AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

I keep telling people, pick an army because you like the looks and lore, not because it's strong right now. The competetive-ness of an army can do a 180° whenever GW decides to but it's unlikely they'll retcon the lore or trash the models to completely reinvent them anytime soon.

Unless of course you are a hyper competetive player and don't care to burn money chasing the meta.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Panzer said:

I keep telling people, pick an army because you like the looks and lore, not because it's strong right now. The competetive-ness of an army can do a 180° whenever GW decides to but it's unlikely they'll retcon the lore or trash the models to completely reinvent them anytime soon.

Unless of course you are a hyper competetive player and don't care to burn money chasing the meta.

I've seen it a few times where online everyone is convinced that an army is super weak. Then someone goes and wins a major event with them and the whole net jumps head over heels to prove how this, only the day before, mathematically weak army is now broken and OP. 

Which is to say that the mathematics are there and are important, but so too is control of the maths - ergo how an army is played on the tabletop. 

And yeah many armies jump  over and over in power and online often reports things into the extremes. So an army can appear "trash" when its just not the top of the power curve in typical mathhammer etc... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panzer said:

Yes and no. 

It can quickly be disappointing to pick an army that isnt much fun to play as the powercreep sails by

One thing is power creep another and competetive tournament power. Another is just the internal balancing of the book and the options available. Even without considering any other armies or powercreep, the NH book is rather boring and lacks a lot of the element defining all the other 2.0 books, such as "stormhost" equivalents.

The book mentions all these unique flavors of ghosts. Something like the Legion of Grief should really have been in the NH book along with some other variations focusing on different aspects, so it was possible to tailor more interesting lists with specific strengths. My favourite expamples so far come from the Fyreslayers book, where they have made some really interesting twists on the standard lineup of models, like a lodge allowing a small group of heroes to fight at the same time and take more artifacts, and another giving access to more magmadroths and mount traits, now that is thoughtful design. The Flesh Eaters also have some cool options even with their limited roster.

I hope Bonereapers follows that format, I love being able to do multiple things with the same models. The sheer scope of the lineup we have seen so far at least will help with meaningful varitation from warscroll options alone, but if we get the "stormhost" stuff as well, then I will be a happy construct boy.

Honestly I think the biggest thing to avoid is the Slaanesh Demon army issue whereby the options in the book basically push you down one single good pathway (lots of keepers). Instead you want a book that, even if its not at the top of the power curve, offers variety and choice within the faction. Ergo letting you have viable variety of building options without huge power swings between the options. That way it rewards people building different styles of army and also rewards different purchase choices and has the greatest chance of meaning that most models within the army have a niche where they work well. 

Otherwise you can end up a bit like slaanesh where the "build" is "all leaders" and that steers you toward keepers. Meanwhile troop or cavalry heavy options are out; fiends find it hard to find any place where they shine etc... And its not that a troop and fiend heavy list wouldn't work its that it wouldn't work significantly as well as a list chock full of depravity generating keepers all working toward summoning more leaders and keepers. 

Edited by Overread

1 minute ago, Panzer said:

The Slaanesh problem is mainly due how their Depravity Points system works. If only your characters can generate those then you obviously want to take as many as possible so you can use it properly.

Exactly, otherwise the balance in the book isn't too bad. It's purely how it revolves around depravity generation. Hopefully Bonereapers won't suffer the same problem. 

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

One thing is power creep another and competetive tournament power. Another is just the internal balancing of the book and the options available. Even without considering any other armies or powercreep, the NH book is rather boring and lacks a lot of the element defining all the other 2.0 books, such as "stormhost" equivalents.

The book mentions all these unique flavors of ghosts. Something like the Legion of Grief should really have been in the NH book along with some other variations focusing on different aspects, so it was possible to tailor more interesting lists with specific strengths. My favourite expamples so far come from the Fyreslayers book, where they have made some really interesting twists on the standard lineup of models, like a lodge allowing a small group of heroes to fight at the same time and take more artifacts, and another giving access to more magmadroths and mount traits, now that is thoughtful design. The Flesh Eaters also have some cool options even with their limited roster.

I hope Bonereapers follows that format, I love being able to do multiple things with the same models. The sheer scope of the lineup we have seen so far at least will help with meaningful varitation from warscroll options alone, but if we get the "stormhost" stuff as well, then I will be a happy construct boy.

I agree with what you are saying. Sometimes it seems GW doesnt think stuff through as well. When idoneth deepkin were announced I loved the idea of running foot troops, but the fact the troops were too fragile and on 32mm bases made lots of my games quite one-sided. Stuff couldnt get in range of combat or would die to a breeze. Many people shared this issue it seems, hence nowadays you mainly see eel spam lists as a result.

Maybe bonereapers will have plenty of playstyles available so you won't see 1 dominant list emerge and nothing else being even close to that list. Given how GW handles rules that may not come to pass though, but until they are released one can only hope.

We have also had no rules reveals yet and they're meant to be up for pre-order at the end of the month. Would have thought at least one unit would have been previewed to spike peoples interest.

Edited by El Syf

Just now, Nasnad said:

So if they go on preorder the 19. we should be seeing some teasers next week?

Yep. I believe the schedule is Sunday they say "hey next Saturday preorders open up for this cool thing" and then throughout the week they post previews, and then preorders open up Saturday. 

I fully expect next week's preorders to be the last 2 space Marine chapters and the remaining unreleased models, then the bonereapers to go up for preorders the week after.  It would mean we would start getting previews a week from Monday ahead of the Saturday preorder.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

With the showing of the mounted general, i think that is a sign that they will be next.

One can hope.  I know I would like it to be that way.  I have a ton of money saved up for them so my son and I can team up with his LoN.  I'm just not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Nasnad said:

With the showing of the mounted general, i think that is a sign that they will be next.

The last space marine release is confirmed for October and Ossiarch will be a multiweek release. With only two preorder weekends left in the month it’s either:

A: Ossiarch week 1 on the 19th followed by Space Marines on 26th and the rest of the Ossiarch in Nov.

or

B: Space Marines on the 19th with Ossiarch on the 26th and beyond.

B sounds a lot more reasonable to me.

4 hours ago, Overread said:

If models come out on the 26th I'll be very happy because that's the same date as my local store Anniversary event so I can not only get a load of Reapers, but also pair it with a nice few extras and such!

What anniversary goodies are going on now?

@Overread PM inbound. 

Edited by Vasshpit