AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

43 minutes ago, KhorneySteve said:

I've tried arguing the point that stats are going to be slightly inflated for them as they are a completely new army, yes Petrifex is powerful but it's far from unbeatable. Just trying to establish if we will see some big nerfs to them or not

I played a small tourney yesterday and Petrifex won (albeit a Nagash, Arkhan and 3 x 10 Mortek list) - but I equalled or bettered the results (2 wins 1  loss) of 2 of the Petrifex Ossiarch players with my kooky SCE Starcast list. 

I don't think they are super OP and new releases need time to settle.

At the same time, wouldn't it be better if they levelled out the subfactions internally? Like even if Petrifex gets a pass (much as Hagg nar did) when we build an Ossiarch list, wouldn't it be nice to want to try null myriad, a wild Ivory Host list, or even a super cool mounted stalliarch list?

I'd propose they swap Bludgeon and Temper Fury (Ivory Host) for instance. Something like that.

Its still entirely possible that they get nerfed though. It probably depends on which GW design employee (and how influential they are) gets murdered by them at a grand tournament in their own free time.

Edited by Turragor

16 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I played a small tourney yesterday and Petrifex won (albeit a Nagash, Arkhan and 3 x 10 Mortek list) - but I equalled or bettered the results (2 wins 1  loss) of 2 of the Petrifex Ossiarch players with my kooky SCE Starcast list. 

I don't think they are super OP and new releases need time to settle.

At the same time, wouldn't it be better if they levelled out the subfactions internally? Like even if Petrifex gets a pass (much as Hagg nar did) when we build an Ossiarch list, wouldn't it be nice to want to try null myriad, a wild Ivory Host list, or even a super cool mounted stalliarch list?

I'd propose they swap Bludgeon and Temper Fury (Ivory Host) for instance. Something like that.

Its still entirely possible that they get nerfed though. It probably depends on which GW design employee (and how influential they are) gets murdered by them at a grand tournament in their own free time.

I completely agree, already want to try out the other subfactions as the artefact for Null Myriad is very powerful and the ability of Stalliarch lords is also very good. Just find it interesting as since release all I've heard is people complaining about Petrifex when the majority of them this weekend have yielded average results. I also have a local Sylvaneth player who has beaten them every time he's played them. 

Guys, whats the general opinion on Immortis Guard? I was planning to include them in a list with Katakros and a couple of casters to keep them safe from sniping attempts, but now they seem like a large-ish investment, considering that they compete with Stalkers points-wise. 

Unrelated, here is a new paint scheme that I'm starting: 

IMG_20200126_115424.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

10 minutes ago, Overread said:

@ChrisNoAnts neat a metallic to bloody bone type effect!

@chosen_of_khaine that's actually really exciting to see, not just because Deathriders are fantastic, but because its not a "perfect meta mortek guard spam" based list. Seeing diverse lists like that doing well is a good thing in terms of army variety. 

I want to say it is exciting because I love Deathriders but on Saturday a local tourney I was at had an OBR player place 1st with Nagash, Arkhan and 3x10 guard.

I think that list with 25 deathriders above may have gained its core strength from a petrifex nagash.  IE Take him in a petrifex OBR list and then 1100 points of whatever.

That said, Im curious about how it plays. Id love to try it (with maybe Katakros, Arkhan and the deathriders - I like the new models).

Edited by Turragor

5 hours ago, robpro said:

Managed to get my army fully painted in time for LVO, this is what I ran -

How'd it go? Looks like the doom and gloom about OBR wasn't reflected in the top 8 with just 1 OBR player. I'm curious if you saw a trend of OBR players loosing to specific strategies, battle plans, or if every army was geared in one way or another with OBR in mind.

2 hours ago, firtahl said:

How'd it go? Looks like the doom and gloom about OBR wasn't reflected in the top 8 with just 1 OBR player. I'm curious if you saw a trend of OBR players loosing to specific strategies, battle plans, or if every army was geared in one way or another with OBR in mind.

Honestly I think it's a bit of all of the above. The long text below is my opinion, I have no where near the experience needed to say I know 100% the answer

Due to the fact that, while powereful, OBR is quite an honest army. It is strong through sheer staying power, rather than through shenanigans like teleporting, fight first/last, fight twice, etc. IMO this leads to the following:

- You can build against them without hurting your list when facing other armies (it never hurts to have rend/MW). 

- They seem like a bit of a "gatekeeper army". If you don't know what you're doing, or you don't equip yourself properly, they will crush you with very little effort. But if you have the tools, they're quite manageable (almost like gotrek in a way) 

- Their low model count (and low total wound count), mixed with a medium speed means there are some scenarios that they definitely struggle with. (the mid speed is probably why the top list was quite cav heavy, and OBR cav is very fast)

Petrifex still needs a tweak, even just for the fact that some of OBR units need a little points decrease for other legions (not mortek), but you can't decrease their points with PE in its current state without risking tipping it over the edge. 

People love extremes, either something is super underpowered, or completely unbeatable. When in reality it's somewhere in between. 

Edited by NoMaDhOoK
Clarifictation
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, NoMaDhOoK said:

Petrifex still needs a tweak, even just for the fact that some of OBR units need a little points decrease, but you can't decrease their points with PE in its current state without risking tipping it over the edge. 

I've seen nothing but the opposite of this statement!!!!

From what i have seen people are getting very tired of specific PE lists and want them to get a points increase so that they see something different.

51 minutes ago, firtahl said:

I think people who put the time in had a pretty good idea about how to play against the army. The missions didn't especially play to the strengths of OBR and like someone else posted the army is "honest" in that you can basically see everything your opponent will be able to do after deployment.

Unfortunately some armies have a really rough time vs OBR because they don't do the kind of damage you need to do to beat them, or some people aren't used to having to play board control vs beat'em-up because board control is a lot less fun and more position heavy. It definitely can deal a lot of negative play experiences to people who aren't familiar with what it's trying to do.

I don't know what people typically lost to, I didn't really talk to a lot of the other OBR players. I lost to Joe Krier's Belakor round 3. He stopped my squad of 10 cavalry from moving turn 2 or 3 so he was able to get the instant win on bottom turn 3 (the scenario was blood and glory). 

• Like 1

Imo they should do the following: 

Praetorians - generate RDP on 5+ instead of -1 bravery

Petrifex - reduce rend by 1 instead of +1 save 

Ivory Host - +1 to wound instead of +1 to hit. 

Internal Balance fixed. 

People can now go for Praetorians to have 3+ Save with Katakros but no additional -1 rend. 

Petrifex is still strong against rend but very weak against mass shooting or many wounds without rend. 

Ivory Host would have the best raw output due to general wound rolls being very bad in this army. 

Edit: Other Legions are already fine. 

Edited by Phasteon
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 8:58 AM, Saxon said:

I've seen nothing but the opposite of this statement!!!!

From what i have seen people are getting very tired of specific PE lists and want them to get a points increase so that they see something different.

Yes, people want point increases because of PE lists, however, many units are overcosted in other legions (not Mortek of course, they could probably go up to 140 and still be fine). So in order to decrease the other unit costs in other legions, PE needs to be tweaked so that it does not make PE any stronger (Nerf PE, then look at points afterwards). Again obviously not talking about Mortek guard point decrease, that would be silly

On 1/28/2020 at 10:32 AM, Phasteon said:

Praetorians - generate RDP on 5+ instead of -1 bravery

Petrifex - reduce rend by 1 instead of +1 save 

Ivory Host - +1 to wound instead of +1 to hit. 

- I sort of prefer +1 save to units with a wound characteristic of 3+ (so no mortek). This solidifies PE as the Elite subfaction

- Ivory host needs a rework, OBR is already weak against shooting, and -1 save makes that even worse. Considering how low of a wound count OBR has, becoming fragile is really dangerous. My idea for Ivory host is too heavy for an FAQ though. (I'll post a comment below). There is just no case where I think +1 to hit is worth the -1 save

Edited by NoMaDhOoK
Rules fix

Hi all. This weekend i've participated in our local tournament in Kyiv for 12 players, 4 games, 2500 points, hidden agendas and got a second place :)

My roster was:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Petrifex Elite

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Archaeossian
- Artefact: Helm of the Ordained
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Artefact: Godbone Armour
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons

Battleline
40 x Mortek Guard (440)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (200)

Battalions
Mortek Shield-corps (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Nightmare Predator (40)

Total: 2500 / 2500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 500
Wounds: 108

The first game was against Sylvaneth player

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Winterleaf
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Arch-Revenant (100)
- General
- Trait: My Heart Is Ice
- Artefact: Frozen Kernel
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: The Dwellers Below
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
- Deepwood Spell: Treesong
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Treelord Ancient (260)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Battleline
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes

Battalions
Outcasts (100)

Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

Mission Knife To The Heart, Realm of Play: Aqshy, Realmscape Feature: Scorched Landscape

Seems it is rather easy match up for Ossiarchs. Ive got first turn, buffed main brick of Mortek Guard +1dmg +1 to wound 5++ against mortal wounds and 5+ double hit and moved it forward to the center of the field. 

On his turn I unbinded  Chronomantic Cogs  and all other magic stuff so deepstriked Durthu and other stuff didn't manage to charge. 

I won roll off and charged Durthu with the main brick of buffed Mortek Guard and smash him. On his turn he made some preparations to deepstrike near my home objective, but i unbind the forest summoning.

I won the roll off and buffed  Mortek Guard charged to his home objectives killing so me stuff. and also killing Allariel with Hand of Dust through the SpellPortal. 19-1 ( he got hidden agenda to lose Allariel :) )

The second game was against Nurgle player

Spoiler

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: Rustfang
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume (140)
Sorcerer (120)
- Artefact: Muttergrub
- Lore of Foulness: Cloying Quagmire
Lord of Plagues (140)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: Rune Blade

Battleline
20 x Putrid Blightkings (580)
20 x Putrid Blightkings (580)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Battalions
The Blessed Sons (40)
Plague Cyst (140)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 253

Mission Total Conquest, Realm of Play: Aqshy, Realmscape Feature: Every Step a League

He's got his first turn and charged my main brick with 20 of Blightkings, killing 6, 3 comes back from Harvester. Other Blightkings deepstriked to lonely 10 guards at my far objective and don't manage to kill them. He got 3 objectives

On my turn i killed Harbinger of Decay with Hand of Dust through the SpellPortal, buffed main brick of guards and killed 20 Blightkings. Lonely  10 guards survived once more against 20 Blightkings.  I ve got home objective and captured his far objective with unit of  10 guards 3 -3

He's got his turn and didn't manage to kill lonely guys ))) minor moves to screen his home point against my main brick.  3 - 5

In my turn Nagash and Kavalos moved to help lonely guys. Brick spread not let him to summon daemons from the trees behind my lines. Lonely guys survived once more :) 5- 5

Ive got roll off, killed Gutrot Spume with arcan bolts, got the charge with Kavalos and Nagash to Blightkings near lonely guys ( yes they was still living ), but buffed 10 guards manage to kill last 12 Blightkings by themselves.  9-5. His got 10 Blightkings and some heroes on the table so surrender. 

I won 20-0

Third game against Shootcast Etheranls

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (180)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Mount Trait: Wind Runner
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Artefact: Soulthief
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lightning Blast

Battleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (110)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (280)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

Battalions
Vanguard Justicar Conclave (120)

Extra Command Point (50)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 123

Mission Focal Points , Realm of Play: Shyish ,Realmscape Feature: Barren Moorland

I've got the first turn and rushed to his deployment zone, got 3 objectives: center and home. 4-0

He needs to deepstrike everything in his deployment zone to shoot down Nagash and secure 1 objective. 4-1

I've got the roll off and move the brick to his home objective. Other 10 man got the second home objective so ive got all 5: 12-1

He shoot down this brave 10 guys and teleport to my home objectives. Shoot 9 guys there but dont manage to secure the point.  12-3

I've got roll off, and prepare to die ) though 4 from 5 objectives was still mine. 18-3

He deepstriked to my second home objective, kill everyone but dont have models to secure it. 18-5

I've won roll off, charge to his home objective with all i left and got it back 23-5

On his turn he kill all my army and had all objectives under controll 23-13

on the last turn i dont have anything on the table and hes got 8 points for all obectives, but cant overtake me - 23-21 my victory 

The last game against Tzeentch

Spoiler

Allegiance: Tzeentch
- Change Coven: Eternal Conflaguration

Leaders
Changecaster, Herald of Tzeentch(110)
- Artefact: Shroud of Warpflame 
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (240)
- General
- Trait: Coruscating Flames 
- Artefact: Aura of Mutability 
- Lore of Fate: Shield of Fate
Kairos Fateweaver (400)
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
The Blue Scribes (120)
- Lore of Change: Treason of Tzeentch

Battleline
3 x Flamers of Tzeentch (120)
10 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (200)
10 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (200)

Units
3 x Exalted Flamers of Tzeentch (300)

Battalions
Changehost (180)

Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Wounds: 91

Final mission Star Strike ,Realm of Play: Shyish ,Realmscape Feature: Eternal War

My only loss for this tournament, too many shooting for ossiarhs, On turn 3 only Nagash left on the table ) Nuff said :) 

I killed Kairos with mirror, some pink horrors and some flamers. On the turn one harvester and half of the main brick guards were dead. On turn two only my home objective guys and Nagash lives. He got a double turn and kill everything except Nagash and secure all objectives with dozen of blue horrors )

So ive got my second place and silver medal :)

• Like 1

My idea for Ivory Host (along with descriptions as to why). This is a pipe-dream though because something this heavy would never come in an FAQ:

• Change +1 to hit -> + 1 to wound (we already have too many sources for + to hit)
  • Change the entire allegiance to be something along the lines of:
    • At the start of the combat phase, choose whether your army is calm or enraged, if they are calm nothing happens, if they are enraged, get + 1 to wound but -1 to save (maybe even +1 to hist and  +1 to wound, you'll see why below).
      • This also means that you are only weaker in the combat phase, rather than making you more vulnerable in all phases, when you get no benefit
      • This also means you get to control when to get he bonus, rather than relying on getting a unit injured
    • Change the CA from remove the -1 save detriment to "give +1 to attacks characteristic to an enraged" unit
      • Allowing you to circumvent the -1 save penalty means that the bonus can never be made to be worth it, otherwise when you use the CA, the unit becomes too powerful. This removing the circumvent CA means that we can get a stronger benefit
      • Since you also get more control over enraged vs calm, you don't need the CA (though you get no benefit from being calm)
Edited by NoMaDhOoK
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, NoMaDhOoK said:

My idea for Ivory Host (along with descriptions as to why). This is a pipe-dream though because something this heavy would never come in an FAQ:

• Change +1 to hit -> + 1 to wound (we already have too many sources for + to hit)
  • Change the entire allegiance to be something along the lines of:
    • At the start of the combat phase, choose whether your army is calm or enraged, if they are calm nothing happens, if they are enraged, get + 1 to wound but -1 to save (maybe even +1 to hist and  +1 to wound, you'll see why below).
      • This also means that you are only weaker in the combat phase, rather than making you more vulnerable in all phases, when you get no benefit
      • This also means you get to control when to get he bonus, rather than relying on getting a unit injured
    • Change the CA from remove the -1 save detriment to "give +1 to attacks characteristic to an enraged" unit
      • Allowing you to circumvent the -1 save penalty means that the bonus can never be made to be worth it, otherwise when you use the CA, the unit becomes too powerful. This removing the circumvent CA means that we can get a stronger benefit
      • Since you also get more control over enraged vs calm, you don't need the CA (though you get no benefit from being calm)

I‘d totally play that.

54 minutes ago, NoMaDhOoK said:

- I sort of prefer +1 save to units with a wound characteristic of 3+ (so no mortek). This solidifies PE as the Elite subfaction

It would need to be 4+ because of Deathriders though to really just affect the Heroes and „Colossi“ 

Also I would love Necropolis Stalkers as battleline in a Petrifex so you could skip Mortek and Deathriders completely to match the background.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NoMaDhOoK said:

OBR is already weak against shooting, and -1 save makes that even worse.

I went against a Tempest Eye cities army last weekend, and if I was any legion but PE I don't know if my units would have been able to reach his gunline without being obliterated. Having to charge into his handgunners cost me 10 mortek guard before they even got into combat. It was a really messy fight, even if I eventually came out on top thanks mostly to some teleport shenanigans with Arkhan (And my opponent managing to roll just bad enough to leave arkhan with 1 wound left)

Edited by Arcian

So I had my first game as the Bonereapers and actually only my 5th game of AoS ever.

We played a 2500 points Battle for the Pass game in the realm Ulgu and we also used a random twist card from the open play deck which added +2 movement and +1 to run and charge rolls. It was a fun game but I ended up losing to my opponents Archaon's list that had an allied Lord of Change after giving away for the first turn, allowing my opponent to run to the objectives and me messing up and not being able to get the charge I wanted first turn. I made a lot of mistakes, which can basically be summed up with "oh, (insert number of inches) is shorter / longer than I thought) mixed with "I have no idea what I am doing". A lot of my mistakes were also just positioning issues which meant that when I inevitably failed the needed charges, it let the big flying monsters (i'm looking at you Archaon) swoop in and do the damage to the units that were out of place i.e. I used the deathglaive battalion and so these units were in front my the mortek - thinking they would be able to charge first....silly me. Although I did manage to use the teleport from the Ulgu realm to teleport a unit of 20 mortek and take back an objective. But that allowed my opponent to send over the Varanguard, Archaon and Lord of Change over to the weaker side and basically overwhelm me there. On the upside, a unit of 10 Mortek held up both Archaon and a unit of Varanguard for a good amount of time. Was amazing to see a 130 point unit essentially survive against 1100 points of units. 

I think the things I need to learn (in a general sense) are: 

- Zoning out and screening the big flying threats (still looking at you Archaon) so they have to make big charges to be able to get into the back. 

- Just generally get better at judging things and having a solid game plan in mind. I was very reactionary and basically let my opponent dictate the flow of the game. After the teleport I mentioned, it meant my right side was without a 20 block. Which meant I had 2 x 20 mortek on one side (I couldn't teleport the one on the left side as I had used all my spells and I foolishly thought about doing this last, with a caster that was out of sight of the unit already on the left - I could have also just not done that and spent another turn just shuffling up as one. It is a 5 round game after all!). With no large block on the right, I had to bring the un teleported block from the left to the right, something which basically cost me a turn not holding a point. I also could have just cut my losses and try to really overpower one side. 

Anyway, lots of things to learn and work on in general. I am happy though that I do have this army to learn with. It seems to be unforgiving when you aren't doing well....but seeing 10 Mortek laugh in Archaon's face makes it all worth it! 

Edited by Mackattk
  • Like 1

So people in my meta seem to be shitting their pants over the new Tzeentch book after seeing how well they did at LVO/Cancon over the weekend.

Last tournament, I went 5-1 and 4/30 (or 40? I forget) and the only game I dropped was to old Tzeentch in a realm where they got to teleport off the side of the board. I haven't played against the new book.

So tell me, do you think it's as bad as people in my meta are saying?

If so, how are you going to combat the new book monster?

Malevolent Maelstrom to mess with casting? Palisade to block LOS for shooting/casting? More casters to dispell? Crawlers to take characters out? Harvesters to blunt the ranged damage?

Two ranks can fight with swords; three ranks with spears. 

The ones that have some issue are Deathriders because their bases are much much longer. You've got to stagger their order and even then you'll never get a proper "second rank" attacking at the same time. But if you space them so that they alternate forward-back-forward-back then you can get a little more room to put them in a line than if you put them directly side by side. 

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Two ranks can fight with swords; three ranks with spears. 

The ones that have some issue are Deathriders because their bases are much much longer. You've got to stagger their order and even then you'll never get a proper "second rank" attacking at the same time. But if you space them so that they alternate forward-back-forward-back then you can get a little more room to put them in a line than if you put them directly side by side. 

If you use the Deathriders command ability at the end of the charge, you'll get a 6" pile in that turn. That should be plenty to get all your bases swinging without needing to worry about two ranks.

1 hour ago, robpro said:

Wenn Sie am Ende des Angriffs die Befehlsfähigkeit Todesritter verwenden, erhalten Sie in diesem Zug einen 6-Zoll-Stapel. Das sollte ausreichen, um alle Ihre Basen zum Schwingen zu bringen, ohne sich um zwei Ränge kümmern zu müssen.

Thats true, but think of the fact, that you habe to pile for the nearest modell, so the 6" are very powerful nearly only at large bases or monsters/behemoths

On 1/28/2020 at 9:38 AM, NoMaDhOoK said:

- Ivory host needs a rework, OBR is already weak against shooting, and -1 save makes that even worse. Considering how low of a wound count OBR has, becoming fragile is really dangerous. My idea for Ivory host is too heavy for an FAQ though. (I'll post a comment below)

This is not true though as the rage is only in effect in the combat phase:

"At the start of the combat phase, each friendly IVORY
HOST unit that is within 6" of a friendly IVORY HOST
model that currently has any wounds allocated to it
becomes subject to rage until the end of that phase."

Not saying they are good, but we at least need the facts in order to suggest fixes ;)

I agree the +1 hit is not all that useful, making that +1 to wound would be cool though. It could also be remove rend from petrifex cmd, but instead give ivory +1 rend and -1 save during rage to "even it out" while still giving you the option to negate the save penalty. I would just like it to not be influenced by having taken wounds, as you check in the start of the phase, so essentially a non wounded unit charging in alone will not be using the allegiance abilities at all right now.

I also find it a shame nothing influences battleline options in the book, like other books such as KO or Ogors, where either a specific general or subfaction changes battleline options. Ivory host would if nothing else create some different lists if it could make stalkers, immortis and/or morghasts battleline.