AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

18 hours ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

Am I missing something, or are Immortis Guard terrible? Less tanky than blade-parry Stalkers, WAY less killy than precision stalkers. They get the wound passing off, but unless your opponent has a ton of shooting, heroes can be protected by effective screening.

Which is a shame, because they look much better than Stalkers, IMO.

I ran the math yesterday and they are actually about equal to stalkers in damage output when you take them in Petrifex for improved rend and use their ability to swing with shields 2nd time

My list will probably look something like this:

1x Mortisan Soulreaper
1x Mortisan Boneshaper
1x Liege-Kavalos

20x Mortek Guard
20x Mortek Guard
5x Kavalos Deathriders

1x Gothizzar Harvester
1x Gothizzar Harvester
1x Mortek Crawler
3x Immortis Guard

That's 1950 points and leaves me with 50 points for an Endless Spell of my choice.

For 1000p games I'd start out with:

1x Liege-Kavalos
1x Mortisan Boneshaper

20x Mortek Guard
5x Kavalos Deathriders

1x Gothizzar Harvester

Which would leave me with 30p.

Edited by Panzer

28 minutes ago, Kayzee84 said:

The Reapers of the Dead box has a different warscroll for Morgast Archai. Downloading the rules pdf from that box shows they have a Summon Archai spell that Death Mages know. Anyone else catch this?

It's because it is the original warscroll from the death allegiance good from a long time ago.  They uploaded the wrong PDF. 

2 hours ago, Panzer said:

My list will probably look something like this:

1x Mortisan Soulreaper
1x Mortisan Boneshaper
1x Liege-Kavalos

20x Mortek Guard
20x Mortek Guard
5x Kavalos Deathriders

1x Gothizzar Harvester
1x Gothizzar Harvester
1x Mortek Crawler
3x Immortis Guard

That's 1950 points and leaves me with 50 points for an Endless Spell of my choice.

For 1000p games I'd start out with:

1x Liege-Kavalos
1x Mortisan Boneshaper

20x Mortek Guard
5x Kavalos Deathriders

1x Gothizzar Harvester

Which would leave me with 30p.

You may want to go with a soul Mason over the soulreaper.  I think he's better as his spell is better and he can cast and dispel more.

2 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

Is there any reason to take a Reaper over a Shaper or Mason.  Seems like the healing and supporting wizard roles of the other two are far superior. 

I dont actually know what the Reapers role is. Its like they tried to make him a battlemage or something. He can deal more melee dmg then the average wizard but still sucks at both roles. The Shaper and Mason are far superior as far as wizards go.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

Is there any reason to take a Reaper over a Shaper or Mason.  Seems like the healing and supporting wizard roles of the other two are far superior. 

I think the Mason is the must have out of the three. With the shaper being next to be picked, dependingon how much healing you need.

For example a list with harvesters and an arkhan, don't see much use for the shaper either.

As for the reaper, coolest model out of the three. But he doesn't bring much to the table sadly.

2 hours ago, Emissary said:

You may want to go with a soul Mason over the soulreaper.  I think he's better as his spell is better and he can cast and dispel more.

Oh I'm not going for a min-maxed list. Just stuff I like. The Soulreaper is simply the much better looking model and I prefer having a second melee hero to having one that does damage just via magic. Could always cast the Endless Spell for that.

Edited by Panzer
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, DioRa said:

I think the Mason is the must have out of the three. With the shaper being next to be picked, dependingon how much healing you need.

For example a list with harvesters and an arkhan, don't see much use for the shaper either.

As for the reaper, coolest model out of the three. But he doesn't bring much to the table sadly.

Well for one the Harvester is 200pts. That alone is worth considering Shapers. Then the Shapers give a flat 3 heal/revive while the Harvester needs a 4+ roll and models to be slain within 3" of it. Two very different applications 

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

Well for one the Harvester is 200pts. That alone is worth considering Shapers. Then the Shapers give a flat 3 heal/revive while the Harvester needs a 4+ roll and models to be slain within 3" of it. Two very different applications 

All true, but I think the harvester will help out more in the dmg and is more durable than a shaper. While the healing is on a 4+, there is more potential as he recycles models from any slain friendlies and enemies.

The 3" range on it two is bit problematic. Meaning he'll need to be wedged as close as possible to the enemy and friendlies to maximize the amount of rules.

I will add one more thing in favor of the shaper though, and that he generates an RD point. But then again question is, how many RD points will we need on average during a round?

In the end it will be a case of wait and see. To what works best in practice from paper.

Edited by DioRa

6 hours ago, XReN said:

I ran the math yesterday and they are actually about equal to stalkers in damage output when you take them in Petrifex for improved rend and use their ability to swing with shields 2nd time

I'm doing the math right now and I'm not finding any combination of abilities that gets them near what Stalkers in Precision Aspect can do damage-wise.

7 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

I'm doing the math right now and I'm not finding any combination of abilities that gets them near what Stalkers in Precision Aspect can do damage-wise

They do serve a different role, so hard to compare them. They are more there to protect characters, and be a deterrent for fast character assassin units

So I noticed that the mortek guards on the app have a picture of a unit of 20. While all the other units on the app seem to have a pic with their minimum squad size... I wonder if that lends some credence to their boxes being 20 models? 

Reinforced Battle Shields (6+) Pick friendly OB unit armed with Nadirite battle shields wholly within 24” and visible. Negate wounds and mortal wounds on 5+.

Which units have those battleshields?  Is it only Immortis Guard?

Edited by markymarkka

12 minutes ago, markymarkka said:

Reinforced Battle Shields (6+) Pick friendly OB unit armed with Nadirite battle shields wholly within 24” and visible. Negate wounds and mortal wounds on 5+.

And the liege kavalos and zandros.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, markymarkka said:

The google doc is missing the fact that Reinforced Battle Shields also affects anything with normal Shields as well, so this also affects Mortek and Kavalos. However, it also ONLY affects Mortal Wounds.

Edited by chosen_of_khaine
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

The google doc is missing the fact that Reinforced Battle Shields also affects anything with normal Shields as well, so this also affects Mortek and Kavalos. However, it also ONLY affects Mortal Wounds.

It affects both wounds and mortal wounds, as per the reading here:

(EDIT: THIS IS NOT TRUE, THE GUY MISREAD)

https://youtu.be/Whg32GhCqVE?t=1169

I do have a question about this very spell though: Does this stack with the 6+ after save the whole army gets? So roll for the 5+ and then after roll the 6+ afterwards? (Same question for all the combonations of wound negation there is with the general army trait. 

Edited by Heijoshin
Wrong information