AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

We need to see all the command abilities and some general traits to begin truly judging, but as is, the +1 save looks inredibly good, while the -1 bravery aura from the Mortis praetorians looks absolutely garbage compared to the rest. However then we throw in all the other stuff, like Katakros himself and also the moutned character being from the Praetorians will mix things up, especially Katakros as they show giving +1 to save as well in addition to the +1 hit for his own legion in a 18" bubble for an entire battle round, that is absolutely crazy value for 1 CP.

The command abilities seem powerful and important as well, just imagine a blob of mortek guard protecting Katakros with the command active and their shield wall, and ALSO the option to get reroll to hit after an opponent charges. They will have 3+ rerollable saves, with +1 to hit and rerolls to hit, super scary to run into those guys!

I am so excited to see more about Katakros, it sounds like he is a support buffer, probably CP battery and such as default, and gets more combat oriented when damage which sounds like an awesome mechanic, only really seen anything remotely similar with Morathi who can drastically change role and abilities during a combat. On his account alone we will probably see a lot of Praetorians, possibly also if the mounted character is good as well.

The most boring is the null myriad by far from the looks of it and the one I doubt we will see a lot is the Ivory host, while it is more interesting, it is sort of unreliable and not even that useful, the command trait looks really poor as well (each hero phase get +1 attack to profile on a 5+ roll), that is so unreliable and it does not even look like there will be a really hard hitting commander regardless.

Speaking of heroes, it looks like the only martial/combat hero is the cavalry hero, and I do not expect him to be much different from something like a Knight of shouds on steed, so will artifacts and traits with a focus on the hero's combat abilities will probably not be all that useful, but I might be wrong though. I would fully expect anyone to want a real powerhouse general will have to look at Katakros or Arkhan/Nagash, but these guys make command traits and artefacts a moot point anyway.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Kelly said this in the interview:

Prime wraithbone -> contast paint orange/red -> drybrush black

Just found another cool example, using the new techinical paints, thinned down 50/50.

A little drybrush or highlight on the bone, it could give a nice glowing effect

nkhiw8g0tde11.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Souleater said:

I would not have thought to flip it round like that! 

Thank you.

Where there are bigger crevices on the model (like eye sockets) you may also want to add brighter color in the middle to show the source of glow and intensity

• Thanks 1

They have at the very least confirmed the Mortek Guard and the Stalkers for next week, if the leaks in the rumor thread are true, then just about everything else will be for preorder next week, but I do not trust that completely. 

It would be nice though, I am not a fan of staggered releases, often I want to set up a specifik 1k force to start things of with and paint up, and delivery costs etc make it annoying having to split things up, when you are too impatient to wait for it all to be out ;)

6 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

Anyone think they might look good if painted metallic, silver, copper or maybe oxidated bronze?

Like fantasy necrons? Honestly, yeah I think they would look pretty cool! I'm still struggling with my scheme ideas too. Trying to decide if blue glowing bone color skeletons would look good, or if i should go with that black bone and blue.

I'm a big fan of oxidated bronze

Edited by Arcian

40 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

Anyone think they might look good if painted metallic, silver, copper or maybe oxidated bronze?

That would make for a great Chamon based Bonereaper army, yeah.

Also we got info on the Endless Spells:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/25/rules-preview-new-endless-spells-and-scenerygw-homepage-post-3/

2 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Love the Endless Spells. Finally more than just mortal wound spam and the one that does spam mortal wound is a bit more interesting compared to other Endless Spells due the Soul-Linked thing where the Caster keeps control but can't cast other spells as easily anymore.

Even though we already knew the terrain rules, I think the -1 to both cast and unbind on enemy wizards will be the go to if the enemy has any kind of half decent casting and you have a wizard in your army as well, as -1 to both casting and unbinding is rather crippling and also goes of on a 2+ rather than 4+. 

Soul Link is an interesting mechanic and can make predatory spells more fun. I hope the bird has something more going for it, at least some interesting synergies with line of sight will be needed for it to be of any use at all. If it said that anything visible to the bird was visible for all bonereapers, I could imagine it working out well for other casters or the catapults or something, but it only benefits the caster, who is now also at -1 cast from being soulbound, sounds very niche at first, but maybe it has more rules yet.

Edited by Scurvydog

12 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Even though we already knew the terrain rules, I think the -1 to both cast and unbind on enemy wizards will be the go to if the enemy has any kind of half decent casting and you have a wizard in your army as well, as -1 to both casting and unbinding is rather crippling and also goes of on a 2+ rather than 4+. 

Was the other 2 effects

2+ deal 1 mortal wound 36"

4+ cannot run and only charge 1d6 wholly within 18"

Edited by Nasnad

38 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

Was the other 2 effects

2+ deal 1 mortal wound 36"

4+ cannot run and only charge 1d6 wholly within 18"

Yes

Overall, I'm happy with the endless spells.  The soul-linked mechanic is nice and I'm glad it has a drawback.  The pillar is nice but surprising that it's the 3rd thing spoiled that increases the model's attack.  Also, the enemy has to be within 12" and not the bonereaper.  The skeleton is great also and doing 3" wounds to everything within 3" is pretty far away.   The bird is meh so far.  Good to get LOS, but only works for the caster.  Looks like something made for Nagash or Arkhan, but not much else (and then the casters have a -1 to cast)

Edit:  Evidently the system doesn't like "model's" followed by a space and then "hit".

Edited by Emissary

I would be surprised if the LoS thing is the only thing the bird does, but for now, yeah, right now the least useful out of the three.

Otherwise, pretty decent stuff.  I agree that the terrain's anti-caster ability is the best of it.  Yeah, in most games that's all it will do, and if that's all it does in a game then that could be somewhat underwhelming for such a large and imposing model.  It's certainly no where near as game-affecting as the legions' gravesites or the skaven's gnawholes.  But still, decent, and a good enough 'counts as' use for a casket of souls for tomb kings players looking to use the bonereaper book as updated rules for their existing models.  Bringing back the old list, we've got:

casket -> terrain
carrion -> bird spell
catapult -> catapult
tomb guard -> infantry
necroknights -> cavalry (pushing it base wise, but probably the most workable fit)
ushabti -> stalkers
bone giant -> harvester
various heroes -> various heroes

If there's ally overlap with deathrattle you can add:

skeleton warriors -> skeleton warriors
skeleton horsemen -> black knights
tomb king/prince -> wight king

The main things missing are archers, which unfortunately I doubt we're going to see, scorpions, old stalkers, sphinxes as there are no big non-flying undead monsters in any faction (though zombie dragon stats work well enough for necrosphinx), tomb swarms (though bat swarms work if they can ally in) and chariots.

Admittedly chariots are a pretty essential part of the tomb king identity and most any existing tomb kings armies.  The mounted hero is big enough that you could reasonably use a royal chariot as that, or settra as the named version, but the cavalry are probably too small to work as chariots.  Here's hoping the ossiarchs are more enthusiastically embraced by the wider community than they have been online, such that GW might see fit to expand on them in the future.  Archer infantry, a dracoth style unit on larger steeds similar to those of the heroes, and a large non-flying monster would go a long way towards fleshing out the above list.

15 hours ago, angrycontra said:

While I do like those bonereapers subfactions I can't shake off the concern I have for them. +1 save for whole army is ridiculous power.

It's entirely possible, likely even, that there are mitigating factors, perhaps even that the other rules or point costs were made knowing that this option would be the default for many players.

For example, maybe at first the whole army had better saves but the decided to take a pip away that could be re-added through this option or not added as a trade-off to get other perks from the other Legions/hosts.

In other words, let's not overreact.