AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

I feel ya on going ham with preorders, I did that with nighthaunt, but I don’t regret it. For the Ossiarch I’ll be traveling for the two weekends I expect them to be rolling out on, so at least I’ll be safe from going too heavy on the preorders and just getting the book till I get home.

Right now I'm trying to save up for a bulk order on the 26th as that's when my local is having its anniversary event so I figure getting free stuff more than covers the price difference over going to 3rd party stores. Though I'll likely grab the Battletome if it comes out way before that date so I can pour over it and get an idea what I want to buy.

It's a pass for me. I think I've pretty much decided to go with Nighthaunts instead of Bonereapers as my DEATH army. It would require just too much conversion work for me to even just like them.

Maybe one day a small warband or something though.

• Thanks 1

I need rules points and prices before I can make any firm choices. 

Things like infantry its hard to choose because they can wind up costing a lot if you need many of them or for varied weapon options. Meanwhile things like the trebuchet look awesome, but until you know the points its hard to make a choice. If it winds up 500 points or something insane like that then 1 is likely the most you'll ever get to use in most games; of course the other extreme is it ends up being 100 points and then taking four or five is a high possibility. 

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

I need rules points and prices before I can make any firm choices. 

Things like infantry its hard to choose because they can wind up costing a lot if you need many of them or for varied weapon options. Meanwhile things like the trebuchet look awesome, but until you know the points its hard to make a choice. If it winds up 500 points or something insane like that then 1 is likely the most you'll ever get to use in most games; of course the other extreme is it ends up being 100 points and then taking four or five is a high possibility. 

Celestar Ballista to the rescue!

3 hours ago, Sception said:

I'll definitely be getting some bonereaper stuff.  Apart from the book, I'm not sure what though.  Waiting on points & rules before I decide.  Hopefully there's a functional Arkhan list to be had out of it.

It’s a weird design space to include Arkhan and Nagash as what kind of caster could you include that would make a difference in that environment?

I have to guess that they won’t be as powerful as the big two, so they’ll either have to provide some other form of support (rezs, buffs, etc) or maybe the primary buffs for the army will focus on prayers rather than spells.

I just hope the boxes will be reasonably priced. I am ok with the heroes being on the expensive side, but GW has a tendency of charging a ton for the battleline. Also hoping they dont pull the trick where 2 boxes can finish 1 unit due to lack of enough special weapons per box.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

I just hope the boxes will be reasonably priced. I am ok with the heroes being on the expensive side, but GW has a tendency of charging a ton for the battleline. Also hoping they dont pull the trick where 2 boxes can finish 1 unit due to lack of enough special weapons per box.

I expect a price hike, since they can easily do that with new Models.

As they are "elite stormcast" I'm guessing £35 for basic troops as a cost. Anything less I'll be happy with, but this seems to be where GW is aiming new troop packs. Catapult is hard to price but could be up into the £50 bracket. I'm guessing around the £15-30 for heroes of various sizes with the average being around £20. Katatross I'm guessing will be up near the Greater Demons in price even though he might not be as big he's got a dynamic base and several models on that to make up for it.

Battletome standard prices of £25 regular and £50 for limited (though honestly the only limited GW appears to have tried to make limited is the new Sisters of Battle which has actual additional pages of content not just the bog standard content with a clear front cover). 

Supposedly they're on smaller bases than stormcasts, which means gw might intend them to be hoardy.  Not as hoardy as skeletons, maybe, but still more akin to grave guard than liberators in terms of 'eliteness'.

Which could easily see the infantry unit want to run in blocks of 30 to be effective, needing multiple such units to meet battle line requirements, yet still sold in boxes of ten for upwards of £40.

Edited by Sception

16 hours ago, Panzer said:

It's a pass for me. I think I've pretty much decided to go with Nighthaunts instead of Bonereapers as my DEATH army. It would require just too much conversion work for me to even just like them.

Maybe one day a small warband or something though.

I'm feeling something similar, I don't know if I want an army worth of them. But there are some models that I feel are really awesome.
Maybe something like using them in LoN or something as a component in Death Soup might be it.

I'm going to get them, they look awesome. Never got the chance at the start when Nighthaunt came out, well I did but they came with Stormcast. Everything that gets pre-order I've missed out. Would be nice to actually have a full set up of Death rather than bits and bobs. Next stop hopefully Neferata gets the love that she needs.

7 hours ago, Indecisive said:

I'm feeling something similar, I don't know if I want an army worth of them. But there are some models that I feel are really awesome.
Maybe something like using them in LoN or something as a component in Death Soup might be it.

My problem is similar, I love the big boss so so much, the catarpillartillerie would be so nice x2, but the rest, 😕…. which will make a strange army :)

I like the construct theme and that they are not just skeletons. The Soul Wars story describes a scene where Nagash breaks himself apart and then reforms his body in another place by pulling on all the dead things and bones in the sorroundings and I like that mental image when thinking of the construction of these things.

I for one enjoy the greepy/goofy facemasks, they are a stark contrast to the stoic stormcast masks and is a fun way to show how these constructs of death show more emotion than Sigmars counterparts. The Stormcasts are becoming less and less, their souls diminishing, while the soldiers of Nagash are stuffed with souls, even multiple souls, as a cruel mirror of arrogance and superiority complex, I love it.

I would also have been completely on board with the entire army formed like their mortach, with bone shaping the "perfect" body, an army of statues of perfection bringing nothing but death and horror would also have been a cool theme, but what we got is interesting and varied as well and keeps Katakros very distinguished.

Got some Morghasts on the way already, as they seem to be the only flying options in the army and having access to flying is just about always useful. I will lurk on youtube on preorder day, as the reviews usually pop up early saturday for new preorders, so it should be possible to get a rough idea of what I want to make first, starting with a rough 1k list to begin with.

Edited by Scurvydog
  • Like 2

The price doesn't really affect me in Australia, as we get reemed no matter what.

But I do hope the SC box will at let me finish a decent starter army, alongside purchasing a lord. I am also looking forward to what the dice look like and hope they aren't to hard to read.

12 hours ago, Sception said:

Supposedly they're on smaller bases than stormcasts, which means gw might intend them to be hoardy.  Not as hoardy as skeletons, maybe, but still more akin to grave guard than liberators in terms of 'eliteness'.

Which could easily see the infantry unit want to run in blocks of 30 to be effective, needing multiple such units to meet battle line requirements, yet still sold in boxes of ten for upwards of £40.

On a purely aesthetic level it kind of feels like they should be a bit horde-y? Moreso than the band of stormcasts forming a tight shieldwall or what have you, part of their image seems to be that they're a serious legion, disiciplined ranks of spears and banners, etc. Numbers as well as strength.

That pricing scenario seems unfortunately plausible though, probably pre-rationalised in the army list designers' minds by the likelihood that slightly more affordable cavalry-focused forces or forces built around big dudes will be encouraged as variant playstyles.

10 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Still on the fence myself.

Still stinging from Nighthaunt falling by the wayside in the power creep, but keeping an eye on these guys

I fell into the NH trap myself, but this army looks much better defined, and the NH book has been the only really bad book in AoS 2.0, as it looked like a prototype of better things to come for other armies.

All units for th Bonereapers seem to fit into proper battlefield roles, like cavalry, mounted commanders, wizards, infantry with 3 different equipment options, tanky elites on foot, punchy elites on foot, flying elites, ranged artellery etc etc. While nighthaunt is basically a huge bunch of 1 wound ghosts doing slight variations of the same thing.

The nighthaunt tome seemed to have been changed or gone wrong somehow, with odd kits being released, strangely with named heroes on the boxes being standard heroes, and unit types only available in hero boxes and such. I suspect this new model line is vastly improved to that mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

I fell into the NH trap myself, but this army looks much better defined,<snip>

Here's hoping! I too made the same mistake, picked up NH as my first army last Christmas after they had a solid showing in their initial tournament appearances.  I know better now and will wait for the meta to settle to see if the rules make this army worth buying.  I love Death, but it's pretty bleak these days.  Doesn't hurt that these guys look a little less spindly too :P

39 minutes ago, relic456 said:

Here's hoping! I too made the same mistake, picked up NH as my first army last Christmas after they had a solid showing in their initial tournament appearances.  I know better now and will wait for the meta to settle to see if the rules make this army worth buying.  I love Death, but it's pretty bleak these days.  Doesn't hurt that these guys look a little less spindly too :P

Then there's....

People in December 2019: Bonereapers best army ever. Undercosted. Unfair.

People in July 2020: Bonereapers have been powercrept. Army needs a new tome. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1