AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

I think the archer looks great, and I'd love to see a unit of it.  And the executioner is very nice as well.  What I wasn't expecting to like as much as I do is that mortek hekatos / unit champ looking guy with the halberd and weird runestone and the raven on their base.  I think they're fantastic, and would love to use them as a champion for one of my mortek guard units.

The executioner is huge! As others have said, seem to have some skeleton archers not doing much atm and a box of necron warriors (with the green clear plastic thing) have to say though I’m probably ditching OBR now my first st love is getting the attention it deserves.

I've got a quick question, with the most recent box annoucement of 10 riders and our mighty liege. Does anyone have any tips on low to run a Stalliarch lords list? 

It would be just for 1k though, I'm assuming a boneshaper isn't worth it that much due to how slow it is?

676397b.jpg

Edited by Shawry

55 minutes ago, Shawry said:

I've got a quick question, with the most recent box annoucement of 10 riders and our mighty liege. Does anyone have any tips on low to run a Stalliarch lords list? 

It would be just for 1k though, I'm assuming a boneshaper isn't worth it that much due to how slow it is?

676397b.jpg

For 1k Stalliarch I'd go something like this:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Stalliarch Lords
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Twisted Challenge
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Artefact: Artisan's Key
- Lore of Mortisans: Arcane Command
10 x Kavalos Deathriders (360)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (180)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 64

Got to admit I am super disappointed in the broken realms box, not the actual content, but seeing stalliarch lords and horses crushed my hopes of something new and interesting. I had hoped for a new sub faction or in some way to get the option for new battleline to mix up OBR lists a bit, as there is so little wiggle room with the expensive battlelines. Stalliarch lords at the front shoots down that hope.

Stalliarch lords also sit at a silly spot, as their command allows retreat and charge, but the most useful battalion for kavalos does exactly the same, for free near the liege... so running that (to get the helm of the ordained artifact as well) you get the same benefits, and you can do that as petrifex to get the reroll 1s to save and the -1 rend command. I would much rather want reroll saves of 1 and an additional rend than just run and charge. Kavalos are fast enough anyway. Stalkers benefit the most, but still, I'd probably rather have petrifex, rend 2 on the riders and rend 1 on the horses is just so much better for their output.

49 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

Might have missed something, but what’s this Broken Realms OBR specific faction your chatting about? Where is the source, and what is 100% known?

Broken Realms will provide some new rules for some factions besides the Lumineth, like the case for the Morathi book last time. The Morathi book actually had some new allegiance abilities (bad ones though) for Stormcast and Slaves to Darkness, while also new warscrolls for multiple Idoneth Deepkin units (why sharks are everywhere now). 

The Teclis book was announced to have something for Nurgle, Flesh Eaters, Cities and OBR besides all the new Lumineth stuff. The box sets above represent the new battalions, which was the case last time as well. As the OBR box has 10 kavalos and a liege and they are shown as Stlliarch lords both in the picture but also the new box art, it goes to show that they are the focus for whatever is for OBR in that book, and Stalliarch are frankly quite bad. We also already got a battalion with 1 liege and 2 units of kavalos in the battletome, so it seems a bit boring and odd to include this.

28 minutes ago, SchleuderMann2 said:

Hey folks, 

I have recently bought Nagash and want to play him in OBR with a bunch of mortek guards. What possibilities are there for this kind of lists? I often play against Nurgle, sersphon std and tzeentch. Thanks in Advance👍

You could do something like this:

- Legion: None
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Ancient Knowledge
- Artefact: Helm of the Ordained
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
3 x Immortis Guard (180)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 85

Running no legion to get the +1 RDP trait and the +1 hit 12" aura on the liege. Immortis guard to help Nagash and the Liege play aggressive and not just die instantly to an alpha either.

On 3/20/2021 at 11:23 PM, KK9T said:

I hope we get an archer unit down the line. 

That would be awesome, i‘m a bit disappointed by the Mortek Crawlers because of how unreliable their damage is - would have preferred more rend, less damage - degrading rend. 

Whats your opinion on them? I know that can win a game by good rolling, but chances are high they do nothing all game and to be fair, there are easier ways of taking out units with bad saves... 

4 hours ago, Phasteon said:

That would be awesome, i‘m a bit disappointed by the Mortek Crawlers because of how unreliable their damage is - would have preferred more rend, less damage - degrading rend. 

Whats your opinion on them? I know that can win a game by good rolling, but chances are high they do nothing all game and to be fair, there are easier ways of taking out units with bad saves... 

What are the easier ways for OBR? Crawlers are literally essential for the army to function because they are a long range big damage threat that forces the enemy to engage our extremely slow, no trick army. 

21 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Broken Realms will provide some new rules for some factions besides the Lumineth, like the case for the Morathi book last time. The Morathi book actually had some new allegiance abilities (bad ones though) for Stormcast and Slaves to Darkness, while also new warscrolls for multiple Idoneth Deepkin units (why sharks are everywhere now). 

The Teclis book was announced to have something for Nurgle, Flesh Eaters, Cities and OBR besides all the new Lumineth stuff. The box sets above represent the new battalions, which was the case last time as well. As the OBR box has 10 kavalos and a liege and they are shown as Stlliarch lords both in the picture but also the new box art, it goes to show that they are the focus for whatever is for OBR in that book, and Stalliarch are frankly quite bad. We also already got a battalion with 1 liege and 2 units of kavalos in the battletome, so it seems a bit boring and odd to include this.

You could do something like this:

- Legion: None
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Ancient Knowledge
- Artefact: Helm of the Ordained
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
3 x Immortis Guard (180)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 85

Running no legion to get the +1 RDP trait and the +1 hit 12" aura on the liege. Immortis guard to help Nagash and the Liege play aggressive and not just die instantly to an alpha either.

Thank you :)

10 hours ago, Btimmy said:

What are the easier ways for OBR? Crawlers are literally essential for the army to function because they are a long range big damage threat that forces the enemy to engage our extremely slow, no trick army. 

Are they slow though? We can move +3“ on demand and potentially run and charge.. 

And even the other legions - i have no problem getting 10-11“ movement with my mortek guard t1 - my deathriders just recently won a game by killing a unit in the right corner of the enemy side then zooming to the left side of MY side killing another unit of gtabbing another objective within 2 turns. They can potentially move 22“ !! 

I wouldnt call OBR a fast army, but no way are they slow compared to most armies of the game that completely rely on their base move. 

I prefer Harbingers to Crawlers as they can assassinate weak buff characters hiding thx to fly, and they are pretty fast too especially with 3d6 charge

7 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Are they slow though? We can move +3“ on demand and potentially run and charge.. 

And even the other legions - i have no problem getting 10-11“ movement with my mortek guard t1 - my deathriders just recently won a game by killing a unit in the right corner of the enemy side then zooming to the left side of MY side killing another unit of gtabbing another objective within 2 turns. They can potentially move 22“ !! 

I wouldnt call OBR a fast army, but no way are they slow compared to most armies of the game that completely rely on their base move. 

I prefer Harbingers to Crawlers as they can assassinate weak buff characters hiding thx to fly, and they are pretty fast too especially with 3d6 charge

Run and charge in one legion, movement 7 for the guard at the cost of limited resources that we also need to ensure the guard don't fall over in combat. My opinion is from someone who plays in and with tournament players. The army functions because of Crawlers. Without them the gameplan of march up and try to fight is not going to work against anyone who knows what to do. 

1 hour ago, Btimmy said:

Run and charge in one legion, movement 7 for the guard at the cost of limited resources that we also need to ensure the guard don't fall over in combat. My opinion is from someone who plays in and with tournament players. The army functions because of Crawlers. Without them the gameplan of march up and try to fight is not going to work against anyone who knows what to do. 

Dont get me wrong, I also feel the army is lacking in the „pressure“ department without crawlers but to be fair, dont the objectives force the enemy towards our army anyway? 

But I think crawlers are more of a „psychological“ weapon, because the average dmg output of the crawler against 4+ Save is between 0-5 points of damage .. 

I think 200 points for that is a bit steep.

I have to admit though, I dont play at tournaments / against tournament players so I cant really judge the „true“ competitiveness of a unit - just compared to my „local meta“ where we max out our lists at the moment, but also try weird things more often than not. 

What I wanted to say anyway, I‘d really like Mortek Archers, not just for the aesthetics but also for some reliable range threat a la Auralon Sentinels.. 

I‘d imagine the bows being like  2 shots, 18-24“ range, 3+/4+ maybe -1 rend, 1 damage and the nadirite rule (20 guys pumping out 40 shots with exploding 5s (buffed) would be awesome) 

160-180 points for 10

Edit: Oh, and of course some fancy OBR style command ability like ignore cover or look out, sir.. 

And about the shots, maybe 4+/4+ to start as between shrieker, katakros and endless duty things could get out of hand pretty quickly with that unit 😄

Edited by Phasteon

We probably wont get any archers, this is the tease like Sylvaneth getting that revenant archer in their warband, which would be really darn fitting for them to have, but never was to be. 

I might be wrong though, I also thought why would Lumineth need more ranged power between spells and their crazy good versatile archers, but here we are, with war machines, bowmen on kangaroos and a fox sniper on the way, who could have known.

Archers would be great though, I really don't like what the crawler does to the gameplay, as it is so vulnerable for marginal benefit, when it does get lucky and snipe of a support hero, it often feels more cheesy than good, despite the odds being poor, it is so swingy. The minimum range on it also asks for babysitting, which we get precious few models to do, and then you might put 10 mortek to guard it, that is also very point inefficient-

Archers could be the answer to a slightly less static force, they should have mortek base stats and a bow with 2 atk 4+/4+/-1/1 a nadirite shortsword 1 attack version of the guard swords. They could have a command ability going back to the TK days, with 1 RDP to ignore all negative modifiers to hit. I seriously doubt we would get them though sadly, it would be great especially if battleline to open more varied army options for OBR.

• LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Phasteon said:

Dont get me wrong, I also feel the army is lacking in the „pressure“ department without crawlers but to be fair, dont the objectives force the enemy towards our army anyway? 

But I think crawlers are more of a „psychological“ weapon, because the average dmg output of the crawler against 4+ Save is between 0-5 points of damage .. 

I think 200 points for that is a bit steep.

I have to admit though, I dont play at tournaments / against tournament players so I cant really judge the „true“ competitiveness of a unit - just compared to my „local meta“ where we max out our lists at the moment, but also try weird things more often than not. 

What I wanted to say anyway, I‘d really like Mortek Archers, not just for the aesthetics but also for some reliable range threat a la Auralon Sentinels.. 

I‘d imagine the bows being like  2 shots, 18-24“ range, 3+/4+ maybe -1 rend, 1 damage and the nadirite rule (20 guys pumping out 40 shots with exploding 5s (buffed) would be awesome) 

160-180 points for 10

Edit: Oh, and of course some fancy OBR style command ability like ignore cover or look out, sir.. 

And about the shots, maybe 4+/4+ to start as between shrieker, katakros and endless duty things could get out of hand pretty quickly with that unit 😄

Youre forgetting the OTHER utility on crawlers. Taking out 5-6 wound heroes and Hordes

Theres a lot of armies in this game with 5 or 6 bravery being able to slay those models outright is huge. Ive decimated Skaven players this way who rely on bodies and shooting to get the job done.

We also have a healthy 12 wounds, meaning its gonna take a bit of work to kill us and if they do damage us past like 3-4 wounds.

Get your Stele ready and snipe those heroes.

Ive Killed Kroak like this, not to mention Nurgle, DoK, LRL heroes.

Hello i was thinking try this list this weekend and would be nice asking for your thoughts on this.

Allegiance: The Ossiarch Empire

Legion: Mortis Praetorians

Leader

Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis [500pts]

-General

Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament [360pts]

Battleline

40 Mortek Guard [440pts]

-Nadirite Blade and Shield

40 Mortek Guard [440pts]

20 Mortek Guard [260pts]

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 131

We have to take morteks because they're the only viable battleline, and in most fights they can do plenty of killing.  The Crawler is so important, regardless of how much killing it actually does, because it complements the morteks, threatening exactly the kind of units that morteks have trouble with.  5 wound heroes with powerful overlapping buffs that morteks can't reach behind enemy lines?  Crawlers pressure those hard.  Lightly armored ranged long range or fast skirmishy units that morteks have trouble chasing down?  Crawlers threaten those.  small chaff speedbumps and huge cheap chaff tar pits that bog down the mortek advance?  Crawlers clear speed bumps and thin out tar pits quite well.  That on top of just generally being some long range support to help discourage enemy units from hanging back.  In general crawlers, even if they don't end up killing much, are still better support for morteks than harvesters, because harvesters give morteks a bit more of something they already have plenty of - durability - while crawlers give them the things they're actually missing.

To reduce the faction's reliance on crawlers, you first need to reduce the reliance on Mortek Guard.  We need other viable battle line options that aren't slow, tanky, melee infantry.  Maybe some ranged infantry, maybe some more glass cannon infantry - at least by obr standards?  Like a unit of nadirite greatswords or pair blades with no shields and an offensive or movement based CA instead of shield wall?  That might be moving too far away from the core identity of the faction though.  Maybe changes to deathriders to make them a bit more viable as battleline - like counting wounds instead of models for claiming objectives, plus some additional heavy hitting support that could keep pace with them (chariots?  improvements to morghasts?).  I don't know, alternative OBR battleline could take any number of shapes.  Regardless of what exactly it looks like, we'll only start seeing other support units gain popularity relative to the crawler once we have different battleline options that need different kinds of support

Edited by Sception