines from the carrions pov.

Immortis guard are just a huge point of investment that would do no dmg and would slow down arkhans mobility.

Feel immortis guards are more suited for an unkillable nagash list.

@DioRa Good point with the carrion endless spell for arkhan. I am undecided on the crawlers myself, I feel they have great potential, particularly against hoard-type lists, and I like the idea of the battalion , but seems like too much of your army to tie up in one place and I agree they are sub-optimal for hunting most heroes with good armour, although for many support characters one lucky shot at damage 5 would either kill them or take them to one wound, ripe for an arcanebolt/terrain mortal wound ability to finish them off.

Im not seeing alot of people taking battalions. Is the general feel that there not worth it, as builds are already stretched thin is it just points issues or are there effects two weak.

The army is ressiliant to priority issues so makes sens were not racing for a two drop

Im surprised how few heros are taken considering there guaranteed "cp"

I also find there battleline is a dit disapointing, i would have liked stalkers or guard to be BL if ... And morghast (although i think morghast are unnecassery in the army as the stalkers and guards are cheeper and better) BL if nagash or something.

5 minutes ago, Izikail said:

Im not seeing alot of people taking battalions. Is the general feel that there not worth it, as builds are already stretched thin is it just points issues or are there effects two weak.

The army is ressiliant to priority issues so makes sens were not racing for a two drop

Im surprised how few heros are taken considering there guaranteed "cp"

I also find there battleline is a dit disapointing, i would have liked stalkers or guard to be BL if ... And morghast (although i think morghast are unnecassery in the army as the stalkers and guards are cheeper and better) BL if nagash or something.

Problem I have with the more useful battalions is that it is another 100+ points. I'm already starving for points when building lists. Yes the extra artifact is nice, and I feel the extra RD is neglible.

Personally the only battalions I like are the deathrider one and the mortek guard one. But the mortek one is so not worth the points. Can better put those points in 10 more mortek guard or a support caster.

@Izikail

Don't forget the army is super new and most people won't even be able to field anything that isn't in Feast of Bones for a few weeks. So chances are people are just wanting to play around and put more toys on the table rather than the battalions. Plus I suspect some are just wishlisting more than writing out powerful lists so its more model focused. 

One bonus is that whilst the models are expensive the battalions are cheaper, so they aren't as much of a points sink.

• Like 1

I played about with some mathhammer and found mortek and stalkers were good damage (stalkers pertucularly with the -1r +1d) everyone els was meh.

morghast being realy disappointing not sure how i would use them, long backfield charges for the harbingers is the only viable thing i can see but they then suffer with medioca damage for there points, maybe the otheres could work in the battalion as they would be able to take wounds on a 2 which is ignored on a 5, then if its a mortal ignored on a 5 again then a 6 for deathless. Although thats alot of points for 3 medioca units.

The horses were ok, nothing special and a bit week for there points when compared to things like gor gruntas

The liege is a bit week, and the artifacts arnt much use on him as half his damage is from his mount but he is more a buff vector to me

Katakros is a bit disappointing, never realy achieving god tier damage his damage fluctuates and is lower on the even tiers considering his slow speed and cost its a realy disappointing damage output, outside of his own legion i dont think he is worth it, and personaly i would endeavour to keep him up as high as possible for his attendant abilities as his damage dosnt decline far staying high on wounds (as an aside i would argue that he can heal himself as all of the criteria ossiarch, within x, freindly apply to him although he can only target himeself for one portion of the heal)

Overall a very meh force, there strength however comes from there utility, any unit you want to do something will be buffed by two CA's and probably a spell this versitility in where you apply thoughs CAs is what will be the diferance between a win or a loss

Edited by Izikail

We have some very good artefacts, in particular the +1 to hit and +1 to wound bubbles, and if you're taking a subfaction then battalions are the only way to access them.  Most are pretty decent, but cost is an issue as the army is pretty points starved.  Most everything is as expensive as it can possibly be without being outright prohibitive.  It's mostly all usable, but the only unit I'd call 'cheap for what it does' is Karakros, and that's only because of how much he does, not because he's actually, you know, cheap.

So I do think any one battalion is a valid option but taking one is going to cost something painful, one less crawler or harvester, forgoing a liege or downgrading a special character, downgrading from a rhobust battleline to a minimal one, etc.

More than one battalion is probably right out, so I think 2 to 3 drop armies are a pipe dream, but I could be proven wrong.

3 minutes ago, Izikail said:

Overall a very meh force, there strength however comes from there utility, any unit you want to do something will be buffed by to CA and probably a spell 

They're still an undead army, so yeah, buffs are still an important part of their offence and healing is still an important part of their defence, and when you take that into account some of the other units in the army start to shine more.

With multiple different melee attacks per model, for instance, units like the kavalos, immortis, and Katakros himself benefit more from the +1 attack buff from a liege than stalkers do. 

Even then they generally aren't quite as efficient in pure offense, but that's because they have other roles as well.  Kavalos are a fast unit in an otherwise slow army with multiple ways to access the ability to retreat and charge in the same turn.  Immortis can take wounds for your support heroes to keep those critical buffs around longer.  Katakros does... basically everything.  None of them are as points efficient in damage output as stalkers, but that's because stalkers are pure damage output without much other utility.

The only units I'd call 'sub par' are Vokmortian & the Soulreaper, whose abilities want them to risk melee and even then aren't half as good for the army as what a boneshaper or soulmason can do from the comparative safety if your back lines, and the morgasts, who have been a bit lackluster since AoS's release and are still a bit lackluster in this book, but even then they aren't so bad that you couldn't justify taking a minimum squad of them in either the stalker or immortis battalions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1