AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

7 hours ago, Heijoshin said:

Pretty much the same list I was thinking and wrote at the top of this page to counter some heavy shooting or magic. What are your overall takeaways from this list? Is the double battalion too much? 

What do you feel about the deathglaive battalion? Did your opponent deploy a lot deeper knowing you would be taking first turn and going straight in? How did the deathglaive units fair after your opponents first round? Did they survive? 

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get an idea of how well a list like ours would hold up. 

Yep I copied your list from the top of the page and made a few changes. I got the idea of running this list from the Unlocking Age of Sigmar: Ossiarch Bonereapers with The Lord of Death video by Doom & Darkness on YouTube. 

My overall takeaway is that it's good. Having 4 drops is important when you want to alpha strike with the Deathglaive, so two battalions is awesome. This lets you spread out your drops in order to get the deployment matchups you want. Another benefit is that you get an extra two RD points, two artifacts (allowing you to load up all your heroes) and you have a very good chance of deciding who goes first. 

The deathglaive did well for me.  I took out a unit of 2 mournfang with it before my harbingers got deleted by a Stonehorn. It forced my opponent to deal with it immediately. I prevented him from charging his 2 Stonehorns and Frostlord into the midfield for 3 rounds. I imagine it doing much more damage against some other armies. My opponent did prepare for an alpha strike, but I didn't let him know where it was going. It forced him to deploy conservatively with an army that you typically charge up the field. 

I used the unit of 10 Mortek and the Liege-Kavalos as a kind of vanguard to take an objective in the middle of the board. They did well, but my Liege fell to Thundertusk shooting and a Stonehorn charge. I regret not keeping him alive longer. Also, I started the game with 11 RD points. Throughout the game, I don't think I ever started with less than 5. 

No worries on the questions. I'm going to keep playing this list and seeing what works/doesn't work. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the Nightmare Predator is awesome. That thing did some work for me. Also, next time I might try Stalliarch Lords instead of Petrifex. There were times where a run and charge would have helped, as well as retreat and charge.

Edited by KK9T

Didn't want to do a full batrep as I'm tired of doing them for Sylvaneth.. but I played them again using the Katakros, Arkhan, 2x20 Mortek with 5 Kavalos and 6 Stalkers list I posted previously.

Battleplan was Starstrike which had me a bit worried on deployment, but they average landing in the middle of the board and the Kavalos deployed center allowed some reactionary movement. Long story short, he couldn't get any woods out and decided to just turtle out of LoS/range for 2 turns while I moved up and controlled the board. Stalkers absolutely brutalized his 6 unit of Kurnoth.. though they did kill 3 Stalkers in total. Those were the only casualties of the game as me getting a double on t2-3 and winning priority on 3-4 sealed the deal.

So yeah... big fan of that list and I would say it's the competitive choice that I'll stick with for awhile. Though.. I'll probably go back to Skaven until my Tzeentch stuff comes in within a couple weeks.

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Didn't want to do a full batrep as I'm tired of doing them for Sylvaneth.. but I played them again using the Katakros, Arkhan, 2x20 Mortek with 5 Kavalos and 6 Stalkers list I posted previously.

Battleplan was Starstrike which had me a bit worried on deployment, but they average landing in the middle of the board and the Kavalos deployed center allowed some reactionary movement. Long story short, he couldn't get any woods out and decided to just turtle out of LoS/range for 2 turns while I moved up and controlled the board. Stalkers absolutely brutalized his 6 unit of Kurnoth.. though they did kill 3 Stalkers in total. Those were the only casualties of the game as me getting a double on t2-3 and winning priority on 3-4 sealed the deal.

So yeah... big fan of that list and I would say it's the competitive choice that I'll stick with for awhile. Though.. I'll probably go back to Skaven until my Tzeentch stuff comes in within a couple weeks.

How do you feel about 1x6 stalkers vs 2 crawlers? Stalkers have a lot of killing power, but crawlers with range and being able to easily target support characters is huge too

29 minutes ago, Blitzd said:

How do you feel about 1x6 stalkers vs 2 crawlers? Stalkers have a lot of killing power, but crawlers with range and being able to easily target support characters is huge too

Haven't played with 2 Crawlers but have with 1 obviously and.. yeah. Bottom line for me is that I just don't like the consistency of the Crawler nor how easily it's tied up.

I know the competitive take (according to winning lists from BCP) are mostly all taking 2 Crawlers, and having 2 definitely helps to mitigate some of that swinginess factor. The other issue of it getting tied up can also be mitigated using 2 as most armies could potentially tie up 1 but.. likely not 2 (unless Seraphon, Changehost, Shadow Warriors, Tree-Revs, anything that's ultra-fast, etc) but to me that's still a potential issue if even 1 gets denied.

With 1x6 Stalkers, I have a reasonably defensive unit (-2 rend Kurnoth Scythes still hurt obviously 😅) that will be able to deal with high armor targets or beefy heroes like GKoTG's, Maw-Krusha's, Stonehorns and the like.. and will still delete weak saved hordes all the same. With 2 Crawlers, you're largely aiming at support heroes and hordes, but against some armies they really just aren't great and shooting at anything with a 2-3+ save has usually not ended well from my experience. Now.. all in all that's not to say 2 Crawlers are bad; they're great and used competitively for a reason. I just don't know that they will holdout in that scene forever and may potentially be replaced by the Stalkers who are a bit more versatile overall.

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Haven't played with 2 Crawlers but have with 1 obviously and.. yeah. Bottom line for me is that I just don't like the consistency of the Crawler nor how easily it's tied up.

I know the competitive take (according to winning lists from BCP) are mostly all taking 2 Crawlers, and having 2 definitely helps to mitigate some of that swinginess factor. The other issue of it getting tied up can also be mitigated using 2 as most armies could potentially tie up 1 but.. likely not 2 (unless Seraphon, Changehost, Shadow Warriors, Tree-Revs, anything that's ultra-fast, etc) but to me that's still a potential issue if even 1 gets denied.

With 1x6 Stalkers, I have a reasonably defensive unit (-2 rend Kurnoth Scythes still hurt obviously 😅) that will be able to deal with high armor targets or beefy heroes like GKoTG's, Maw-Krusha's, Stonehorns and the like.. and will still delete weak saved hordes all the same. With 2 Crawlers, you're largely aiming at support heroes and hordes, but against some armies they really just aren't great and shooting at anything with a 2-3+ save has usually not ended well from my experience. Now.. all in all that's not to say 2 Crawlers are bad; they're great and used competitively for a reason. I just don't know that they will holdout in that scene forever and may potentially be replaced by the Stalkers who are a bit more versatile overall.

My think too though is with ko and tzeentch the new hotness, it ranged is going to be critical if it is going to take us 3 turns to get to the gunline

47 minutes ago, Blitzd said:

My think too though is with ko and tzeentch the new hotness, it ranged is going to be critical if it is going to take us 3 turns to get to the gunline

Well yeah, you'll always be at a disadvantage against heavy shooting\spells. Changehost is going to be quite popular, but if you can take out that LoC asap then it neuters that pretty quickly, which the Crawlers could be great for along with the hordes of Horrors. KO seems to be wanting to run a lot of ships now which have higher saves\more wounds.. so to me I would actually rather use the Stalkers.

Like I said, I like 2 Crawlers but I'm not sure of their longevity. That and I really don't want to do that to anyone locally except the most competitive people obviously who can play against it.. of which there is only a couple that can actually give me those levels of games. Who knows.. I may just proxy the other one a couple times to see how it goes for me.

In general, what armies do you guys feel are the best/worst matchups in terms of factions against OBR? I know it’s very open-ended and usually based around the list, but I want to get some generalized  opinions on what armies counter us the best, or which one’s we have the easiest time beating. 

8 hours ago, AngryPanda said:

In general, what armies do you guys feel are the best/worst matchups in terms of factions against OBR? I know it’s very open-ended and usually based around the list, but I want to get some generalized  opinions on what armies counter us the best, or which one’s we have the easiest time beating. 

I would have to rate things with high rend shooting (or even melee) or high MW output to be detrimental to our health. Things with high board control can be difficult too depending on the battleplan. Skaven, Tzeentch (particularly Changehost), maybe even Fyreslayers with large Hearthguard blocks (which, is all the lists, really 😅) or heavy magic\shooting from Tempest Eye or Hallowheart could all cause problems. Hell, even Seraphons board control could be hard to deal with, although with the lack of punchy units, once you had an objective it would probably remain yours the entire game as they would struggle to take any OBR units off them.

I'm sure there's potentially more examples, but that's what I can see off the top of my head.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 3:34 PM, KK9T said:

Yep I copied your list from the top of the page and made a few changes. I got the idea of running this list from the Unlocking Age of Sigmar: Ossiarch Bonereapers with The Lord of Death video by Doom & Darkness on YouTube. 

My overall takeaway is that it's good. Having 4 drops is important when you want to alpha strike with the Deathglaive, so two battalions is awesome. This lets you spread out your drops in order to get the deployment matchups you want. Another benefit is that you get an extra two RD points, two artifacts (allowing you to load up all your heroes) and you have a very good chance of deciding who goes first. 

The deathglaive did well for me.  I took out a unit of 2 mournfang with it before my harbingers got deleted by a Stonehorn. It forced my opponent to deal with it immediately. I prevented him from charging his 2 Stonehorns and Frostlord into the midfield for 3 rounds. I imagine it doing much more damage against some other armies. My opponent did prepare for an alpha strike, but I didn't let him know where it was going. It forced him to deploy conservatively with an army that you typically charge up the field. 

I used the unit of 10 Mortek and the Liege-Kavalos as a kind of vanguard to take an objective in the middle of the board. They did well, but my Liege fell to Thundertusk shooting and a Stonehorn charge. I regret not keeping him alive longer. Also, I started the game with 11 RD points. Throughout the game, I don't think I ever started with less than 5. 

No worries on the questions. I'm going to keep playing this list and seeing what works/doesn't work. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the Nightmare Predator is awesome. That thing did some work for me. Also, next time I might try Stalliarch Lords instead of Petrifex. There were times where a run and charge would have helped, as well as retreat and charge.

Thanks for the info! Could you clarify what you mean by "spreading your drops"? Do you mean that you don't HAVE to drop if I don't want to, but can basically "skip" a few drops and drop my four nearer to when my opponent has finished, thus seen more of their deployment, but still ensuring I can choose first turn?

I'm still on the fence about my own artefacts, and whether to take the Soulmason or not. I fear that against some heavy shooting (albeit with not THAT much rend) and heavy magic, I would need the extra Boneshaper.  How did the Gothizzar Cartouche work out for you? Wholly within 9 is pretty small, which is also another reason I am not thinking about the Soulmason. Similar decision with taking the Shrieker or going helm of the ordained.  I prefer certainty which is why I chose Helm. I guess it also depends on how tanky 9 wound, 2+ (potentially rerolling 1's) Kavalos actually is and how much damage I can do turn 1. I guess against shooting, and If the Kav was with the stalkers (and they survived) I would still get "look out Sir!" on the Kavalos still...I think.  

Interesting about the predator! I guess against a hero focused Hallowheart, it could work out really well. Forcing them to back off and rethink their movement. May have to switch some spells around and see if it can fit in! 

How fast were your Mortek in following up the deathglaive? Bit sluggish or were they in the thick of it turn 2? With so many RDP that you were getting, were the Mortek shield Corp worth it you think? 

I'll also let you know when I finally get my games in with this list!

Edited by Heijoshin

Does anyone else not like the Katakros model? I feel like it's weird that this retinue of dudes moves around and the rocks that they stand on move with them.

In that same vein would it be cool to try and convert a model that is the "Spirit of Katakros"? As in just released from the stormvault hasn't been given his godly codpiece yet. Some ghost spirits could represent the different dudes with him.

I want to convert Katakros with one of the artillery models to create a mobile command platform. It's one thing I really like about the Sisters of Battle scenic model in that whilst its also set upon stones, the whole party is clearly "on the move", whilst Katakross is very much standing still.

Now in theory that works well for his lore and if this were a Warmaster scale game chances are he would stay in one place, immobile issuing his orders to his army. However in AoS the whole battlefield moves around; very few units can sit in one place the entire game. Of them all are ranged units, whilst Katakross is a close combat unit. So he not only want to move with the army to give aura benefits, but to also engage in close combat. 

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

I want to convert Katakros with one of the artillery models to create a mobile command platform. It's one thing I really like about the Sisters of Battle scenic model in that whilst its also set upon stones, the whole party is clearly "on the move", whilst Katakross is very much standing still.

I feel like his mini is more "surveying the battlefield" sort of stance.  The way he has his shield set gives me this feeling of this is all beneath him? Maybe i'm looking too much into it based on his lore.

4 minutes ago, Arcian said:

I feel like his mini is more "surveying the battlefield" sort of stance.  The way he has his shield set gives me this feeling of this is all beneath him? Maybe i'm looking too much into it based on his lore.

No its very much that he's considering everyone beneath him. That's why he's not raised his shield until his retinue falls. For he is the Undefeated. Only for the most gifted of opponents would Katakross ever need to raise shield and blade to contest. 

Thanks for the info! Could you clarify what you mean by "spreading your drops"? Do you mean that you don't HAVE to drop if I don't want to, but can basically "skip" a few drops and drop my four nearer to when my opponent has finished, thus seen more of their deployment, but still ensuring I can choose first turn?

Exactly. It allows you to get the deployment match ups you want, while having less drops than your opponent. 

How did the Gothizzar Cartouche work out for you? Wholly within 9 is pretty small, which is also another reason I am not thinking about the Soulmason.

It was only my second game playing OBR and I completely forgot about the artifacts I gave my Boneshaper and Soulmason. Another reason to take the Soulmason is that he's a double caster, and his spell Soul-guide is pretty good. If you're concerned about healing, then two Boneshapers is probably the way to go.

Interesting about the predator! I guess against a hero focused Hallowheart, it could work out really well. Forcing them to back off and rethink their movement. May have to switch some spells around and see if it can fit in! 

It made my opponent rethink advancing his ethereal Stonehorn for the first round. I cast this spell 3 times in the game, first time it did no damage but kept the Stonehorn at bay (opponent dispelled it), second time I put 6 mortal wounds on his Thundertusk (was dispelled after I killed the Thundertusk), and the third time I put 5 wounds on his Butcher and did D3 wounds to his Hunter. Great spell. 

How fast were your Mortek in following up the deathglaive? Bit sluggish or were they in the thick of it turn 2? With so many RDP that you were getting, were the Mortek shield Corp worth it you think? 

This was my biggest mistake of the game. I kept 2 units of 20 Mortek Guard deep in my territory until the 5th round. For some reason I thought it was important to keep them back to guard objectives. I would have had a major victory if I had advanced my Guard in the 3rd round. IMO, the shield corp is worth it just to keep your drops down. The extra RD, bonus shield wall and artifact make it even better. 

I'll also let you know when I finally get my games in with this list!

Sounds good. Hope it works out!

Edited by KK9T

So I've been playing with a few lists. Sharing this one. Its 4 wins 0 losses currently. Its played and beaten Skaven, Tzeench, Stormcast and a rather nasty Khorne list. For those that dont like packs of guard in more than 20, I've also had 2 wins with this list but removing 10 guard and adding an extra Boneshaper which also gives you a 10 point deficit and can earn you a triumph if your that way inclined, or simply make it 20,20,10.

The OBR ROFL list:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Mortal Realm: Shyish
- Legion: Petrifex Elite

LEADERS
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
- General
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- Artefact : Godbone Armour
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Artefact : Artisan's Key
- Lore of Mortisans : Drain Vitality

UNITS
30 x Mortek Guard (390)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
- 3 x Soulcleaver Greatblades
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- 2 x Soulcleaver Greatblades
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)

BATTALIONS
Kavalos Lance (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Nightmare Predator (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 112
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400

Edited by Major
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Has anyone tried the Stalliarch lords yet? For a 1200-1600 point campaign I am considering a Stalliarch lords list based on Cavalry, with the 1200 core start looking like this:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Stalliarch Lords

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)

Battleline
10 x Kavalos Deathriders (360)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Units
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (200)

Total: 1200 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 79

Any feedback is welcome on the list, and especially with experiences with Stalliarch lords. My thinking with a unit of 10 Kavaloi is to maximize my RDP, for both +1 attack, retreat and charge etc, which will let most of the list rapidly redeploy and hit where it hurts most. Stalkers also synergise well, as their cmd ability allows both run and charge rerolls I think.

12 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

Does anyone else not like the Katakros model? I feel like it's weird that this retinue of dudes moves around and the rocks that they stand on move with them.

In that same vein would it be cool to try and convert a model that is the "Spirit of Katakros"? As in just released from the stormvault hasn't been given his godly codpiece yet. Some ghost spirits could represent the different dudes with him.

You could put him on a chariot.

13 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

I enjoy his model so much. There is also a passage in the tome about him and his retinue facing a lord of change, which drives home the point how he really does not want to lower himself to menial tasks, but after his entire crew is decimated he calmly just slices of the head of the LoC and proceeds to a new vantage point to command his forces.

So many models have scenery on their bases anyway, just imagine he is finding vantage points on the battlefield, commands/fights then proceeds to a new one. 

14 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Has anyone tried the Stalliarch lords yet?

I'm planning on trying this list with the Stalliarch Lords legion instead of Petrifex. I like the idea of the Deathglaive being able to run and charge and retreat and charge, as well as giving my Mortek Guard even more mobility. 

• Liege Kav 
    • Twisted Challange
    • Nadir-bound Mount
    • General
  • Soul Mason
    • Gothizzar Cartouche
    • Spell: Arcane Command
  • Bone Shaper
    • Artisans key
    • Spell: Drain Vitality 
  • Mortek Guard x 20 - Swords
  • Mortek Guard x 10 - Swords

• 1 unit Morghast Harbinger 
  • 1 Unit Stalker w/ Dread Falchions

• Mortek Shield Corp
  • Katakrosian Death Glaive
  • Nightmare Predator
  • Bone-tithe Shrieker
Edited by KK9T

14 minutes ago, KK9T said:

I'm planning on trying this list with the Stalliarch Lords legion instead of Petrifex. I like the idea of the Deathglaive being able to run and charge and retreat and charge, as well as giving my Mortek Guard even more mobility. 

• Liege Kav 
    • Godbone Armour
    • Mighty Archaeossian
    • General
  • Soul Mason
    • Gothizzar Cartouche
    • Spell: Arcane Command
  • Bone Shaper
    • Artisans key
    • Spell: Drain Vitality 
  • Mortek Guard x 10 - Swords

• 1 unit Morghast Harbinger 

• Mortek Shield Corp
  • Katakrosian Death Glaive
  • Nightmare Predator
  • Bone-tithe Shrieker

I tried something similar the other night but I found it can hit hard only if it survives long enough to hit. And more often than not my units did not survive in great enough numbers. If you had more of something there to help reduce the numbers of models you are taking off units as they traverse the table like the harvesters or boneshapers it would be more effective. But those are just y findings from my games with a similar list. 

7 hours ago, Major said:

I tried something similar the other night but I found it can hit hard only if it survives long enough to hit. And more often than not my units did not survive in great enough numbers. If you had more of something there to help reduce the numbers of models you are taking off units as they traverse the table like the harvesters or boneshapers it would be more effective. But those are just y findings from my games with a similar list. 

I do not see all that much reason to run Stalliarch Lords without deathriders though, traversing the table should be the least of the problems when using that legion, with deathriders being 12"+3+d6+1+2d6+1 charge threat range which means you can roll all snake eyes but still charge 20" and up to 31"! 

I feel the entire point of that list would be to keep out of range of everything critical, then swoop in with a long bomb charge on all the riders, maybe in 10 man units and also possibly a deathglaive of stalkers/morghast to keep up for a devastating early charge.

The command ability to disengage also only works on mounted units, but I am thinking this could be of some worth especially for 10 man rider units, which could really make the opponent sweat, if they manage to break the lines and then keep going in following turns, hunting down vulnerable targets.

I have my first big 2k game coming up next week against my friends Slaves to Darkness. I have this list, but I am not sure how to handle StD, as it all seems quite overwhelming with how much overlap there is and all the marks that they can have. 

This is my list: 

• Liege Kavalos - General
    • God Bone armor
  • Mortisan Boneshaper
    • Artisan's key
  • Mortisan Boneshaper
  • Soulmason

• Mortek guard x 20
    • Swords
  • Mortek guard x 20
    • Swords
  • Mortek guard x 10
    • Swords

• Necropolis Stalkers x 6 
  • Gothizzar Harvester

• Mortek Shield-Corp
  • Bone-Tithe Shrieker
    2000/2000

This is what I am thinking of as I don't expect the one crawler I have to do much work for me with their high armour saves. 

I am not exactly sure what I would be up against exactly, but probably some combination of: 

• Archaon
  • The new Chaos Lord on lizard
  • Chaos sorcerers (either with or without mount)
  • Chaos warriors x 15
  • Chaos Knights
  • Chaos Marauder Horsemen
  • Chaos Chariot
  • Daemon Prince
  • and some Tzeentch units? I am not sure how the ally system work in bringing in over units from other factions into StD. 

Anyone have tips going against Slaves? What to look out for the most and what to target first? Any help appreciated. 

Edited by Mackattk