AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

29 minutes ago, Major said:

Australian Prices:

image.png.aa7d88604d960711c90c0dab38d29659.png

Does $320 seem fair for that kit?  Feels like with the Ogres it is a bit light on models total but I haven't purchased a box set from GW for about 3 years so out of the loop.

The dice are a definite pass for me but I will be grabbing the book and warscrolls before deciding on whether to buy into the army fully.

21 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

According to the AUS site the new 40k set is $390 AUS and Soul Wars is $220 AUS, and Wrath and Rapture is $265 AUS...so guessing Feast of Bones might be like $200ish USD or something then? Some kinda inconsistent exchange rates it seems

GW Take advantage of loopholes in laws here in Australia that allows them to charge basically whatever they like so Australian prices are generally higher than what US and UK pay (even after conversions). NZ is hit even harder again.

7 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

It‘s not only an opinion it‘s experience. I can‘t use my Idoneth dice since even in friendly games ALL my opponents asked me kindly to use others since they can‘t easily and quickly realize what numbers they show. But do whatever you will, I am not here to fight advise-resistance.

To be fair the Idoneth Deepkin dice really are horrible to read. They are transparent and use a bunch of parallel wriggly lines. It's like the Blood Angels Dice are really easy to read from a distance but the Space Wolves dice aren't. Just because both have a custom look doesn't mean they are equally hard to read.

• Thanks 1

I kinda like the dice, but at the same time I would've prefered them to have dots from 2 to 5, oh well, I'll get just one set of them, since I'm already stacked with Malign Portents dice which are the best dice imo. 

And right now I regret buying Cities of Sigmar battletome and start collecting instead of saving this money for bonereapers

57 minutes ago, XReN said:

I kinda like the dice, but at the same time I would've prefered them to have dots from 2 to 5, oh well, I'll get just one set of them, since I'm already stacked with Malign Portents dice which are the best dice imo. 

And right now I regret buying Cities of Sigmar battletome and start collecting instead of saving this money for bonereapers

don't worry, GW is confident they'll get all your pennies

• Haha 1

Australian Prices:

image.png.aa7d88604d960711c90c0dab38d29659.png

The "good" news is that this box is a less expensive than the Blood of the Phoenix (AUS $390).

The bad news is that we're facing a global price increase because wrath and rapture was AUS$265 meaning that the new box is somewhere in the middle.

That put the box around £120.

GW products become regularly more expensive and that will continue as long as people are willing to buy their products. Not sure why people are surprised by it every time.

Vote with your wallet and if you aren't in the minority GW will listen.

• Like 4

When you work out the price of contents of the box at the likely prices GW will set for the models based on the current prices they charge for things then £120 is still giving you around 50% off the GW retail price for the products; which is a very good deal. The sting of the price is more present if you only want one half of the box and can't find someone to split it with. 

It's a balancing act between making the box full of more models and the price of the box itself. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Overread said:

When you work out the price of contents of the box at the likely prices GW will set for the models based on the current prices they charge for things then £120 is still giving you around 50% off the GW retail price for the products; which is a very good deal. The sting of the price is more present if you only want one half of the box and can't find someone to split it with. 

I don't know about your math but I'm calculating max £85 on both sides => total £170. So, it is more likely a 30% rebate.

4 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I don't know about your math but I'm calculating max £85 on both sides => total £170. So, it is more likely a 30% rebate.

Ossiarchs: 

36 morghasts

30 stalkers

30 troops 

25 leader

total £120 

Though Ogors do come closer to £85. 
Plus there's the cardstock which is at least £10 in there.
Granted those are "worst case" prices on all of them, but they are in line with roughly what GW charges for those kinds of model from other forces. Heck DoK are still playing £35 for basic 10 witch troop sets. 
So might not be 50% but not 30% either- somewhere between the two. Either way its still a significant saving on the price. 

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I think Ossiarchs are like this:

- Morghasts: £36

- Mortek Guard: £25-30

- Stalkers: £30

- Master of Bone-Tithe: £15-20

Total: £106-116

These guesses are based on similar units with similar size and options.

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Not sure about this. We know the price of Morghast Archai (£36) so that leaves guesses for the other stuff:

Necropolis Stalkers - let's say £25, like Tzaangor Enlightened.
Mortek Guard - probably £22.50-£25 for 10.
Vokmortian - large hero, so probably £22.50

That would bring the Ossiarch half to about £106.

3 hours ago, Panzer said:

GW products become regularly more expensive and that will continue as long as people are willing to buy their products. Not sure why people are surprised by it every time.

Vote with your wallet and if you aren't in the minority GW will listen.

I'm always leery of the phrase "vote with your wallet".  On the one hand, yeah, you shouldn't buy products, especially hobby/luxury products, that you don't think are worth the asking price.  But it isn't a system that on its own can be relied upon to produce the best results for the most people, because in that system those with bigger (or looser) wallets get more votes.  That's exactly the reason both the mobile and the AAA video game industries are in such a mess right now, as games that are deliberately bad in manipulative ways are able to wring more money out of the small handful of people with too much money or too little impulse control than games trying to be actually good are able to non-coercively earn from a broader base of satisfied customers. 

But now this post is in danger of veering into discussion of the fundamental contradictions between capitalism and democracy, which is both off topic for the thread and, as a political issue, way off topic for the entire board, so... *shrug*.

Anyway, yeah, if you don't think GW products are worth buying, then don't buy them, of course.  But if you do think GW is gouging their customers there's no reason your objections should have to start and stop with purchasing decisions.  Public complaining about stuff also matters.  Complain on social media, signal boost competitors that you think offer similar products for better prices, find and support independent retailers that will let you play on their tables with whatever models you like, etc.

For the record, I'm not sure I personally agree that GW *is* gouging.  I look at competing model lines and mostly find stuff that is either similarly priced or of significantly lower quality in build materials, sculpts, or both (so long as we're talking about GW plastics, the few remaining finecast models are something else).  Granted, competing product prices might also be artificially inflated due to GW's outsized influence on the relatively small minis game market.  But even in tangential markets like plastic mecha model kits the comparisons still mostly hold out.  Also most other games don't expect you to use as many models on the table at a time, but even GW promotes a lot of smaller scale games right now, and has reworked their main games to better support smaller scales than they have in the relatively recent past.  AoS in particular is a lot friendlier to 1000 point games than WHFB was towards the end of its life, particularly with multiple small game variants.

Anyway, point is while GW prices are high, I'm not sure I'm convinced they're unreasonably high when compared to other similar products, but if you are then by all means vote with your dollars AND complain about it publicly. 

• Like 1