AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

Sun is coolest, in a casual game I'd go with that for theme & aesthetics, but it's very unreliable & can be thrown back in your face.   Pendulum is safer and lets you put more damage on individual targets, so if you want to make arkhan as threatening as possible, that's the best.

alternatively, you could use those 50 points to add 10 more morteks if you field them as 40-20-10.  That's probably what I would do.  with only 20 count squads, you run the risk of losing whole squads at a time before you'd have a chance to heal anything.  Thatps much harder with a 40 count that's much harder, also gives you a better target for your buffs.

The 10 count squad's a bit weak, but can still be useful camping objectives or screening fir your casters.  The 20 squad is threatening but still vulnerable, but if the enemy focuses on them then they're letting the max squad trample the board unopposed.

I do wish there was an easy way to fit a liege in there.  Endless duty us a big deal, and he's good support for the stalkers, especially if you get the helm of the ordained on him.  You could keep the mason and drop both endless spells and the shaper, but without any offensive endless spells arkhan is a lot less threatening.

That's not a terrible idea, squeezing in a Leige with Helm instead of the Mason. I need RDP instead of his spellcasting.. I'll play around with the list.

And yeah, Pendulum was probably where I was going.

Predator is cheaper and unreliable, but can't hurt me.

Sun could do serious damage to my infantry.

Pendulum at least, keeps going.

predator's not bad, especially cast by something like a soul mason with the reservoir.  I'm skeptical of throwing out bound spells with arkhan, though, since a big part of why you'd want arkhan in the first place is his casting bonus, and as long as your maintaining concentration on an endless spell he loses a point of that bonus.  There's a big difference between +1 to cast and +2 to cast in terms of reliably getting spells over enemy unbinding attempts.  My own arkhan lists only run a single bound endless - usually the shrieker - and even then only if I'm running another caster along side him to cast it from.

What to cast with Arkhan is tricky.  Protection of Nagash is obvious if the opponent has any ranged offense at all.  After that, though...  empower nadirite weapons and reinforce battleshields are your staple buffs, so you kind of want to cast them with Arkhan's bonuses, but I maintain that Arcane Command is our best spell if you aren't already flush with RD points, and most of the time Arkhan lists won't be.  Drain Vitality can be critical if your opponents have some of those relatively common 'extra thing happens on a 6 to hit' abilities, and mortal contract is just a really fun spell.  And that's to say nothing of chaingunning a few arcane bolts out, or going for a yolo curse of years when a situation's so bad that nothing else has a chance of helping.

Even with three casts per turn, it often feels like not enough.

Edited by Sception

Hi, I am a Nighthaunt Player and I only play casual games with Friends. I think of starting an OBR Army. Can you please Check the following list with the things I Like to buy. How importent are the endless Spells? I have No in my list... Big mistake? I have No Idea which artefacts or Spells. Should I have more Heroes?

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Petrifex Elite
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Spear and Shield
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)

Units
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (400)

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (200)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

1 hour ago, Mordread said:

Hi, I am a Nighthaunt Player and I only play casual games with Friends. I think of starting an OBR Army. Can you please Check the following list with the things I Like to buy. How importent are the endless Spells? I have No in my list... Big mistake? I have No Idea which artefacts or Spells. Should I have more Heroes?

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Spear and Shield
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)

Units
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (400)

Behemoths

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

Helm of the Ordained on the leige Kavalos would be a good shout to buff the riders or the stalkers but you would need a battalion to get the extra artefact.  You've almost got the mortisan trident battalion, you'd just need a soulreaper in there iirc, Which you'd have the points to do minus one of the harvesters.

Endless spell wise bone tithe shrieker is the best of the bunch. Spell wise I'd go arcane command and protection of Nagash especially if one of the wizards is going to be your general.

Edited by El Syf

How does the Bonereapers stop Fyreslayers? I will soon be having my first reapers vs Slayers game against one of my friends and I find it hard to figure out how OBR stop the usual bunch of 20+ Hearthguard Psychoes, plus a Magma droth and whatsnot.

- We are (sort of) slow, so forget outmanuvering the harrylittle monsters.

- Don’t have any effective chaff against the barrage of mortal wounds thats bound to hit from their funny looking hammers.

- Have way too little shooting to take down the 3-4 heroes needed to soften up the bearded toddlers. 

My army so far is build around Nagash, because im a huge fan boy. 

Edited by Greasygeek

3 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

How does the Bonereapers stop Fyreslayers? I will soon be having my first reapers vs Slayers game against one of my friends and I find it hard to figure out how OBR stop the usual bunch of 20+ Hearthguard Psychoes, plus a Magma droth and whatsnot.

- We are (sort of) slow, so forget outmanuvering the harrylittle monsters.

- Don’t have any effective chaff against the barrage of mortal wounds thats bound to hit from their funny looking hammers.

- Have way too little shooting to take down the 3-4 heroes needed to soften up the bearded toddlers. 

My army so far is build around Nagash, because im a huge fan boy. 

They are a hard counter because of the strenght and damage of the Berzekers. I can give you some aids, but that's all.

• Try to kill their heroes with Mortek Crawlers.
  • Gothizzar gives you a nice sustain.
  • Drain Vitality makes they repeat hits and saves when 6.
  • Reinforced Shields can help you with the mortal wound save of 5++.
  • -1 to hit with the nexus.

Greetings

PD:  Drain Vitality is the best counter for them. A unit of 20 Berzerkers deal 41 attacks at 3/3/-/1 and every 6 deals 1 hit and 2MW. They will deal around 14MWs on average (Seven 6 for 41 attacks), so you can cut the damage by 1/6 using Drain Vitality. The average damage of the 41 attacks Vs Mortek Guards saving on 3, repeating all with 6++ save is 13-14 unsaved wounds on average, but if you use Drain Vitality, the output damage goes down to 3-4 wounds on average.

Edited by ACBelMutie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/23/2020 at 8:57 PM, ACBelMutie said:

They are a hard counter because of the strenght and damage of the Berzekers. I can give you some aids, but that's all.

• Try to kill their heroes with Mortek Crawlers.
  • Gothizzar gives you a nice sustain.
  • Drain Vitality makes they repeat hits and saves when 6.
  • Reinforced Shields can help you with the mortal wound save of 5++.
  • -1 to hit with the nexus.

Greetings

PD:  Drain Vitality is the best counter for them. A unit of 20 Berzerkers deal 41 attacks at 3/3/-/1 and every 6 deals 1 hit and 2MW. They will deal around 14MWs on average (Seven 6 for 41 attacks), so you can cut the damage by 1/6 using Drain Vitality. The average damage of the 41 attacks Vs Mortek Guards saving on 3, repeating all with 6++ save is 13-14 unsaved wounds on average, but if you use Drain Vitality, the output damage goes down to 3-4 wounds on average.

The problem with that is the item to avoid spells effect with a 4+.

28 minutes ago, Grimoriano said:

The problem with that is the item to avoid spells effect with a 4+.

Fyreslayers are a hard match. Try using 2 big blocks of Mortek Guards (40+40+10) and 1 or 2 Gothizzars. It's a list prepared to counter (or to try to) another list with 2 extra powerful units of 20 berzerkers each one. 

Greetings. 

• Thanks 1

Hello fellow bonecollectors,

i need some help with finding my army direction.

Right now i have the following: 

1x Nagash

1x Soulmason

1x Soulreaper

20x Mortek Guard

5x Deathriders

3x Immortis Guard

2x Morghast Archai
Endless Spells

Before i come to my list ideas i will talk about about my meta.

We normaly (aka. non-Corona) play in a 1500p CTL league on 48x48 boards. There are some other OBR, Ironjaws, Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth, Starcast, LoN, DoK, Nighthaunt Reaper spam, Bloodthirster spam.

I definitely want to field Nagash. So i was thinking about the following:

Nagash list 1:

Petrifex

880p Nagash

260p 20x Mortek

180p 5x Deathriders

180p 5x Deathriders

Nagash list 2:

880p Nagash

260p 20x Mortek

130p 10x Mortek

180p 5x Deathriders

30p Bonetithe Shrieker

Which would you prefer?

When i am not feeling to field Nagash, i want to have an alternative list. I am set on a Liege Kavalos and then it comes to the following question: catapults, stalkers or a mix?

list 1: catapults 1000p

petrifex

200p Liege

140p Soulmason
260p Mortek

180p Deathriders
200p Mortek Crawler

20p Carrion

I love shooting. Which is a big plus for this list. When expanding to 1500p i would field a second crawler and another Deathrider unit (+lance batallion). Or better another crawler and 10 Mortek with the balistari batallion?

list 2: stalkers

200p Liege 

140p Soulmason

260p Mortek

180p Deathriders

200p Stalkers

20p Carrion

I have heard of the deathpotenial of the stalkers and i love the models. And i don't like my Immortis Guard (why did i build them in the first place?🙈) so i would try to change them into stalkers to. That would save me some money for my 1500p list with 6 stalkers.

Thanks for your help.:)

For a 1500 point nagash list, I don't think you're going to do better than Petrifex, Nagash, 20 morteks, 2x5 kav.  At least, not if the format is 2k-500 points, ie 3 required battle line units.  If the format is instead 1k+500 points, with only 2 required battle line, then I'd go with Nagash, 40 morteks, and 1x5 kav instead.

Immortis aren't terrible.  Multiple melee weapons means they take buffs decently, particularly +1 attack from a liege or Katakros.   And the protection they offer is nice for keeping your small heroes from being sniped before the game starts.  As for bigger heroes, a few immortis can help you get a lot more use out of Katakros's advisors.  They're also nice for Nagash or especially Arkhan for turn one protection before you can put up protection of nagash, though admittedly Nagash is pricey enough that you can't really afford immortis at normal game sizes.  With Arkhan in particular, they make a good walking bunker to teleport back to after PoN procs.

The main problem is that they're just too expensive points-wise for what they do in an army that just doesn't have the points to spare, but points are updated every year in this game.  It's pretty common knowlege that immortis are overpriced, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a points decrease for them, and it woyldn't take too much of one to make them reasonably viable, imo.

So if you like them for their models and their style, I'd hold on on tearing them apart, at least until thus year's general's handbook, which will determin if they'll be worth plating for the next year or so.

However, if you just don't like how they play regardless of points, if you prefer a faster, more independant threat, no points changes will turn immortis into that.  If that's what you want then yeah, rip them down and rebuild them as stalkers.

That said, at your points value & with the rest of your collection, I think a harvester or crawler would be a better use of that 200 points than either 3 immortis or 3 stalkers.  You're very light on mortek, which really are the backbone of this army, and if you're not ready to buy & paint a bunch more infantry than a harvester would at least help the ones you have last longer.  On the other hand, a crawler is just fantastic utility, with tools to tgreaten buff heroes you otherwise can't reach, or chew through hordes that could otherwise overwhelm or just bog down your smaller units, and I can't overstate the value of being abke to pick out and kill a specific model in a unit, even if only once per game.  Picking out and removing an important icon or champion, or even just preventing the opponent from stringing out, can have a profound effect on the game.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sception said:

For a 1500 point nagash list, I don't think you're going to do better than Petrifex, Nagash, 20 morteks, 2x5 kav.  At least, not if the format is 2k-500 points, ie 3 required battle line units.  If the format is instead 1k+500 points, with only 2 required battle line, then I'd go with Nagash, 40 morteks, and 1x5 kav instead.

Wow, thanks man for all your thoughts. I appreciate it a lot!

We play 2k-500p, so i need 3 battleline units. Why 2x5 kav+20 Mortek over 20 Mortek+10 Mortek+5 kav? Shouldn't i bring more bodies?

I am not a fan of Arkhan so Immortis still don't have a staying point.😄

I guess i will just wait for the GHB2020 and then decide what i will do with them.

Today i got myself a liege and next week the crawler will find its way into my collection.😛

I guess shooting and versatility sound just too good. 
And depending on my Nagash list question i will get another Mortek guard or Deathriders box.

Morteks are great, but 10 don't really outfight much.  IMO you'll get more utility out of the kav's speed.  Though dropping down would let you afford an offensive endless spell, maybe the pendulum, up up nagash's offensive threat, so it could go either way.  Would def take an offensive spell over the shrieker if you go that route, though.  Shrieker's good, but you're not really running enough dudes to properly capitalize on it.  Plus I don't like to cast bound soells with Nagash.  Half the point of him is the huge casting bonus, and concentrating on a bound spell can eat into that.

• Like 1

Joining a Tournament next month and going to bring my reapers, currently my plan is a mortarch bros list:

Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
- General
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
- 2x Soulcleaver Greatblades
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- 2x Soulcleaver Greatblades
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Soulstealer Carrion (20)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

I am not 100% sure on this though, especially with the crawler, even though I like to have some long range presence, it could also be doing very little and require babysitting from chaff skirmishers. I have considered dropping it for either Morghast harbingers to have access to flying, or beef up the 5 riders to a 10 man unit, or maybe even get a Harvester, to make those guards even tougher where needed.

Arkhan and Katakros can both heal 3 wounds to 3 and 4 units each, this allows me to bring back up to 6 mortek in both units, and also heal other things or the heroes can heal themselves and each other for super high sustain, which should help out a lot against ranged and MW peppering armies.

changing the crawler to a harvester would probably help in melee slogs, making my lines extra grindy and the harvester needs to die completely, otherwise I can heal it a lot. Having 5 more riders in a unit would make them more effective and a fighting force to be feared instead of just potent skirmishers and efficiency with combat activations and RDP is of course also a thing that supports fewer and stronger units.

I am very torn about this, if anyone got ideas please do chip in :)

Hey all,

Thinking about a Stalliarch lords 2k list

Liege

2 X boneshapers

10 x Deathriders

10 x Deathriders

2 x crawlers

4 x Morghasts

Thoughts? Basically want to move fast and hit hard, was thinking of running one 15 unit and one 5 unit and dropping 2 Morghasts to add the battalion and endless spells,

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Shawry said:

Hey all,

Thinking about a Stalliarch lords 2k list

Liege

2 X boneshapers

10 x Deathriders

10 x Deathriders

2 x crawlers

4 x Morghasts

Thoughts? Basically want to move fast and hit hard, was thinking of running one 15 unit and one 5 unit and dropping 2 Morghasts to add the battalion and endless spells,

Thoughts?

Basically anything that can tie up your crawlers will do so, as this army does not want to hang around and babysit them. Deathriders are super fast, boneshapers are not and have limited range, so not sure how much they will benefit you here. I also think bringing the battalion is worth it to save on rdp and gain another artifact, so your kavalos can get helm of the ordained +1 hit bubble.

I would probably go for this:

- Legion: Stalliarch Lords
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Twisted Challenge
- Artefact: Helm of the Ordained
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- Artefact: Nadir-bound Mount
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons
10 x Kavalos Deathriders (360)
4 x Morghast Harbingers (420)
- Spirit Swords
Kavalos Lance (120)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 118

Remember you need 3 battleline as well. While missing out on potential healing (steeds can only be brought back if no wounds are allocated to the unit missing the rider) a Mason will probably work better, both with 2 unbinds by himself, and his reroll 1s for potentially multiple units with 24", will help make him an asset more easily. If really pushing it, I would probably also switch out the 4 morghasts with a 6 stalker unit, as they can reroll both run and charges, which works well with the stalliarch trait.

13 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Basically anything that can tie up your crawlers will do so, as this army does not want to hang around and babysit them. Deathriders are super fast, boneshapers are not and have limited range, so not sure how much they will benefit you here. I also think bringing the battalion is worth it to save on rdp and gain another artifact, so your kavalos can get helm of the ordained +1 hit bubble.

I would probably go for this:

- Legion: Stalliarch Lords
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Twisted Challenge
- Artefact: Helm of the Ordained
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- Artefact: Nadir-bound Mount
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons
4 x Morghast Harbingers (420)
- Spirit Swords
Kavalos Lance (120)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 118

Remember you need 3 battleline as well. While missing out on potential healing (steeds can only be brought back if no wounds are allocated to the unit missing the rider) a Mason will probably work better, both with 2 unbinds by himself, and his reroll 1s for potentially multiple units with 24", will help make him an asset more easily. If really pushing it, I would probably also switch out the 4 morghasts with a 6 stalker unit, as they can reroll both run and charges, which works well with the stalliarch trait.

Woah thank you, knew I was forgetting a lot. Just had my first game and want to move away from the elites legion

So the General's Handbook is immanent, and OBR have been out just long enough, and had just enough representation at events before the Covid crisis shut the competitive scene down, that I expect we will see some adjustments.  What are everyone's hopes and fears?  for me:

I hope to see points decreases for:

• Vokmortian
  • Soulreaper
  • morghasts
  • immortis guard

all of which I think are possible.  I'm not sure if points decreases alone would make the difference on these, mind.

Stalkers are enough more efficient than morghasts at more or less the same work that it would take a pretty heft decrease to make the difference.  Honestly, what morghasts need, what they've needed for a while is different rules.  Scrap the bravery debuff, give them something else better/more relevant.

Vokmortian, similarly, I just don't see a points decrease doing it for him.  Slow, fragile infantry wizards with spells and rules that want them to get close in is just a really bad starting place unless those rules are especially impressive, and Vok's aren't

Soulreaper is in a similar boat, but has the added selling point of already being our cheapest available hero model and indeed the cheapest individual unit in the army, so a further points decrease might make one worth fielding simply on the basis of not being about to afford to get anything else with those points.

Immortis Guard I do think mostly suffer from points inefficiency.  As I've argued before, their multiple melee weapons let them make decent use of buffs, and their bodyguard ability would be relevant for, like, most of our heroes, if only they weren't quite so expensive per wound.  I ran them in casual games, and they've done some work, the problem always felt to be less what they could do and more that they just cost too much to do it, so imo a points decrease could actually go a long way with them.  So while I wouldn't be shocked to see points decreases for any of the above listed units, for the Immortis Guard in particular I'm hopeful that such a decrease might actually have a meaningful impact on their playability.

On the other hand, I fear we'll see increases for:

• Katakros
  • Mortek Guard
  • Crawler

All of which, again, strike me as possible.

Katakros could, I think, absorb a bit of a points increase without being hurt *too* badly by it.  He really is very good, and you'll only ever be fielding one of him, so a small points increase wouldn't be multiplied over and over through the list.

A points increase for the Crawler would be more trouble.  Double crawler lists would double the impact, and 4x crawler lists might be killed outright.  Personally, I wouldn't be too upset to see 4x crawler lists go, but then again I didn't personally buy 4 crawlers, so that's easy for me to say.  Even with a hike to, like 220 points, though, I still think 1 to 2 crawlers would be a very common sight, as the utility they offer would still be quite significant, and not easily replaced by switching to something else.  So if the Crawlers do see a points increase, it would hurt, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm most worried about Mortek Guard, though.  They're basically the foundation of the army, there's not really a way to avoid fielding a bunch of them, so even a slight increase there would hit basically any OBR list extremely hard.  At the same time, I see a lot of complaints about Mortek's being too strong and too tough, especially in petrifex, particularly when fully buffed up with Relentless Discipline, with such complaints often ignoring just how much of the army's resources they're soaking up to get there.  Sure, Morteks *can* be move seven, with 3+ rerollable saves, 6+/4+ shrug, and three attacks each at AP-2, and yeah all that together IS an awful lot for 13 points a dude.  But that's only possible in petrifex, and maintaining that all the time on even a single unit requires 7 RD points - virtually all that many armies generate per turn - plus buffs from a 200 point character and a 200 point support unit, most of which the complaints just disregard....  So yeah, I am actually quite worried about this one.

If we don't see a Mortek Guard price hike, I'd be inclined to breathe a sigh of relief almost regardless of other points  changes..

Edited by Sception

23 minutes ago, Sception said:

So the General's Handbook is immanent, and OBR have been out just long enough, and had just enough representation at events before the Covid crisis shut the competitive scene down that I expect we will see some adjustments.  What are everyone's hopes and fears?  for me:

I hope to see points decreases for:

• Vokmortian
  • Soulreaper
  • morghasts
  • immortis guard

all of which I think are possible.  On the other hand, I fear we'll see increases for:

• Katakros
  • Mortek Guard
  • Crawler

All of which, again, strike me as possible.

I'm especially worried about Mortek Guard.  They're basically the foundation of the army, there's not really a way to avoid fielding a bunch of them, so even a slight increase there would hit very hard.

I actually think the Harvester might get an increase over the Crawler, seems to have more benefits to the army overall. I love Morghasts but have given up trying to figure out what GW will do with them, most people take stalkers anyway so unless they become cheaper than stalkers who  knows.

Yeah, Morghasts kind of needed a ground-up rethink in the OBR book, but they weren't the new models that the book was selling so they didn't get one.  Curiously enough, Nagash and Arkhan weren't new models either, but they both *did* get more extensive re-works, so... I don't even know.  Regardless, role wise morghasts *are* too close to stalkers, which are just better, and I don't see them getting enough of a points decrease to overcome that, and if they did it would just invalidate the stalkers, so it wouldn't be an improvement.  I have tons of ideas of how Morghasts could be fixed to be more unique and worthwhile, but wish listing and home brewing is neither here nor there.  Point is, it could easily have been done any number of ways, but wasn't, and since it isn't an easy points adjustment kind of fix I don't think there's any chance of correction on the horizon.  Not before a new OBR battle tome some time in the eventual/inevitable 3rd edition AoS.

Have the Harvesters gotten a lot of complaints?  They're not that tough, and unlike crawlers they need to be pretty close to the front lines to do their thing, which makes picking them out for removal rather straight forward.  Especially since they kind of need to do some melee damage to be really worth it, imo.  If you're just taking them to refresh morteks, then imo you would have been better using those points to buy more morteks.  The one dude I played with learned pretty quickly 

Edited by Sception

I pretty much feel the exact same as you @Sception. I'm not entirely sure that Katakros will get a points hike, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he did. I guess for Katakros, it will boil down to GW's confidence in putting him in at 500 points in the first place. I haven't ever heard a complaint saying that he's undercosted, so I hope they keep that in mind, and not increase him solely because he is used often. 

Mortek increase is a worry for me also, especially if it combines with an over nerf of Petrifex and / or lack or buff for other sub factions.  Also my worry has nothing to do with the fact that I am painting 50 of these guys at the moment and totally would hate to have to finish these whilst cry-painting....

Crawlers I can imagine going up to 220, which hurts the double crawler builds the most, but also the single crawler builds. they're just so swingy that I would definitely think twice adding just one for 220. 

Overall I think this will be a decisive GHB for OBR, more so than any other faction. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle Petrifex, if at all. I have a suspicion that any changes to PE will be token at best. As much as everyone knows how bonkers a +1 save and rend is across the board, its not like it was done without intention and that THAT long ago. So I am wondering if it's going to be the Hag Narr treatment. Then again, PE just is neck and shoulders above the rest that I think they kinda have to address it.