AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

12 hours ago, Mackattk said:

Anyone have tips going against Slaves? What to look out for the most and what to target first? Any help appreciated. 

I mean.. if he has Archaon I would be prioritizing him as he's more than just a distraction carnifex. I've yet to play them myself since their update as our one local guy that runs them has been busy with CoS and IJ.. but I have a feeling he may bust them out soon.

I will say, with the nerf to the Nurgle ability from the Daemon Prince, you'll likely be a bit better off as you won't be auto-killing yourself by attacking a unit with that buff. Knights can put out a lot of damage, so I would be wary of that.. though, so can Mortek and your 6 Stalkers. It will likely come down to cat and mouse tactics and playing for a double-turn to wipe 1-3 units out and ensuring you aren't letting those Stalkers get charged.

So I'll be collecting my first tithe this sunday. I have an ok list but im pretty pumped any way. But I do have a question.

One guy at my local gw really really thinks Bonereapers are OP and not fun to play against. Now I probably will just use my nighthaunt against him to avoid salt, but it did get me worried. Are Bonereapers boring to play against? I will be playing Null Myriad instead of Petrifax elite, so I have to assume It can't be that bad.

Reapers are boring to play against for people who put very little terrain on the table; who don't pay attention to the objectives and who mostly want to just charge straight into combat without thinking and kill stuff. If you do that against Reapers you basically lose if the Reaper force works properly and if the player used them right. Charging head long into mortek guard whilst they are shielding a harvester or two - that's doing exactly what the Ossiarch player wants you to do. 

Deep striking a group of units in to lock a harvester in close combat behind the mortek guard; forcing the ossiarch player to either pull the guard back to keep them in range of the aura and protect the harvester; or keep moving them forward to contest the objective - now that's messing with the ossiarchs.

Also some dislike that at the end of the fight they might have won against Ossiarchs by objectives rather than killing; which is just people learning that there's more to the game than just straight killing. 

Petrifax are considered broken by many with the whole +1 save to the whole army. It's about the worst thing Ossiarchs do right now and about one thing I'd say is fair to consider somewhat if not totally broken. Otherwise they are simply a very tough army. They also require proper control too - their slower army wide speed and general fewer units on the table means that you've got to use them smartly and have a plan otherwise you can easily fall apart. They can't react as swiftly to changes as some other armies can. They can boost speed, but it costs them so you've got to make the cost count; and you can't do it to the whole army. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As usual people seem to boil down 1 overpowered legion (PE with Mortek Guard blobs) to be that the whole army is overpowered. 

Someone not wanting to play against petrifex elite is understandable, but if they refuse to play the whole army (with other legions), they're just jumping on the hate train and aren't worth playing against anyway

Edited by NoMaDhOoK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Reapers are boring to play against for people who put very little terrain on the table; who don't pay attention to the objectives and who mostly want to just charge straight into combat without thinking and kill stuff. If you do that against Reapers you basically lose if the Reaper force works properly and if the player used them right. Charging head long into mortek guard whilst they are shielding a harvester or two - that's doing exactly what the Ossiarch player wants you to do. 

Deep striking a group of units in to lock a harvester in close combat behind the mortek guard; forcing the ossiarch player to either pull the guard back to keep them in range of the aura and protect the harvester; or keep moving them forward to contest the objective - now that's messing with the ossiarchs.

Also some dislike that at the end of the fight they might have won against Ossiarchs by objectives rather than killing; which is just people learning that there's more to the game than just straight killing. 

Petrifax are considered broken by many with the whole +1 save to the whole army. It's about the worst thing Ossiarchs do right now and about one thing I'd say is fair to consider somewhat if not totally broken. Otherwise they are simply a very tough army. They also require proper control too - their slower army wide speed and general fewer units on the table means that you've got to use them smartly and have a plan otherwise you can easily fall apart. They can't react as swiftly to changes as some other armies can. They can boost speed, but it costs them so you've got to make the cost count; and you can't do it to the whole army. 

This is very true for every game i've played against people at my local shop. Everyone seems to enjoy facing them, as they're used to just charging headlong and smashing things apart but my army is able to take the hit and punch back. Which I guess is a bit different for them. I was running a crawler and harvesters for awhile. I've since swapped them out for some other things and am trying out a unit of six stalkers.  The ogor/maggotkin guy at the shop actually super loves the 20 mortek guard blocks with a harvester as support idea, and would love to go against a Crematorium meme list featuring them.

The sylvaneth player actually did deep strike some revenants (I think?) in behind my crawler to try and take it out, but Arkhan just gobbled them up. And the FEC player tried to bullrush into the crawler but it didn't make it that far and got tied up by the mortek guard, which let me move the stalkers in and decimate his two terrorgeists.  So far my limited experience lines up with your points, if you just charge guns blazing into the OBR they will most likely blunt your attack, take the hit, and swing back.

The players all seem semi-competitive so i've been fielding petrifex (I also just really love the extra rend command ability) but i've started asking them if they're cool with it now, I don't mind swapping to a different legion if they'd prefer it.  So far they do appreciate that the army doesn't really do any fight first/fight last/fight again shenanigans that other armies do.

4 minutes ago, Turragor said:

The bracket that likes to take netlists but doesn't like to think about it. Sore losers ;)

Actually everyone is super chill at the shop! Nobody has really complained about the OBR, except the Skaven player 😂

I was really worried about it once I saw some complaints online, but everyone I play with comes away with having a good time so I guess i'm lucky there. Hopefully it's because i'm very friendly the entire time.

Edited by Arcian
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arcian said:

Actually everyone is super chill at the shop!

Aww now I feel bad. I was imagining the worst kind of player instead of being a happy mushroom.

In my experience playing with a bunch of armies and lists (reasonably competitively or with "consenting amateur adults" lol) there is no "cheese" ppl get angered by. It's all a learning experience.

• Haha 1

Just now, Turragor said:

Aww now I feel bad. I was imagining the worst kind of player instead of being a happy mushroom.

In my experience playing with a bunch of armies and lists (reasonably competitively or with "consenting amateur adults" lol) there is no "cheese" ppl get angered by. It's all a learning experience.

Don't feel bad! I think I worded that big post badly if i'm being honest! If I feel like the list i'm bringing is "strong" then I usually clear it with my opponent first. I don't want to bring my big boy list against a meme list you know? I'm trying to get loads of practice in because I eventually would like to try my hand at some tournaments in my local area. So people at the shop seem willing to throw down on that lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arcian said:

I don't want to bring my big boy list against a meme list you know?

This is exactly how I feel with the lists I would take to a tournament too. You learn little stomping someone playing "just what they have" or something friendly.

Anyway, here's the first of 6 Stalkers

Are you actually running a Stalker with Dread Flachions? I read this is suboptimal in almost every possible way. Not that it should be the deciding factor, just wondering.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Dala said:

Are you actually running a Stalker with Dread Flachions? I read this is suboptimal in almost every possible way. Not that it should be the deciding factor, just wondering.

If you use them to go after something like a Maw Crushers, being able to turn a 2+ save into a 6+ save actually helps.

• Like 1

@Dala Yes unfortunately.. I didn't read up enough on math beforehand. Overall they still work well enough and telling people you have 4 hits come through at -4 rend with Bludgeon is hilarious.

The only time they suck honestly is when you're hit with -1 or you don't have your +1, which is why I tend to run Katakros over relying on the Shrieker to get out. They're the first in the unit to die typically, so yeah.

I also can't help but think, long term, GW will realise that one aspect and weapon choice is like 4 times the damage of anything else and bring it all back down to where the falchions are an "elite" better choice again.

That could take time though and I still plan on building my next 3 without.

• Like 2

Finally made it to 2k points of Bonereapers (not including Nagash). Gonna try out this list on Friday.  

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
Mortisan Soulreaper (120)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
30 x Mortek Guard (390)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (400)
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
Mortisan Trident (110)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 111

I know the trident is suboptimal, but it's either that or I drop one of the heroes and run two gothizzar harvesters.  As far as models I own not included in the list I have one more harvester and the endless spells. 

What do we think?

Hello, has anyone considered running katakros and Arkhan? That's 860pts. Nagash is 880pts. You get a ton of abilities  lots of resurrections, and RDPs. You have great magic n cc. I look at the other wizards in this army. N try to put them in but there not that great for how high their pts are. Has anyone ran with both at once? How did they do?

I was thinking 

Katakros 

Arkhan 

Predator spell

20 mortek guard 

20 mortek guard

5 deathriders 

N that leaves 400pts

Maybe 2 crawlers. 

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Scgt said:

Hello, has anyone considered running katakros and Arkhan? That's 860pts. Nagash is 880pts. You get a ton of abilities  lots of resurrections, and RDPs. You have great magic n cc. I look at the other wizards in this army. N try to put them in but there not that great for how high their pts are. Has anyone ran with both at once? How did they do?

I haven't had many games with this list, but it was a pretty great success against my opponent. Even if I was too tired and made some hilariously bad misplays. Another user put this up. Arkhan brought tremendous good unbinding rolls against my maggotkin opponent (who was running a GUO, Glottkin, and Exalted GUO) and the OBR spells put in some work with their buffs. Katakros is also great with his debuffs, his massive +1 hit aura, and all that juicy juicy RDP

Arkhan
Katakros

20 mortek
20 mortek
5 Deathriders

6 Stalkers

Nightmare Predator

I think your list will be fine with 2 catapults, but against heavy armored armies or armies that can do a bit of outflanking it might be a problem maybe?

I would have 400pts 

So 1 crawler

N I could go

stalkers for more combat

Immortis guard to protect arkhan

I was thinking 1 crawler and liege kavalos for more RDPs but also could boost the crawler up to 5 shots. 

So last night I got curbstomped by my buddies Sylvaneth in my second ever game with bonereapers. However I still had a lot of fun and for most of the game I was only behind by 2 points in objectives which I'm quite happy with.

My list I ran was the following:

Subfaction: Crematorian (Or burny bois if you will)

-Boneshaper (General, crematorian trait and artefact)
-Boneshaper 2 (electric boogaloo)
-Liege Kavalos (Artefact: Helm of the ordained)

20x Mortek Guard
5x Deathriders w/Swords
5x Deathrider w/Lances
1x Harvester
2x Morghast Archai

Batallion: Kavalos Lance

So I probably misplayed to heck (because I still do not have enough games under my belt really in AoS in general) however I found that the cavalry gave some good punch and when the morghast got stuck in they certainly surprised me. One big problem was not enough bodies to hold objectives (especially backfield) we played border war which meant having to try and split my force, which did not go down well with this list for sure. I also had my liege with the lances (lances did very well with empower weapons) and the sword cav were on their own but I think I should keep the entire battalion together and have them ride around causing mayhem like a gang of bullies.

This list was basically everything I have built so far, I still have 10 more guard and 3 stalkers to build. I'm thinking for the future of this list possibly looking at adding in katakros (because he's cool and the longer range resurrection would benefit the cavalry) and using some of the endless spells because the nightmare predator is pretty and would give me something to potentially chase around backline heroes (though he is 2d6 move which is oof) I also want to increase the lance cavalry to 10 to get some nice exploding lances on the charge. I'm ideally trying to get it to work without spamming mortek guard since putting loads of them together and giving them the straw hats I was converting is a pain but 2 of 20 would probably be better than 20 and 10. Though it's also points I can't spend on the pretty horses or something with good rend and damage (like stalkers)

7 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

Quite a few people are running KatArkhan at LVO. We'll see this weekend.

To be exact  7 of the 19 Bonereapers lists have Arkhan and of those 7 4 also have Katakros. 

I believe I am the only one running the duo at cancon this weekend, definitely going to be interesting to see how they go, I have faith in my list