AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

Howdy folks, new poster here. I have played Nighthaunt for a while as my first army but am getting into Ossiarch Bonereapers as a second army. 

I've scrolled through the third most recent pages and while I eventually want to have a decent tournament level army in my local scene, I'm starting off building my army slowly. Just ordered a Broken Realms: Horrek's Dreadlance box that is coming in next week. 

My first question here is what do you folks recommend as the weapon option for the Deathriders? I understand the value of -1 rend from the swords, however the spears look enticing to get more attacks in based on the new coherency rules and the ability to get extra attacks on the charge! 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:14 AM, PrussianWarfare said:

Howdy folks, new poster here. I have played Nighthaunt for a while as my first army but am getting into Ossiarch Bonereapers as a second army. 

I've scrolled through the third most recent pages and while I eventually want to have a decent tournament level army in my local scene, I'm starting off building my army slowly. Just ordered a Broken Realms: Horrek's Dreadlance box that is coming in next week. 

My first question here is what do you folks recommend as the weapon option for the Deathriders? I understand the value of -1 rend from the swords, however the spears look enticing to get more attacks in based on the new coherency rules and the ability to get extra attacks on the charge! 

So, the math on Deathriders basically comes out to swords being better in general. On the charge, I think swords are still the same / a little better against most targets, with some rare exceptions (particularly targets not affected by rend or that have such a high armor save that the added rend doesn't matter).

The best case argument for Spears would be in 10+ man rider units where it could allow you to get more attacks in due to coherency. My personal suggestion is that riders function best as 5 man units. They do best as objective grabbers / fighting smaller skirmisher units / heroes IMO. 10 man units become much clunkier due to coherency rules and lack the hitting power to justify their costs.

• Thanks 1

Taking a stupid nagash llist to a tournament next month, not sure how I'll fare but here it is for any advice people have on it

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers - Legion: Petrifex Elite - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line - Triumphs:

LEADERS Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (970)

Mortisan Soulmason (140) - General -

Command Trait: Mighty Archaeossian -

Artefact: Godbone Armour -

Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons

UNITS

20 x Mortek Guard (280)* - Nadirite Blade and Shield - 2 x Soulcleaver Greatblades

10 x Mortek Guard (140)* - Nadirite Blade and Shield - 1 x Soulcleaver Greatblades

10 x Mortek Guard (140)* - Nadirite Blade and Shield - 1 x Soulcleaver Greatblades

BEHEMOTHS Gothizzar Harvester (215) - Weapon: Soulcrusher Bludgeons

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS Nightmare Predator (65)

CORE BATTALIONS *Hunters of the Heartlands

1950/2000

On 10/18/2021 at 2:20 AM, papary said:

Taking a stupid nagash llist to a tournament next month, not sure how I'll fare but here it is for any advice people have on it

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers - Legion: Petrifex Elite - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line - Triumphs:

LEADERS Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (970)

Mortisan Soulmason (140) - General -

Command Trait: Mighty Archaeossian -

Artefact: Godbone Armour -

Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons

UNITS

20 x Mortek Guard (280)* - Nadirite Blade and Shield - 2 x Soulcleaver Greatblades

BEHEMOTHS Gothizzar Harvester (215) - Weapon: Soulcrusher Bludgeons

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS Nightmare Predator (65)

CORE BATTALIONS *Hunters of the Heartlands

1950/2000

I've been thinking about a similar list. So the thing with the Soulmason is that his warscroll spell is sorta a duplicate of the benefit from Nagash's CA, right? So I guess you're just taking the Soulmason for the double cast? But then again, you already have 8 spells from Nagash, and he has the entire lore so... maybe the Soulmason isn't the right choice? Full disclosure, I love the Soulmason model so I thought about including him too, but now I'm re-thinking it.

I'm on the fence on the Gothizzar Harvester for my list, seems awesome and nice to have another monster, but I guess he's really there just to keep one of your Mortek blobs healed up, and I'd guess you're probably most concerned about your 20 man blob?

So I've been thinking about a Boneshaper instead, but I'm not sure he's worth it since you already get some healing from Nagash, so now I'm thinking about taking a hammer-ish unit like Morghasts or Stalkers (probably leaning Morghast Harbringers for the 3D6 charge and seems like they might be slightly tougher), and maybe reinforcing them.

Haven't looked at how the points fall but regardless, I'm struggling to figure out a Nagash OBR list I like!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oggurt_da_bog_zombie said:

I've been thinking about a similar list. So the thing with the Soulmason is that his warscroll spell is sorta a duplicate of the benefit from Nagash's CA, right? So I guess you're just taking the Soulmason for the double cast? But then again, you already have 8 spells from Nagash, and he has the entire lore so... maybe the Soulmason isn't the right choice? Full disclosure, I love the Soulmason model so I thought about including him too, but now I'm re-thinking it.

I'm on the fence on the Gothizzar Harvester for my list, seems awesome and nice to have another monster, but I guess he's really there just to keep one of your Mortek blobs healed up, and I'd guess you're probably most concerned about your 20 man blob?

So I've been thinking about a Boneshaper instead, but I'm not sure he's worth it since you already get some healing from Nagash, so now I'm thinking about taking a hammer-ish unit like Morghasts or Stalkers (probably leaning Morghast Harbringers for the 3D6 charge and seems like they might be slightly tougher), and maybe reinforcing them.

Haven't looked at how the points fall but regardless, I'm struggling to figure out a Nagash OBR list I like!

So, I’ve played with it a little and I don’t think the gothizzar is that great unless you’re taking 2, toying with the idea of dropping it and sticking in some morghasts or stalkers. That 3d6 charge on the morghasts could be really handy but I do worry they’ll die too quickly. 

5 hours ago, papary said:

So, I’ve played with it a little and I don’t think the gothizzar is that great unless you’re taking 2, toying with the idea of dropping it and sticking in some morghasts or stalkers. That 3d6 charge on the morghasts could be really handy but I do worry they’ll die too quickly. 

See, with the focus on monsters getting double points for GHB battle tactics I was thinking it might be worth to have two Gothizzar Harvesters if you aren't bringing Nagash or another monster. 

Hey guys, back from War in the Heartlands this weekend. a 102 players event in Leicester UK. I took my OBR (List is above) but it was in Petrifex - Arkhan, Liege, Soulmason - 30 Mortek, 20 Mortek, 2 x 5 Deathriders, Crawler. I ended up going 3-2, which I was dead happy with. 

Game 1 - Against DoT, Host Duplitious. LoC, Changecaster, 30, 20, 10 Pink Horrors, Cogs & Bridge.

Game 2 - Seraphon, Dracothains tail - Slann, 2 x priest, 10 saurus guard ,2 x 10 skinks, 2 bastiladons, 2 x 3 salamanders 

Game 3 - Idoneth, Dom Hain, Eidolon, Tidecaster, 2 x 3 Ishalen eels, 2 sharks, 1 x 10 reavers, 2 x 10 thralls, 1 turtle 

Game 4 - Lumineth, (+1 to cast subfaction), Teclis, Cathlar, 30 sentinels, 20 wardens, 2 x 10 wardens 

Game 5 - Skaven, Clan skyre, 3 warlocks, 1 corruptor, 3 x 10 acolytes, 4 x 5 acolytes, 2 warplightning cannons, 4 ratling gun teams.

I don't think my list had the tools to beat the DoT, I just didn't have the output to chew through the horrors and my mortek were eaten by ranged output and mortal wounds so that was my first loss.

Lost game 4 to teclis + sentinels, I think if I had played this differently I could of managed a scenario win. 

Great weekend, OBR were a ton of fun to play. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sooper88 said:

Nice. 

How did your Seraphon matchup go?

He was playing dracothians tail and kept his 6 salamanders in reserve. He put his slann in the top elft corner of the board so I didn't have a attempt one shot it with crawler (needing a 10+ to be fair). It let me bully the board turn 1 & 2, one of my cavarly units burned one of his objecives turn two. Turn three he decided to pull the trigger as he was losing too much board space, I'd kept control of turn orrder so it was my turn after he dropped (i had let him go first into 3). The crawler cleared the skink screen that screened the salamanders, I think I lost like 18 mortek to them (they rolled poorly) but arkhan + the 15 killed 4 sallies and at that pointI was controlling 4/5 objectives and he'd lost most of his output. 

7 minutes ago, PrussianWarfare said:

Did you think the Crawler was a worthy investment for the tourney? What would you say was the MVP/LVP units in your list? Nice job on the 3-2 by the way. 

Yes I was very glad I included the crawler in the list. The list struggles to affect the board without having to move the unit to the place to affect it, and my list didn't have that many units to begin with.  Being able to clear a unit tagging one of my units, or being able to reach out a little 10 man 5+ save unit on a objective was fantastic. 

The threat of the one shot keeps people coherency very honestly and it bagged me a cathlaar, a starpriest & a changecaster. 

MVP is a difficult but I'd say it was the mortek blobs. A good range of buffs to apply to them for what situation you want (endless duty, bludgeon or shield wall) incredibly hard to remove with mystic shield and / or reinforced battle-shields with Arkhans healing and descriptively fast with unstoppable advance and a +1 to the charge roll. 

LVP... not really sure, I feel like everything in the list contributed to something.  The death riders out put is underwhelming, but they're 15" move with unstoppable advance + a 1+ to charge roll was really key in a couple of my games. I suppose they would get LVP because without buffs they don't really clear much apart from a 10 man weak screen, but their speed was key. 

2 hours ago, AaronWilson said:

Yes I was very glad I included the crawler in the list. The list struggles to affect the board without having to move the unit to the place to affect it, and my list didn't have that many units to begin with.  Being able to clear a unit tagging one of my units, or being able to reach out a little 10 man 5+ save unit on a objective was fantastic. 

The threat of the one shot keeps people coherency very honestly and it bagged me a cathlaar, a starpriest & a changecaster. 

MVP is a difficult but I'd say it was the mortek blobs. A good range of buffs to apply to them for what situation you want (endless duty, bludgeon or shield wall) incredibly hard to remove with mystic shield and / or reinforced battle-shields with Arkhans healing and descriptively fast with unstoppable advance and a +1 to the charge roll. 

LVP... not really sure, I feel like everything in the list contributed to something.  The death riders out put is underwhelming, but they're 15" move with unstoppable advance + a 1+ to charge roll was really key in a couple of my games. I suppose they would get LVP because without buffs they don't really clear much apart from a 10 man weak screen, but their speed was key. 

Nice, your list looked much more fun to run than Nagash and oops all Morteks so it's good that the Crawler gave you value. I think I would rather run 20, 20, 10 Mortek Guard just for more flexibility on the board. 

Lastly, did the exclusion of not having your Mortek Guard in a Hunters of the Heartlands battalion come up to bite you at all? I was wondering if 2 drop would be a way to go with OBR [Battle Regiment and Hunters] since this isn't an alpha strike army and the Mortek Guard really need the ability to Shieldwall or Bludgeon during combat. 

13 minutes ago, PrussianWarfare said:

Nice, your list looked much more fun to run than Nagash and oops all Morteks so it's good that the Crawler gave you value. I think I would rather run 20, 20, 10 Mortek Guard just for more flexibility on the board. 

Lastly, did the exclusion of not having your Mortek Guard in a Hunters of the Heartlands battalion come up to bite you at all? I was wondering if 2 drop would be a way to go with OBR [Battle Regiment and Hunters] since this isn't an alpha strike army and the Mortek Guard really need the ability to Shieldwall or Bludgeon during combat. 

Fair enough :)

Eermm well if you hunters + battle regiment that's 4 drop no?

I think there was only a couple of times where it became a big deal and I played against a lot of 2-3 drop armies my self so I'm glad I was in the position to give my self the choice as a 1 drop.

3 hours ago, AaronWilson said:

Fair enough :)

Eermm well if you hunters + battle regiment that's 4 drop no?

I think there was only a couple of times where it became a big deal and I played against a lot of 2-3 drop armies my self so I'm glad I was in the position to give my self the choice as a 1 drop.

Sorry, you're right it would go to 4 drops, not 2. I'll keep that in mind about the deployment, thanks!

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers

- Legion: Petrifex Elite

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders

Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)

Mortisan Soulmason (140)

- General

- Command Trait: Mighty Archaeossian

- Artefact: Godbone Armour

- Lore of Mortisans: Reinforce Battle-shields

Battleline

20 x Mortek Guard (280)*

- Nadirite Blade and Shield

- 2x Soulcleaver Greatblades

- Reinforced x 1

20 x Mortek Guard (280)*

- 2x Soulcleaver Greatblades

- Reinforced x 1

5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190)*

Behemoths

Gothizzar Harvester (215)

Gothizzar Harvester (215)

Artillery

Mortek Crawler (215)

Endless Spells & Invocations

Bone-tithe Shrieker (85)

Core Battalions

*Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 1980 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 2 / 4

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 104

Drops: 8

I Will try this in next Tournament.

Double Mortek and double Harverster.

Arkham and soulmason, and one cavalry that give me more map control.

Hi everyone.  

Just looking for some advice against shooting. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the damage to my heroes, especially from some of the new Stormcast rules? Do I just try and roll well? Haha 

Had a good game today against FEC triple gheist, trying Arkhan and Katakros. In the end he only managed to kill a unit of 10 mortek and 1 Archai. The reapers felt strong, even with a slightly odd list. All the summoning helped a lot.

Good day to you dear bone people!

I just stepped into the OBR with Horrek’s Dreadlance as my first box and I am planning to buy the battleforce box. Now i’m looking for some advice on the faction. Should i make the Immortis guard or Stalkers? When it comes to loadouts friends told me to always go for blades. On the big abbomination monster the bludgeons for mortal output. I do love the look of the 2 mortarchs and out of the legions, i really like the Petrifex, Praetorians or Ivory host, although the ivory host has some strange negatives to it. For a bigger army would you advice any of the mortarchs? I know Nagash is popular, but i think i like the idea of a bigger army a bit more. Looking forward to all your suggestions! Thank you.

Edited by That Guy