AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

On 1/19/2021 at 11:32 PM, Sharklone said:

Lads. About to enter into a league that goes for 3 month (ish).

Tossing up between 3 Similar lists.

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Mortis Praetorians

Leaders
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
- General
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)

Artillery
Mortek Crawler (200)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Nightmare Predator (40)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

List 2 is the same, except swap out a unit of deathriders for Necropolis Stalkers.

List 3 Swaps out a unit of death riders for Arch Kavalos Zandtos, and the nightmare predator for a soulstealer Carrion

This is one of the most competitive builds for OBR in my book right now. Arkhan is great for the points and less fragile thanks to Katakros. Between the two of them, they can heal each other up to 6 wounds if needed and besides 1st turn alpha strike snipes "cough KO cough" then he can always stand back and even protection of Nagash as needed. Getting +1 to hit also makes Arkhan no joke in combat if the heehoo hits the fan.

The real power is the overlapping healing, getting up to 6 mortek back is just demoralizing. 

To ensure maximum advantage of RDP, healing and staying power, I would not recommend 2 msu units of kavalos, instead either go 10 man unit or replace 5 of them with either:

A harvester to really double down on the healing part, they also hit hard and all around solid

Another crawler, to make your ranged output a real threat

That would be my take, there really is only around 200 pts of wiggleroom here, but I think that choice really matters.

Has anyone ever tried running 80 Mortek guard? I been working on 60 for the last month and just finished. Thinking of Adding another box so I’ll have 40 with Spears and two units of 20 with swords. I expect I will rarely run all 80, but it sure looks cool.

Edited by Nullius

3 hours ago, Nullius said:

Has anyone ever tried running 80 Mortek guard? I been working on 60 for the last month and just finished. Thinking of Adding another box so I’ll have 40 with Spears and two units of 20 with swords. I expect I will rarely run all 80, but it sure looks cool.

Sounds to me you need to embrace the flame and the meme that is Crematorians. Sure is fun at 80 Mortek Guard.

Okay I asked previously about some lists for a potential league and I've narrowed it down to 2 lists. 

Essentially this.

Mortis Praetorions
Katakros
Zandtos
Soul Mason

20 mortek

20mortek

5 death riders

mortek crawler

mortek crawler

nightmare predator

OR

Same list but swap zandtos and the soulmason for Arkhan.

Thoughts?  A photo of the boys included minus one of the catapults.

148976119_253182629714121_464681618764324764_n.jpg

• Like 4

IMO in the current shooting meta you really need a 3-man immortis guard unit if you're going to take Arkhan, he's just too fragile and easy to snipe down otherwise. The unit is kinda junk in any other list, but with Arkhan, it's actually worth it I think, because it keeps him alive for another full turn of shooting; without them, he's usually dead by the end of T2 at the very latest, and he's only worthwhile if you can keep him alive and healing stuff double that long. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 1

Musings upon the structure and function of the walking dead of Fallen Ossia

—From Cornelius VonSilence - Ipissimus and Dean of Shyishian Artes, frater of the most honorable and Esteemed College of Hallowheart - to Lord Commander, Magister of Hammerhal and a judiciary representative of the Stormcast Eternals during this time of tribulations, Aventus Firestrike.

Greetings Magister! It has been too long since we have spoken face to face, and so I resort to this missive as a means of sharing the fruits of my latest research. I hope it finds you well and that the samples I have provided have arrived undamaged. (And inanimate!)

It is well established that the walking dead of Ossia, the so-called Ossiarch Empire of Katakros the Undefeated, march in service to the God of Death and Lord of Nagashizzar. Furthermore it is a well established fact that the once peaceful shades of this pastoral underworld have been remade into a weapon of war more formidable and puissant than any mere shambling by-blow of aetherstorm or mad sorcerer’s art. 

As coal can be melded with iron to forge steel, so too are these magnificent and terrible creatures an alloy of multiple necromantic manifestations and curses, greater than the strength of their constituent parts. 

What, then, are these constituents I endeavored to discover? How is the grim corpus of the so-called “BoneReaper” constructed and by what fell arts is it given the semblance of life and, indeed, terrible intellect and skill? This is the subject of this missive.

At the cost of a great many fine young men and women, I have procured the inert and fragmentary remains of no less than eight of these terrible creatures from various battlefields near the tragedy of the  Harrowgate in the Waning  of last year., and I have begun to discern the answers to some of these questions. These answers have both terrified me, and frankly delighted me with their monstrous ingenuity! 

.....more to follow.

Edited by Nullius

...cont’d

A TAXONOMY OF DEATH

It is a matter of little difficulty for a mage versed in the arts of death magic to anchor a vortex of wind from far-off shyish in the remains of a dead thing. A house of ill reputation, for example can act as a lodestone for the aether of far-off shyish. A rose clipped from the bush, or a timepiece does equally Well. Indeed, any symbol of death can act as such an anchor. No object pulls so hard on the winds of shyish, however, than the remains of the unsanctified dead.

The most elementary, vulgar, and vile act of necromancy is to use this wind and bind it to flesh so as to make it dance as some macabre marionette by the will of the magician. Of course this crude manifestation of power is no more lasting than the willpower, available concentration, and available storehouse of motive power possessed by the wizard to created it. A skeleton so animated is likely to collapse as soon as the mage’s mind wanders. A deadwalker will last rather longer, as thew and sinew and organ are semi-intact and prevent the bones from disintegrating. But even these putrid creations are merely a temporary cantrip, and liable to collapse without deeper sorcery to sustain them. 

The next class of walking dead takes advantage of the mortal soul as a vessel for necromantic energy. All souls act as retransmission and storage media for the various aethers of the Mortal Realms, and the balance of such humors in the soul’s mechanism does much to dictate the shape of the mortal in question. A nearly departed soul in anguish can be fastened, with some difficulty, into a physical object wherein it acts as a repository for motive energy and will.  Properly prepared, this vortex of power will begin to sustain itself without the necromancer’a attention, as a fire in the hearth continues to burn for some time unattended.

Such a curse is infinitely more lasting if the spirit in question is bound into the remains of its OWN once mortal body, the axioms of sympathetic death magic being as they are. (Ref. The Purple Sums of Xereus, Xereus Amaranthine -chapter 4, pg 33,472)  These sorts of undead can, depending on the severity of the curse and the prevailing winds of magic, last for a very long time indeed. Some such curses, such as the dreaded Soulblight curse, does not even need a magical source of power to persist -eager as they are to drink deep of the living energies of their victims to power their curse eternally. 

The blasted Nighthaunt, of course, have no need for a physical body, but are anchored only lightly to the realm they haunt. Largely unable batten themselves on the humors of mortals, the Nighthaunt are largely an elemental force that waxes strong as the winds of shyish do so, and then retreat to their bolt holes to smoulder like spiritual embers until sufficient aetheric power present itself again. Only beings able to aggregate and harness enormous aetheric power are able to wield the Nighthaunt as a mortal man would wield an army, and such beings are thankfully rare, and so a haunting is mostly a rare and desultory thing (notwithstanding catastrophes like the so called “Necroquake”)

The Body of a so-called Bonereaper is none of these, and yet partakes of all of them in part...

Edited by Nullius

A PRISON OF BONE

Careful dissection and dismantling of specimens in my private laboratory has revealed that beneath the apparently skeletal exterior of the BoneReaper is a mechanism of fiendish sophistication.

Some notes before we begin: BoneReapers are, as belied by their exceedingly robust appearance, in large part hollow! They are exceedingly sturdy but also much lighter-weight than they appear, lending them a swiftness we rarely associate with the undead. The form of the BoneReaper is superficially that of a skeleton, but this in itself is ceremonial. Certainly the armies of the Lord of Undeath might have taken a form more macabre and bizarre than it is healthy to contemplate, so we might be surprised that these works of artifice are always roughly humanoid is size and body plan. This is not coincidental, after all the FORM of the skeleton (whatever it’s subtle variations) is as Sacred to the great necromancer as the form of a hammer is to mighty Sigmar Above! But a skeleton is also a powerful locus of death magic in it’s own right. The astromanic symbolism of the walking dead is a critical part of the symbolic framework. We might refer to this symbolic framework as the first magical component in the bonereaper’s construction.

After disassembly and some careful consideration it might be stated that an Ossiarch legionary consists largely of five components working in harmony. The first is it’s above mentioned symbolic and morbid morphology, which inspires terror and draws the wind of shyish like a lodestone draws iron filings.

Secondly, Starting at the device’s core, we have a skeleton very much like the skeleton of a human, aelf, or duardin. It is cast in actual once-living bone, seemingly rendered down and reformed to purpose with no evidence of physical tooling.  There are clever points of superior leverage that would lend such a skeleton great strength in the flesh, and some bones interface in hinges, sockets, and piston-like structures which no purely natural process could conceivably  grow. Furthermore, alchemical treatments which would surely kill any living being have infused the core, hereafter called the endoskeleton, with great tensile and compressive strength, having an almost metallic quality and the dark hue of ancient fossil. All these elegant refinements notwithstanding, the endoskeleton is very much comparable in dimension and proportion to the skeleton of a mortal man. This is critical, for it will be a mortal spirit, or a small host of them at least, that propels this skeleton along and without this harmony of form such an animation might prove awkward or even impossible. 

Thirdly, there is a hollow space where a mortal body might contain muscle, sinew, humor, and organ. For an active BoneReaper, this hollow is filled with unsubstantial ethereal flesh, pressed flush to the endoskeleton in a skin of dark sorcery. The spirit stuff races through and circulates through the hollow spaces of the body, animating the endoskeleton in the same way that necromantic arts could animate the actual skeleton of a mortal corpus. The endoskeletal head of the BoneReaper, although without a nose mouth or analogue to a jaw, is still very much a skull. It allows a high, hollow chamber and vantage for the spirit stuff of the bonereaper to stare out through two hollow eye sockets, giving the beings the characteristic glowing eyes often reported by our heroic guardsmen on the field of battle. This glow is doubtless the formless ghiest-stuff of the BoneReaper shining through from the interior skull.

Fourthly, wrapped around this interior hollow is a lightweight and artfully sculpted framework, hereafter referred to as the exoskeleton. The exoskeleton is of a far more flexible material than the endoskeleton and is a fixed to the endoskeleton with alchemical welds accomplished by no art I dare comprehend. This exoskeleton has much in common with ordinary bone, being mostly pale in color and containing hollows for organs, channels for absent blood vessels, and voids where sinew might attach. This is mostly ceremonial or vestigial however as none of these structures exist on the exterior of the creature. Furthermore BoneReapers are typified by peculiar fans, phalanges, and tentacle-like protrusions of bone which may be-in part artistic follies, or may be essential accumulators of deathly aetheric energy necessary to drive the creature relentlessly forward regardless of prevailing magical winds. I feel these follies are likely both at once, a melding of the bonewright’s art and the necromancer’s science!

Most artfully, a sculpted death mask, as individual to each BoneReaper and as distinct from the next as your face is from mine, is locked across and welded to the interior featureless skull like a muzzle. I believe the function of these exterior masks is, in part, to distinguish one of these creations from the next. Alternatively, these death masks, which are frozen in various expressions of rage, grief, or even mordant and sardonic joy may reflect the humors of the composite being constrained within and help to bind them to the corpus. Most likely these death masks are simply intended to terrify us, which -having seen them closer than most- I can attest they certainly do.

The primary mechanical function of the exoskeleton is to protect the hollows occupied by the interior Ghiest form, to powerfully reinforce the endoskeleton in a composite action, and -most subtly of all- to bind the ghiest form of the BoneReaper tight  to the endoskeleton -preventing its escape by sealing the creature like a wax seal on a bottle. The interior surfaces of this exoskeleton have subtle curses engraved into them, forbidding the passage of spirit matter. The spirit of the BoneReaper is thus trapped, as the string of a viola is trapped in tension between its two ends. Between the fixed spiritual surfaces of the exo and endoskeletons a powerful spiritual pressure builds up, providing the explosive strength of the fully animated creature. 

Why, you might ask, should such efforts be made to trap a spirit? Well I have surmised that this has to do with the peculiarities of the thaumaturgical design of the ghiest itself. Not only is this being presumed to be unrelated to the bone used in its physical construction (and hence having no sympathetic connection beyond the osseous material and symbolic form), but I theorize there are MULTIPLE different spiritual essences all trapped together in this spiritual prison. Rather than being at odds, however, these fragments of once-living beings are ALSO welded together by some act of necromancy so subtle and diabolical I dare not consider it’s particulars. That said, without the cage of the body, these disparate and mutilated souls would certainly disintegrate and flee to their respective final resting places if not for the cage of the Bonereaper’s body and for one final terrifying component.

on each BoneReaper is affixed a black gemstone of purest shade glass, an extravagance so profound, sourcing and creating just a handful of these mechanisms could impoverish the city of Hallowheart! Somehow the great necromancer has fist-sized gems of cut shade glass enough to build legions! And the function of the shade glass? It’s position and orientation are the key.

the cut of the gem orients the reflecting crown of the gem inward, affixed to the chest of the creature. The lightning-rod pavilion of the gem faces outwards and conducts aetheric power directly into the creatures hollow interior, but the flat reflecting surface of the gem’s crown, facing directly Into the chest cavity, is where the sinister miracle happens.

I theorize that the shade glass is the ultimate anchor for the mutilated spirit of the BoneReaper, a spiritual gravity so intense that escape is impossible -and indeed- if the ghiest form should ever be so weakened that the bonereaper’s effectiveness be compromised, it’s weakness leaves it powerless against the spiritual gravity of the shadeglass thus causing it to be drawn immediately and with violent force  back into the reflecting interior face of the gem. Thus, even if the exoskeleton is sufficiently damaged to allow the animating spirit to begin to dissipate, this loss in spiritual pressure immediately and violently draws the hapless composite soul back into the oubliette of the shadeglass. A prison within a prison, if you will,  where the soul can wait in bondage for the body to be remade and sent back into battle again. Ingenious! And terrible to imagine!

Thus we have a composite consisting of a stiff interior Skeleton encapsulated by and welded to a flexible exterior skeleton, containing between them the trammeled and mutilated spirits of many mortal beings and anchored to a reflecting surface of shadeglass sunken into the creature’s thorax or skull -rending them effectively immortal but also eternally imprisoned. 

How can we possibly defeat such awful creations of dark magic?! THAT, my dear magister, is the subject of the next chapter. 

...to be continued

Edited by Nullius

At the very least, there will be official rules for the warband itself, including legal points for pitched battle.  So whatever this thing is, it will be playable, even if it doesn't represent a new unit.

But it hopefully does represent a new unit.  'Infantry liege' is one of the handful of noticeably unoccupied niches in OBR after their initial wave, along with 'ranged infantry', 'ranged cavalry', 'morghast hero', and 'big monster' - the harvester being more a support piece.  Maybe something similar to the stonehorn or the old sphinx kit that can carry a couple hero options or be fielded with some regular troops on top as a non-hero behemoth.

There's also a couple potential kits that are less mechanical gaps than narrative ones.  First, given the importance of taking and fortifying land in the OBR lore - it's more or less what they were created for, to slowly expand their empire until there's nowhere left for the living to, well, live- some big wall/gate/fortification type terrain like the custom pieces used in their launch reveal would be very nice.  Second, I feel like there should be some sort of OBR chariots, given the prominence of chariots in Katakros's backstory as well as their iconic place in the Tomb Kings line that OBR are a kind of sort of reincarnation of.

So, anyway, yeah, infantry liege would be cool, and this big tall thing with an ax looks like it could be that.  Iirc though, there was a mortisan rune on that axe in the rumor engine pic, so maybe it's another redundant and unwanted melee wizard to join Vokmortian and the Soulreaper collecting dust on the display shelf.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sception said:

So, anyway, yeah, infantry liege would be cool, and this big tall thing with an ax looks like it could be that.  Iirc though, there was a mortisan rune on that axe in the rumor engine pic, so maybe it's another redundant and unwanted melee wizard to join Vokmortian and the Soulreaper collecting dust on the display shelf.

Well I’d say it’s very likely a named-character SoulReaper, given the Mortisan cartouche on the axe and the head dress which is the same head dress as on the soul-reaper. 

7 hours ago, Nullius said:

Well I’d say it’s very likely a named-character SoulReaper, given the Mortisan cartouche on the axe and the head dress which is the same head dress as on the soul-reaper. 

Ah the Soul Reaper, I got one in a box for over a year now, never bothered putting it together...

22 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Ah the Soul Reaper, I got one in a box for over a year now, never bothered putting it together...

Haha me neither. It is such a beautiful model, though. I suspect the secret of the soul reaper is that 3rd edition AoS will have a 500 point game-mode like 40k’s combat patrol, and that models like the SoulReaper,  or even Eltharion are mostly Intended to be HQ’s for use in those small games.

7 hours ago, Nullius said:

Haha me neither. It is such a beautiful model, though. I suspect the secret of the soul reaper is that 3rd edition AoS will have a 500 point game-mode like 40k’s combat patrol, and that models like the SoulReaper,  or even Eltharion are mostly Intended to be HQ’s for use in those small games.

Even then the boneshapers healing seem more efficient and overall the 140 pts for the soulmason is a far better value for casting, 2+ casts and 2 unbinds. Perhaps this new warband guy will be a more interesting soul reaper, the warscroll spell certainly can't get worse, however they could also do as the chaos warband and just have no warscroll spell and be worse in every way ;)

Hello my fellow bone collectors!
So I ve recently took participation in a 12 people tournament (my second  as an OBR player) .it was hard, fun and a lot of insane luck for me and some unluck dice  rolls for my opponents...But what really matters were some thoughts to discuss. The list i played was mortis pretorians:
-Katakros
-Zandos
-mortek crawler
-harvester
-40 morteks
-20 morteks
-5 kavalos riders
I decided to cut off all magick, since Obr are not really good in. Yes we have Arkhan and he is nice, but unfortunatly spells do not matter as his move does,no good consistant attacking spells. Other small guys are either terrible or do not do enough on my opinion especially  fighting against better enemy casters, like Croak or Arkhan. So this list has a lot of discipline generation from big daddy and zandos, you almost always burn it down for extra move and shield wall so having extra for buffing melee is awesome. Also I thought that running both Katakros and liege is overkill but appears you can now split your army into 2-3 good individual parts to operate on different sides of the board. As for crawler, i changed opinion from "totally useless but scary boogyman" into "oh so it has a chance to oneshot Croak on the first turn wow". The cursed stelle you cant really rely on but I didnt find something else to deal with overprotected but nasty heroes. The "scary effect" is still on board, in 2 games out of 3 people invested to deal with the crawler more resources then it deservered.  .The last thing came to my mind was that as a former LoN player my first instinct was to add res guy but its a trap as I see it, better to take extra 10 morteks . In katakros build you dont need  shapers, mortach and harvester can be really enough
Finished harvester as a prize for reading to the end :D

kLywOl2m898.jpg

Sa6t_HKwCyY.jpg

lvA8qiwKmBo.jpg

• Like 1

List looks very solid.  I've been having similar thoughts re: our wizards.  Things would be different if we had a subfaction that boosted our own spellcasting, but as is Arkhan's too fragile, Nagash too expensive, and the other casters just cant reliably get their spells off.  Lieges on the other hand bring disciplin points that just work, no casting or dispelling to worry about.

how did your individual games go?  Did the harvester get work done, or did it just get pucked out for early removal?  What other armies did you see?

47 minutes ago, Sception said:

List looks very solid.  I've been having similar thoughts re: our wizards.  Things would be different if we had a subfaction that boosted our own spellcasting, but as is Arkhan's too fragile, Nagash too expensive, and the other casters just cant reliably get their spells off.  Lieges on the other hand bring disciplin points that just work, no casting or dispelling to worry about.

how did your individual games go?  Did the harvester get work done, or did it just get pucked out for early removal?  What other armies did you see?

Harvester was a good boy. Did  a lot
First game was battle for the pass against old schoolish LoN with doggies, vamp lord on dragon with -1 to wound aura artefact, arkhan battalion with mortis and necroes and a chunk of 30 reapers.  Overall it was a wall-against-wall game, opponent could actually beat me up but made lots of mistakes, vamp lord was too far flanking, reapers were too close to the screen and too strached across the board so he couldnt concentrate power to break throw all save rerols and res and was almost wipped out
second one was interesting, full packed turnament seraphon list, dracotion tail, salamanders, slaan,croak with bodyrads, 30 pipe skinks with priest and astrolabia guy. I gave up the first turn hoping to catch double, he couldnt burn out anything valuebale exept morteks and riders then ( 40 too many to kill all and 20 were under harvesters protection while harvester itself was out of salamsnders reach) and i needed 2 move phases to charge him. it payed off really well, first drop of slann with salamanders and skinks were cut down and then crawler smashed croak on lucky 11+ roll with cursed stella. Then we rolled off and as I hoped I got double (though croak was dead and were no need in rush) . Crawler totally was MVP, toads could really erase me with mortal wounds if they d have a couple more turns...mission was comet strikes
Last one was nasty as hell. Scorched earth,8 objectieves, lots of wyldwood forests and my enemy is sylvaneth: winterleaf, Durtu,Dreacha, archregent, 6 cc kurnoti, 3 others with bows ,3 with swords and couple of small units of dryads and teleporting gyus (dont remember the name). I really messed up with my deployment, strached a lot and put my 40 morteks not in the center but closer to the left side face to face with 6 kurnoti and durty which IMMEDIATLY teleported with the awekend forest to the  other side of the map...then kurnoti failed 6 inch charge against riders...twice. These happy survivours would burn 3 enemy objectives later in the game ^) There were lots of running, harvester and riders changed position and rushed into opponents deployment zone, 40 block rushed right to face main opposing force, 20 morteks.zandos were trying to stay alive and crawler was just baiting Durtu and as i believe really won some time for me to relocate army. In the end I burned with harvester and riders all 4 enemy objectives and hold 2 of my own and won with 1 WP ahead

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SilverJelly said:

The list I'm wanting to run centers around Katakros keeping his Supreme Leader 36in buff range for the +1 attack and +1 save. Would a Boneshaper be enough to support Katakros or should I invest in Immortis Guard. 

Honestly you dont need to support Katakros. He heals himself and is on a 2+ save. Bring a soulmason to help re roll 1s on your army instead then the rest should be units.

12 hours ago, Shawry said:

Heya everyone,

Does anyone have an ok list for 1k? I'm looking at building up to a 2k list and can't decide what way I should go. Either lots of guard or riders,

Does anyone have any input?

Cheers

A lot of guard would be the more competitive build but I really like the Deathriders. I am building a list that I think would be pretty competitive and gives me the best of both worlds. It's listed below.

Mortis Praetorian

Katakros

Arch Liege Kavalos

15 Deathriders
20 Mortek Guard
10 Mortek Guard

Mortek Crawler
Mortek Crawler

I think it has good treat range, good combat ability, and good staying power. Number of bodies is still an issues, but I'd rather had the Deathriders. Haha