Still-young

Brainstorming a little with new edition:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Mortis Praetorians
- Mortal Realm: Shyish
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (470)
Mortisan Boneshaper (135)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (280)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Mortek Guard (280)
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190)

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (215)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

I want to play it with each harvester near and behind each battleline so when the time come they can charge if I want. With this display we have a good support in term of healing, buff with katakros and shoting. Infantry + monster under the bubble seems also a good objectives keeper.

Edited by baiardo

26 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Why Archai over Harbingers? I feel like 3d6 charge will be more valuable in getting around Redeploy.

Just.. better durability?

Yes, Archai have a better save against MW, since the great weakness in a low bodies list is lose models every model count and in the strategy of the list I don’t want archai to go wild but remain in formation near some support.

If you play stalliarch, harbringers is certainly valuable, depends what you want to do.

Edited by baiardo

On 7/3/2021 at 6:41 PM, Obeisance said:

So I had my first game of v3 yesterday. We played Power Struggle on the correct sized board and used magic terrain traits. Both of us were two drop and I had first turn.. then lost every single priority roll, regardless of the fact I broke ties.

Game.jpg.a29d7408fe95cd753d4abe822c8c4a51.jpg

Kroak, Astrolith, Priest, other kind of Priest
30 Skinks, heaps more Skinks
2*2 Salamanders
2*1 Salamanders

Arkan, Soulreaper, Leige
2*20 Morteks
5 Deathriders
2 Crawlers
Predator and Shrieker

First turn, Crawler did 15 wounds to the Skink brick and I shot the one on the other flank screening some Salamanders. Not having played in a year and rarely played against Seraphon, this was my first mistake. I should have immediately dropped rocks on the Salamander units. Because the remainder of the game involved them being teleported about, removing Crawlers, running/shooting/charging and generally being a pain in my ass. 

Interesting though, between the -1 cast debuff and Arkhan- Kroak only got 1-2 spells off all game. Conversely Arhan only got a couple spells off all game as well. But I'll take that.

At one point I charged 20 Morteks into a Skink screen. Between Parting Shot and Unleash Hell, I lost 8. On the charge. Really unimpressed with that.

Picking a hero ability at the start of the turn, a lot of the time just gives me an extra dispel. During the course of the game Arkhan managed to heal like 15 wounds and lived the game out.

I liked the change to the way scoring is done. I actually printed up some Hearthstone cards with MTG art for my battle tactic cards and found them pretty easy to complete. Taking Arkhan to fill the monster slot I suspect, might be the way forward for me.. and playing Petrifex again felt good. Having that little bit of extra resilience against shooting is good. 

In the end, I got totally demolished by shooting from Skinks and Salamanders and frankly, my poor target priorty was a major factor. I should have tried to screen teleports better, but I was rusty and well- OBR doesn't have the models to prevent it unless I really turtle up. I was playing into a top tier army, in the hands of a good player, which I think is also a orange/red matchup for OBR in the first place. 

I didn't find the restriction on command abilities as bad as I thought I would. It only really stopped me from having an extra Crawler shot and I only Shield Walled a couple times due to lack of combat. I think Crawlers are a must.  Having to deploy the Nexus in my territory is total ******.

I think the next iteration of my list will be...

Petrifex
Arkhan
Leige: Godbone Armour, Mighty Archaeossian
2*20 Morteks
2*5 Deathriders
2 Crawlers
Shrieker (or another endless spell?)

It's either 2-drop, or I'll take the Morteks out and put them in a Hunters of the Heartland batallion to make them immune to monster rampage. Cause that's extra mortal wounds and they can scream to turn off Shield Wall.

hscards.jpg.206e8b5f843f2fc1f33f05b8117180ce.jpg

I'm surprised you find 2x crawlers a must still after the nerfs they've had (15 points, can only endless duty one and AOD making them really bad against armored targets), especially considering our army really needs more bodies now that we're a lot worse at fighting (can't stack CAs and use the same more than once, which were the mainstays of our power in combat.)

My instinct is telling me that they're a one of in Katakros lists because they can move up with Katakros. I don't think I like them at all with Arkhan in PE lists. I think having the liege sit back with the Crawler is a waste of 400 points when it could be up providing support to the Mortek and Deathriders.

Good battle report by the way. I mostly play against my friend's Seraphon and I can say, from my experience, it is an extremely tough matchup, especially Starborne.

Edited by Sooper88

Yeah, I've only had a single game of V3. I'm assuming that Crawlers stonks with Katacross will go up, but down with Arkhan.

I also didn't realise that he can spam Mystic Shield, which is really good.

With the push to hold one/two/more like 40k, taking and holding is going to be way more important. But with scoring at the end of turn.. less so, I guess.

43 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

What if you built your list specifically to spam Arcane Shield?

Think it's viable as a list concept? I'm trying to find excuses to not borrow a Skaven army.

Screenshot_20210707-121725_Chrome.jpg

List is 5 points over

1 hour ago, Obeisance said:

Think it's viable as a list concept? I'm trying to find excuses to not borrow a Skaven army.

Screenshot_20210707-121725_Chrome.jpg

You only have 2 battleline units.

Is this a change from 3.0?

Thank you for your answer! I don't really like the Katakros model, so if I could avoid bringing it, I would like to do that.

Though I am open to bringing Arkhan! Are the OBR endless spells really worth it now, though? They cost so much in 3rd edition...

Also, Petrifex > Stalliarchs from what I read. Got it, thanks!

1 hour ago, Alaric83 said:

Thank you for your answer! I don't really like the Katakros model, so if I could avoid bringing it, I would like to do that.

Though I am open to bringing Arkhan! Are the OBR endless spells really worth it now, though? They cost so much in 3rd edition...

Also, Petrifex > Stalliarchs from what I read. Got it, thanks!

Bone-tithe is really good, if you can play it, especially if you need to hit hard, if your strategy is to attack the opponent is good.

Predator is a very good hero support removal.

Stalliarch have potential but since the CA requires a mount unit to target, a unit with at least 10death riders is the base. The problem is the coherency rule.

Edited by baiardo

The endless spells cost more, but they also got stronger, particularly the bone-tithe shrieker and nightmare predator, and they no longer impose a penalty on their caster's subsequent spellcasting rolls.  All in all, they do look to be decent options that are at least worth considering even at the increased points cost, though it does make it harder to use them to fill leftover points in a list.

Until my Arkhan arrives and i can start playing Petrifex, i will be trying this list.

On sunday i will be facing Sylvaneth in my first 3.0 battle.

I don't know much about them, but i expect high mobility. So i will be moving forward in a big blob around Katakros and try to break some wood.

Any tips or improvements?:)

- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (470) in Warlord
Mortisan Boneshaper (135) in Warlord
- Artefact: Artificer's Blade  
- Lore of Mortisans: Drain Vitality
Mortisan Soulmason (140) in Warlord
- General
- Command Trait: Katakros' Chosen  
- Artefact: Gothizzar Cartouche  
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (280) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
- 2x Soulcleaver Greatblades
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190)

Units
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (180) in Warlord

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (215)
- Weapon: Soulcrusher Bludgeons

Endless Spells & Invocations
Nightmare Predator (65)

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1955 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

EC8F5DE0-5564-49AD-8AEB-D63494B1831C.jpeg

Edited by Archibald
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

Until my Arkhan arrives and i can start playing Petrifex, i will be trying this list.

On sunday i will be facing Sylvaneth in my first 3.0 battle.

I don't know much about them, but i expect high mobility. So i will be moving forward in a big blob around Katakros and try to break some wood.

Any tips or improvements?:)

- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (470) in Warlord
Mortisan Boneshaper (135) in Warlord
- Artefact: Artificer's Blade  
- Lore of Mortisans: Drain Vitality
Mortisan Soulmason (140) in Warlord
- General
- Command Trait: Katakros' Chosen  
- Artefact: Gothizzar Cartouche  
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons

Battleline
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190)

Units
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (180) in Warlord

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (215)
- Weapon: Soulcrusher Bludgeons

Endless Spells & Invocations
Nightmare Predator (65)

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1955 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

I would like to listen at least how two harvesters work with that list, why?

-support for your grand strategy.

-you can make a lot of extra points with monsters and tactics now.

-can use alpha-pack battalion for advance deployments.

-you can use realm of ghur sinergy with monsters, also you can transform katakros in one.

-provide good resilience in term of healing, yes they can shoot at us but let us resurrect as many as we can.

-bring some kind of autonomy in mid-game

-count as 5models now

Edited by baiardo

On 7/7/2021 at 12:23 AM, Obeisance said:

I really doubt that they intentionally let arkhan multicast arcane shield if they went out of their way to prevent nagash from doing so.  Seems like a build that isn't long for this world.

Hi all, my apologies if this is in the wrong spot!

I have recently gotten into AoS (have yet to play a game, though) and signed up for my LGS's Path to Glory campaign. I really got into the vibe of OBR, and even with the CA problems, I'm down to adopt "early" and wait for the Battletome update.

That said, with zero experience in the game, I'm hitting significant roadblocks in trying to figure out a solid starting list for PtG. We're starting at 600 points, no uniques as Generals.

So far, I've picked up:

Liege-Kavalos

Mortisan Boneshaper

20x Mortek Guard

5x Kavalos Deathriders

1x Gothizzar Harvester

Bonetithe Nexus

My first plan - Boneshaper, 10x Guard, Harvester - feels like it might not "do" anything? So I grabbed the Liege, but then do I just replace the Harvester? Are the Deathriders worth working in at 600 points? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm assuming Petrifex is pretty much the default at this point with the -1 Rend? At low points, I thought Crematorians would be fun, but I worry that they don't have the staying power to stay relevant at higher points. Pretty sure I'm grossly overthinnking this whole thing. lol

Thank you for reading, and all I've picked up from skimming this thread!

15 minutes ago, Keddar said:

I have recently gotten into AoS (have yet to play a game, though) and signed up for my LGS's Path to Glory campaign. I really got into the vibe of OBR, and even with the CA problems, I'm down to adopt "early" and wait for the Battletome update.

That said, with zero experience in the game, I'm hitting significant roadblocks in trying to figure out a solid starting list for PtG. We're starting at 600 points, no uniques as Generals.

So far, I've picked up:

Liege-Kavalos

Mortisan Boneshaper

20x Mortek Guard

5x Kavalos Deathriders

1x Gothizzar Harvester

Bonetithe Nexus

My first plan - Boneshaper, 10x Guard, Harvester - feels like it might not "do" anything? So I grabbed the Liege, but then do I just replace the Harvester? Are the Deathriders worth working in at 600 points? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm assuming Petrifex is pretty much the default at this point with the -1 Rend? At low points, I thought Crematorians would be fun, but I worry that they don't have the staying power to stay relevant at higher points. Pretty sure I'm grossly overthinnking this whole thing. lol

Welcome fellow undead legionary, seems like a good start, if your opponents allow you to play with 5 extra points at the limit, the soul reaper is not the same as boneshaper but can cast a spell and adapt to 1k.

Keep the harvester anyway this year monsters are big favorites.

Petrifex is good, you can go with that legion, easy.

Edited by baiardo

17 minutes ago, Keddar said:

So far, I've picked up:

Liege-Kavalos

Mortisan Boneshaper

20x Mortek Guard

5x Kavalos Deathriders

1x Gothizzar Harvester

Bonetithe Nexus

In terms of pure competitiveness, I would still think Praetorians w/ Kata is likely the "best" build, as army wide +1 save is better than ignore rend. Petrifix elite did just get a boost, but only being able to bludgeon one is going to be a big downside. 

9 minutes ago, Btimmy said:

In terms of pure competitiveness, I would still think Praetorians w/ Kata is likely the "best" build, as army wide +1 save is better than ignore rend. Petrifix elite did just get a boost, but only being able to bludgeon one is going to be a big downside. 

On the other hand, endless duty is also restricted to a single unit per phase, which means you'll have to look elsewhere if you want to give offensive buffs to more than a single unit, which imo raises the value of bludgeon every bit as much as the new restrictions reduce it, if not more so.  And while the petrifex rend malus isn't quite as good as katakros's +1 save, it doesn't use up any of your RDP and doesn't require you to field a near 500 point character.  IMO, petrifex is very competitive with Praetoreans right now, close enough that I wouldn't want to call between them before seeing some real tourney results.

They're certainly both well ahead of the rest of our subfactions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sception said:

On the other hand, endless duty is also restricted to a single unit per phase, which means you'll have to look elsewhere if you want to give offensive buffs to more than a single unit, which imo raises the value of bludgeon every bit as much as the new restrictions reduce it, if not more so.  And while the petrifex rend malus isn't quite as good as katakros's +1 save, it doesn't use up any of your RDP and doesn't require you to field a near 500 point character.  IMO, petrifex is very competitive with Praetoreans right now, close enough that I wouldn't want to call between them before seeing some real tourney results.

They're certainly both well ahead of the rest of our subfactions.

I'm pretty happy to have at least two good legions to choose!!😄

Edited by baiardo
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Keddar said:

games below 1k points have always been tough for OBR.  Our units are all so expensive that it's just hard to get anything going.

That said, our battleline units are pretty solid in 3e - the new coherency rules in particular favor 5 model elite cavalry units and strong infantry units on 25mm bases, so Kavalos Deathriders and Mortek Guard both look pretty good.  I'd recommend starting with a box of each for 20 morteks + 5 kavalos, and throw em in a hunters of the heartlands battalion.  You still need a hero though, and 600 points only leaves you room for a soulreaper, so there you go.  Yeah, it's our least impressive hero, not counting vokmortian, but it's also our cheapest hero, and leading our smallest forces is exactly the one thing it's useful for.  For grand strategy, most of this list is tough battleline models, so 'hold the line' is the obvious choice.

For subfaction, if you have a clear thematic or narrative preference, go for that.  I'm a sucker for arkhan, so I tend to go with Null Myriad.  If you don't have a thematic preference and instead are choosing based purely on mechanics, then I'd go with petrifex for now, provided you can change subfactions later.  If you're stuck with the same subfaction for the entire campaign, then go with praetorians if you plan on adding katakros later and petrifex if you don't.

Final list looks something like this:

Spoiler
- Legion: Petrifex Elite
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:
Mortisan Soulreaper (115)
- General
- Command Trait: Mighty Archaeossian
- Artefact: Godbone Armour
- Lore of Mortisans: Arcane Command
20 x Mortek Guard (280) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190) in Hunters of the Heartlands
Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 585 / 750
Reinforced Units: 1 / 1
Allies: 0 / 100
Wounds: 40

Sadly, my local store's core rulebook order has been delayed, so I don't have access to the path to glory rules.  As such, I don't know if you're really allowed battalions or reinforced units to stat.  If no battalions, just drop HotH for now.  If no reinforcement, then I'd go for 2x10 morteks instead of 1x20.  Honestly, 2x10 might be better at this points value anyway to let you claim more objectives, though it would dilute your buffing ability.

Don't get me wrong - our other stuff, lieges, masons, harvesters, crawlers, stalkers, etc - it's all decent.  Some of it very good even.  But when you're building a skeleton you need to start with the backbone, all the other parts build out from there.  So too with your skeletal army.  Start with our battleline, it really is our greatest strength.  The rest can come later.

Edited by Sception

10 minutes ago, Mikro said:

Hey guys, any ideas for an Ivory Host list? 

Well, imho, it isn't on the list of good legions that I would choose.

unfortunately too many cons in 3ed.

Edited by baiardo