AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

18 minutes ago, Arcian said:

Are you feeling swords, or spears for the mortek in units of 20?

thinking swords, as i don't expect all 20 will reach close combat without losing any models. and with 25mm bases, that already fight in 2 ranks plus the rend is really nice.

But i do prefer the looks of the spears

Edited by Nasnad
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

thinking swords, as i don't expect all 20 will reach close combat without losing any models. and with 25mm bases, that already fight in 2 ranks plus the rend is really nice.

But i do prefer the looks of the spears

I think i'm in the same boat. Since it's 25mm they'll be able to fight in two ranks even with swords?

Speaking of the look: spears are (always)  better on the table! I can't imagine my skeletons  having something else. It is a spear forest!

But, in term of efficiency, I am (unfortunately) on the verge of making all mortek with swords: more versatile, more efficient with 10 or 20 and finaly closer to what I want: a msu od 10/20 stalkers for map control/obj and the rest with big guys/cavalry.

Just now, KK9T said:

I'm waiting to see the sprues, but maybe the Mortek Guard can be magnetized for different weapon choices. 

They are small. It would be possible, I've seen people magnetise really tiny stuff; but there is a cost benefit thing going on. The smaller the contact area the weaker the magnet hold. Furthermore the smaller often the more fiddly it is to achieve, esp if you want to "hide" the magnets from view once the parts are attached. In my  view anything smaller than a Tyranid Warrior is often not worth it with magnets. 

So Stalkers are likely practical and they've a nice chunky core body and arms to work with; Gothizzar harvester is also likely easy to magnetize for the ball or scythe arms. But honestly for morteks I'd wager its easier and more time efficient just to buy more than to break out magnets. 

I do love the look of those spears. I use swords on my unit of 40 Skeletons currently. The arms of the Mortek Guard look a tiny bit thicker than regular skeleton arms, so we'll see if it's worth the effort or not. 

Maybe a bit of a more general question but how do people handle weapon choices on smaller models like the Motrek Guard? People are saying it's not worth it to magnetize, does that mean generally there's a better "overall" weapon choice and people just choose it and stick with it? I'm excited to build them when I get my Feast box this weekend but don't wanna like equip them with spears if it turns out the build I might want prefers blades. 

9 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

Maybe a bit of a more general question but how do people handle weapon choices on smaller models like the Motrek Guard? People are saying it's not worth it to magnetize, does that mean generally there's a better "overall" weapon choice and people just choose it and stick with it? I'm excited to build them when I get my Feast box this weekend but don't wanna like equip them with spears if it turns out the build I might want prefers blades. 

It varies and your budget also comes into it plus your style of play.

At present spears to swords is quite a fine line to draw so many are half and half what they will take. Also you can vary it up. 20 guard with one weapon 20 with the other weapon and experiment and see what suits you and what works. 

Over time steadily growing your collection. A box here a box there it quickly adds up

For more human models, a pair of tiny magnets right at the wrist or somewhere on the handle (for my banners that always break off) tends to look fine. The secret is to not try to conceal it. Just paint it gold or metal like a bracelet or one of the many bands on poles. 

For an entire army though I think it might not be worth the effort though.

What are people's thoughts on the Mortal Contracts spell from the lore in the book?
It lasts the entire game, and it doesn't say you can't cast it on the same unit more than once, only that you can only put it on each unit once per hero phase.
So if you cast it on a unit turn 1 and turn 2, does that mean if that unit does 1 wound to an Ossiarch unit, you roll 2d6 and each 3+ is d3 mortal wounds?
If so, that could be really irritating on big monsters and such. 18" range is a bit of a downside, though, but Arkhan can mitigate that somewhat.

Edited by Skelebags

18 minutes ago, Overread said:

It varies and your budget also comes into it plus your style of play.

At present spears to swords is quite a fine line to draw so many are half and half what they will take. Also you can vary it up. 20 guard with one weapon 20 with the other weapon and experiment and see what suits you and what works. 

Over time steadily growing your collection. A box here a box there it quickly adds up

Yeah budget is being considered so trying to avoid "just have multiples of everything with different loadouts to switch between" haha. I guess at the level I'd be playing at, weapon loadout decisions in my 20+ model units probably won't be the be all end all

1 minute ago, DioRa said:

How do people feel about those greatblades on Mortek guard. It's only 1 in 10 that gets one, no limitation on if the hekatos can have one. Or will people simply skip out on them to speed up dice rolling?

I'm thinking about skipping them, you get +1 to wound, but you lose out on the exploding 6s, or 5s under the spell.

5 hours ago, Nasnad said:

Think the reason they don't have any allies is because of the RD point system, and they didn't want to think about that complexity.

The question still stands about how they work in a GA:death army. If you can still use command points on the abilities, or you just can't use any OBR abilities

The allegiance is what prevents you from using command points. No Bonereapers allegiance, no problems with using command points on their command abilities as far as I'm aware.

4 hours ago, Spears said:

Without the book how does the command point cost of mercenarys actually effect bonereapers? 

It doesn't.

4 minutes ago, Skelebags said:

I'm thinking about skipping them, you get +1 to wound, but you lose out on the exploding 6s, or 5s under the spell.

Good point. Though when it comes down to that spell, I feel like Arkhan can keep up nicely with a unit of deathriders of spears, so that it works within the bubble. And then suddenly spears on deathriders do exploding hits on a 4+, that's potentially a lot of hits on a charge. Still the question if that -1 rend is more important than more hits.

Just a quick question on the Gothizzar Harvester's rule :

OssiarchArmies-Oct28-BoneHArvest23esfe.jpgIt says clearly  "each time a model is slain", not ennemy.  Is it on purpose ? Or will it be faq'ed ? Because it might be good with big packs of Mortek guards (at least on paper) and make a good healing-slow moving army combined with Mortisan and Arkhan.

1 minute ago, Harioch said:

OssiarchArmies-Oct28-BoneHArvest23esfe.jpgIt says clearly  "each time a model is slain", not ennemy.  Is it on purpose ? Or will it be faq'ed ? Because it might be good with big packs of Mortek guards (at least on paper) and make a good healing-slow moving army combined with Mortisan and Arkhan.

Based on what some of the articles have said, it is intentional. Makes mortek really hard to shift.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Harioch said:

It's intentional. The most recent community article even brings up how it works on friendly units.

On 10/27/2019 at 3:41 AM, Fuggorf said:

Just in case I've missed something, we'll only ever be able to ressurect Mortek Guard and the Deathriders yeah? No other units have models with a wounds characteristic of 3 or less?

The designers not on the mortek crawlers makes me think that you can Rez the stalkers and gaurd but with only 3 wounds instead of the full four? The wording seems a little odd

1 hour ago, smartazjb0y said:

... how do people handle weapon choices on smaller models like the Motrek Guard? ...

It's a bit fiddly so unless the options are massively better I consider it more trouble than it's worth. You have to paint and magnetize the other weapons.

If the weapon option turns out to be so bad then rip it off and bung the other ones on.  I am considering doing this with my Bonesplitterz Morboys to change them into Spearboyz.

That's going to be a pain, but it's less effort than building and painting a whole new unit and it will significantly change the role of the unit to what I need.

For bigger models, like Morghast, magnetizing also helps with transportation which is a plus.

• Like 1

It's pretty limited by requiring models within 3" to be slain, not models in a unit within 3". So if you want the rule to work with your Mortek  Guard units casualties you need the Harvester to hug them quite a bit and only take models away from 3" around him.

Edited by Panzer
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Captain Badruk said:

The designers not on the mortek crawlers makes me think that you can Rez the stalkers and gaurd but with only 3 wounds instead of the full four? The wording seems a little odd

No, you cannot bring back a unit with partial wounds. You can heal it (probably what they meant) but not bring back. 

The guard are 1 wound a piece so you can bring those back

The harvester can bring back models with more than 3 wounds because if something with 10 or more wounds dies near it, it heals D6 wounds (so you could, on a roll of 6, bring back a stalker or morghast model) 

You also can't bring back models whose entire unit is completely destroyed