AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

He's not used as often as he used to be in Legions of Nagash back in the early days of 2e, since the more expensive OBR units mean you get even less of an army to go with him, and 880 points for nagash (plus another chunk for the nigh obligatory spellportals) is already eating like half your list.

That said, he's a big hard monster that relocates fairly easily due to protection of nagash, efficiently buffs & heals your whole army (such as it is after spending half your points on Nagash)) with his invocation and command ability, threatens to instagib monsters with spellportals & hand of dust, and single handedly shuts down all but the most overpowering enemy magic phases.  There are hyper-offense armies out there that can legitimately threaten him these days, but he's still a bad dude and you can absolutely build a viable army around that.  Maybe a liege for a couple extra command points, maybe some immortis to soak alpha rush attacks before you have protection of nagash up, the rest into morteks to screen, try to claim objectives, brawl as much as they can.  Or skip the immortis, take more morteks, and just deploy to screen out alpha rushers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He definitely works better in narrative big games than in 2k pitched battles, though.  3k, 4k or more?  Enough points for Nagash and an army and some offensive endless spells and the aigis immortal to help keep him alive at speed?  That's when Nagash really starts to feel like, you know, Nagash.

That said, there's some positive signs for Nagash in pitched battle on the horizon, even as the Broken Realms have put him on the back foot in the lore.  In particular, there have been some rumors that mystic shield is going back to being a +1 bonus to armor saves, and if that happens then Nagash giving himself a re-rollable 2+ armor save again, plus hand +1 armor saves out to a couple mortek units a turn, will be a big deal and you might see some more tournament activity from him in that case.  You might even actually find him running out of casting slots before you run out of useful spells to cast with them, which would be a nice change of pace.

He's also rumored to be in the new Soulblight Gravelords book, where he'll have a different and possibly more directly threatening spell selection, and cheaper units to fill out the rest of your army with.  So if you just want to field Nagash and aren't bothered one way or the other about the army you're taking him in then you might want to keep an eye on that.

Edited by Sception
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Sception said:

He definitely works better in narrative big games than in 2k pitched battles, though.  3k, 4k or more?  Enough points for Nagash and an army and some offensive endless spells and the aigis immortal to help keep him alive at speed?  That's when Nagash really starts to feel like, you know, Nagash.

That said, there's some positive signs on the horizon.  There have been some rumors that mystic shield is going back to +1 armor save, and if that happens then Nagash being able to give himself that re-rollable 2+ armor save again, plus hand out old-style petrifex bonus to a couple key units in the army each turn, will be a big deal and you might see some more tournament activity from him in that case.

He's also rumored to be in the new Soulblight Gravelords book, where he'll have a different and possibly more directly threatening spell selection and cheaper units to fill out the rest of your army with, so if you just want to field Nagash and aren't bothered one way or the other about the units he gets to take with him, then you might want to keep an eye on that.

I was looking to make a list with OBR and wanted to clear my mind about Nagash, I see something like this:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Mortis Praetorians

Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
- General
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)

Battleline
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 81

--But the following is what I like the most:

AGE OF NAGASH
- Legion: Petrifex Elite
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Mighty Archaeossian
- Artefact: Godbone Armour
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- Lore of Mortisans: Arcane Command
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons

Battleline
10 x Kavalos Deathriders (360)

Units
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (360)

Artillery
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
Soulstealer Carrion (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 126

what do you like most about OBR, in your opinion pros/cons?

Edited by baiardo

Ok guys, if I start with the broken realmS box and Katakros, what’s you suggest next?mortek mortek mortek?😄overall is a good start?

New underworlds models suggesting new units/strategy for OBR?

we have some rumors about a starter set?

3 hours ago, baiardo said:

Ok guys, if I start with the broken realmS box and Katakros, what’s you suggest next?mortek mortek mortek?😄overall is a good start?

New underworlds models suggesting new units/strategy for OBR?

we have some rumors about a starter set?

I would love to see some units for OBR in near future, but I don't have any rumours. My wishlist would be like:
- archers
- mortek chariot
- mid-tier warmachine like bone bolt thrower
- unit of executioners
- totally unreal but maybe some kind of monstrous cavalry like necropolis stalkers from TK (riders on snakes)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Knopers said:

- totally unreal but maybe some kind of monstrous cavalry like necropolis stalkers from TK (riders on snakes)

I had those models, they were pretty cool!!!

Started WHFB with khemri, restarted it years later with the new wave of khemri in 2012(I think?) sold it some years ago and restarting now with OBR(previously played SCE), to my eyes they are some kind of spiritual successors of the tomb kings.

Edited by baiardo

Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)

Battleline
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)

Units
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (360)

Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

Guys what you think about this list?
Give me some tips pls!😀
I know mortek is a must but wanted to change a bit, since I never played OBR you think this could be good?
Alternatively I could swap Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360) for a Mortek Crawler (200), Soulstealer Carrion (20) and Mortisan Soulmason (140).

On 5/12/2021 at 7:04 AM, Knopers said:

I would love to see some units for OBR in near future, but I don't have any rumours. My wishlist would be like:
- archers
- mortek chariot
- unit of executioners

I'd love archers, and love a chariot. We need more chariots. Another warmachine would be interesting but not as exciting as those for me. I'd certainly take one or two if it were less swingy than our 0 rend catapults and was less points and time to paint.

The big thing there that is of interest to me is the Necropolis Stalkers type cav. I honestly feel they would be a better fit in Ossiarchs than TK. When TK got those and the Necrosphinx was around the time I started checking out of WFB because it was moving too far away from its rank and flank roots--not to mention TK were always the "dudes who happen to be dead" faction for me, not the "crazy undead construct" faction. They'd be perfect fits for AoS, though, and Ossiarchs are the "crazy undead construct" faction.

Edited by RocketPropelledGrenade
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 5/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, Knopers said:

- archers
- mortek chariot
- unit of executioners

For me this nails it. Another warmachine doesn't interest me as much but the CHARIOTS are a must IMO. I need more of that TK fix.

On 5/6/2021 at 2:09 PM, Aeryenn said:

I have obr for about a year now but only recently bought Katakros and look at possibilities. I'm surprised people don't play Stalkers. They've been my most reliable unit so far in obr army.

On paper they don't seem exceptional, with katakros isn't better a unit of immortis guard?

Edited by baiardo
  • Like 1

I use Immortis Guard and like them, but from what I hear online, Necropolis Stalkers are the much more popular build. The stance with both rend and damage on it is bonkers powerful for offense, to the point where the other offense-boosting aspects might as well not exist. The main reason they aren't recommended more is their cost relative to how easy they are to kill if they don't get to blend their target first.

No.  The warscroll is copy-paste from OBR, with the sole exception being that he loses the 'priest' keyword.

There are two potential reasons for the points increase:

1) the author of the book is still snakebit from Nagash/Grimghast lists way back in the early days of AoS 2e.  There are several changes in the book that feel like three years too late nerfs to an army that has already been left behind by three years of power creep.  In particular, gravesites no longer heal, invocations no longer stack, endless legions is a shadow of its former self, etc.

2) the points costs are based on the army's use in 3e, where, according to rumors, arcane bold and mystic shield will return to their 1e incarnations.  Ie, arcane bolt will be d3 mortals regardless of casting value and mystic shield will grant a +1 bonus to armor saves.  If these rumors prove to be true, then Nagash will be able to give himself a 2+ rerolling ones armor save, buff a couple mortek units to 3+ saves, machine gun out 3d3 mortals to nuke a hero clean off the board, and still have two casting attempts left over to spellportal out a hand of dust, or cast protection of nagash and a weak damage dealing endless spell to teleport himself around the table, or just cast empower nadirite weapons and arcane command for some bog standard utility.

I'm not convinced he's worth 975 points for that, but I'm not convinced he /isn't/ worth 975 points for that, either.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

So I just heard that Nagash is going up to 975pt in the Soulblight Gravelords tome. Whats up with that?

Think he might be getting a new Warscroll yet again?

I asked that in the Gravelords thread and it seems that his warscroll hasn't changed...

The only change is that he knows all Gravelord spells again...

At least that is what they said to me.

So I've got a 1k game coming up and I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. 

Looking at running this, 

LEADERS
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Katakros' Chosen 
UNITS
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
BEHEMOTHS
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
TOTAL: 1000/1000 WOUNDS: 52

I had 50pts left over and thought why not add an endless spell,but also I've been tempted to run the soul mason instead as every game the shaper just sits back to score and doesn't get to regen much. And with having the harvester it makes me think I should swap them more and pick a different endless spell. What's everyone's thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Shawry said:

So I've got a 1k game coming up and I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. 

Looking at running this, 

LEADERS
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Katakros' Chosen 
UNITS
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
BEHEMOTHS
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)
TOTAL: 1000/1000 WOUNDS: 52

I had 50pts left over and thought why not add an endless spell,but also I've been tempted to run the soul mason instead as every game the shaper just sits back to score and doesn't get to regen much. And with having the harvester it makes me think I should swap them more and pick a different endless spell. What's everyone's thoughts?

You could switch 10 Mortek and the Pendulum for 5 Deathriders for a bit of mobility.

38 minutes ago, Caelumnox said:

Hi guys, im new OBR player.

Im thinking about null myriad setup.

Is good in the meta?

Welcome!

I'm new to the faction too but basically most of the lists is around mortis praeotrians. New edition is near so something could change.

Mortek guard is THE UNIT to have. that's what I learned!

Edited by baiardo
  • Like 1

Mosts lists go mortis praetorean for katakros, but other legions do see play.  Generally more stalliarch for run & charge to mitigate the factions low movement speed, or petrifex because +1 rend as a CA is super good.  Null Myriad isn't bad, but is a bit too focused in being anti-magic, and not just anti magic generally, but anti offensive spells in particular.  There are only so many magic heavy armies in the meta, and some of those are heppy to use their spells just buffing their own units, so in general there aren't so many enemies that null myriad is strong against that you would take them to a tournament setting.

In a local setting if you happen to know you'll be facing a lot of strong offensive magic they can shine, though.

Hopefully next time we get a book they'll get to be strong with magic and not just against it, which would help.  Then again, after broken realms, they might not actually exist anymore?  Too soon to say, really.

• Like 1

- Legion: Null Myriad
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Unsettling and Sinister
- Artefact: Baleful Blade
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Kavalos Deathriders (360)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Shield-corps (120)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 114

Im thinking about playing something like this.

1 tarpit unit 2 objetive holder

and cavalry for mobility.

2 hours ago, Caelumnox said:

Im thinking about playing something like this.

1 tarpit unit 2 objetive holder

and cavalry for mobility.

The problem with NM is either the ability is really good, or completely useless and irrelevant with very little in-between. This does not lend itself to winning tournaments or playing against variety of armies. For example playing against someone like Deepkin the ability does basically nothing, but against something like Seraphon it is fairly good. In general, you will probably lose the Seraphon/DoT match up regardless of legion, so it is usually better to plan for beating those that you have better match-ups with.