AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

37 minutes ago, Emissary said:

Witch aelve s are $60 for 10 so it isn't out of the question.

They've always been that price though, yeah? Seems like they're more an outlier? 

Edit: nevermind. Looked at the other elite army pricing. Big numbers there too 

Edited by Arcian

Yikes on the prices.  Not entirely unexpected, but still, yikes.  I hope they're elite enough to run small, b/c there's no way I'm affording 60 of them any time soon.  No hoard bonus implies they're at least workable msu, though no battleshock & unit wide buffs kind of asks for big units.

No changes to morghast scroll is disappointing.

Also a bit disappointed with Vokmortan.  His rules imply he wants to get in close to enemy heroes, except that his protection and threat against them are super unreliable.  if he pulls off the 5+ dodge great, but if he doesn't he's dead, and even if he does he still has to survive till your next hero phase and successfully cast his spell and roll yet another 5+ to assassinate anything.

That said, he's still a double cast wizard and imposes a -1 to enemy dispel attempts against him, which is almost as good as +1 to cast, so if he's not too expensive in points & the faction spells are good he could still be worth running.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sception said:

Yikes on the prices.  Not entirely unexpected, but still, yikes.  I hope they're elite enough to run small, b/c there's no way I'm affording 60 of them any time soon.  No hoard bonus implies they're at least workable msu, though no battleshock & unit wide buffs kind of asks for big units.

Yeah, I'm pretty glad that I went half on two boxes with someone else in my area. 

2 hours ago, Sception said:

No changes to morghast scroll is disappointing.

Also a bit disappointed with Vokmortan.  His rules imply he wants to get in close to enemy heroes, except that his protection and threat against them are super unreliable.  if he pulls off the 5+ dodge great, but if he doesn't he's dead, and even if he does he still has to survive till your next hero phase and successfully cast his spell and roll yet another 5+ to assassinate anything.

That said, he's still a double cast wizard and imposes a -1 to enemy dispel attempts against him, which is almost as good as +1 to cast, so if he's not too expensive in points & the faction spells are good he could still be worth running.

The morghast scroll is amazing! Did you notice they added three Hekatos keyword?

11 minutes ago, IronfrontAlex said:

The morghast scroll is amazing! Did you notice they added three Hekatos keyword?

No, i did not.  It's nice.  Still with their stats & attacks had been buffed a bit, but hekatos could give them more of a place in the army.  Still skeptical, though.

Taken from the Rumor Thread about the warscrolls. For now from just viewing the individual warscrolls im going to agree for the most part.

'"I'm not an expert strategist/analyst or anything, and until we see all the allegiance abilities and units together on the table it's hard to know how it will work out, but overall I'm not blown away by the Bonereapers warscrolls here. They look decent, but not as good as I'd imagined.

Motrek Guard are probably the best of the lot, and they're pretty good but not incredible. 2 attacks, 3/4/-1/1 (or 3/4/-/1 with spears for 2" reach) per model is basically average offensive output, with natural 6s causing 2 hits. Offensively, they're okay. 4+ saves (3+ in Petrifex), re-rolling when you use a command ability during the combat phase, then a 6+ FNP, so defensively they'll be very good, especially if they get re-rolls. We have yet to see just how many command points the faction will be able to generate, but presumably they're going to need a lot (especially if they're running multiple blocks of these). Just how tanky they can be will come down to how often they can activate the ability. 4" move is very slow, though. It'll come down to points, but these look like a very nice anvil to make up the backbone of an army.

Stalkers look more fragile than I imagined. For an elite unit that comes in 3s, 4 wounds on a 4+ save with no re-rolls isn't much to write home about. Even on a 3+ in Petrifex, they're going to die pretty fast if they get charged by something serious (or against many units that can fight first). And with 6" move, they're not going to zip across the board. They'll certainly kill stuff on the charge, though, so re-rolling charges could be helpful (again, this army is going to need a lot of command points). Point cost on these guys will have a big influence. You're almost certainly going to want to run them in units of 6.

Morghasts haven't changed, so they're still not good. Bummer, as the models are awesome.

Vokmortian is... interesting. He's fragile, slow, and his abilities mostly rely on him being in melee range, which is bad. His 5+ to force a model within 3" not to attack him is fun fluff, but not reliable enough to be useful, and the bravery debuff is... whatever. The spell will, I'm sure, ruin the day for someone somewhere by outright killing Morathi or something, but without the ability to extend the range it's almost never going to come into play. He's clearly meant to be very gimmicky, which some will love, but really his value is just being a double caster/double unbinder with enemy wizards getting -1 to unbind his spells. He's hard to judge until we see the full spell lore, but a double caster/double unbinder is almost always useful.

So yeah, interesting. For all the garment rending people are doing over how OP the Bonedaddies look, the warscrolls don't look crazy. I'd say they're above average. I'd be happy to hear other thoughts, of course. Entirely possible I'm missing things.""

• Like 1

Not knowing points yet it is hard to say if the units we see on the warscrolls are "worth it" but I do think they look just fine so far.

Mortek Guard look good, tough and with access to a nice command ability, exploding hits and weapons based on squad size. Their Banner is giving +1 to run and charge is also great. A bit odd with the great blades, they seem a bit weak to even bother with mixing attack profiles, but nothing prevents the Hekatos from being the one taking a greatblade, so it is better than nothing I guess.

As for stalkers their saves and wounds are completely in line with similar units of other armies, yet they have a nasty damage output and the command ability to pass through terrain and reroll runs and charges, that is nice. I am fine with Morghasts as they are, the warscroll itself was never bad, they just did not really get anything from their allegiance abilities, they will now. Both stalkers and morghasts got the Hekatos keyword too, so they pass around the 6+ save to themselves without needing hero support and whatever else a "Hekatos" might be able to do.

I am not all that impressed with Volkmortian, other than being a 2 cast wizard and having his spells being -1 to unbind, the rest is rather gimmicky and hard to use and incredibly unreliable. 

The endless spells are ok, although I suspect the most commonly used will be the shrieker, but the predator is ok as well. The bird seems rather pointless though.