AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

13 minutes ago, Rivener said:

It’s one of the endless spells, often touted as our best.

Oh the Soulstealer Carriron. 

Well that one triggers as long as something dies nearby during any phase. So it's not per kill like the Harvester. 
The spell can be set up anywhere on the table though.... so you should be able to get perfect placement for it and the 6" bubble is a decent size. 
The sight thing means that you can use this spell to attack squishy casters hiding behind a building. 

I don't think it's a particularity amazing spell. Not sure why people are saying it's the best. 
Maybe good for Nagash to increase his sight? I dunno. 

1 hour ago, Sception said:

I don't think so.  The spell lore is nice to him, especially the shrug + teleport spell.  Multicast arcane bolt lets him bully small heroes, his unbind bonus now extending to dispels lets him drop & recast endless spells with ease, and mortek guard are a solid unit even with only minimal support that, while not cheap, are cheap enough to run a fair few of.  880 is a lot, but if they *don't* faq away his ability to benefit from subfaction rules he'll be right tough with 2+ rerollable armor from petrifex, protection of nagash, & self invocation thanks to warscroll changes.

He's maybe not top tier like he was in the early days of 2e, but he'll see some use and will catch more than a few opponents with their pants down.  Unless I'm adding points wrong, nagash, 3x20 morteks, & one extra support caster of choice will fit in 2k, with enough points spare for your choice of 1 liege kavalos, 1 harvester, 1 crawler, 3 immortis, 3 stalkers, or maybe 2 morghasts depending on support caster choice.  Or get two support casters with points left over for an endless spell or two.

Petrifex
Nagash
Soulmason
3x20 Mortek Guard
Crawler

or

Petrifex
Nagash
Soulmason
Bonesculpter
3x20 Mortek Guard
Spellportals

Both look runnable to me, assuming I'm not off on the points.  I'm working from pretty blurry pics.

You could also switch to 1x40, 2x10 morteks.  Concentrates your board presence in one unit, but shaves points for another endless spell.

Granted I'm no authority on competitive play in AoS.

That is true. 2+ seems really tanky plus he can heal himself...The Tomb Stalkers seem very good, but the Immortis soaking wounds as well seem nuts

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

So far none of the battalions from any dual boxes, like the battalions from looncurse, have been usable in matched play, so I do not expect the one from feast of bones to be either unfortunately. Maybe you can get away with it until the next GHB.

They JUST FAQed the GHB like two weeks ago to allow things like this; there's a screenshot of the FAQ further up

3 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

So far none of the battalions from any dual boxes, like the battalions from looncurse, have been usable in matched play, so I do not expect the one from feast of bones to be either unfortunately. Maybe you can get away with it until the next GHB.

Why wouldn't it be usable? Also as far as I'm aware the battalions from the boxes have been usable since they FAQ'd them back in.

51 minutes ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Oh the Soulstealer Carriron. 

Well that one triggers as long as something dies nearby during any phase. So it's not per kill like the Harvester. 
The spell can be set up anywhere on the table though.... so you should be able to get perfect placement for it and the 6" bubble is a decent size. 
The sight thing means that you can use this spell to attack squishy casters hiding behind a building. 

I don't think it's a particularity amazing spell. Not sure why people are saying it's the best. 
Maybe good for Nagash to increase his sight? I dunno. 

It's because it has a large diameter (~14"),  effects all enemies within the diameter and happens every phase.  You can kill models in the hero, shooting, charge, combat and battleshock phases and again in their melee and battleshock phases.  Having the potential to do mortal wounds to all models in that circle 2/3 of the time can be a lot of wounds.

Plus there can be a lot of healing for Nagash or Arkhan.

Overall for a 20 point spell it is awesome.

30 minutes ago, Emissary said:

It's because it has a large diameter (~14"),  effects all enemies within the diameter and happens every phase.  You can kill models in the hero, shooting, charge, combat and battleshock phases and again in their melee and battleshock phases.  Having the potential to do mortal wounds to all models in that circle 2/3 of the time can be a lot of wounds.

Plus there can be a lot of healing for Nagash or Arkhan.

Overall for a 20 point spell it is awesome.

The other guy's point is that you could just remove casualties from outside 6" 

I agree it's decent... I initially missed that any death within 6 causes wounds to everything within 6.... Ideally you want to place it near a bunch of heroes. 
You get at least 4 phases worth of value out of it, so you could potentially cause 4 mortal wounds against each unit within 6"
A double turn would give you 8 phases of value. 
And because it's soul linked, if it's not dispelled you can always keep it close to your intended targets. 

That being said, high bravery or battleshock immune armies are not likely to take any wounds in that phase. And OBR only have 3 shooting attacks in the whole army so setting up wounds in the shooting phase might be tricky. I'd say realistically you could expect this spell to cause 2 extra MW per turn, on as many units as you can cover in the bubble. 
20pts is certainly great. But it's also useless against Death armies, so will depend on your local meta a little bit. 

So I don't think it's busted.... Nightmare Predator does decent damage too for only 40pts. Seems to be a better version of other similar D3 MW endless spells. And the Soul Linked aspect removed the big downside of endless spells. 

Edited by Inquisitorsz

I suppose there is some gamesmanship that can be done with it. Once you receive and survive a charge you can move the soulstealer behind the enemy unit. Then when you fight first, they can then either remove their models from the front ranks and thus potentially skip out on attacks, or they remove from the rear and suffer mortal wounds.

Edited by Rivener

2 hours ago, Obeisance said:

Hm.

5* 3+/3+ -1 rend 2 damage.

3* 3+/3+ -2 rend 3 damage.

More dice more better on the Morghasts?

Swords only do better against 6+ save, +1 attack makes them equal, -1 rend from petrifex make swords better against 5+ and 6+ without extra attack and they tie with extra attack. And overall morghasts damage output won't justify using them against hobo infantry - they are better suited as hero and monster slayers and that means better saves.

5 hours ago, Rivener said:

I suppose there is some gamesmanship that can be done with it. Once you receive and survive a charge you can move the soulstealer behind the enemy unit. Then when you fight first, they can then either remove their models from the front ranks and thus potentially skip out on attacks, or they remove from the rear and suffer mortal wounds.

Even more fun when the unit in melee is the Harvester. Either he removes them from the front and triggers the Harvester or he removes them from the back and triggers the Soulstealer Carrion. :D 

3 minutes ago, Primes said:

Is the Battalion:

Volk

10 Mortek Guard

3 Stalkers

2 Morghasts

or

Volk

Mortek Guard

Stalkers

Morghasts

I fear its the first but the second one would make it a lot better...

It is 2nd, the picture was somewhere on the previous page(s)

• Like 1

Also guys: Sign up for our Campaign! (The Battles of Week one have been started just now)
We're 22 Players at the moment from all around the world (mostly people from swizz and South Germany but also people from the US, Russia, Canada etc.) 😃

Edited by JackStreicher

Thanks for clearing up the box battalion thing, nice to know, totally missed that.

I am not sure it is 120 points worth, I always seem to lose none or all of my dudes in a unit ;)

I guess you could still take it as petrifex and just miss out on Volk himself, no big deal, his own legion gives him nothing of note anyway. I guess the best value is to stay near morghasts and hope 1 and not 2 dies and lines up with your hero phase, but that is not all that likely, he is not really able to keep up as well and the 8" range is very risky.

Bonereapers are funny with battalions, they are both high and low value due to discipline points. Unlike all other armies who has few sources of CP, that is not the case for Reapers. For the price of the the more expensive battalions you can just about get a wizard who also generated 1 point. Then it provides an artifact of course and this is good if you have someone to use it. 

But it is a tougher choice than usual with 1 hero vs battalion effect + 1 artifact. There are not a lot of super artifacts, but a few really good ones, so 1 battalion is not bad, but I don't think I will ever use a battalion + Katakros, he generates 4 points just by himself and I think points are needed for support wizards and just bodies.