AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

53 minutes ago, Sception said:

At 1000 points, in a mortek guard heavy petrifex list, that should be plenty.  If you were running Crematorians or some other really off kilter list with morr specialized needs things might be different.

That's a good point! I'll probably consider something like that list too for my 1k starter

37 minutes ago, Lord of Bones said:

It sits on ~720pts. Adding another 10 Mortrek Guard or the Cav. seems like the likely way to start expanding. I'm thinking

+ 1x 10 Mortrek Guard, 1x Boneshaper, 20pt spare (So could replace with the Bonemason or drop to the Soulreaper for another Endless spell option)

Was that a reply about the Meeting Engagements list? Or are you continuing a separate conversation and I just misunderstood haha 

Interesting battle report to check. Of course it's small-sized, none of the lists are optimised and the tactical level looks quite friendly, but you can get a good idea of how units work.

It basically sets up my mind regarding the Stalkers/Guards choice. Stalkers might have a better offensive output, but are quite squishy. Guards have a lower standard damage output, but for 2 RD points they can get quite punchy (+1A and swinging Shields twice), are tougher, protect heroes, and have 2' reach with halberds. So in the end Guards seem more useful and less prone to lose effectiveness if charged and fighting after the enemy.
I also tend to value much more the Improve Shields spell to get a 5+ MW shrug, especially for Mortek Guards who really suffer from MW.

My 1k (my usual gaming size) would be :
Petrifex Elite
- Liege-Kavalos
- Boneshaper (Improve Shield)
- 10 Mortek Guard
- 10 Mortek Guard
- 2 Morghast Harbringers
- 3 Immortis Guards

Good RD generation at 1k points, tough lines in Petrifex, Meeting Engagement friendly with a good mobility thanks to Harbringers.

Edited by Kokoshi

13 minutes ago, Kokoshi said:

Interesting battle report to check. Of course it's small-sized, none of the lists are optimised and the tactical level looks quite friendly, but you can get a good idea of how units work.

It basically sets up my mind regarding the Stalkers/Guards choice. Stalkers might have a better offensive output, but are quite squishy. Guards have a lower standard damage output, but for 2 RD points they can get quite punchy (+1A and swinging Shields twice), are tougher, protect heroes, and have 2' reach with halberds. So in the end Guards seem more useful and less prone to lose effectiveness if charged and fighting after the enemy.
I also tend to value much more the Improve Shields spell to get a 5+ MW shrug, especially for Mortek Guards who really suffer from MW.

My 1k (my usual gaming size) would be :
Petrifex Elite
- Liege-Kavalos
- Boneshaper (Improve Shield)
- 10 Mortek Guard
- 10 Mortek Guard
- 2 Morghast Harbringers
- 3 Immortis Guards

Good RD generation at 1k points, tough lines in Petrifex, Meeting Engagement friendly with a good mobility thanks to Harbringers.

I believe he mentioned he felt the OBR didn't  "feel" as good there since they lacked some important stuff in the box, while the ogors basically had access to everything? But still a good look into them!

Just now, Arcian said:

I believe he mentioned he felt the OBR didn't  "feel" as good there since they lacked some important stuff in the box, while the ogors basically had access to everything? But still a good look into them!

I completely agree with that ! I just noticed that OBR seem extremely vulnerable to MW (something that other armies provide with ease) and that the mathematically perfect damage output Necropolis Stalkers can easily be taken down before doing any damage. The most obvious unit options don't seem that resilient and so that efficient.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kokoshi said:

I completely agree with that ! I just noticed that OBR seem extremely vulnerable to MW (something that other armies provide with ease) and that the mathematically perfect damage output Necropolis Stalkers can easily be taken down before doing any damage. The most obvious unit options don't seem that resilient and so that efficient.

Are you meaning you don't think stalkers are that efficient because they are comparatively more fragile compared to the immortis? Sorry, haven't had enough coffee today

This party doesn't give justice to those army. OBR have several mechanisms that make them resilient: +X save ,rerolls etc... and the revive/health. Same for the Offensive part. Add to this that this party was strategically a bit dumb on the OBR side.

The ogor side is more "ready out of the box" than the OBR.

The battle of GW yesterday on their twitch channel was closer to the full potential of the OBR army, especially facing a top tier army Slanesh with several keepers of secrets...

20 minutes ago, Arcian said:

Are you meaning you don't think stalkers are that efficient because they are comparatively more fragile compared to the immortis? Sorry, haven't had enough coffee today

From this short and lonely battle report, yes Stalkers seemed a bit lackluster, a lower point count of Ogors could charge them first and reduce significantly their damage by killing one of them. The Tyrant then finished them in a single round.
If you manage to charge first, Stalkers should be extremely efficient. But if you're charged, or fight last, or against a "fight first" unit… then you will lose some of your Stalkers and thus offensive performance.
Guards can take more punch than Stalkers, and with good buff can be quite efficient in killing stuff (3 of them with a Liege and double activation can send 18 Shield Attacks which is 3 MW + Halberds attacks). Their Shields can also be buffed by spells.
BUT any good general should be able to use both units efficiently. Just saying plain damage prevision is a bit lackluster to decide which unit is the best.

Edited by Kokoshi

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

This party doesn't give justice to those army. OBR have several mechanisms that make them resilient: +X save ,rerolls etc... and the revive/health. Same for the Offensive part. Add to this that this party was strategically a bit dumb on the OBR side.

The ogor side is more "ready out of the box" than the OBR.

The battle of GW yesterday on their twitch channel was closer to the full potential of the OBR army, especially facing a top tier army Slanesh with several keepers of secrets...

Not following Twitch, what was the global outcome for OBR ?

1 hour ago, Kokoshi said:

That's because it's the Feast of Bones box set, not actual lists being made.

4 hours ago, Lightbox said:

snip

Arkhan - 360

Liege Kavalos - 200 - General

Bone shaper - 130

20x Mortek Guard (Swords) - 260 - BL

20x Mortek Guard (Swords) - 260 - BL

10x Mortek Guard (Swords) - 130 - BL

snip

I’ve been consider the same three heroes above for a several days now.  So seeing Page 52 have multiple people discuses it has been a real treat.

For my battleline I’ve been leaning more towards:

• 10 - 20 Mortek Guard
  • 5 - 10 Kavalos Deathriders

Likely 20x Guard since a small unit would be a weaker objective holder and I’m getting a feeling the OBR should not  try to have cheap throwaway units like other Death armies.  Everyone needs a serious job to do.  I keep flip-flopping on the Deathriders unit sizes  over squeezing in other units.  Too many nice choices for competing missions.

So are you planning on semi-bubble wrapping the Harvester in the smaller unit and throwing them into the enemy?  I suspect the explode-y list on Warhammer Community uses two harvesters so they can better cover the limited 3” bubble.

13 minutes ago, Evil Bob said:

I’ve been consider the same three heroes above for a several days now.  So seeing Page 52 have multiple people discuses it has been a real treat.

For my battleline I’ve been leaning more towards:

• 10 - 20 Mortek Guard

Likely 20x Guard since a small unit would be a weaker objective holder and I’m getting a feeling the OBR should not  try to have cheap throwaway units like other Death armies.  Everyone needs a serious job to do.  I keep flip-flopping on the Deathriders unit sizes  over squeezing in other units.  Too many nice choices for competing missions.

So are you planning on semi-bubble wrapping the Harvester in the smaller unit and throwing them into the enemy?  I suspect the explode-y list on Warhammer Community uses two harvesters so they can better cover the limited 3” bubble.

Yeah that's kinda the plan. I'm definitely not wanting to just throw them away and I may end up swapping the crawler for a second harvester but it's just trying to fit things in for points... Not being able to get the stalkers as battleline certainly hurts a bit in that regard as I'd rather not have 3 units of guard. Will consider some cavalry though as they could be good besides just kersploding.

If I go for two harvesters I'd want 2 units so I wasn't just pinning everything on one unit as I find that is a risky proposition (many a time I've had my key units get stuck somewhere). I'll mostly have to decide on whether I want to build around the 5+ boom for crematorium or build without it in mind and see it as a bit more of a little bonus. As depending on how much you go for exploding attrition really changes how your list will look.

Yeah, I'm having a hell of a time building a list. I really wanted to include a Crawler along with Arkhan, but I'm not seeing any way of making that feasible without sacrificing too much from other areas and while I believe the Crawler is worth it's 200 points, I don't know if it's worth it in an army that needs bodies and CC hammers... but man that thing is incredible at killing support heroes, which are in abundance. 

Arkhan list 1

Spoiler

Petrifex

Arkhan
Liege Kavalos
Soul-Mason

20 Mortek
10 Mortek
5 Deathriders

2x3 Stalkers
1 Morghast Harbingers

Katakrosian Deathglaive

Bone-Tithe Shrieker

Arkhan list 2

Spoiler

Petrifex

Arkhan
Liege Kavalos
Soul-Mason

40 Mortek
2x5 Deathriders

1 Crawler OR 3 Stalkers

Kavalos Lance

Bone-Tithe Shrieker + Carrion

No Arkhan list

Spoiler

Petrifex

Liege Kavalos
Bone-Shaper
Soul-Mason

20 Mortek
10 Mortek
5 Deathriders

2x3 Stalkers
1 Morghast Harbingers

1 Crawler

Katakrosian Deathglaive

Bone-Tithe Shrieker + Carrion OR Predator

Arkhan is a target as people have mentioned, but in Petrifex it may not be as big of a deal.. especially if he's throwing out Carrion to heal and Protection of Nagash. I really want 30-40 bodies to sit on an objective, but 20 could suffice as our CC killing power would increase to remove threats via the Stalkers + Harbinger.

Out of these 3, I really can't figure out what to do.. may have to just leave out the Crawler.

What are peoples' opinions on a handful of generic heroes?

Something like:

Soul Mason - 140
Boneshaper - 130
Leige-Kavalos - 200

20x Mortek spears - 230
20x Mortek swords - 230
5x death riders - 180

stalkers - 200
Harvester - 200
Crawler - 200

Double up on one of the latter to hit 1910?  Or drop the boneshaper for Akhan and up the leige-kavalos to zandros and have 40 points left? Totally fresh to the game, but the boney bois have me so hyped!

I have Nagash and the boxed set so my first list will be: (I haven't built anything from the boxed set yet)

Nagash 880

Vokmortian 180

Necropolis Stalkers 200

Harbingers 210

Mortek Guard 130

Brings me to 1600. Where should I go from here? Perhaps a box of Mortek Guard to fill battleline of 3x10 and a Crawler?

Edited by KK9T

I will go for a super fluffy uneffective Pratorian list, with big daddy, 2 crawlers, 40 spear guards, some cavalry and sarchophagius guy (in one or 2 years when he got a proper release :) but I hate his head, so I will switch it, probably for a Corvus Cabal raven skulls !!

16 minutes ago, KK9T said:

I have Nagash and the boxed set so my first list will be: (I haven't built anything from the boxed set yet)

Nagash 880

Vokmortian 180

Necropolis Stalkers 200

Harbingers 210

Mortek Guard 130

Brings me to 1600. Where should I go from here? Perhaps a box of Mortek Guard to fill battleline of 3x10 and a Crawler?

I'd recommend getting Vokmortian's Retinue so that even if a Morghast or Stalker dies you can bring them back. After that you will need more Mortek Guard or Deathriders to fill your Battleline.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KK9T said:

Nagash 880

Vokmortian 180

Necropolis Stalkers 200

Harbingers 210

Mortek Guard 130

I would build the Stalkers as Immortis Guard to tank for Nagash as well. Nagash can heal them too.

1 hour ago, LordPrometheus said:

I would build the Stalkers as Immortis Guard to tank for Nagash as well. Nagash can heal them too.

Good idea. Nagash would be pretty much untouchable by normal wounds.  Although, in Petrifex, Nagash is already plenty tanky and I might need the Stalkers as a second offensive option besides the Morghasts. 

Edited by KK9T