Katakros 
soulmason
20 mortek
10 mortek
10 mortek
Gothizzar harvester 
6 stalkers

both Petrifex of course

feels like a solid base, leaves 270 points spare. Probably want at least one more support hero and then endless spells. There’s at least two lore spells that are worth taking (5++ shrug and 6s explode on 5s). Maybe another harvester.

could swap Katakros for a liege kavalos, Boneshaper and 2 mortek crawlers instead. The Boneshaper and liege kavalos have some of Katakros most important buffs (+1 attack and heal 3), and this way you get to use the Petrifex command trait for a tanky general.

of course, WhatsApp chat pointed out that you can stack the kavalos command ability, so 15 of them can roll 2,3,4,5,etc times on the mortal wounds...

I think Katakros has to be in Mortis Pratoerians, since he has the Keyword right? 

Edited by Neffelo

1 minute ago, Neffelo said:

I think Katakros has to be in Mortis Pratoerians, since he has the Keyword right? 

You can put anyone in any legion, but if they already have a legion keyword they don't get the one you pick.
Effectively, Katakros, etc. can be in any legion, they just only get the legion bonus if you pick Mortis Praetorian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Skelebags said:

You can put anyone in any legion, but if they already have a legion keyword they don't get the one you pick.
Effectively, Katakros, etc. can be in any legion, they just only get the legion bonus if you pick Mortis Praetorian.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. 

Just now, Skelebags said:

And half of his Supreme Lord command ability only affects Praetorians IIRC

Just now, chosen_of_khaine said:

And half of his Supreme Lord command ability only affects Praetorians IIRC

Yes, the +1 save part is only mortis praetorian. Honestly the fact that the banner bearer makes supreme lord affect everything wholly within 36" is pretty damn good.

9 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Katakros 
soulmason
20 mortek
10 mortek
10 mortek
Gothizzar harvester 
6 stalkers

both Petrifex of course

feels like a solid base, leaves 270 points spare. Probably want at least one more support hero and then endless spells. There’s at least two lore spells that are worth taking (5++ shrug and 6s explode on 5s). Maybe another harvester.

could swap Katakros for a liege kavalos, Boneshaper and 2 mortek crawlers instead. The Boneshaper and liege kavalos have some of Katakros most important buffs (+1 attack and heal 3), and this way you get to use the Petrifex command trait for a tanky general.

of course, WhatsApp chat pointed out that you can stack the kavalos command ability, so 15 of them can roll 2,3,4,5,etc times on the mortal wounds...

I don't think this is legal. Katakros has the keyword Mortis Praetorians, so I think he can be only part of that subfaction. So no Petrifex for him, Zandtos or Vokmortian.

46 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

yea against a 4+ save, the stalkers with the +1 dmg and rend will dish out 10,4 average damage, while the Morghast archai with halberds will do 6,6 damage on average. The stalkers can use a point to reroll charge/run and pass terrain, decent. The Archai get a 5+ mortal wound save, -1 bravery aura and +3 movement and fly. You can argue that the Archai also requires to take a bit more damage before they lose output though.

Both units got the Hekatos keyword, so they can use the advance ability and any from a legion, for example the +1 rend from petrifex elite, in case you need -3 or even -4 on the falchions! They also give themselves the 6+ deathless save, and since they enjoy going of on their own at times, this should not be overlooked either.

I might give the slight edge to Stalkers due to sheer output and versatility, the +1 dmg and rend for stalkers is what takes them up so high, as simply rerolls to hit would give them the same output as the morghasts.

Both fun to run next to a harvester as well.

I think I would argue that the Morghast's extra wounds and the higher movement (and defense) would get me to use them over the Stalkers. It's a little too easy to kill 4-wound models before they get in close and are able to attack, especially if the opponent has any sort of ranged attacks with Rend. Comparing the two in a vacuum is like looking at a monster's damage output and assuming that you're going to be able to use their highest profile in their damage table regardless of your opponent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DioRa said:

Yeah posts happened when I was typing xD

But good to know that you can take them in other subfactions, but they simply become suboptimal.

😃

I’m not sure it is suboptimal. You lose the +1 save, but everything in Petrifex gets +1 save anyway, except Katakros - who then gets +1 save when you use Supreme Lord, because he is Mortis Praetorian.

and you’ll always be spamming Supreme Lord because it’s a whopping 36” range!

... It’s really hard not to take Katakros 

Edited by PrimeElectrid

7 hours ago, Skelebags said:

Looking at the Crawler, it says don't use the attack sequence for *an* attack made with the two special ammo types.
Am I right in interpreting that as meaning if you give the crawler +1 attack with the Endless Duty command ability (it says you can use it in your shooting phase and it doesn't call out melee weapons) you would basically just do the special shot twice? 

Since it says you can use it on a model in the shooting phase, I don't see why you couldn't since the special shot has a listed attack value.

1 minute ago, Grdaat said:

Since it says you can use it on a model in the shooting phase, I don't see why you couldn't since the special shot has a listed attack value.

Rereading it I found the part where it says the two special shots can only make one *attack* per battle, so I don't think it works, sadly ;c

The more I look at it, the more the Harvester seems like it's going to be an auto-include since just having it near your own units is going to generate you free models, and can have you effectively recycle your own troops to prevent anyone from dying. It being able to heal characters once the line troops start dying is also pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Skelebags said:

Rereading it I found the part where it says the two special shots can only make one *attack* per battle, so I don't think it works, sadly ;c

Does that mean only one attack with the profile, or keeping the profile at one attack?

I'm honestly not sure how to build the Bonereapers. I have Arkhan and 2 Morghasts laying around, so I'll probably build from there. But as I usually play meeting engagements, its a bit hard to fit the stuff I like in there. I am tempted to pick up some Cavalry and a Harvester and go rather elite.

There are lots of neat units I want to try out, like one or two Crawlers, a Harvester, squad of six Stalkers, etc., but does anyone have any thoughts on a good battleline at 2k? I want to include a unit of Deathriders, so I'm thinking:

20 Mortek w/ Spears
20 Mortek w/ Spears
10 Kavalos w/ Spears

Which comes out to 880. I could drop one of the Mortek to 10 and switch to swords, but even with 3+ w/ rerolls, anything with decent rend will smash them off the table. I've thought about maybe a unit of 40, but that seems like overkill (or is it?)

4 minutes ago, Grdaat said:

Does that mean only one attack with the profile, or keeping the profile at one attack?

I'd actually assume that it means both, you can only make one attack with the profile, regardless of it's attack characteristic, and once you do it that one time you can't do it again.

1 minute ago, Skelebags said:

I'd actually assume that it means both, you can only make one attack with the profile, regardless of it's attack characteristic, and once you do it that one time you can't do it again.

I'd assume it means both too, but I'd have a hard time arguing that against somebody claiming it means you can only use the profile once.

Just now, Grdaat said:

I'd assume it means both too, but I'd have a hard time arguing that against somebody claiming it means you can only use the profile once.

If you were supposed to be able to buff the attack characteristic of those shots, I would think they'd word it as "this profile can only be used once per battle" and not "you can only make one cauldron of torment and one cursed stele attack per battle".

But hey, it's GW.

11 minutes ago, Skelebags said:

If you were supposed to be able to buff the attack characteristic of those shots, I would think they'd word it as "this profile can only be used once per battle" and not "you can only make one cauldron of torment and one cursed stele attack per battle".

But hey, it's GW.

Yeah, these are the same people who gave Katakros overlapping damage profiles, so we can expect a FAQ soon.

59 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

But he does get all the spells from the new spell lore

Yup.  Same for nagash, full lore access, but no longer knows the signature spells of other death wizards.  Which is sad, as that rule was quite fluffy and cool, but so be it.

• Sad 1

Nagash and morghasts going up in points is an absolute joke. 

800 for Nagash was right, morghasts have always felt overpriced with one concession being the +1 attack in grand host making them feel almost worthwhile.

Getting the battle tome and scenery but just feels like death (nagash and morghasts) have got shafted again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Syf said:

Nagash and morghasts going up in points is an absolute joke. 

800 for Nagash was right, morghasts have always felt overpriced with one concession being the +1 attack in grand host making them feel almost worthwhile.

Getting the battle tome and scenery but just feels like death (nagash and morghasts) have got shafted again.

The Morghasts do get better when you put them in perspective with the abilities they now have access to (+3" move, +6" pregame move with a cheap battalion, +1 save, additional Rend), as well as the fact that your healers now heal and resurrect on a flat 3 which naturally favours Morghasts. Nagash however is way overcosted compared to what he offers, and I don't think you'll ever use him to get those points back.

• Like 1

I’ll read the tome in depth once it arrives, just seems quite silly morghasts went down in points in ghb 2019 only to go up in this. In all honesty unbufded moegjasts feel 150 at most. And GW instead of making a horrendous model of Nagash now just make him to expensive to take. 860 why not just whack him back up to 900 and be done with it.

• Thanks 1