AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

The Good: 

• Lieges down 
  • Katakros down (Special K stonks!)
  • Stalkers same
  • Harbingers down (only 5 but now counting as 2 on objectives is sweet)
  • Arkan the same is nice. 

The Bad: 

• Crawler: Kinda expected but with mystic shield changes and all the other +1 stuff flying around, I don't think it needed going up
  • Mortek: again, expected but still stings a little and max 30 is also not the greatest
  • Deathriders: Unnecessary increase I think

The Lol: 

• Vokmortian: Seirously, just stop GW. Make him 100 and then maybe I will think about taking him (That's a lie...I won't). 

The "But why???": 

• Immortis guard: +10? But why??

The ????: 

• Endless spells: Bye bye filling up those last 20-40 points with these, and hello possible triumph! 
    • Also Soulstealer Carrion went up by 325%! You poor poor bird
    • Sure, I get because of the whole bound thing its good for us, but because of the new endless spell rules and endless spell max, its not gonna change anything for us to justify these increases. Would rather have lost the bound ability than these changes. 

The Oh God, my nerf senses are tingling: 

• Lieges and Katakros dropping makes me feel that the FAQ may change up our RPD generation to mean liege keyword heroes do not give an extra RDP
    • Could be good or bad, who knows, but GW often giveth and taketh away and given we got reductions for these units kinda unexpectedly, I do suspect we may see some nerf in some other way. 

Edited by Heijoshin
  • Like 1

Not terrible for us, right?

Mortis Praetorians (2000pts even)

- Battle Regiment (Unified Drop)
Katacross
20 Morteks: Sword
10 Morteks: Sword
Harvester: Bludgeons

- Grand Battery (One free Unleash Hell)
Leige Kavalos (-3 Rend Praetor relic)
Crawler
Crawler

7+8D6 RDP

Edited by Obeisance

40 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Katacross

Crawler
Crawler

7+8D6 RDP

I like it! 

This will depend on whether an FAQ will allow us to use these generic command abilities, but if so, this will mean that one per game both crawlers can shoot into someone charging your screen because of the Battle Regiment ability not technically being issued and a point not being spent. Noice. 

If we can't use Unleash Hell, then I guess this is very situational. 

I'm assuming we'd be able to use Unleash Hell because it doesn't actually use command points.. and yeah. I imagine people will get blindsided by a free stand and shoot.

Question is- do I need magic users, with the hero ability unbind?

I've got a Harvester because he's a monster to fulful secondaries.

As for Grand Strategies, what's actually viable?

Sever the Head, Vendetta, Beastmaster, Domain - Trash for us.

Hold the Line - Completed if you still have battleline units. This is probably our go-to.

Dominating presence - Have more units alive at the end of the game. Also viable.

Prized Sorcery - Viable if we run Arkhan, I guess?

Battle Tactics, so turn by turn..

Broken Ranks - Pick and kill a unit. Killed by a Monster, add 1 CP.

Conquer - Pick an objective marker and take it.

Slay the Warlord - Kill the general, add a 1 CP if with a monster.

Ferocious Advance - Have three units run and stay close by. Extra CP if they're monsters.

Bring it Down - Pick and kill a monster. extra CP if it's with a monster.

Aggressive Expansion - Pick two objectives not wholy withiny our territory. Take both.

Monsterous Takeover - Hold an objective with a monster.

Savage Spearhead - Have two units in your enemy territory. Extra CP if there's a monster.

We reaaaally need to take 1+ Harvesters, it seems.

15 hours ago, baiardo said:

as we have suggested previously, you can't have 40mortek for the new reinforcement rule that say: take a minimum unit size, if battleline take that maximum two more times..so max 30mortek in one unit.

so i will just cut 10 mortek from 40 to 30 

4 hours ago, Obeisance said:

Katacross

Crawler
Crawler

7+8D6 RDP

looks solid

This is mine:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
MORTIS PREATORIANS 
Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (200)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Horrorghast (60)

Total: 1960 / 2000 —> 2000/2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102

I think is a pretty good list, with many possibilities, no ranged units, compensating with magic.

4 hours ago, baiardo said:

I think is a pretty good list, with many possibilities, no ranged units, compensating with magic.

Previous incarnation of my list has Arkhan and/or Katacross. I found that his magic wasn't deadly enough, not that great in combat and points too tight to buy him spells. Also good players would abuse Protection and make me teleport off objectives. Arkhan got cut.

Double Crawler was amazing though. 1+ hit, extra attack, rerolling ones. So good.

My team won a team tournament that year and I went undefeated.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:34 PM, SilverJelly said:

I dont think so. Katakros can do to all units in range and you don't have to worry about failing casts or it being unbound.

Yes but Arkhan also provides a decent bit of anti magic and gets monster actions should you need them. Dont get me wrong Katakros is great, but with Arkhan i can play a tough Petrifexx Elite Rend Heavy list and not be locked to Mortis Praetorians

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Obeisance said:

So, from a competive standpoint: two questions.

a) Do you think we need wizards at all? 

b) With only the Harvester, is it better to go monster-less?

IMO, yes, endless spells are going to be a more important element in the game, even a single boneshaper in a list is better than nothing.

Same, the monster we have is better than nothing.

Best Battlepack for us?

Edited by baiardo

8 hours ago, Obeisance said:

So, from a competive standpoint: two questions.

I expect both wizards and harvesters will have a role, but until the faction FAQs are out, I don't think there's really a clear answer to competitive questions.  A lot of how OBR as a faction play will come down to whether we have access to the core CAs, whether our command abilities are likewise limited to each being used only once a round, whether the +3" move ability is still a CA, whether we can get RDP from the core battalions that give other factions CP, and so on.

For example: If we still can't use core command abilities AND our faction command abilities are restricted to once per phase, we won't need nearly as much RDP, meaning less incentive to run lieges, so you might as well run more casters.  The fact that lieges all went down in points - including katakros even - makes this rather disconcertingly plausible.  That said, so much of the game is tied up in core CAs now that it's hard to imagine they'd exclude an entire faction from that, and if they do let us use core CAs now, then we could gain as many things to do as we'll lose from not being able to do the old things multiple times in the same round, making the now cheaper lieges even more tempting.

21 hours ago, Sception said:

until the faction FAQs are out, I don't think there's really a clear answer to competitive questions. 

I agree. I'm still painting, but I gotta be honest, with our army taking all of the hits and gaining nearly none of the benefits of the new edition, I'm thinking the whole future of Bonereapers will come down to the FAQ. Until we see that, there's little point in doing any theoryhammer.

Edited by Sleboda

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

I agree. I'm still painting, but I gotta be honest, with our army training all of the hits and gaining nearly none of the benefits of the new edition, I'm thinking the whole future of Bonereapers will come down to the FAQ. Until we see that, there's little point in doing any theoryhammer.

Me too, considering OBR are 1.5 year old and I see them a bit like IDK but infantry focused instead of cavalry, a (hoping proper/good)FAQ is due.

Without any future changes crawler is the unit we'll see less and less, without rend and with the possibilities to increase save plus rally and cap at only 1buff the damage is really limited.

Edited by baiardo

I mean, I'm pretty skeptical of OBR's short term prospecrs, but even if the FAQ doesn't do mucb for us, I don't actually expect it'll be a long wait for a 3e book that will rework our mechanics to mesh with 3e even if the faq doesn't.  Undead are all about the long game, we can wait out a fallow period.

On 6/20/2021 at 12:58 PM, jhamslam said:

Yes but Arkhan also provides a decent bit of anti magic and gets monster actions should you need them. Dont get me wrong Katakros is great, but with Arkhan i can play a tough Petrifexx Elite Rend Heavy list and not be locked to Mortis Praetorians

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing

14 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I just read the warscroll for Mir Kainan. I don't normally include Underworlds warbands in my AoS armies, but he really seems like a great addition.

Is it just me?

Has anyone tried him out?

I haven't had the chance to play the reapers yet, but I've ordered & assembled a box and they're waiting in line for painting behind my current spite gourds project.

190 points seems like a solid deal for a tough and punchy mortisan caster - basically what a soulreaper wants to be except with offensive & defensive stats much better suited to the front line - that also comes with a mini mortek unit to cap open objectives or do whatever else with.

My only real complaint is the forced praetorians keyword.  If they had to be legion locked that's the best one, but I would have preferred an open subfaction approach like the vamp warband got.

Apparently the reapers are also stupid good in the actual underworlds game?  I might have to give that another try.