AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

I

3 hours ago, Btimmy said:

I wouldn't believe people who are saying this. Being able to dictate who goes first and therefore guarantee that you don't waste a hero phase with nothing to heal/set yourself up for the double is going to be big. Plus, OBR doesn't gain all that much from extra artefacts/whatever. 

I disagree. Our second artifact can give +1 hit 12 inch bubble.

So I had my first game of v3 yesterday. We played Power Struggle on the correct sized board and used magic terrain traits. Both of us were two drop and I had first turn.. then lost every single priority roll, regardless of the fact I broke ties.

Game.jpg.a29d7408fe95cd753d4abe822c8c4a51.jpg

Kroak, Astrolith, Priest, other kind of Priest
30 Skinks, heaps more Skinks
2*2 Salamanders
2*1 Salamanders

Arkan, Soulreaper, Leige
2*20 Morteks
5 Deathriders
2 Crawlers
Predator and Shrieker

First turn, Crawler did 15 wounds to the Skink brick and I shot the one on the other flank screening some Salamanders. Not having played in a year and rarely played against Seraphon, this was my first mistake. I should have immediately dropped rocks on the Salamander units. Because the remainder of the game involved them being teleported about, removing Crawlers, running/shooting/charging and generally being a pain in my ass. 

Interesting though, between the -1 cast debuff and Arkhan- Kroak only got 1-2 spells off all game. Conversely Arhan only got a couple spells off all game as well. But I'll take that.

At one point I charged 20 Morteks into a Skink screen. Between Parting Shot and Unleash Hell, I lost 8. On the charge. Really unimpressed with that.

Picking a hero ability at the start of the turn, a lot of the time just gives me an extra dispel. During the course of the game Arkhan managed to heal like 15 wounds and lived the game out.

I liked the change to the way scoring is done. I actually printed up some Hearthstone cards with MTG art for my battle tactic cards and found them pretty easy to complete. Taking Arkhan to fill the monster slot I suspect, might be the way forward for me.. and playing Petrifex again felt good. Having that little bit of extra resilience against shooting is good. 

In the end, I got totally demolished by shooting from Skinks and Salamanders and frankly, my poor target priorty was a major factor. I should have tried to screen teleports better, but I was rusty and well- OBR doesn't have the models to prevent it unless I really turtle up. I was playing into a top tier army, in the hands of a good player, which I think is also a orange/red matchup for OBR in the first place. 

I didn't find the restriction on command abilities as bad as I thought I would. It only really stopped me from having an extra Crawler shot and I only Shield Walled a couple times due to lack of combat. I think Crawlers are a must.  Having to deploy the Nexus in my territory is total ******.

I think the next iteration of my list will be...

Petrifex
Arkhan
Leige: Godbone Armour, Mighty Archaeossian
2*20 Morteks
2*5 Deathriders
2 Crawlers
Shrieker (or another endless spell?)

It's either 2-drop, or I'll take the Morteks out and put them in a Hunters of the Heartland batallion to make them immune to monster rampage. Cause that's extra mortal wounds and they can scream to turn off Shield Wall.

hscards.jpg.206e8b5f843f2fc1f33f05b8117180ce.jpg

Edited by Obeisance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Obeisance said:

So I had my first game of v3 yesterday. We played Power Struggle on the correct sized board and used magic terrain traits. Both of us were two drop and I had first turn.. then lost every single priority roll, regardless of the fact I broke ties.

2*2 Salamanders
2*1 Salamanders

Arkan, Soulreaper, Leige
2*20 Morteks
5 Deathriders
2 Crawlers
Predator and Shrieker

First turn, Crawler did 15 wounds to the Skink brick and I shot the one on the other flank screening some Salamanders. Not having played in a year and rarely played against Seraphon, this was my first mistake. I should have immediately dropped rocks on the Salamander units. Because the remainder of the game involved them being teleported about, removing Crawlers, running/shooting/charging and generally being a pain in my ass. 

Interesting though, between the -1 cast debuff and Arkhan- Kroak only got 1-2 spells off all game. Conversely Arhan only got a couple spells off all game as well. But I'll take that.

At one point I charged 20 Morteks into a Skink screen. Between Parting Shot and Unleash Hell, I lost 8. On the charge. Really unimpressed with that.

Picking a hero ability at the start of the turn, a lot of the time just gives me an extra dispel. During the course of the game Arkhan managed to heal like 15 wounds and lived the game out.

I liked the change to the way scoring is done. I actually printed up some Hearthstone cards with MTG art for my battle tactic cards and found them pretty easy to complete. Taking Arkhan to fill the monster slot I suspect, might be the way forward for me.. and playing Petrifex again felt good. Having that little bit of extra resilience against shooting is good. 

In the end, I got totally demolished by shooting from Skinks and Salamanders and frankly, my poor target priorty was a major factor. I should have tried to screen teleports better, but I was rusty and well- OBR doesn't have the models to prevent it unless I really turtle up. I was playing into a top tier army, in the hands of a good player, which I think is also a orange/red matchup for OBR in the first place. 

I didn't find the restriction on command abilities as bad as I thought I would. It only really stopped me from having an extra Crawler shot and I only Shield Walled a couple times due to lack of combat. I think Crawlers are a must.  Having to deploy the Nexus in my territory is total ******.

Petrifex
Arkhan
2*20 Morteks
2*5 Deathriders
2 Crawlers

It's either 2-drop, or I'll take the Morteks out and put them in a Hunters of the Heartland batallion to make them immune to monster rampage. Cause that's extra mortal wounds and they can scream to turn off Shield Wall.

I think this is the most balanced list I have seen. I am torn between this or an ultra aggro Nagash list. 

Do new formation rules impact Kavalos Deathriders' weapon options in your opinion? Isn't it easier to hit with all 5 riders when they are equipped with spears? 3 riders in the front with two of them pointing their bases to the middle so that there is enough space between them to hit coherence? And two Kavalos between these three half way the length of these three bases? Making this way like 1,5 row?

12 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Do new formation rules impact Kavalos Deathriders' weapon options in your opinion? Isn't it easier to hit with all 5 riders when they are equipped with spears? 3 riders in the front with two of them pointing their bases to the middle so that there is enough space between them to hit coherence? And two Kavalos between these three half way the length of these three bases? Making this way like 1,5 row?

5 do not have to be within 1" of 2 models, only one.   The rend on swords is still more important.

14 hours ago, Obeisance said:

2*2 Salamanders
2*1 Salamanders

Arkan, Soulreaper, Leige
2*20 Morteks
5 Deathriders
2 Crawlers
Predator and Shrieker

Petrifex
Arkhan
2*20 Morteks
2*5 Deathriders
2 Crawlers

Arkhan can not take the monster slot since he is also a leader.  He can only do the commander slot.  I'm referring to core battalions.  If you are referring to battle tactics, then carry on.

Edited by Emissary
  • Like 1

So I have concerns build-wise. You need to be able to move out and take enemy objectives. Pretty much everything in the army is slow.. and Kavalos.. are screwed by formation rules.

What about.. Morghast Harbingers? Move 9" with 3D6 charges and can fly. Flight and longer charges will be really useful in getting around Redeploy. They've also got a point reduction to 185.

Spirit Swords are probably the better choice, but I also kind of need something to put down Mawkrushas and such. Mine are assembled with Halberds. With a little buff support, they could be solid?

Doesn't help me vs. Unleash Hell, though.

Edited by Obeisance

3 hours ago, Obeisance said:

So I have concerns build-wise. You need to be able to move out and take enemy objectives. Pretty much everything in the army is slow.. and Kavalos.. are screwed by formation rules.

What about.. Morghast Harbingers? Move 9" with 3D6 charges and can fly. Flight and longer charges will be really useful in getting around Redeploy. They've also got a point reduction to 185.

Spirit Swords are probably the better choice, but I also kind of need something to put down Mawkrushas and such. Mine are assembled with Halberds. With a little buff support, they could be solid?

Doesn't help me vs. Unleash Hell, though.

I love my harbringers with halberds.   Underrated unit.  The -1 ld aura on them is also great with the bone tithe shrieker.

Also remember the new boards are smaller and you start closer now

I expect 5 model kavalos units will be a bigger thing this edition.  Small enough not to worry about the new coherency rules, fast enough to get to objectives without relying on the now-restricted +3" move ca, tough enough to take a hit, especially with petrifex and/or mystic shield.  They're no blood knights, which is a shame because they cost the same points, but you work with what you've got.

I'm thinking to build an hyper-aggressive 4fun morale bomb with mortis praetorians,

I've in mind something with:

Katakross 470

Soulmason 140

Vokmortian 155

1*20 mortek 280

1*10 mortek 140

2*2 harbringers 370

1*3 immortis guard 190

1*5 riders 190

Horrorghast 65

Too bad I can't play Predator, in this list could be super strong

Edited by baiardo

With a team tournament next month, I'm kinda stuck with OBR. I don't have time to learn a new army AND a new edition. I kinda have to try to make the most of it.

I've been brainstorming all day, trying to come up with some workable ideas. 

a) Arkhan in Petrifex, what I'm presently playing. Basically dudespam, catapults and magic denial.

b) Katacross in Praetorians. Pre-AOS3 build with Katacross as a damage amp, catapults.

These were the lists I'm used to, but the more I think about it- the more I think I need to be more aggressive. Maybe two catapults isn't the answer. Especially considering I can't Duty them both anymore. Maybe one Catapult to assassinate characters and delete screens.

Petrifex Elite
- 1 drop, 2000pts
Arkhan
Leige Kavalos: Mighty Archaeossian, Godbone Armour, General
20 Morteks
20 Morteks
10 Morteks
10 Morteks
5 Deathriders
5 Deathriders
Crawler
Burning Head

More aggressive, more dudes, single drop, 10 drops to babsit objectives and screen? one Crawler to snipe characters and screen?

What's the best V3 list you can write?

Edit:

Arkhan
Leige Kavalos: Godbone Armour, Mighty Archaeossian
Soulreaper: Arcane Command
2*20 Morteks
2*5 Deathriders
Harbingers: Halbards
Crawler

One drop. 2000 on the nose. Soulreaper or Shrieker?

Edited by Obeisance

15 hours ago, baiardo said:

What's you have in mind with nagash?

Maybe something like this?

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Petrifex Elite
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (970)
Liege-Kavalos (185)

Battleline
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
10 x Mortek Guard (140)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Bone-tithe Shrieker (85)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 78

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Obeisance said:

With a team tournament next month, I'm kinda stuck with OBR. I don't have time to learn a new army AND a new edition. I kinda have to try to make the most of it.

I've been brainstorming all day, trying to come up with some workable ideas. 

a) Arkhan in Petrifex, what I'm presently playing. Basically dudespam, catapults and magic denial.

b) Katacross in Praetorians. Pre-AOS3 build with Katacross as a damage amp, catapults.

These were the lists I'm used to, but the more I think about it- the more I think I need to be more aggressive. Maybe two catapults isn't the answer. Especially considering I can't Duty them both anymore. Maybe one Catapult to assassinate characters and delete screens.

Petrifex Elite
- 1 drop, 2000pts
Arkhan
Leige Kavalos: Mighty Archaeossian, Godbone Armour, General
20 Morteks
20 Morteks
10 Morteks
10 Morteks
5 Deathriders
5 Deathriders
Crawler
Burning Head

More aggressive, more dudes, single drop, 10 drops to babsit objectives and screen? one Crawler to snipe characters and screen?

What's the best V3 list you can write?

Edit:

Arkhan
Leige Kavalos: Godbone Armour, Mighty Archaeossian
Soulreaper: Arcane Command
2*20 Morteks
2*5 Deathriders
Harbingers: Halbards
Crawler

One drop. 2000 on the nose. Soulreaper or Shrieker?

The Deathriders always underperformed for me, but i only play against Lumineth and Ironjaws, so no experience against other factions.

Crawlers never killed anything with the herosnipe, so i am not convinced of them either.

Harvester always worked well and with the new monster rules he should be even better.

My list to start 3.0 will look like this:

Petrifex Elite

Arkhan

Liege (Mighty Archaeosen, Godbone Armour)

20x Mortek (Swords)

20x Mortek (Swords)

5x Deathriders (Swords)

3x Necropolis Stalkers

1x Harvester (Bludgeons)

1x Crawler

1x Predator

1970 Points

34 minutes ago, Archibald said:

The Deathriders always underperformed for me, but i only play against Lumineth and Ironjaws, so no experience against other factions.

Crawlers never killed anything with the herosnipe, so i am not convinced of them either.

Harvester always worked well and with the new monster rules he should be even better.

My list to start 3.0 will look like this:

Petrifex Elite

Arkhan

Liege (Mighty Archaeosen, Godbone Armour)

20x Mortek (Swords)

20x Mortek (Swords)

5x Deathriders (Swords)

3x Necropolis Stalkers

1x Harvester (Bludgeons)

1x Crawler

1x Predator

1970 Points

Seems a good list, I played deathriders a lot and I love them, for me is a great unit, always 10x1, now a little bit overcosted and with coherency rules...but with the righ support they are a good movement/punch/tank unit that you can resurrect with our heroes.

1 minute ago, baiardo said:

Seems a good list, I played deathriders a lot and I love them, for me is a great unit, always 10x1, now a little bit overcosted and with coherency rules...but with the righ support they are a good movement/punch/tank unit that you can resurrect with our heroes.

Thanks mate.

I am still in need of Arkhan, but i will order him tomorrow i think. 
Rest of the army is nearly painted and ready for action.

Especially excited to try out the new Petrifex Elite.

I'm looking at this for petrifex:

• Arkhan
  • Liege (general with compulsory kit
  • Mason
  • 30 Mortek Guard
  • 5 Deathriders
  • 5 Deathriders
  • Harvester
  • Crawler
  • Shrieker

2 drop battle regiment plus crawler.  I could drop the harvester for some immortis or harbingers to get down to a one drop, but having the extra monster feels worthwhile?  Not sure.  2 crawlers would probably be better, but if the current version of the harvester is ever going to be worth taking, it's during ghur year.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sception said:

I'm looking at this for petrifex:

• Arkhan
  • Liege (general with compulsory kit
  • Mason
  • 30 Mortek Guard
  • 5 Deathriders
  • 5 Deathriders
  • Harvester
  • Crawler
  • Shrieker

2 drop battle regiment plus crawler.  I could drop the harvester for some immortis or harbingers to get down to a one drop, but having the extra monster feels worthwhile?  Not sure.  2 crawlers would probably be better, but if the current version of the harvester is ever going to be worth taking, it's during ghur year.

I literally thought of the exact list. You can put all the battleline in hunters of the heartland and make them monster resistant. Also a command entourage for extra artifact and take +1 wound aura on the soul Mason or +1 hit on the Liege.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Obeisance said:

With only one blob of Morteks, what are you using to hold home objective(s)?

hopes & prayers.  If absolutely necessary, deathriders.  10 strong mortek squads aren't going to hold much anyway, and 20 strong's too many points to leave stranded in your backfield.

Edited by Sception

Hello guys,

New OBR player here. Not looking to win tournament, but I made a list with all the units I like, and I wonder with which subfaction I should play it : Petrifex or Stalliarch Lords ?

I love Stalkers and Morghasts, and wanted a very mobile, in-your-face style of army. Is it better to go all-in on mobility with Stalliarchs or, since tables are smaller, to go with Petrifex so i'll hold my own better against enemy attacks?

• Liege-Kavalos
  • Liege-Kavalos
  • 5 Deathriders
  • 5 Deathriders
  • 10 Mortek Guards
  • 6 Stalkers
  • 6 Stalkers
  • 4 Morghasts

I am open to small modifications of the list, but I really like the heavy monstrous infantry build. Since my key units are 4W, I don't think I need healing or resurrection that much.

Thanks for your feedback! Looking forward to join the AoS community with my OBRs!

6 hours ago, Alaric83 said:

Hello guys,

New OBR player here. Not looking to win tournament, but I made a list with all the units I like, and I wonder with which subfaction I should play it : Petrifex or Stalliarch Lords ?

I love Stalkers and Morghasts, and wanted a very mobile, in-your-face style of army. Is it better to go all-in on mobility with Stalliarchs or, since tables are smaller, to go with Petrifex so i'll hold my own better against enemy attacks?

• Liege-Kavalos
  • Liege-Kavalos
  • 5 Deathriders
  • 5 Deathriders
  • 10 Mortek Guards
  • 6 Stalkers
  • 6 Stalkers
  • 4 Morghasts

I am open to small modifications of the list, but I really like the heavy monstrous infantry build. Since my key units are 4W, I don't think I need healing or resurrection that much.

Thanks for your feedback! Looking forward to join the AoS community with my OBRs!

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Mortis Praetorians
- Grand Strategy: Vendetta
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (470)
Vokmortian, Master of the Bone-tithe (155)

Battleline
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190)
10 x Mortek Guard (140)

Units
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (360)
- Reinforced x 1
2 x Morghast Archai (190)
- Spirit Swords
2 x Morghast Archai (190)
- Spirit Halberds

Endless Spells & Invocations
Chronomantic Cogs (45)
Horrorghast (65)

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

Petrifex are good for attack and defence, stalliarch for very aggressive play.
both good for the play you like, try both.

The problem is that you lack wounds and bodies, if you lose too early 6stalkers or morghast before you can destroy important enemy units the game is over, also you are in a bad position controlling objectives.

I propose to you katakros + mortis praetorians, you need to advance all units in one block under the bubble of katkaros, better save and hit(that other legions don't have), except for those units you send for objectives.

Hit hard with what you have in one point, you need to destroy one unit a time. The best is kill enemy general.

With Katakros, Vokmortian and at least 1unit of morghast enemy units will have a -3morale debuff, if you hit hard horrorghast will do the rest.

Not a competitive list for now but fun I think...

or

Bring Arkhan and Petrifex Elite for support plus predator/bone-tithe endless spell, that is more in meta.

Edited by baiardo